Oud Beersel Kriek - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Lambic - Fruit |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: RunawayJim on 10-07-2008

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from a 375ml corked and caged bottle into a tall snifter. The beer has a beautiful color. Dark, deep ruby-red with a nice fluffy pink head. The nose is faint but interesting and has hints of cherries and cotton candy.

Very mild flavor, medium-firm mouthfeel, and light body. The flavor isn't highly sour and acidic, but at the same time you don't get strong fruit juice notes as with some (sweetened) krieks. Instead, you get a mellow slightly tart beverage with light cherry and wine-like flavors. Not very tannic. Finish is kind of bland.

This is not a bad beer, but it's not good either. There isn't a lot of flavor here for the price you pay. It's just kind of dead. I won't buy this again. For what this beer costs, there are better beers with far more flavor.

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

3.11/5  rDev -17.3%

I had a bottle of this at Max's. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish pink with two fingers of pink head and good retention.

Smell: Mild and slightly tart. I'm definitely picking up the cherries and a light sweetness.

Taste: The flavor it a bit watery. Tart and fruity with sour cherries and vinegar notes. The finish is bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with aggressive, tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I was underwhelmed by this offering. The taste didn't have enough going on. Not bad, but not again.

3.03/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter. Best by date of 2014. I imagine that this bottle has sat for quite a while in this store, but I could be wrong.

Pours a murky, muddy dark pink/red color with minimal head. When backlit by strong light it shows crimson red. Looks good.

Smells disturbingly like cherry medicine that has gone bad, or maybe a cherry menthol cough drop that has been dipped in infect beer. I can't quite say that this is a positive smell, but one that does intrigue me!

Well... the flavor is much better than the nose indicated, but it is a far cry from what I am pretty sure is traditional lambic. This is obviously either pasteurized (leaving much unfermented sugar), artificially sweetened, both, or chemically stabilized with sulfites (unlikely). The result is a sweet, slightly alcoholic cherry soda. Now, I do enjoy it, but I don't think it should be at all connected to the name lambic.

The mouthfeel is sweet, smooth, and full bodied from all the sugar. The carbonation is on the low side which I like.

Conclusion: This is a great fruit beer. But I can't say it is a great lambic. It has only the faintest hint of any traditional lambic flavors, and I wouldn't dare to apply the lofty title of lambic to it if I brewed it. It is a sweet cherry fruit beer, and in my opinion not worth the > $10 I paid for it. If this was canned and cost $5 for a six pack I would buy it.

Oud Beersel Kriek from Brouwerij Oud Beersel