1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,576 | Reviews: 1,601 | Show All Ratings:
lester619

Wisconsin

1.1/5  rDev -71%

I just simply don't get this style of beer. The coriander and orange mixed together with hops and malts and yeast just have never made any sense to me. The smell is sweet and citrusy at first, but then it turns into something like bolonga. That sounds strnge, but thats what I smell. Very, very bad. It looks alright when poured into the mug. Very pale, cloudy with a big fluffy head. Then it went into my mouth. The spice and the orange and the hops and the malt just don't get along. Couple this with the fact that this bottle aparently has been around for a while. This add a slight oxidized skunky udertone to everything. It's just nausiating. Milllions of people love it. Different strokes. More power to you. In my opinion it's some of the most hidiously undrinkable stuff in existance.

10-15-2009 17:45:01 | More by lester619
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

1.27/5  rDev -66.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

me and a buddy sat out on the deck,and tried this beer,we had no idea what to expect from this beer,first pour and i thought,what the...very pale cloudy yellow,kinda murky looking.Had a nice thick white head though.
The aroma,whoa...lots of spices with bananas and a fermented weiner smell to it...eww
First taste and you get all the wheat and banana spice taste,but than the aftertaste,it really hits hard...that fermented weiner taste that just doesn't go away.It's like you have to plug your nose on this one,but it's always there at... the back...lingering eww,again.
I tried to finish it but it was even more pronounced as it warmed,I than decided that's enough and poured it into my garden...by the way..my buddy did the same...
This one is not for me,will have a hard time trying again.

09-02-2007 16:02:11 | More by GrimmReaper
Hoppsbabo

United Kingdom (England)

1.35/5  rDev -64.4%

Despite my real aversion to this beer I've actually drank quite a lot of it over the years.

A: Pale gold semi opaque. Pours a one finger head which disappears. Slightly bubbly body.

S: Vanilla.

T: I normally like coriander in beer but in Hoegaarden it tastes of overwhelming, sickly vanilla. It's watery, bitter, fizzy and reminds me a lot of Alka-Seltzer, or at best an unpleasant ice cream soda. Incredibly ill-balanced and no depth of character. Leaves a sour, yeasty flavour on my palate - not the hallmark of a good beer.

O: I try not to talk dirty of beers I don't like but I'm not exactly kicking a dead puppy by scorning this multi award winning macro travesty. Along with Stella Artois I think it's one of the most overrated beers in the world, and it's really expensive so I make no apologies for saying it's genuinely one of the worst beers I've ever had.

Serving type: can

02-26-2012 14:28:45 | More by Hoppsbabo
tfrench8985

Connecticut

1.38/5  rDev -63.6%

i think this beer was very bad with a chemical aftertaste... my friend brought it over and was sayin how good it was, he brought over hoegaarden and i bought bodingtons iand i thought the bodington ale was much much better. this beer should not have this high of a rating on here, its even higher ten bass, come on now

06-22-2008 21:14:24 | More by tfrench8985
barrelman

1.5/5  rDev -60.4%

Beer poured with a decent head, possibly due to the intense carbonation (over-carbonation, in my opinion). Light yellow with decent aroma.

The taste was like a fermented Crystal Light lemonade. No complexity or balance.

The drinkability is a moot point.

03-26-2006 01:42:55 | More by barrelman
UKBeerDrinker

1.5/5  rDev -60.4%

looks like a wheat beer cloudy, straw coloured but tasted sickly sweet. no bitterness just nasty there's light refreshing beers and there's nasty beers this one was nasty.

I know I didn't give it a full review but this is one of the only beers out of hundreds I didn't like.

10-01-2012 19:07:09 | More by UKBeerDrinker
Strand

North Dakota

1.78/5  rDev -53%

I do not like orange flavored beers.

One of these days I'll remember that BEFORE I buy an orange flavored beer.

I've had Hoegaarden a few times, and everytime I have one, I really struggle to finish it. And I don't know anyone that particularly likes it either. This is the beer that, when someone in my group of friends brings in a beer that turns out to taste awful, somebody says "yeah this is bad, but do you remember that Hoegaarden?" Maybe I'm not the cloudy orange flavored wheat beer type, but I'm giving it two thumbs down.

03-11-2009 16:46:36 | More by Strand
mjc410

Vermont

1.98/5  rDev -47.8%

Presentation: big ol' weizen glass

Appearance: Pale yellow, really cloudy and near opaque, big fluffy white head coming above the top of the glass.

Smell: Citrusy, spicy, with a little of that horseblanket smell that I've heard of. Not very appealing.

Taste: Bitey wheat twang. It pretty much dominates the flavor. It's really tough to drink, even more so as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Really thick and chewy. This part would be enjoyable in a good-tasting brew.

Drinkability: Ugh! I tried my hardest to finish it, and I did (Only because it was pretty expensive). This beer has nearly scared me away from wheat beer. Fortunately, there are milder types out there.

04-04-2005 22:02:32 | More by mjc410
RocketWidget

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Color is yellow with hints of white. Head is moderate, nothing special. Taste I just cannot appreciate, unfortunately. Very wheaty, and you can physically feel particles of wheat in the beer which remain in the aftertaste.

Note: This is my second Hoegaarden. The first one made me sick, so I wanted to stick it out and try another to insure it wasn't just a bad batch or something. But this one still just tastes nasty to me. The wheat taste just is nauseating to me. I know the reviews are supposed to be relative to it's style, but I haven't had many other white beers to compare this too, and the ones that i have had were not so sickening to me. Perhaps I'm allergic to the style or something, but I just can't recommend this.

10-24-2003 15:39:14 | More by RocketWidget
waughbrew

2.08/5  rDev -45.1%

Pale lemon color with creamy white head. Spicy chap stick aroma with eucalyptus to boot. Thin, acidic, carbonated lemon juice. Bleh, what the hell. Perhaps I will need to revisit this one. For now it was too phenolic, too thin, and too lemony. This can't be the beer that inspired so many other wonderful beers.

12-08-2004 01:46:49 | More by waughbrew
ant5431

Rhode Island

2.08/5  rDev -45.1%

After reading the other reviews I see Im in the minority NOT A FAN! Had seen this beer around forever finally gave it a try seeing as its on the list in my beer club all I can say is it was a challenge to drink the whole glass! Was my first and can say last!
Its appearance was unimpressive.
The taste was just bad & left unplesent taste in mouth.
The smell was the nicest thing I can say about this beer and even that didnt jump out at me!

03-16-2011 18:33:17 | More by ant5431
Umbra

Maryland

2.1/5  rDev -44.6%

Sampled this one on tap at Ale Mary's. I haven't had it in a while and have been ignoring it, as it appears to be branching out everywhere. Thought a wit would be a nice one on a hot day.
Pale, cloudy yellow with no lacing or retention to speak of. Faint wheat and citrus aromas.
This beer is limp and watery. Though some wheat and citrus tones come through, it comes across as a non-syrupy citrus soda drink. Chalky finish and weak mouthfeel. I guess it used to be better.

06-11-2007 16:10:15 | More by Umbra
chickenflea

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

Bottle. Aroma like rotting citrus. This an is excellent description provided by a non-beer drinker (my wife). Having owned several citrus trees myself, this description is dead on. It is not an unpleasant aroma, but distinctive. Appearance similar grapefruit juice. Foamy head that dissipates within two minutes. Taste is typical but watery. Feel is creamy and a little oily. Aftertaste is a flat and unpleasant. I really wanted to like this beer because it is readily available in this area. With each bottle over several sittings I liked it less. Might have been an old bottle, because I know several folks that enjoy this beer. Will try again later and re-evaluate if necessary.

06-20-2010 22:06:25 | More by chickenflea
mrgrinch

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

Appearance - Bright lemon yellow. Cloudy with a mild head that faded quickly. Looked like a glass of lemonade. (It was served on tap with a lemon wedge on a toothpick resting on the rim of the glass.)

Smell - Lemon zing (and I took the lemon off the glass immediately). A very tangy aroma.

Taste - This beer had the typical clove/coriander flavor. Nothing special.

Mouthfeel - The combination of the thin mouthfeel and the uninspiring taste really ruined this beer for me.

Drinkability - Never again. If you are a fan of the clovey, witbiers I am sure you can find a better choice. Though I admit that it takes a really superb one to win me over, as it is not my favorite style of beer.

08-02-2010 22:37:53 | More by mrgrinch
bventure

United Kingdom (England)

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

A- Very pale somewhere between lemon and grey

S- Not a lot, but what there is was floral, some herb & citrus.

T- Almost none really. Maybe it tasted of something before InBev got their hands on it?

M- Soapy water, medium carbonation.

D- OK with a curry where taste is irrelevant.

Notes - Don't know if it's the same in the US, but it crowds every supermarket shelf here in the UK, it would be nice to have a decent Belgian witbier available. I'm sure I remember this being OK in the past, but it's day seems to have passed.

02-03-2011 22:10:35 | More by bventure
JDV

2.33/5  rDev -38.5%

A classic, but just tastes similar to every hefeweizen and wit I've had before. Not bad, but nothing unique other than the freakishly long lasting head. Coriander, clove and lemon tastes, light bodied, and easy to drink if you like those flavors in beer, which I don't particularly. Good if you like the style.

02-22-2008 05:24:52 | More by JDV
tesguino

Mexico

2.35/5  rDev -38%

An herbal white belgian beer, i try this from carrefour, expensive for a mexican beers, in general is under the average, good for cheese, german cuisine, and chinese, serve in a goblet, smeel herbs and spice´s, taste lightly bitter, very soft; you can try with something of mexican gourmet food; 60% recommended.

10-20-2005 18:03:05 | More by tesguino
jsh420

best by 2/28/10

pours a cloudy pale yellow but almost white with a 1/2 finger head that left no lacing

smells of lemon and wheat not much

taste is almost medicinal - some wheat and yeast - but very watered down - its been over a year since i have had this beer and i dont remember it being this bad

mouthfeel is so so - very thin and watered down with some carbonation

drinkability is not good since the taste is so bad but it is very light and could throw back many

07-02-2009 00:52:57 | More by jsh420
ThickNStout

Georgia

2.35/5  rDev -38%

12oz bottle given to me by a well meaning friend in a random mixed 6 pack. Served in a Southern Tier snifter.

Pours hazy light yellow with 3 fingers of lively white head. Looks like frothy lemonade. A little spotty lacing here & there.

Smells like wheat, lemons & mild spice.

Tastes are light and subdued. Lemon, grassy, maybe a bit of coriander. Aftertaste is fairy sweet.

Body is very light with moderate to high carbonation.

Not something I'd have ever bought myself & it does nothing to convince me that I should explore the style further. I may enjoy one of these after doing yard work but there are so many other brews available with a lot more going on in them. It wasn't bad, just really boring.

02-21-2012 23:59:40 | More by ThickNStout
Onenote81

2.38/5  rDev -37.2%

Got this from a "make your own sixer." Pours a cloudy yellow; looks like pond water. Large frothy head, pretty good retention, but no sticky lacing.

Smell of very strong banana and clove. Can smell the wheat. Very sweet smelling. A little strong for my liking.

Taste is a little more balanced for a witbier. Some of the others I've tried were a little too tart. This one doesn't have that tangy tart tast which is nice. I can taste the wheat for sure. Not bitter, not sweet; just kinda there.

Creamy mouthfeel. Drinkable brew considering the style, but I just can't take the smell. Smell effects taste, and this one ruins it. I won't have this one again.

10-08-2008 21:29:40 | More by Onenote81
ne0m00re

2.42/5  rDev -36.1%

05/17/11- Review of a 12 oz bottle marked (Best by 08/14/11).
A: Very pale yellow and hazy with a good white head and lacing.
S: Lemon, aspartame, and yeasty bread.
T: Bread, aspartame, weird lemon with zest.
M: Moderate body and frothy.
O: ...OK, why does this have a B+ rating? This is definitely a below-average representative of the style.

05-20-2011 00:16:03 | More by ne0m00re
Globetrotter

2.48/5  rDev -34.6%

Comes in a distinctive 33cl brown bottle with a bulge in the neck. The label is pretty plain - dare I say "low budget"? "Orange flavoring" and coriander are listed as ingredients. Best before 11/12/04, maybe I opened it a year too soon, on 11/7/03.

The appearance is gorgeous - cloudy yellow with a small white head that lacks contour but retains extremely well and leaves some lace. The nose is outstanding - fruity, tangy, wheaty. The mouth is light and prickly, as it should be. Some much for the nice things I have to say. The taste was, well, the diplomatic term would be "subdued". I struggled to find anything, and came up with wheat and citrus. There are no hops, no malt, no redeeming qualities. The taste of this bottle was surprisingly bland, even tasteless. I was hugely disappointed in what turns out to be the Corona of witbiers. No thanks.

11-08-2003 20:02:33 | More by Globetrotter
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

2.48/5  rDev -34.6%

Into a pint glass:

A: pale yellow colored body leaving a decent sized white head

S: yeast up front but wasn't exactly balanced with the hops and malt

T: exactly the same as the smell, yet coming through in a bland way

M: medium with harshness pounding my tongue in every sort of way known to mankind, wow!

O: average for the style, but I never thought I'd ever come back to this, but it was free recently, so here's a better take on it since the last time I had it. I'm still not a fan.

01-24-2013 01:03:03 | More by BeerKangaroo
beerceller99

Louisiana

2.5/5  rDev -34%

12.oz. bottle. Has a cloudy, straw color with a decent head. Reeks of a spiced up polish sausage.Has a tangy, tart, sour lemon and clove-spice flavor.Light bodied. I've tried this brew a few times and still can't get past the extreme sour, tart flavor here.

09-20-2004 17:37:06 | More by beerceller99
oldirtycaffrey

2.5/5  rDev -34%

Maybe I am really an uncivilized beer drinker, because I really did not enjoy this at all. The appearance is the cloudy fizz that is associated with a witbier, and the smell--its best attribute in my opinion--is citrusy and bright. But the taste to me was sour & harsh--just not enjoyable. You can taste the citrus and wheat, but the overwhelming sourness just made it totally unenjoyable.

Not a fan.

***Edited 9/14/07*** Still had one of these in my fridge and was nearly contemplating tossing it, but decided to give it another try. I was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Still has an overall "sourness" to it that would really not make me desire having more than one, but its crispness *was* refreshing. Smell is still its best quality, imo. Enjoy.***

06-09-2007 12:27:15 | More by oldirtycaffrey