Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,694 | Hads: 4,774
4.97/5  rDev +29.8%

A: Poured a straw yellow color with cloudy appearance. Personally I am a fan of the cloudy look and was excited to take my first sip.
S: Exciting aromas of citrus maybe orange or lemon and hops. I have not smelled a beer like it yet.
T: Just like it smelled, there was an orange taste but complimented with a black pepper/clove type of taste that I presume is the corriander that was dexcribed on the bottle. I have never had corriander so I ma unsure iof this taste but do plan on going out and buying some after this beer.
M: The carbonation felt like what you would find drinking a carbonated water. The rest of the feel was smooth and delicious.
D: I could not have been happier to be drinking this beer and it went down easy and smooth with plenty of strong flavors to savor.

4.95/5  rDev +29.2%

(Served in a traditional Hoegaarden hexagonal glass, per instructions on the bottle)

A-nice pale straw yellow that is cloudy in body and a nice creamy thick head.

S- wonderful spicy wheat aroma with a bit of perfumy spiciness maybe coriander. a little hint of flower sweetness and a hint of yeastiness.

T- starts of with a nice mellow citrus sweetness but its still zesty. A nice faint herbal spiciness that might have a hint of hops but it is very much in the background. A dry finish with a very subtle tartness to it.

M- light body with a good strong carbonation and a very faint tartness.

D- This is a wonderful beer and very true to form maybe because this beer revived this style of beer not to long ago. This was near perfect but I would have liked to see just a bit more spiciness and a bit more tartness. And perhaps fresher samples have that? Overhaul an excellent beer that I will drink again and again.

4.94/5  rDev +29%

As a macro-brew lager drinker in my early days the Hoegaarden color and initial taste immediately had me thinking about what I had been missing.

Odd color and initial taste but from there it has been a long wonderful relationship.

This is the one beer always on tap in my house. And yes, I prefer it on tap.

4.92/5  rDev +28.5%

After the rat bastards at Miller sank Celis, I tried to seek out a replacement for their Wit. Well, it took me far too long to get around to it, but I finally bucked up and grabbed a bottle of Hoegaarden (Pierre Celis is the former brewer). Golden in color, sticky glorious head, the aroma immediately tells you that this is something special. The coriander and orange peel hit you followed by the mellow sweetness of the wheat. Its mouthfeel is smooth and velvety with a little zip on the end. The blending of the spices with the highest quality wheat make for an over-the-top experience. To me, this is really the benchmark for other Belgian whites. It's probably to rich to have too many at one sitting, so probably not the greatest session beer ever.

4.9/5  rDev +27.9%

I don't really have beers i won't rate exceptional. I need to be more picky on my reviews.
Love Hoegaarden ( Found it in Sweden). It is a great for an afternoon beer. A beer that is light, smooth. Almost as if you can take huge swigs.
Citrus, a great value to this beer.
It can be heav if you drink enough of them. They will creep on you.
A beer for everyone!

4.9/5  rDev +27.9%

A= Pure white head, looks like fresh snow, light colored, slightly cloudy. Very clean looking.

S= Lemony, citrusy, sour, invites a sip.

T= Super taste of light lemons, fresh wheat, clean , clean finish, brilliant after taste

M= Light on the mouth, a little thin, but with even notes of carbonation

D= Super drinkable. Good for a hot day.

Wonderful beer.

4.9/5  rDev +27.9%

Of the many white beers out there on the market, this is definitely one of the best I've ever had. Great blend of orange and coriander make this one of the most drinkable and enjoyable beers. I enjoy it with an orange peel, which helps bring out and accentuate the citrus-like taste, although drinking it alone really helps you appreciate the exceptional taste. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is a fan of white beers. From what I've heard - and not like this makes much of a difference - it has won the beer cup in its category many times - a consistent winner. Although $8.99 for a sixer is a little pricey, this is worth it without a doubt... one of my favorite of all time...

4.9/5  rDev +27.9%

While Hoegaarden represents a style that's clearly not for everyone, this is a classic for those who prefer their beers unfiltered and less bitter.

A: Cloudy, pale yellow/white which fades into a lingering head when poured.
S: While typically served with a lemon (or orange) slice in some locations when it's on draught, banana can sometimes be more prominent. Near total lack of hops helps bring out the fruity, almost "smoothie" scents.
T: Hints of several spices, but not as prominently as comparable Witbiers (particularly domestics). Easily paired with most foods as the palate isn't overpowered. Try it with hummus that's received a light squeeze of lemon juice for an interesting appetizer.
M: Smooth but not especially crisp, however it breaks down if held on the tongue for too long.
O: The beer that will convince almost anyone who "hates beer" that there's more than light beers and IPAs to choose from. A good summer beer best enjoyed neither too cold nor too warm. The bottle is a bit small at 11.2 ounces, however that's not entirely uncommon for imports.

4.9/5  rDev +27.9%

33ml in bottle. It looks hazy blonde. Two finger white head but it disappears in a five minutes. No carbonation. It smells like a orange and a banana. And also you can feel fresh cloves and all the citrus thing. It taste smooth and full body. At the end you can't feel the alchol. Finally in my opinion it's a Legendary(wait for it) Belgian Witbier. You should try it.

4.88/5  rDev +27.4%

I really enjoyed this beer. One of my favorites. It is a lighter beer. The beer had a very nice blend of spices that you can definetly tell are present, but not too over-powering. They give the beer a great flavor, and help it to finish nice and crisp with no unpleasant aftertast whatsoever. Also tried in a bottle. The spices in the bottle are a little more prominent, but still a great drink. I'd would say the beer is slightly better on tap when compared to the bottle version.

4.88/5  rDev +27.4%

This is and has been my favorite Belgian White for many years and now that it's available almost everywhere and still has the same great smell and taste, I'll always keep a 12er in the beer fridge. I have the original Hoegaarden glasses and this beer looks great in them. Great aroma and taste to match. It's a shame that Bud bought the company, but as long as they don't change the original recipe, I can live with it. There is a small amount of white head after the pour that only adds to the deliciousness of the beer.

4.88/5  rDev +27.4%

this was paler than i expected out of a belgian, i had onaly tryed darker belgians up to this point, this beer was very cloudey and had a fair amount of yeast that had to be swireld form the bottem of the bottle, the first sip was sweet and had me coming back for more, it left a great aftertaste that had me licking my lips,

after poring the second one i added a razberry lambick about 10% this was the purfict 1 2 combo

4.86/5  rDev +26.9%

One of my favorite White Ale's. Cloudy look with a great taste. My only issue is that there is barely any head on the beer, which makes it look a little flat when poured.

poured from 12oz into tulip glass

this beer is a VERY flavorful VERY interesting belgian wit. typical cloudy apperance but the color is beautiful, almost a peach/ apricot color. nice head cap that hangs around till the end. random spotty lacing. smells of lemon/ grapefruit with belgian strain yeast on the tail end. all together very fresh and clean. taste is also slightly citrus, and mostly yeast. body is med with lots of crisp shap carbonation. refreshing. thirst quenching. this is an amazing beer at a great price. if you see it BUY IT. it will not let you down. drinkablity is impressive, i opened a second bottle while reviewing.

4.85/5  rDev +26.6%

Pale cloudy white color with a nice creamy white head, good carbonation, and sheets of lace. Perfect balanced aroma: cirtusy fruity, wheaty, and spicy. Wheat malt, spice and orange peel balance nicely for perfect refreshing flavor. Light-medium bodied, tart, dry, and acidic.

The classic ! Perfect wit to compare all other wits... Pricey but much more affordable now that they have moved from a 4-pack to a 6-pack.

Label States: "The Original Belgian White Beer" & "Anno 1445" & "Unfiltered"

Best Before: 12/10/04
Tasted: 10/26/03

($8.79 / 6-pack)

4.85/5  rDev +26.6%

This beer was pricey but since I love white ales anyway, I wanted to try. Pours a nice cloudy, straw-white color with a thin head. Aroma is delicate and spicy with hints of banana and clove. Taste is nice and tart with the base flavors giving way to a citrusy mouthfeel with clove and spice. Pretty well balanced for a white beer. I'd definitely say it's one of the best examples of this style that I have had. Love the bottle shape too.

4.85/5  rDev +26.6%

Gorgeous. Beautiful pale cloudy yellow body. Heady is frothy and pillowy, but light, and sinks to be just film after a while.

Wonderful. Sweet citrus fragrance. Herbiness, traces of dried fruit. Some yeastiness, not very pronounced, but enough to give the nose a little lightness.

Refreshing and clean. A beautiful balance between the sweet malted wheat and the coriander spiciness, with a beautiful lingering dryness. Better every sip. It's just so mellow and drinkable, but with enough subtleties to keep you interested. Mouthfeel is smooth, cleansing and refreshing.

A truly wonderful beer. If anything, it seems to gain a little something in bottled form. Refreshing and beautiful, and the yardstick by which to judge other wits.

4.85/5  rDev +26.6%

THere is a reason that for many years this won the World Beer Cup for best in it's category- it's one of the, if not the best biere blanche out there.

Compared to Allagash White this is thinner and has a MUCH more prominent fruit essence. I would drink this over AW any day; I noticed a weird iron flavor to the Maine brew.

Open it up, pour it into a hexagonal glass (remembering to do that "3/4-empty swirl" near the end) the beer is a white color made slightly strawlike from the malt. The head is pure virgin white.

Smell is a benchmark for European White ales. It's mainly the wheat malt plus a ton of oranges and lemons, but together it works so perfectly. I wish I could get it in a Yankee Candle CarJar.

I've drank well over 400 beers (so I guess that makes me a newbie, hahaha) and a lot of that was focusing on the wheat beers. I've drank them from Belgium, Germany, USA, France, England... and Hoegaarden is my favorite taste:-) The taste comprises of an intense sweetness that isn't syrupy whatsoever and clean as the driven snow, then *BAM* the lemon/orange flavors hit. Some complain of a lack of hops in this beer. Who the hell wants hops in a white ale? I love IPAs and barleywines but I understand that whites aren't supposed to be hoppy. Instead, the orange, coriander and lemon are the "spice" of Hoegaarden.

Drinkability is dangerous, because you can pound these for hours and get wasted- and fat- quite easily.

Hoegaarden is one of my top five favorites. Cannot stop singing it's praises.

4.84/5  rDev +26.4%

Looks alot like a pulpy citrus drink with a thin white head. The smell is like spices, the taste is exceptionally spicy. no getting around that, a very pleasant taste. Has a bubbly feel on the tongue. So far this is easily the easiest drinkable white beer I've tried.

4.84/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is the glorious king of Witbiers. It is the beer that turned me onto the style and made it my absolute favorite. I will start this review off by saying if you have not tried Hoegaarden, make it a point to buy some as soon as possible.

Appearance (5) : A tall pillar of foamy and creamy head that stays with the beer as you drink it. It's about four fingers tall and when it eventually recedes it leaves nice webbing and rings around the glass. The body is pineapple colored with a 30% opacity leaving bubbles lining the glass with sediment settling at the bottom.

Smell (4.75) : Sweet orange slice and orange spice, harvest wheat, coriander, morning dew. A ton of character and very pleasing to the olfactory.

Taste (4.75) : As I said, this is the king of Witbiers. It has a creaminess and fullness that rivals porters, yet drinks like pineapple juice. The taste is of harvest wheat, fresh orange slice, herbs, and various citrus elements (lemon, lime, tangerine). Creamy and simple with no bitterness.

Mouthfeel (4.5) : A floating, creamy mouthfeel with a medium to full bodied texture. It's truly luxurious. Mildly carbonated which keeps everything balanced.

Overall (4.73) : Hoegaarden is one of those simple pleasures in life that cannot fully be explained in words. It's a Belgian beer and man do I love those Belgians. If you want to study a course in Belgian witbiers, start here - it's the beginning and the end of the journey.

4.83/5  rDev +26.1%

A whitbier that truly looks white. Or, at least, this is the whitest whitbier I've ever laid eyes upon. Pouring out of the bottle, it kind of looked like a citrus soda. Fluffy dense WHITE head with tiny bubbles here & there.

Smells perfect. Lemon citrus, yeasty.

My first beer of the evening, and it is Delicious. A very full, filling beer, for being so light. The mouthfeel is well rounded and very satisfying.

This is the best whitbier I have had so far in my beer travels. Absolutely 100% drinkable. Wonderful.

4.83/5  rDev +26.1%

Very pale, hazy/cloudy and little to no head. Fruity/citrusy aromas dominate the nose. Taste is sweet with some slightly tart overtones, with the classic orange/lemon peel citrusness (and acidity) and coriander spiciness. As all BAs know, beer drinking is its own reward, but this beer is extra rewarding. Simply outstanding.

4.82/5  rDev +25.8%

This has to be one of the best tasting and easy drinking beers i've ever had. I've had it on tap and in the bottle, and both make for a wonderful drinking experience. A nice cloudy yellow pours to a quick settling head. The smell is sweet and aromatic, kinda citrusy, not skunky in the least. Unparalleled in taste and drinkability, mouthfeel is very delicate, like a mildly carbonated soda, not aggravating in the least. This beer definitely ranks as among my favorites, and definitely one that will be in my fridge at all time.

4.81/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Honestly, what is there too complain about with Hoegaarden? One smell and if you are a wit drinker you will know you will love it! I think this is high in the Wit list of must haves to ensure you know the high end of the spectrum.

The clovey-bannana tones linger through the finish but do not over power. I could drink it all day

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

This is my first ever review, for the record.

A - Brown bottle with a "bubble" in the neck. Pouring instructions are on the back of the bottle. Pours a beautiful yellow into my standard pint glass. Cloudy, but not completely opaque. Nice white head that slowly dissipates into a ring around the liquid, leaving sticky lacing.

S - Banana, lemon, somewhat spicy, definately fruity. A hint of clove, I think. Lots of different scents.

T - Beautiful. Everything I smelled, and more. Banana, a bit of lemon, even come pepper. No trace of alcohol flavour.

M - Again, excellent. Just enough carbonation to make it interesting, but not over-carbonated. Right on the border between thin and heavy.

D - One of the smoothest beers I've had. This is at least my tenth bottle of Hoegaarden, but I never reviewed it until now. I highly recommend it to anyone, especially those who want a stepping stone from the macros to something better. One of my favourite brews, and I will definately drink it consistently for years to come.

Hoegaarden Original White Ale from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden