Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,666 | Reviews: 1,748

Probably one of the worst, if not the worst beer I have ever had. Leaves a horrible taste in your mouth when you finish.

1.11/5  rDev -70.6%

I just simply don't get this style of beer. The coriander and orange mixed together with hops and malts and yeast just have never made any sense to me. The smell is sweet and citrusy at first, but then it turns into something like bolonga. That sounds strnge, but thats what I smell. Very, very bad. It looks alright when poured into the mug. Very pale, cloudy with a big fluffy head. Then it went into my mouth. The spice and the orange and the hops and the malt just don't get along. Couple this with the fact that this bottle aparently has been around for a while. This add a slight oxidized skunky udertone to everything. It's just nausiating. Milllions of people love it. Different strokes. More power to you. In my opinion it's some of the most hidiously undrinkable stuff in existance.

1.3/5  rDev -65.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

me and a buddy sat out on the deck,and tried this beer,we had no idea what to expect from this beer,first pour and i thought,what the...very pale cloudy yellow,kinda murky looking.Had a nice thick white head though.
The aroma,whoa...lots of spices with bananas and a fermented weiner smell to it...eww
First taste and you get all the wheat and banana spice taste,but than the aftertaste,it really hits hard...that fermented weiner taste that just doesn't go away.It's like you have to plug your nose on this one,but it's always there at... the back...lingering eww,again.
I tried to finish it but it was even more pronounced as it warmed,I than decided that's enough and poured it into my garden...by the way..my buddy did the same...
This one is not for me,will have a hard time trying again.

1.4/5  rDev -63%

Despite my real aversion to this beer I've actually drank quite a lot of it over the years.

A: Pale gold semi opaque. Pours a one finger head which disappears. Slightly bubbly body.

S: Vanilla.

T: I normally like coriander in beer but in Hoegaarden it tastes of overwhelming, sickly vanilla. It's watery, bitter, fizzy and reminds me a lot of Alka-Seltzer, or at best an unpleasant ice cream soda. Incredibly ill-balanced and no depth of character. Leaves a sour, yeasty flavour on my palate - not the hallmark of a good beer.

O: I try not to talk dirty of beers I don't like but I'm not exactly kicking a dead puppy by scorning this multi award winning macro travesty. Along with Stella Artois I think it's one of the most overrated beers in the world, and it's really expensive so I make no apologies for saying it's genuinely one of the worst beers I've ever had.

1.43/5  rDev -62.2%

i think this beer was very bad with a chemical aftertaste... my friend brought it over and was sayin how good it was, he brought over hoegaarden and i bought bodingtons iand i thought the bodington ale was much much better. this beer should not have this high of a rating on here, its even higher ten bass, come on now

1.57/5  rDev -58.5%

Beer poured with a decent head, possibly due to the intense carbonation (over-carbonation, in my opinion). Light yellow with decent aroma.

The taste was like a fermented Crystal Light lemonade. No complexity or balance.

The drinkability is a moot point.

1.6/5  rDev -57.7%

looks like a wheat beer cloudy, straw coloured but tasted sickly sweet. no bitterness just nasty there's light refreshing beers and there's nasty beers this one was nasty.

I know I didn't give it a full review but this is one of the only beers out of hundreds I didn't like.

1.71/5  rDev -54.8%

Tastes very sour, kind of like saint monon but lower quality

1.73/5  rDev -54.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

mild sweetness with a wheat component that persists. the coriander and citrus flavours are less stronger than the aromas. low bitterness with a semi-sweet finish.not my thing

1.77/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Cheep beer without any interest, except than refreshing

1.78/5  rDev -52.9%

I do not like orange flavored beers.

One of these days I'll remember that BEFORE I buy an orange flavored beer.

I've had Hoegaarden a few times, and everytime I have one, I really struggle to finish it. And I don't know anyone that particularly likes it either. This is the beer that, when someone in my group of friends brings in a beer that turns out to taste awful, somebody says "yeah this is bad, but do you remember that Hoegaarden?" Maybe I'm not the cloudy orange flavored wheat beer type, but I'm giving it two thumbs down.

2.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Presentation: big ol' weizen glass

Appearance: Pale yellow, really cloudy and near opaque, big fluffy white head coming above the top of the glass.

Smell: Citrusy, spicy, with a little of that horseblanket smell that I've heard of. Not very appealing.

Taste: Bitey wheat twang. It pretty much dominates the flavor. It's really tough to drink, even more so as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Really thick and chewy. This part would be enjoyable in a good-tasting brew.

