Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
JohnBeerRun

10-13-2012 19:40:48 | More by LakelandGrillsmith
lester619

Wisconsin

1.1/5  rDev -71%

I just simply don't get this style of beer. The coriander and orange mixed together with hops and malts and yeast just have never made any sense to me. The smell is sweet and citrusy at first, but then it turns into something like bolonga. That sounds strnge, but thats what I smell. Very, very bad. It looks alright when poured into the mug. Very pale, cloudy with a big fluffy head. Then it went into my mouth. The spice and the orange and the hops and the malt just don't get along. Couple this with the fact that this bottle aparently has been around for a while. This add a slight oxidized skunky udertone to everything. It's just nausiating. Milllions of people love it. Different strokes. More power to you. In my opinion it's some of the most hidiously undrinkable stuff in existance.

10-15-2009 17:45:01 | More by lester619

09-08-2013 23:11:49 | More by cj5y
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

1.27/5  rDev -66.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

me and a buddy sat out on the deck,and tried this beer,we had no idea what to expect from this beer,first pour and i thought,what the...very pale cloudy yellow,kinda murky looking.Had a nice thick white head though.
The aroma,whoa...lots of spices with bananas and a fermented weiner smell to it...eww
First taste and you get all the wheat and banana spice taste,but than the aftertaste,it really hits hard...that fermented weiner taste that just doesn't go away.It's like you have to plug your nose on this one,but it's always there at... the back...lingering eww,again.
I tried to finish it but it was even more pronounced as it warmed,I than decided that's enough and poured it into my garden...by the way..my buddy did the same...
This one is not for me,will have a hard time trying again.

09-02-2007 16:02:11 | More by GrimmReaper
Hoppsbabo

United Kingdom (England)

1.35/5  rDev -64.4%

Despite my real aversion to this beer I've actually drank quite a lot of it over the years.

A: Pale gold semi opaque. Pours a one finger head which disappears. Slightly bubbly body.

S: Vanilla.

T: I normally like coriander in beer but in Hoegaarden it tastes of overwhelming, sickly vanilla. It's watery, bitter, fizzy and reminds me a lot of Alka-Seltzer, or at best an unpleasant ice cream soda. Incredibly ill-balanced and no depth of character. Leaves a sour, yeasty flavour on my palate - not the hallmark of a good beer.

O: I try not to talk dirty of beers I don't like but I'm not exactly kicking a dead puppy by scorning this multi award winning macro travesty. Along with Stella Artois I think it's one of the most overrated beers in the world, and it's really expensive so I make no apologies for saying it's genuinely one of the worst beers I've ever had.

Serving type: can

02-26-2012 14:28:45 | More by Hoppsbabo
tfrench8985

Connecticut

1.38/5  rDev -63.6%

i think this beer was very bad with a chemical aftertaste... my friend brought it over and was sayin how good it was, he brought over hoegaarden and i bought bodingtons iand i thought the bodington ale was much much better. this beer should not have this high of a rating on here, its even higher ten bass, come on now

06-22-2008 21:14:24 | More by tfrench8985

lguy29

01-04-2014 01:51:46 | More by lguy29
UKBeerDrinker

1.5/5  rDev -60.4%

looks like a wheat beer cloudy, straw coloured but tasted sickly sweet. no bitterness just nasty there's light refreshing beers and there's nasty beers this one was nasty.

I know I didn't give it a full review but this is one of the only beers out of hundreds I didn't like.

10-01-2012 19:07:09 | More by UKBeerDrinker

Kentucky

12-02-2012 18:11:22 | More by mwar
barrelman

1.5/5  rDev -60.4%

Beer poured with a decent head, possibly due to the intense carbonation (over-carbonation, in my opinion). Light yellow with decent aroma.

The taste was like a fermented Crystal Light lemonade. No complexity or balance.

The drinkability is a moot point.

03-26-2006 01:42:55 | More by barrelman

Strand

North Dakota

1.78/5  rDev -53%

I do not like orange flavored beers.

One of these days I'll remember that BEFORE I buy an orange flavored beer.

I've had Hoegaarden a few times, and everytime I have one, I really struggle to finish it. And I don't know anyone that particularly likes it either. This is the beer that, when someone in my group of friends brings in a beer that turns out to taste awful, somebody says "yeah this is bad, but do you remember that Hoegaarden?" Maybe I'm not the cloudy orange flavored wheat beer type, but I'm giving it two thumbs down.

03-11-2009 16:46:36 | More by Strand
mjc410

Vermont

1.98/5  rDev -47.8%

Presentation: big ol' weizen glass

Appearance: Pale yellow, really cloudy and near opaque, big fluffy white head coming above the top of the glass.

Smell: Citrusy, spicy, with a little of that horseblanket smell that I've heard of. Not very appealing.

Taste: Bitey wheat twang. It pretty much dominates the flavor. It's really tough to drink, even more so as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Really thick and chewy. This part would be enjoyable in a good-tasting brew.

Drinkability: Ugh! I tried my hardest to finish it, and I did (Only because it was pretty expensive). This beer has nearly scared me away from wheat beer. Fortunately, there are milder types out there.

04-04-2005 22:02:32 | More by mjc410