Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek VieilleOud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille

Brouwerij Oud Beersel visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to LauraAndrew for sending this as a surprise bottle in a trade. I;d seen it in stores, but just never got around to picking one up.

Pours a lovely crimson, so hazy it's nearly opaque. Head is pink and active, just over a finger. It falls quickly to a coating on top of the beer.

The smell is full of spice and sour cherries...there's also some woody maltiness here.

Flavour is that same woody maltiness up front, along withpowdery sweetness, and sour cherry building quickly, and overcoming it. There's a bit of a medicinal quality, but it is not unpleasant at all. On the finish, there's sour cherry, some hop bitteness, and a lingering dryness. Very nice.

The liquid is hearty and slightly oily. There's a high carbonation here- which I usually do not like much- but in this style, it works well, and is pleasing.

I find this one very drinkable, though I doubt I'd make a session beer out of it. Much as I get annoyed at the people who hate fruit beers, I tend to like something non-fruit for sessions. ;)

Be well
-UF

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Enjoyed a goblet of this at Zeno's in State College, PA.

Appearance: Inky dark ruby color, with a cloudy finish. No head, and light stick lacing. Low viscosity.

Aroma: Immediate smeel of maraschino cherries - a little offputting at first, but quickly relaxed to reveal some raspberry notes.

Taste: I was worried by the smell that this would taste like store cherries, but instead the beer was wonderfully balanced and flavored. Nice sudsy malt development, light yeast, and a sweet cherry background. Everything is perfectly proportioned, leaving a fruity taste that is nonetheless not too sweet. Some raisin and faint caramel developments as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Gentle carbonation and smooth finish. The lack of any syrupy sweetness makes the fruit aspect particularly refreshing.

Drinkable: While I have a hard time drinking more than one or two fruit beers at a time, I imagine that lambic fans would find this totally session-friendly. A beer I'll definitely e keeping my eye out for from now on.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

small corked and caged bottle into a goblet.

bright, hazy red with a touch of foamy head.

powerfully sour cherry aroma. astringent and tart with a touch of sugary, syrupy sweetness.

drinks easily. sweet and sour cherries most prominent, with a lemony sourness. heavily and tightly carbonated for a fizzy, light feel. cherry component cuts through the barny tartness with a sweetness and a delicate cherry-skin tartness. drinkable, refreshing, and enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer can be wrapped up in one word: cherry. It smelled like cherry juice and tasted likewise.However, it wasn't visited by the Kool-Aid Man (oh yeah!); rather, the cherry lingers pretty gently- no over-sugared Red Dye # 5 concotion here. I was expecting sour when I first sipped it, but was surprised by a slight sweetness. The cherry overtakes the drink, but I'm not complaining. It even looks like cherry juice in the glass, with only a slight lace resting on top for a head after the first pour. As a fan of lambics, I enjoyed this brew and would go for another round.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Presented in 375oz bottle with bailed champagne cork, and "Best by" date of 06-10-2024. After removing the bail, the cork needed only the slightest nudge before blasting off with the force of a shotgun, echoing loudly as it flew across my apartment.
Poured into my Duvel tulip glass, the body is a slightly cloudy pink/purple hybrid, topped by a substantial inch or so of creamy pinkish head. Excellent carbonation keeps coming for quite a while. Aroma is a bit musty, with sour cherries and lambic yeast battling it out for supremacy, ultimately fiighting to a draw. Palate strikes a balance between the ultra-sour gueuze lambics and the syrup-sweetened fruit lambics. Sour cherries blend with a tarter, more vinegary base from the gueuze. A fairly sharp astringency seizes the tongue at first, but subsides a bit after a few more sips. Body is smooth, lightly creamy, and beautifully sparkling. Certainly a tasty beer, although it is too assertive and challenging to be a frequent selection.

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Poured about half of a small corked bottle into my Stone Old Guardian glass - With a proper, gentle pour, the head EXPLODED, giving me about an inch and a half of deep cherry red beer and four to five inches of head. The head is amazing, like dense red-colored lemon meringue or whipped cream; I poured it up to nearly an inch tall over the rim of the glass, and it sat there like a pink styrofoam mountain, fat and happy. Slowly fading down to a thick layer over a few minutes in the thin neck of the glass, it left sticky gobs of styrofoam lacing.

The smell is, quite naturally, sour-smelling cherries and yeast. I'm not exactly a lambic connesseur, and that's pretty much all I get.

Very tart, very sour flavor - cherries, very slight barnyard horsiness. There's just a little malt graininess in the finish, but most of the flavor is sour.

Spicy, tart in the mouth, with a somewhat grainy, dry finish.

It's still going to be a long time before I really know what to look for in a lambic. However, this is rather drinkable.

This beer pours a dark red with a thi white head. The head has slight red tints to it. It fades slowly, leaving decent laces.

This beer has a sour cherry aroma. It has a slight earthy yeasty aroma to it also.

This beer tastes of sour cherries. However, it is definatly not overly sour. It is mild and refreshing. It is sweet, but not too sweet.

This beer is smooth and refreshing. It leaves a sour cherry aftertaste. It is well carbonated.

I think this beer would make a decent session beer. It is sweet, but not too overbearing. Also, it is not too high in alcohol. I am happy to have had the oportunity to try this one.

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Massive exploding cork. Very pinkish foam. Medium mouthfeel, creamy, intense cherry skin. Not too tart, not mouth puckering, somewhat malted and a bit of sugar and wood. Appropriate carbonation. Easy drink.Recent batch as expiry date 2024.
Higher than expected alcohol.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

375ml date on back ends in 202x, cannot make out clearly what number x is. I have had this bottle at least 2 years, and I think they actually quit bottling over 3 years ago?

pours large 1/3 height white head.
smells very acidic, some cherry smell. refreshingly sour.

taste pucker-acidic but not excesive with some sweetness, light taste of cherry mixed in, this beer is perfectly balanced. the finish is mildly acidic with just a hint of cherry, leaving you wanting more.

This kriek has improved from what i remember this batch of bottles tasting like a few years ago, and it is a great loss to the lambic world that it is no longer available.

I have not seen a 750ml of this in years. There seem to still be 375ml's of this and their gueuze floating around - if you see it, grab it.

this bottle was stored upright for at least 2 years without apparent cork issues.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bold and delicate blend of what is good with Belgian beers. A hazy maroon - brown color with a light, yet vigorous carbonation. Smells very tart and fruity with a woodsy, musky, earthy tone. Tastes very fruity and vineous. Quite musky and earthy flavors woven around an abundance of raspberry. A light apple cider flavor persists. Carbonation and fruitiness adds to much creaminess, but the light souness thins the beer in the finish for easy drinking. A pleasure to drink. Much complexity in here.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

375 ml bottle. Oud Beersel Kriek has a hazy red color with a large pink head. Earthy aroma of cherries, oak, and vinegar. Much more of a subtle aroma that I remember from previous tastings. The flavor is mainly cherries. Notably dry. A minimum of lambic funkiness, but beware if you are not used to sour beers. This one if pretty sour. The cherry flavor is very nice. Not at all artificial tasting, unlike mainly fruit lambics. Finish is short and very dry. This is a very nice beer, but I list it among the elite of the style.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

12.7 oz. bottle, served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Huge billowy light red head bubbles up at first. The color is a beautiful and deep dark amber. Clumpy lacing sticks pretty well, and the head recharges very well with light swirls every once in a while.

Smell: Vinegar, vinous qualities, earthiness and funkiness, must and dryness, Belgian yeast of course, and notes of tart and sour cherries in the background.

Taste: Vinegar at first hits the palate with its sour notes, then some Belgian yeast and musty dryness. However, when it's first sipped it's perceived sweet, and then immediately it becomes dry through the swallow, which I think is pretty remarkable. Finishes dry with faint hints of cherries on the tongue, though I wanted more. Like a good, dry champagne with notes of cherry way in the back.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, lots of carbonation, and gets a bit spritzy at the end. Certainly nearly a champagne.

Drinkability: Since it's dry and not to sweet or sugary, I could see someone maybe having more than one bottle. But would you have more than one bottle of champagne? Maybe you would, but I wouldn't. Also it's fairly expensive, and so certainly a good treat. Try it on New Years instead of going to the liquor store for champagne. Your guests may be both surprised and pleased.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

I want to start this out by saying this is my first ever Lambic/Gueuze. Picked this up at Belmont Station in Portland, OR last week. Like many others stated quite amusing to see that best by 2024 date on it.

Appearence - Pours ruby red with a small maybe 1 inch pink head. Looks almost like cranberry juice.

Smell - Sour, very sour. Almost like a fruity vinegar. Completely different from any beer i've ever had, but intrigueing.

Taste - Wow, tastes almost exactly like it smells, sour, and very acidic. A nice taste of carbonation, which fades quickly to an almost clean tasting palette for the next sip. Almost like a champagne.

Mouthfeel - Sour, dry, fades really fast. Not much else I can think of, the taste doesnt linger around long. This is interesting because it paves the way for an intense sip every time.

Drinkability - Definitly wouldnt drink more then 1 in a sitting, and dont know as i'd drink another whole bottle by myself, but if I was splitting with someone it would be just right. This would go well with some fine cheese, or some kind of appetizer to complement its sourness.

2.58/5  rDev -38%

Pours a brilliant ruby red with a rose-colored head that has very good retention and leaves behind some lacing. A high level of carbonation is visible after the initial pour. Aromas of cherries and alcohol seem to dominate. The taste is, well...different to say the least. I can best describe it as a subtle fruit-flavored champagne. This doesn't really have the consistency, taste, or feel of beer. The cherry flavor doesn't come out all that much. It's the tartness and dryness of this beer that doesn't suit me. The aftertaste is very dry (like champagne or even a chardonnay). I won't be having this beer again...in fact, I couldn't finish my pint.

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Funky little 375 ml green bottle, caged and corked, with an outrageous best before date of like 2025!

Poured a murky, pink-reddish brown, like the color of raspberry puree. A light pink champagne like head settles to a thin topper.

Cherries are up front in the nose, tart but not sweet, with a bit of leather and barnard funk.

Light in body, with a sparkling carbonation. This isn't your typical sweet and fruity kriek. It goes from lightly tart to bone dry, which gives it a great drinkability. Lots of strange funkiness, which just makes it more inticing and complex.

The best I've had of the style.

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

Crazy sour vinegar nose, smells like a stale musty barnyard with a hint of sour cherries. Pours a deep burgundy/brick red hue and makes a fizzy pink head. Flavor is vinegary, hint of sour cherries, tastes very much like a sour red wine... very tart and astringent, hint of cranberry. Light on the palate, coats the mouth very thin and finishes quite dry. Nice quality lambic, moderately complex, enjoyed this one.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A kriek lambic presented in a heavy 375 ml corked and caged bottle that made an enthused POP upon uncorking. This beer has a pungent, sour aroma of considerable endurance and a tall head of bubbles the color of plums or cyanotic lips. The color of the body is also very sexy – a ruddy cherry color like a lipstick, a sportscar, or Vegas casino dice.

I can’t quite read the “best before” date unless it actually says best before 10, 2024. <Laugh! I’ve just read reviews with similarly absurd observations.>

I suppose I was expecting some fruited sweetness from the cherries to emerge – especially with all the color they contribute to the body. But this was effectively overruled by the full lambic sourness. I can’t say as I’d care to drink any great measure of this beer, but the puckering tartness has a frolicking refreshment to it.

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Thick pastel pink froth rises to the top of my New Belgium snifter tightly packing the glass. Then it starts a show of decomposition and falls just like it rose; steadily and with purpose ending in an uneven rocky froth that covers a rosy liquid with a dash of orange - someone should really develop a tea rose called Kriek.
The lace is provocative as it covers, stretches, rips and slides off the side of the chalice.
Why should I even describe this to you? She was wet and sour and she quenched my fire. She gave me sweet tender kisses inside raspberry tendrils covered in not quite ripe fruit. Her finger tips tasted of sandalwood, patchouli, and sex. If I could own this, all of it, every sexy bit of her, I would never share her. I'd laugh as she teased you; I'd laugh as I described my passion with her; I'd never share a taste with anybody. She's my Cleopatra.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Best by sometime in 2022. This is my first real Kriek so I may be updating this review as I gain more experience in the style (and finish off the Cantillon and De Ranke in my fridge). Smell is a little oak and vinegar in the back dominated by an overpowering sourness. There is some mustiness that perks up at one point bringing to mind an old cobwebby barn. Very subtle though. Taste is shockingly sour! This is possibly the sourest thing ever. Very acidic. And yet behind it all, there is a little bit of bread, and of course the cherry flavor, though it is purely tart and not sweet at all as others have mentioned. The cherry comes out more as it warms, making this taste juicier, but I prefer it served very cold. The finish is extremely dry and never ending! It took me forever to finish this bottle, but I savored every last drop.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle best before 03 04 2023.... Poured a hazy, deep ruby red color with a small pink head that didn't leave any lacing on the glass. Funky, barnyard, oak, and tart cherry aroma. Tart cherry skin, sour lemon taste. Mouthfeel of soft lively bubbles.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Purply garnet with a pinkish mountain of foam. Gem like quality on the edges, just gorgeous in the snifter. Smell is like an unblended lambic, with a tiny bit of cherry syrup coming through. Taste is tart, bubbly, cherries throughout, and a long cherry finish, yet not sweet at all, never overly aspirinish. Wet in the middle and then dry in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium, especially pleasant for this type of beer. So this is a real lambic without the heavy duty fruitiness that makes one think of malternatives. For being so tart, it is surprisingly drinkable. Worth nabbing if you can find it.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer sure is a looker. It pours a deep rose red with a whitish pink head that sticks around.

It smells exceedingly sour with a hint of ripe cherries.

The taste is shocking at first, my senses are overcome with the tartness of this brew. After the initial sour shock, a smooth hint of cherries comes through. The aftertaste is tart and dry. There seems to be no sweetness at all.

The mouth feel of this brew is good. It has a medium body with a level of carbonation that lends a certain softness to the beer.

Though I really enjoy the flavor of this beer greatly, I feel that the drinkablity of it is limited because of its sheer tartness. But I think that this is a good thing in a way. Such a unique and interesting brew perhaps should be enjoyed in limited quantities.

This is one brew that really sticks out in my mind and haunts my memory.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Thanks Chris.

The beer pours a nice rosey color with a 2 finger slightly pink head that falls to a light coating over the brew. Very pretty. The nose is super, with a big sour acrid blast but I can actually smell the sour cherry playing around underneath that. Very enticing. The flavor is intense. Upon taking a sip, my cheeks pucker in and my salivar glands close off, giving me that stickey spit thing going on. The sour and acidic flavor intensifies as I swallow the beer, but fading as quickly as they assaulted my taste buds. It leaves a residual cherry flavor and gives nice sweet cherry burps. The feel is light moderate with a nice moderate carbonation. It leaves my mouth with the sticeky spit feel. This is a refreshing beer. Easy to drink and it tastes really good. I like this beer a lot. Very nice.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one pours a pink color with a moderate head that falls fast and leaves very little lacing on the glass. Looks kinda like a wine. The aroma is very nice - lots of Belgian funkiness and a nice sweetness from the cherries. The flavor isn't as sour as I expected, but still plenty sour. Slightly sweet with an intense cherry flavor. Slightly drying on the finish. Drinkability is very good. The mouthfeel is light to moderate, but right on for the style. Great brew.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

The beer poured into the chalice hazy and red, actually more of a burgundy. The head was pink and rose tall but fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was fruity with notable cherries. The cherry aroma did not seem artificial like other fruit lambics. The aroma also contained a definite yet restrained barnyard aroma. It was slightly sweaty and slightly oaky.

The flavor was decidely sour with cherry fruit flavor. The cherry flavors tasted authentic in the lambic sourness. The flavor was decidely acidic, but not enteric. The flavor was also quite earthy and somehow refreshing. The flavor was also very tart and interesting, but was missing something.

The finish was decidedly dry with lasting acidity and slight cherry flavor with the acidity into the aftertaste. The body was almost medium, but seemed less due to the carbonation level of the beer. The sour cherry and tart belches that emerged after consumption are worth the price of admission alone.

12.7 ounce bottle corked and bailed. Date on back of bottle was an unbelievable Best Before 11.12.2022. The cork near exploded from the bottle after the bail was removed and the beer allowed to warm a few minutes.

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille from Brouwerij Oud Beersel