Drinkability: Ugh! I tried my hardest to finish it, and I did (Only because it was pretty expensive). This beer has nearly scared me away from wheat beer. Fortunately, there are milder types out there.

2.06/5  rDev -45.5%

Do not see what's so great about this beer, slightly below average in its class. Guess it's ok for a big name beer but it feels and tastes rather offensive going down.

2.09/5  rDev -44.7%

Pale lemon color with creamy white head. Spicy chap stick aroma with eucalyptus to boot. Thin, acidic, carbonated lemon juice. Bleh, what the hell. Perhaps I will need to revisit this one. For now it was too phenolic, too thin, and too lemony. This can't be the beer that inspired so many other wonderful beers.

2.11/5  rDev -44.2%

Sampled this one on tap at Ale Mary's. I haven't had it in a while and have been ignoring it, as it appears to be branching out everywhere. Thought a wit would be a nice one on a hot day.
Pale, cloudy yellow with no lacing or retention to speak of. Faint wheat and citrus aromas.
This beer is limp and watery. Though some wheat and citrus tones come through, it comes across as a non-syrupy citrus soda drink. Chalky finish and weak mouthfeel. I guess it used to be better.

2.13/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Color is yellow with hints of white. Head is moderate, nothing special. Taste I just cannot appreciate, unfortunately. Very wheaty, and you can physically feel particles of wheat in the beer which remain in the aftertaste.

Note: This is my second Hoegaarden. The first one made me sick, so I wanted to stick it out and try another to insure it wasn't just a bad batch or something. But this one still just tastes nasty to me. The wheat taste just is nauseating to me. I know the reviews are supposed to be relative to it's style, but I haven't had many other white beers to compare this too, and the ones that i have had were not so sickening to me. Perhaps I'm allergic to the style or something, but I just can't recommend this.

2.16/5  rDev -42.9%

After reading the other reviews I see Im in the minority NOT A FAN! Had seen this beer around forever finally gave it a try seeing as its on the list in my beer club all I can say is it was a challenge to drink the whole glass! Was my first and can say last!
Its appearance was unimpressive.
The taste was just bad & left unplesent taste in mouth.
The smell was the nicest thing I can say about this beer and even that didnt jump out at me!

2.16/5  rDev -42.9%

Bottle. Aroma like rotting citrus. This an is excellent description provided by a non-beer drinker (my wife). Having owned several citrus trees myself, this description is dead on. It is not an unpleasant aroma, but distinctive. Appearance similar grapefruit juice. Foamy head that dissipates within two minutes. Taste is typical but watery. Feel is creamy and a little oily. Aftertaste is a flat and unpleasant. I really wanted to like this beer because it is readily available in this area. With each bottle over several sittings I liked it less. Might have been an old bottle, because I know several folks that enjoy this beer. Will try again later and re-evaluate if necessary.

2.2/5  rDev -41.8%

Appearance - Bright lemon yellow. Cloudy with a mild head that faded quickly. Looked like a glass of lemonade. (It was served on tap with a lemon wedge on a toothpick resting on the rim of the glass.)

Smell - Lemon zing (and I took the lemon off the glass immediately). A very tangy aroma.

Taste - This beer had the typical clove/coriander flavor. Nothing special.

Mouthfeel - The combination of the thin mouthfeel and the uninspiring taste really ruined this beer for me.

Drinkability - Never again. If you are a fan of the clovey, witbiers I am sure you can find a better choice. Though I admit that it takes a really superb one to win me over, as it is not my favorite style of beer.

2.2/5  rDev -41.8%

This beer is cloudy yellow in color. It has a floral aroma and soapy, hops flavors.

2.23/5  rDev -41%

The color of this beer is a cloudy medium yellow. The aroma you get is a spiciness smell and is kind of strong. Tasting this beer is another story at first it is tangy and sharp with an after taste that is not all that pleasant.

2.26/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I don't really like Belgian White's, so that's really my only beef here other than a horrible after taste.

2.26/5  rDev -40.2%

A- Very pale somewhere between lemon and grey

S- Not a lot, but what there is was floral, some herb & citrus.

T- Almost none really. Maybe it tasted of something before InBev got their hands on it?

M- Soapy water, medium carbonation.

D- OK with a curry where taste is irrelevant.

Notes - Don't know if it's the same in the US, but it crowds every supermarket shelf here in the UK, it would be nice to have a decent Belgian witbier available. I'm sure I remember this being OK in the past, but it's day seems to have passed.

2.28/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Light/pale color, almost fruity in smell, but had a heavy malt flavor in taste.

2.32/5  rDev -38.6%

A week blue moon, orange zest flavor

Hoegaarden Original White Ale from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden