Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek VieilleOud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille

Brouwerij Oud Beersel visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2002)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille Alström Bros
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Funky little 375 ml green bottle, caged and corked, with an outrageous best before date of like 2025!

Poured a murky, pink-reddish brown, like the color of raspberry puree. A light pink champagne like head settles to a thin topper.

Cherries are up front in the nose, tart but not sweet, with a bit of leather and barnard funk.

Light in body, with a sparkling carbonation. This isn't your typical sweet and fruity kriek. It goes from lightly tart to bone dry, which gives it a great drinkability. Lots of strange funkiness, which just makes it more inticing and complex.

The best I've had of the style.

10-23-2005 14:59:00 | More by Shultzerdugen
kmcnair

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

Crazy sour vinegar nose, smells like a stale musty barnyard with a hint of sour cherries. Pours a deep burgundy/brick red hue and makes a fizzy pink head. Flavor is vinegary, hint of sour cherries, tastes very much like a sour red wine... very tart and astringent, hint of cranberry. Light on the palate, coats the mouth very thin and finishes quite dry. Nice quality lambic, moderately complex, enjoyed this one.

10-04-2005 03:06:21 | More by kmcnair
RedDiamond

Oregon

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A kriek lambic presented in a heavy 375 ml corked and caged bottle that made an enthused POP upon uncorking. This beer has a pungent, sour aroma of considerable endurance and a tall head of bubbles the color of plums or cyanotic lips. The color of the body is also very sexy – a ruddy cherry color like a lipstick, a sportscar, or Vegas casino dice.

I can’t quite read the “best before” date unless it actually says best before 10, 2024. <Laugh! I’ve just read reviews with similarly absurd observations.>

I suppose I was expecting some fruited sweetness from the cherries to emerge – especially with all the color they contribute to the body. But this was effectively overruled by the full lambic sourness. I can’t say as I’d care to drink any great measure of this beer, but the puckering tartness has a frolicking refreshment to it.

09-19-2005 00:09:02 | More by RedDiamond
gbontrag

Colorado

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Thick pastel pink froth rises to the top of my New Belgium snifter tightly packing the glass. Then it starts a show of decomposition and falls just like it rose; steadily and with purpose ending in an uneven rocky froth that covers a rosy liquid with a dash of orange - someone should really develop a tea rose called Kriek.
The lace is provocative as it covers, stretches, rips and slides off the side of the chalice.
Why should I even describe this to you? She was wet and sour and she quenched my fire. She gave me sweet tender kisses inside raspberry tendrils covered in not quite ripe fruit. Her finger tips tasted of sandalwood, patchouli, and sex. If I could own this, all of it, every sexy bit of her, I would never share her. I'd laugh as she teased you; I'd laugh as I described my passion with her; I'd never share a taste with anybody. She's my Cleopatra.

09-17-2005 21:18:14 | More by gbontrag
PatYoda

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Best by sometime in 2022. This is my first real Kriek so I may be updating this review as I gain more experience in the style (and finish off the Cantillon and De Ranke in my fridge). Smell is a little oak and vinegar in the back dominated by an overpowering sourness. There is some mustiness that perks up at one point bringing to mind an old cobwebby barn. Very subtle though. Taste is shockingly sour! This is possibly the sourest thing ever. Very acidic. And yet behind it all, there is a little bit of bread, and of course the cherry flavor, though it is purely tart and not sweet at all as others have mentioned. The cherry comes out more as it warms, making this taste juicier, but I prefer it served very cold. The finish is extremely dry and never ending! It took me forever to finish this bottle, but I savored every last drop.

09-13-2005 02:17:39 | More by PatYoda
egajdzis

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle best before 03 04 2023.... Poured a hazy, deep ruby red color with a small pink head that didn't leave any lacing on the glass. Funky, barnyard, oak, and tart cherry aroma. Tart cherry skin, sour lemon taste. Mouthfeel of soft lively bubbles.

08-29-2005 02:50:49 | More by egajdzis
pentathlete

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Purply garnet with a pinkish mountain of foam. Gem like quality on the edges, just gorgeous in the snifter. Smell is like an unblended lambic, with a tiny bit of cherry syrup coming through. Taste is tart, bubbly, cherries throughout, and a long cherry finish, yet not sweet at all, never overly aspirinish. Wet in the middle and then dry in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium, especially pleasant for this type of beer. So this is a real lambic without the heavy duty fruitiness that makes one think of malternatives. For being so tart, it is surprisingly drinkable. Worth nabbing if you can find it.

07-30-2005 21:35:43 | More by pentathlete
maggotbrain

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer sure is a looker. It pours a deep rose red with a whitish pink head that sticks around.

It smells exceedingly sour with a hint of ripe cherries.

The taste is shocking at first, my senses are overcome with the tartness of this brew. After the initial sour shock, a smooth hint of cherries comes through. The aftertaste is tart and dry. There seems to be no sweetness at all.

The mouth feel of this brew is good. It has a medium body with a level of carbonation that lends a certain softness to the beer.

Though I really enjoy the flavor of this beer greatly, I feel that the drinkablity of it is limited because of its sheer tartness. But I think that this is a good thing in a way. Such a unique and interesting brew perhaps should be enjoyed in limited quantities.

This is one brew that really sticks out in my mind and haunts my memory.

06-12-2005 03:05:30 | More by maggotbrain
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Thanks Chris.

The beer pours a nice rosey color with a 2 finger slightly pink head that falls to a light coating over the brew. Very pretty. The nose is super, with a big sour acrid blast but I can actually smell the sour cherry playing around underneath that. Very enticing. The flavor is intense. Upon taking a sip, my cheeks pucker in and my salivar glands close off, giving me that stickey spit thing going on. The sour and acidic flavor intensifies as I swallow the beer, but fading as quickly as they assaulted my taste buds. It leaves a residual cherry flavor and gives nice sweet cherry burps. The feel is light moderate with a nice moderate carbonation. It leaves my mouth with the sticeky spit feel. This is a refreshing beer. Easy to drink and it tastes really good. I like this beer a lot. Very nice.

06-12-2005 00:28:24 | More by kmpitz2
clvand0

Kentucky

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one pours a pink color with a moderate head that falls fast and leaves very little lacing on the glass. Looks kinda like a wine. The aroma is very nice - lots of Belgian funkiness and a nice sweetness from the cherries. The flavor isn't as sour as I expected, but still plenty sour. Slightly sweet with an intense cherry flavor. Slightly drying on the finish. Drinkability is very good. The mouthfeel is light to moderate, but right on for the style. Great brew.

06-12-2005 00:25:35 | More by clvand0
GCBrewingCo

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

The beer poured into the chalice hazy and red, actually more of a burgundy. The head was pink and rose tall but fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was fruity with notable cherries. The cherry aroma did not seem artificial like other fruit lambics. The aroma also contained a definite yet restrained barnyard aroma. It was slightly sweaty and slightly oaky.

The flavor was decidely sour with cherry fruit flavor. The cherry flavors tasted authentic in the lambic sourness. The flavor was decidely acidic, but not enteric. The flavor was also quite earthy and somehow refreshing. The flavor was also very tart and interesting, but was missing something.

The finish was decidedly dry with lasting acidity and slight cherry flavor with the acidity into the aftertaste. The body was almost medium, but seemed less due to the carbonation level of the beer. The sour cherry and tart belches that emerged after consumption are worth the price of admission alone.

12.7 ounce bottle corked and bailed. Date on back of bottle was an unbelievable Best Before 11.12.2022. The cork near exploded from the bottle after the bail was removed and the beer allowed to warm a few minutes.

05-03-2005 22:33:59 | More by GCBrewingCo
goodbyeohio

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

appearance is perfect- redness, healthy head and so many bubbles, looks perfect in a champagne glass

smell runs parallel with cantillon and less of the syrup-based sweetness here. fermentation and soothing spices like lavender. smells great.

taste is the perfect balance of gueze and fruit. not much to say on flavor here as it fits the usual profile, but it doesn't oversour you. there is just enough fruit sweetness to make it noticeable.. after all, you want to notice the indulgent cherry flavor in a kriekbier.

best of its class, in my book. miles above de ranke.

02-15-2005 01:55:54 | More by goodbyeohio
swamiswamu

Indiana

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

I need to adjust to this style. The huge champagne head and pink hue were beautiful, but it tasted like sour patch kids without the sweetness. Yes, I can see how one would enjoy this, but I'm not there yet. Beyond the overbearing sourness, there was an interesting funk. I really want to like it, maybe I can try some others and work up to it.

01-12-2005 02:58:25 | More by swamiswamu
nogoodreason

Missouri

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Hazy salmon, aggressive pink head grows quickly to a 3 finger size and retreats back to about a quater inch and stays until the beer is finished.

Nose is of aggressive acidity and dark cherries. Some bretty funk is apparent, though not outstanding.

