Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,690 | Hads: 4,737
2.09/5  rDev -46%

Pale lemon color with creamy white head. Spicy chap stick aroma with eucalyptus to boot. Thin, acidic, carbonated lemon juice. Bleh, what the hell. Perhaps I will need to revisit this one. For now it was too phenolic, too thin, and too lemony. This can't be the beer that inspired so many other wonderful beers. (311 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -45.5%

Sampled this one on tap at Ale Mary's. I haven't had it in a while and have been ignoring it, as it appears to be branching out everywhere. Thought a wit would be a nice one on a hot day.
Pale, cloudy yellow with no lacing or retention to speak of. Faint wheat and citrus aromas.
This beer is limp and watery. Though some wheat and citrus tones come through, it comes across as a non-syrupy citrus soda drink. Chalky finish and weak mouthfeel. I guess it used to be better. (476 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -45%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Color is yellow with hints of white. Head is moderate, nothing special. Taste I just cannot appreciate, unfortunately. Very wheaty, and you can physically feel particles of wheat in the beer which remain in the aftertaste.

Note: This is my second Hoegaarden. The first one made me sick, so I wanted to stick it out and try another to insure it wasn't just a bad batch or something. But this one still just tastes nasty to me. The wheat taste just is nauseating to me. I know the reviews are supposed to be relative to it's style, but I haven't had many other white beers to compare this too, and the ones that i have had were not so sickening to me. Perhaps I'm allergic to the style or something, but I just can't recommend this. (733 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -44.2%

After reading the other reviews I see Im in the minority NOT A FAN! Had seen this beer around forever finally gave it a try seeing as its on the list in my beer club all I can say is it was a challenge to drink the whole glass! Was my first and can say last!
Its appearance was unimpressive.
The taste was just bad & left unplesent taste in mouth.
The smell was the nicest thing I can say about this beer and even that didnt jump out at me! (444 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -44.2%

Bottle. Aroma like rotting citrus. This an is excellent description provided by a non-beer drinker (my wife). Having owned several citrus trees myself, this description is dead on. It is not an unpleasant aroma, but distinctive. Appearance similar grapefruit juice. Foamy head that dissipates within two minutes. Taste is typical but watery. Feel is creamy and a little oily. Aftertaste is a flat and unpleasant. I really wanted to like this beer because it is readily available in this area. With each bottle over several sittings I liked it less. Might have been an old bottle, because I know several folks that enjoy this beer. Will try again later and re-evaluate if necessary. (681 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -43.2%

Appearance - Bright lemon yellow. Cloudy with a mild head that faded quickly. Looked like a glass of lemonade. (It was served on tap with a lemon wedge on a toothpick resting on the rim of the glass.)

Smell - Lemon zing (and I took the lemon off the glass immediately). A very tangy aroma.

Taste - This beer had the typical clove/coriander flavor. Nothing special.

Mouthfeel - The combination of the thin mouthfeel and the uninspiring taste really ruined this beer for me.

Drinkability - Never again. If you are a fan of the clovey, witbiers I am sure you can find a better choice. Though I admit that it takes a really superb one to win me over, as it is not my favorite style of beer. (692 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -42.4%

The color of this beer is a cloudy medium yellow. The aroma you get is a spiciness smell and is kind of strong. Tasting this beer is another story at first it is tangy and sharp with an after taste that is not all that pleasant. (228 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -41.6%

A- Very pale somewhere between lemon and grey

S- Not a lot, but what there is was floral, some herb & citrus.

T- Almost none really. Maybe it tasted of something before InBev got their hands on it?

M- Soapy water, medium carbonation.

D- OK with a curry where taste is irrelevant.

Notes - Don't know if it's the same in the US, but it crowds every supermarket shelf here in the UK, it would be nice to have a decent Belgian witbier available. I'm sure I remember this being OK in the past, but it's day seems to have passed.

(533 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Not my favorite beer. It is a cloudy-goldish colored beer. I think it smells like coffee. I thought It is bitter tasting, and therefore its not my favorite. (156 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -39.8%

An herbal white belgian beer, i try this from carrefour, expensive for a mexican beers, in general is under the average, good for cheese, german cuisine, and chinese, serve in a goblet, smeel herbs and spice´s, taste lightly bitter, very soft; you can try with something of mexican gourmet food; 60% recommended. (313 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -38.8%

A classic, but just tastes similar to every hefeweizen and wit I've had before. Not bad, but nothing unique other than the freakishly long lasting head. Coriander, clove and lemon tastes, light bodied, and easy to drink if you like those flavors in beer, which I don't particularly. Good if you like the style. (310 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -38.5%

best by 2/28/10

pours a cloudy pale yellow but almost white with a 1/2 finger head that left no lacing

smells of lemon and wheat not much

taste is almost medicinal - some wheat and yeast - but very watered down - its been over a year since i have had this beer and i dont remember it being this bad

mouthfeel is so so - very thin and watered down with some carbonation

drinkability is not good since the taste is so bad but it is very light and could throw back many (472 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -38%

12oz bottle given to me by a well meaning friend in a random mixed 6 pack. Served in a Southern Tier snifter.

Pours hazy light yellow with 3 fingers of lively white head. Looks like frothy lemonade. A little spotty lacing here & there.

Smells like wheat, lemons & mild spice.

Tastes are light and subdued. Lemon, grassy, maybe a bit of coriander. Aftertaste is fairy sweet.

Body is very light with moderate to high carbonation.

Not something I'd have ever bought myself & it does nothing to convince me that I should explore the style further. I may enjoy one of these after doing yard work but there are so many other brews available with a lot more going on in them. It wasn't bad, just really boring.  (720 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -37.7%

Got this from a "make your own sixer." Pours a cloudy yellow; looks like pond water. Large frothy head, pretty good retention, but no sticky lacing.

Smell of very strong banana and clove. Can smell the wheat. Very sweet smelling. A little strong for my liking.

Taste is a little more balanced for a witbier. Some of the others I've tried were a little too tart. This one doesn't have that tangy tart tast which is nice. I can taste the wheat for sure. Not bitter, not sweet; just kinda there.

Creamy mouthfeel. Drinkable brew considering the style, but I just can't take the smell. Smell effects taste, and this one ruins it. I won't have this one again. (658 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -35.9%

05/17/11- Review of a 12 oz bottle marked (Best by 08/14/11).
A: Very pale yellow and hazy with a good white head and lacing.
S: Lemon, aspartame, and yeasty bread.
T: Bread, aspartame, weird lemon with zest.
M: Moderate body and frothy.
O: ...OK, why does this have a B+ rating? This is definitely a below-average representative of the style. (343 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -35.1%

12.oz. bottle. Has a cloudy, straw color with a decent head. Reeks of a spiced up polish sausage.Has a tangy, tart, sour lemon and clove-spice flavor.Light bodied. I've tried this brew a few times and still can't get past the extreme sour, tart flavor here. (257 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -34.9%

Bought this as part of a mix-a-six pack. I was looking forward to trying this beer but was left dissapointed.

This beer pours a pale hazy yellow with light carbonation and looks like someone mixed lemonade with some soda water.

The nose is almost non existent but does have traces of lemon and some spices.

The taste is quite different than what I'm used to. It is quite fruity but with an artifical aftertaste that is pretty dry as well.

Hoegaarden has a nice mouthfeel with light carbonation but the taste just kind of kills the enjoyment overall for me.

All in all probably not bad on a really hot day but not one I will search for again. (649 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

served in a pint glass - on-tap

A: A hazy pale yellow w/ a tiny head. Little lacing. It didn't look like much.

S: Faint scent of citrus. Didn't smell like much either.

T: Citrus flavors and something unpleasantly bitter. There's something in here I don't like - coriander, maybe? Not sure it matters, but I wish I knew so I could avoid it in other beers.

M: Feels ok - light/med body. Higher than average carbonation.

D: Goes down easy, but this is clearly not for me. This will be my last.

Even worse, this replaced Bully Porter at my corner bar. It may be time to find a new corner bar. (607 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -33.9%

A- Decent head with solid retention, and good lacing.

S- Yeasty, lemony, medicinal, not very inviting.

T- I am not a fan, this would be a generally unoffensive beer if it were not for the strange medicinal flavor, like latex gloves. Otherwise a bland wheat beer.

M- Medium body, pretty solid mouthfeel, nothing special but solid.

D- I don't like the taste so there is no reason for me to get another.

Well for the best known "white ale," this is very dissatisfying, I wish it was franziskaner that was available on draft for 5 bucks at the Joshua Tree. (557 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -33.6%

Maybe I am really an uncivilized beer drinker, because I really did not enjoy this at all. The appearance is the cloudy fizz that is associated with a witbier, and the smell--its best attribute in my opinion--is citrusy and bright. But the taste to me was sour & harsh--just not enjoyable. You can taste the citrus and wheat, but the overwhelming sourness just made it totally unenjoyable.

Not a fan.

***Edited 9/14/07*** Still had one of these in my fridge and was nearly contemplating tossing it, but decided to give it another try. I was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Still has an overall "sourness" to it that would really not make me desire having more than one, but its crispness *was* refreshing. Smell is still its best quality, imo. Enjoy.*** (786 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

on tap at the orchard parade hotel in Singapore.

pours a cloudy pale yellow/white with a large white head, and good lacing.

smell is of wheat, and citrus.

taste is as it smells, wheat, and lemon.

overall an average brew, a little too much on the lemon side for me. (268 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -32.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Kasteel chalice glass

Appearance- The color is a hazy straw yellow with very little white head that dissipates almost completely.

Smell- A distinct European malt with a lemon hop also shining through.

Taste- Lots of grassy malt flavor with a quick appearance by some citrus hop.

Mouthfeel- Definitly on the watery side.

Overall- This ia a beer that definitly needs the help of some citrus fruit. (426 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -32.3%

Comes in a distinctive 33cl brown bottle with a bulge in the neck. The label is pretty plain - dare I say "low budget"? "Orange flavoring" and coriander are listed as ingredients. Best before 11/12/04, maybe I opened it a year too soon, on 11/7/03.

The appearance is gorgeous - cloudy yellow with a small white head that lacks contour but retains extremely well and leaves some lace. The nose is outstanding - fruity, tangy, wheaty. The mouth is light and prickly, as it should be. Some much for the nice things I have to say. The taste was, well, the diplomatic term would be "subdued". I struggled to find anything, and came up with wheat and citrus. There are no hops, no malt, no redeeming qualities. The taste of this bottle was surprisingly bland, even tasteless. I was hugely disappointed in what turns out to be the Corona of witbiers. No thanks. (857 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I must confess, this style is not my favorite ... I am not a great lover of Weisse (wheat) in general (although there are some real great ones in the bavarian style) ...
this brew reminds me a bit of Berliner Weisse (something I can hardly drink in a pure state) with a dominant citric acidity and sourness, however it has some additional spices (coriander) and peppery taste ... no doubt a great thirst quencher, but if the choice was mine, I'd go for an IPA .... (465 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -32%

A- Poured a hazy, cloudy lemon color with an off-white head. Definitely a witbier.

S- Wheaty, some lemon zest.

T- There is a spiciness to it and the taste is mostly a sharp, bittery lemony wheat-like taste. A little difficult to explain. I wasn't impressed as the taste is a little overpowering.

M- Average, just average. This beer is a little thicker than expected and it is rather sticky in the mouthfeel. I didn't really care for it too much.

D- I only had one with lunch and that's about all I would have. I don't think this is a session beer. I couldn't have another, mainly because of the taste and mouthfeel. Neither was appealing to me.

Overall, I didn't like this beer very much. I had higher expectations for it than what it turned out to be. Probably wouldn't go for another. (793 characters)

Hoegaarden Original White Ale from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden