2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,576 | Reviews: 1,601 | Show All Ratings:
ant5431

Rhode Island

2.08/5  rDev -45.1%

After reading the other reviews I see Im in the minority NOT A FAN! Had seen this beer around forever finally gave it a try seeing as its on the list in my beer club all I can say is it was a challenge to drink the whole glass! Was my first and can say last!
Its appearance was unimpressive.
The taste was just bad & left unplesent taste in mouth.
The smell was the nicest thing I can say about this beer and even that didnt jump out at me!

03-16-2011 18:33:17 | More by ant5431
Umbra

Maryland

2.1/5  rDev -44.6%

Sampled this one on tap at Ale Mary's. I haven't had it in a while and have been ignoring it, as it appears to be branching out everywhere. Thought a wit would be a nice one on a hot day.
Pale, cloudy yellow with no lacing or retention to speak of. Faint wheat and citrus aromas.
This beer is limp and watery. Though some wheat and citrus tones come through, it comes across as a non-syrupy citrus soda drink. Chalky finish and weak mouthfeel. I guess it used to be better.

06-11-2007 16:10:15 | More by Umbra
chickenflea

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

Bottle. Aroma like rotting citrus. This an is excellent description provided by a non-beer drinker (my wife). Having owned several citrus trees myself, this description is dead on. It is not an unpleasant aroma, but distinctive. Appearance similar grapefruit juice. Foamy head that dissipates within two minutes. Taste is typical but watery. Feel is creamy and a little oily. Aftertaste is a flat and unpleasant. I really wanted to like this beer because it is readily available in this area. With each bottle over several sittings I liked it less. Might have been an old bottle, because I know several folks that enjoy this beer. Will try again later and re-evaluate if necessary.

06-20-2010 22:06:25 | More by chickenflea
mrgrinch

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

Appearance - Bright lemon yellow. Cloudy with a mild head that faded quickly. Looked like a glass of lemonade. (It was served on tap with a lemon wedge on a toothpick resting on the rim of the glass.)

Smell - Lemon zing (and I took the lemon off the glass immediately). A very tangy aroma.

Taste - This beer had the typical clove/coriander flavor. Nothing special.

Mouthfeel - The combination of the thin mouthfeel and the uninspiring taste really ruined this beer for me.

Drinkability - Never again. If you are a fan of the clovey, witbiers I am sure you can find a better choice. Though I admit that it takes a really superb one to win me over, as it is not my favorite style of beer.

08-02-2010 22:37:53 | More by mrgrinch
bventure

United Kingdom (England)

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

A- Very pale somewhere between lemon and grey

S- Not a lot, but what there is was floral, some herb & citrus.

T- Almost none really. Maybe it tasted of something before InBev got their hands on it?

M- Soapy water, medium carbonation.

D- OK with a curry where taste is irrelevant.

Notes - Don't know if it's the same in the US, but it crowds every supermarket shelf here in the UK, it would be nice to have a decent Belgian witbier available. I'm sure I remember this being OK in the past, but it's day seems to have passed.

02-03-2011 22:10:35 | More by bventure
JDV

2.33/5  rDev -38.5%

A classic, but just tastes similar to every hefeweizen and wit I've had before. Not bad, but nothing unique other than the freakishly long lasting head. Coriander, clove and lemon tastes, light bodied, and easy to drink if you like those flavors in beer, which I don't particularly. Good if you like the style.

02-22-2008 05:24:52 | More by JDV
tesguino

Mexico

2.35/5  rDev -38%

An herbal white belgian beer, i try this from carrefour, expensive for a mexican beers, in general is under the average, good for cheese, german cuisine, and chinese, serve in a goblet, smeel herbs and spice´s, taste lightly bitter, very soft; you can try with something of mexican gourmet food; 60% recommended.

10-20-2005 18:03:05 | More by tesguino
jsh420

best by 2/28/10

pours a cloudy pale yellow but almost white with a 1/2 finger head that left no lacing

smells of lemon and wheat not much

taste is almost medicinal - some wheat and yeast - but very watered down - its been over a year since i have had this beer and i dont remember it being this bad

mouthfeel is so so - very thin and watered down with some carbonation

drinkability is not good since the taste is so bad but it is very light and could throw back many

07-02-2009 00:52:57 | More by jsh420
ThickNStout

Georgia

2.35/5  rDev -38%

12oz bottle given to me by a well meaning friend in a random mixed 6 pack. Served in a Southern Tier snifter.

Pours hazy light yellow with 3 fingers of lively white head. Looks like frothy lemonade. A little spotty lacing here & there.

Smells like wheat, lemons & mild spice.

Tastes are light and subdued. Lemon, grassy, maybe a bit of coriander. Aftertaste is fairy sweet.

Body is very light with moderate to high carbonation.

Not something I'd have ever bought myself & it does nothing to convince me that I should explore the style further. I may enjoy one of these after doing yard work but there are so many other brews available with a lot more going on in them. It wasn't bad, just really boring.

02-21-2012 23:59:40 | More by ThickNStout
Onenote81

2.38/5  rDev -37.2%

Got this from a "make your own sixer." Pours a cloudy yellow; looks like pond water. Large frothy head, pretty good retention, but no sticky lacing.

Smell of very strong banana and clove. Can smell the wheat. Very sweet smelling. A little strong for my liking.

Taste is a little more balanced for a witbier. Some of the others I've tried were a little too tart. This one doesn't have that tangy tart tast which is nice. I can taste the wheat for sure. Not bitter, not sweet; just kinda there.

Creamy mouthfeel. Drinkable brew considering the style, but I just can't take the smell. Smell effects taste, and this one ruins it. I won't have this one again.

10-08-2008 21:29:40 | More by Onenote81
ne0m00re

2.42/5  rDev -36.1%

05/17/11- Review of a 12 oz bottle marked (Best by 08/14/11).
A: Very pale yellow and hazy with a good white head and lacing.
S: Lemon, aspartame, and yeasty bread.
T: Bread, aspartame, weird lemon with zest.
M: Moderate body and frothy.
O: ...OK, why does this have a B+ rating? This is definitely a below-average representative of the style.

05-20-2011 00:16:03 | More by ne0m00re
Globetrotter

2.48/5  rDev -34.6%

Comes in a distinctive 33cl brown bottle with a bulge in the neck. The label is pretty plain - dare I say "low budget"? "Orange flavoring" and coriander are listed as ingredients. Best before 11/12/04, maybe I opened it a year too soon, on 11/7/03.

The appearance is gorgeous - cloudy yellow with a small white head that lacks contour but retains extremely well and leaves some lace. The nose is outstanding - fruity, tangy, wheaty. The mouth is light and prickly, as it should be. Some much for the nice things I have to say. The taste was, well, the diplomatic term would be "subdued". I struggled to find anything, and came up with wheat and citrus. There are no hops, no malt, no redeeming qualities. The taste of this bottle was surprisingly bland, even tasteless. I was hugely disappointed in what turns out to be the Corona of witbiers. No thanks.

11-08-2003 20:02:33 | More by Globetrotter
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

2.48/5  rDev -34.6%

Into a pint glass:

A: pale yellow colored body leaving a decent sized white head

S: yeast up front but wasn't exactly balanced with the hops and malt

T: exactly the same as the smell, yet coming through in a bland way

M: medium with harshness pounding my tongue in every sort of way known to mankind, wow!

O: average for the style, but I never thought I'd ever come back to this, but it was free recently, so here's a better take on it since the last time I had it. I'm still not a fan.

01-24-2013 01:03:03 | More by BeerKangaroo
beerceller99

Louisiana

2.5/5  rDev -34%

12.oz. bottle. Has a cloudy, straw color with a decent head. Reeks of a spiced up polish sausage.Has a tangy, tart, sour lemon and clove-spice flavor.Light bodied. I've tried this brew a few times and still can't get past the extreme sour, tart flavor here.

09-20-2004 17:37:06 | More by beerceller99
oldirtycaffrey

2.5/5  rDev -34%

Maybe I am really an uncivilized beer drinker, because I really did not enjoy this at all. The appearance is the cloudy fizz that is associated with a witbier, and the smell--its best attribute in my opinion--is citrusy and bright. But the taste to me was sour & harsh--just not enjoyable. You can taste the citrus and wheat, but the overwhelming sourness just made it totally unenjoyable.

Not a fan.

***Edited 9/14/07*** Still had one of these in my fridge and was nearly contemplating tossing it, but decided to give it another try. I was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Still has an overall "sourness" to it that would really not make me desire having more than one, but its crispness *was* refreshing. Smell is still its best quality, imo. Enjoy.***

06-09-2007 12:27:15 | More by oldirtycaffrey
cheapxceptbeer

2.5/5  rDev -34%

A- Decent head with solid retention, and good lacing.

S- Yeasty, lemony, medicinal, not very inviting.

T- I am not a fan, this would be a generally unoffensive beer if it were not for the strange medicinal flavor, like latex gloves. Otherwise a bland wheat beer.

M- Medium body, pretty solid mouthfeel, nothing special but solid.

D- I don't like the taste so there is no reason for me to get another.

Well for the best known "white ale," this is very dissatisfying, I wish it was franziskaner that was available on draft for 5 bucks at the Joshua Tree.

05-21-2009 20:54:57 | More by cheapxceptbeer
froghop

Washington

2.53/5  rDev -33.2%

on tap at the orchard parade hotel in Singapore.

pours a cloudy pale yellow/white with a large white head, and good lacing.

smell is of wheat, and citrus.

taste is as it smells, wheat, and lemon.

overall an average brew, a little too much on the lemon side for me.

04-08-2009 03:33:14 | More by froghop
OKCNittany

Oklahoma

2.55/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

served in a pint glass - on-tap

A: A hazy pale yellow w/ a tiny head. Little lacing. It didn't look like much.

S: Faint scent of citrus. Didn't smell like much either.

T: Citrus flavors and something unpleasantly bitter. There's something in here I don't like - coriander, maybe? Not sure it matters, but I wish I knew so I could avoid it in other beers.

M: Feels ok - light/med body. Higher than average carbonation.

D: Goes down easy, but this is clearly not for me. This will be my last.

Even worse, this replaced Bully Porter at my corner bar. It may be time to find a new corner bar.

07-21-2007 15:53:44 | More by OKCNittany
klaybie

2.55/5  rDev -32.7%

Bought this as part of a mix-a-six pack. I was looking forward to trying this beer but was left dissapointed.

This beer pours a pale hazy yellow with light carbonation and looks like someone mixed lemonade with some soda water.

The nose is almost non existent but does have traces of lemon and some spices.

The taste is quite different than what I'm used to. It is quite fruity but with an artifical aftertaste that is pretty dry as well.

Hoegaarden has a nice mouthfeel with light carbonation but the taste just kind of kills the enjoyment overall for me.

All in all probably not bad on a really hot day but not one I will search for again.

03-23-2010 17:51:50 | More by klaybie
BrownAleMale

Wisconsin

2.58/5  rDev -31.9%

12oz bottle poured into a Kasteel chalice glass

Appearance- The color is a hazy straw yellow with very little white head that dissipates almost completely.

Smell- A distinct European malt with a lemon hop also shining through.

Taste- Lots of grassy malt flavor with a quick appearance by some citrus hop.

Mouthfeel- Definitly on the watery side.

Overall- This ia a beer that definitly needs the help of some citrus fruit.

12-09-2012 22:02:08 | More by BrownAleMale
Daredevil

Switzerland

2.6/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I must confess, this style is not my favorite ... I am not a great lover of Weisse (wheat) in general (although there are some real great ones in the bavarian style) ...
this brew reminds me a bit of Berliner Weisse (something I can hardly drink in a pure state) with a dominant citric acidity and sourness, however it has some additional spices (coriander) and peppery taste ... no doubt a great thirst quencher, but if the choice was mine, I'd go for an IPA ....

06-27-2006 12:09:30 | More by Daredevil
sluggermatt15

2.6/5  rDev -31.4%

A- Poured a hazy, cloudy lemon color with an off-white head. Definitely a witbier.

S- Wheaty, some lemon zest.

T- There is a spiciness to it and the taste is mostly a sharp, bittery lemony wheat-like taste. A little difficult to explain. I wasn't impressed as the taste is a little overpowering.

M- Average, just average. This beer is a little thicker than expected and it is rather sticky in the mouthfeel. I didn't really care for it too much.

D- I only had one with lunch and that's about all I would have. I don't think this is a session beer. I couldn't have another, mainly because of the taste and mouthfeel. Neither was appealing to me.

Overall, I didn't like this beer very much. I had higher expectations for it than what it turned out to be. Probably wouldn't go for another.

08-21-2010 01:53:23 | More by sluggermatt15
jasonpeckins32

2.65/5  rDev -30.1%

What I really cant believe is that I havent tried this beer yet. Probably the only beer Ive seen sitting there on the shelf a thousand times without ever actually buying it. Strange also, its one of my favorite styles.

Pours a very pale yellow color with a slight haze. A nice fluffy white head was created through a vigorous pour. Decent lacings left behind.

The aroma is simple. A little citrus fruits, a little of that wheat ale smell. The taste is also remarkably simple. A few hints of lemon and on the yeasty side, theres really not any large standout flavors in this one. There may be a few remnant flavors of some spices floating around in it, but nothing noteworthy.

Mouthfeel is crisp, dry, and refreshing. A light bodied beer, but I'm impressed with the refreshing mouthfeel and adequate carbonation. Drinkability is good also, I could drink these all day without ever getting tired of them, but also without ever having an excellent beer all day either.

10-15-2007 06:37:53 | More by jasonpeckins32
ljbrisson

2.65/5  rDev -30.1%

Had on tap at Charlie Brown's steakhouse. Served in a pint glass a Crayola orange-yellow color with a half-finger of foamy white head which left sparse lacing. Aroma was banana, orange, cloves and lemon. Mouthfeel was much thinner than I thought it would be with little carbonation. Taste was like the nose, adding some along with hard sugar candy sweetness. Drinkability is low. Overall this is a mediocre beer which I did not particularly enjoy. I feel it does not exemplify the style. There was no crispness as there is in other wits I have tried, just a syrupy candy sweetness. Maybe it has something to do with it being on tap. I would only ever try this again from a bottle, in order to give it a fair shot.

03-31-2009 15:50:01 | More by ljbrisson
ILessThan3Brett

2.65/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

First off, RIP Pierre Celis: resurrected Hoegaarden in 1966, a time of Belgian white dearth, left around 1988 after forced takeover by what is now ABInBev, died a month ago today.

I'm really writing this review because the last few Hoegaardens I've had (all from bottle, all poured into hexagonal Hoegaarden glass) have really hammered home that this is an ABInbev product. This makes me sad because Hoegaarden was one of the first beers I ever really liked. I feel that its quality has dropped off since I first had it in 2006. In particular, it now has that special distinction common to mass-produced beer: it when slightly warmed, it has a chalky, artificial taste that makes it drinkable only when very cold. Overall, I still very much appreciate the seasonings added to this beer, but something has gone wrong here with the wheat, yeast, hops, or fermentation, and I see myself heavily, heavily favoring beers like Allagash White over Hoegaarden going forward.

05-10-2011 13:53:39 | More by ILessThan3Brett