Brashly carbonated, with puckering acidty and an appropriate body, not too thick, not too thin. Initially, taste is of high acidity with a simple, but nice cherry accent and a dry finish. As it warms, it becomes more complex, with a distinct sour funk creeping in, adding a dimension to the acid/fruit equation. There's a wet straw-like quality, and some other generic 'funk' that my palate can't indentifiy. It finishes dry, with a nice sourness and that lingering hint of cherries.

Nice stuff. Oh, and the Best By Date was in 2023. Comical.

01-10-2005 16:43:46 | More by nogoodreason
paterlodie

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Well this should be the one for today. Opening it up and pouring it in even boosted this feeling.... woww what a carbonation and what a great (bit) pink head and a clouwdy red colour. Smell is very aggresive there so to say. Giving you chery, sourness and everything you want to smell in a kriek. What a presance, to bad the taste is a litle less without offence. Sour, fruity and dry. Bitter in aftertaste for its kind but all in all one to try!

01-06-2005 18:36:42 | More by paterlodie
oggg

Best before 2022. Poured into an oversized red wine glalss

On removing the cork, a soft hiss was heard. At first I thought I smelled vinegar. I poured it gently into my goblet and left just the sediment in the bottle. It was still too cold, so I drank the sediment while I waited. It really needs some warming for the aroma to come out. The beer itself poured a dark pink, like a rose wine, but with a slightly deep orange hue betraying its life as beer. The small white head disappears to nothingness quickly. It is clear except for some bits of sediment.

The aroma is of huge cherries, some alcohol, and a dark earthy fruit. That barnyard funk is actually somewhat mild. After the soft carbonation, sweet cherries hit the tongue. The sourness/tartness builds to a high level very quickly. No hop bitterness or distracting biscuit or toast. All cherries. The finish is so dry, your tongue doesn't even realize what just went down. Very smooth, alcohol subtle, medium bodied. Definitely a sipper, because of the tartness.

I had this with an assortment of cheese, and it really does go better with a strong cheese like English stilton.

Overall: Very tart cherry lambic. I need to try more of this style, as my reference points are Lindemans and Rock Bottom.

12-31-2004 21:00:31 | More by oggg
BeerBuilder

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Reddish-pink in color with a light pink head. It does leave a bit of lacing. A nice steady stream of carbonation flows up from the middle. A very pretty beer. The aroma is very musty, with a wet cardboad smell. Hints of sour cherries are in the back. The flavor is tart up front with the musty, horse blanket characteristics next. Nice sour cherry flavor throughout. The drinkability is pretty high on this one. It leaves a bit of sourness through each sip. A very nice brew.

12-26-2004 04:01:46 | More by BeerBuilder
cerevisiaephilus

4.2/5  rDev +1%

A very beautiful beer. Incredible striking red color. Very sticky sticky head. PINK LACE one inch up the glass. A very sexy beer.

Big big funk in the nose here. Spicy spicy funk! The horsey notes are really nice and clean. Also get a touch of sourness...maybe from the cherries?? But I don't get much actual cherry scents.

Well...certainly less potent than the Hanssens I just tried. Definately some nice tartness, but nothing terribly extreme. Definately shrinks up the inside of your mouth...but not as seriously as the Hanssens. Get more funk here. More earthy dirt flavors. Get just barely a touch of the cherries. Just barely. More just a sour fruity tartness that I'm associated with cherries. Pretty dry but still a touch of sweetness in the finish. I'm hoping the Cantillon will be super duper bone dry. No lambic I've had has been super duper bone dry yet. Just a touch of the really nasties in the finish...enterics?? I'm glad those aren't more prominent. They are what I think really makes a lambic nasty...those really harsh plastic-y type notes that make me think of rot. I love the earthy horseyness and sharp tartness and sour. But its those nasty nasties that get me.

Mouthfeel is good but leaves me wanting. I want something else there...I imagine proteins play a big role in lambic mouthfeel as no residual sugar or starch would survive.

Pretty drinkable. I take back what I said about that in the Hanssen's review. I can give a lambic decent scores in this catergory. This brew is quite quenching with its fairly mellow hardcore funk and sharp, crisp tartness and earthy characteristics.

12-17-2004 01:15:59 | More by cerevisiaephilus
aracauna

Georgia

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a fairly clear ruby body with a frothy white head that is tinged pink. The aroma is sour and very cherry with a slight medicinal character and something slightly cheesy that I keep catching occassionally. The flavor is fairly sour and the cherries come through nicely, but there’s not a whole lot backing it up except for a slightly metallic sourness. The palate is big-bubbled and soda-like.

12-14-2004 23:27:54 | More by aracauna
francisweizen

Alaska

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Dark pinkish-red with a off-white/pinkish head of foam which is massive. Nice small-bubbled carbonation streams up the glass quite rapidly as well. Aromas are of oak, brett, and sour cherries. This is a bit funky, but nowhere near a girardin black label, or cantillon kriek. Taste is good, but quite subdued for a traditional lambic. Sour cherries and acidic notes mix with some slight oak tones and brett characteristics. Mouthfeel is sharp at first, but dulls and becomes creamier with the addition of yeast. Drinkability remains good, although this is not what I think of as a traditional lambic.

12-09-2004 02:48:21 | More by francisweizen
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy cherry wood color with a huge fluffy light pink head. Lots o' lace. Smells funky, of brett and of sour cherry.

Taste....I will not do this one justice but here it goes. Sour and funky. That barnyard brett flavor is front and center. Sour cherry. there really isn't any fruity sweetness here, about the closest you get is tart. Lightly metallic and earthy. Mouth seems to be a bit thin at first but it's jsut really crisp and dry. Cuts in and cuts out, leaving your palette with the memory and a sweetart aftertaste. Nice understated pucker factor in this brew. Not a chugger but not a sipper either. Has a champagney body. Really nice, the best kriek lambic I have had so far.

11-28-2004 01:01:24 | More by ViveLaChouffe
bultrey

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Yummm....
My first real kriek outside of Lindeman's, and I'm not sure that I could have chosen a better version. This thing had such jammy cherry aromas in the nose that I could have inhaled it all night.
The first sip, however, reveals a mouth-puckering tartness that ism not detectable in the smell, followed by a rush of cherry sweetness, and a musty basement taste that helps the beer finish dry, dry, dry. The carbonation is so perfectly done, like fine champagne. I had this as a dessert beer, so to speak, but I can imagine that this would pair magnificently with a variety of foods, I'm thinking some fresh grilled fish, or even better, a nicely seared duck breast.
This beer kicks some serious ass, and if there's a better kriek out there, I'm looking forward to it.

10-25-2004 17:52:07 | More by bultrey
granger10

Wisconsin

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

This is my first Kriek so I might change the scores after I have tried a few more.

The appearance is dark red almost purple color with a huge foamy, soapy white head. The head takes awhile to settle. Small bubbles rise to the top but it's not out of control carbonation.

The smell is yeasty and has a hay quality to it. Slightly ripe cherries there as well. The flavor seems to be limited on the cherry taste upfront. It seems like I am only getting the skins of the cherries and not their juicy qualities. The flavor seems a bit limited and doesn't have the depth I would like until the finish. It's very sharp and tarty. There's a raspberry finish that's acidic.

The best by date is March 12, 2023 so maybe this is a bit young but I don't think it's as developed as I would have liked it to have been. But it's still really good and quite impressive as it stands now.

10-14-2004 02:25:32 | More by granger10
Skidz

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Best Before 03.12.2023!

Pours out pink, strawberry bubblegum and sits hazy rose in the flute with a billowing light pink head; elegant lacings.

Smells quite tart and musty, kind of like an old shoe. Sweet, yet sour, aroma of cherries held back by the smell of...old. Dry leather would be a good description.

Tastes initially sour, crab-apple like in flavor. Dissolves into a mellowed sweetness of cherries and some more apple-like flavors. Bitterness of grape skins and seeds begins, but quickly retreats and you are left with the wonderful taste of tart cherries lingering in your mouth.

Sparkling in the mouth, light and fluffy feel. It's hard to resist drinking something like this, it's very graceful, yet powerfully defined. With such a long shelf-life, I'd love to see another bottle 15 years from now...I don't even live in the same house for that long.

10-04-2004 00:45:47 | More by Skidz
soper2000

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Stopped by Kahn's in Indianapolis again today and was surprised to see 2 of these on the shelf. Why did I only pick one up? Oh well, there'll be some lucky soul to get the last bottle. I didn't really know what to expect this being my first proper Kriek (ie not Lindemans). Merely taking the cage off caused the cork to fly out, hit my 9 foot ceiling than land about 6 feet away. That certainly made a nice first impression. Pours a deep ruby red with an immense (obviously) pinkish head that is very soft and cloud like. Aroma is very sour with just a little hint of mustiness, if you strain (or imagine) a faint note of cherry is perceivable. Taste is intense. Very tart. Definetely causes some pucker. The brett funk becomes more prevalent as the beer warms up. Cherry is present in the finish. Great drinkability. I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to sample at least 1 Oud Beersel product as this Kriek will surely make a fan in mourning of me.

09-25-2004 23:02:59 | More by soper2000