Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,663 | Reviews: 1,747
1.78/5  rDev -52.9%

I do not like orange flavored beers.

One of these days I'll remember that BEFORE I buy an orange flavored beer.

I've had Hoegaarden a few times, and everytime I have one, I really struggle to finish it. And I don't know anyone that particularly likes it either. This is the beer that, when someone in my group of friends brings in a beer that turns out to taste awful, somebody says "yeah this is bad, but do you remember that Hoegaarden?" Maybe I'm not the cloudy orange flavored wheat beer type, but I'm giving it two thumbs down.

2.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Presentation: big ol' weizen glass

Appearance: Pale yellow, really cloudy and near opaque, big fluffy white head coming above the top of the glass.

Smell: Citrusy, spicy, with a little of that horseblanket smell that I've heard of. Not very appealing.

Taste: Bitey wheat twang. It pretty much dominates the flavor. It's really tough to drink, even more so as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Really thick and chewy. This part would be enjoyable in a good-tasting brew.

Drinkability: Ugh! I tried my hardest to finish it, and I did (Only because it was pretty expensive). This beer has nearly scared me away from wheat beer. Fortunately, there are milder types out there.

2.06/5  rDev -45.5%

Do not see what's so great about this beer, slightly below average in its class. Guess it's ok for a big name beer but it feels and tastes rather offensive going down.

2.09/5  rDev -44.7%

Pale lemon color with creamy white head. Spicy chap stick aroma with eucalyptus to boot. Thin, acidic, carbonated lemon juice. Bleh, what the hell. Perhaps I will need to revisit this one. For now it was too phenolic, too thin, and too lemony. This can't be the beer that inspired so many other wonderful beers.

2.11/5  rDev -44.2%

Sampled this one on tap at Ale Mary's. I haven't had it in a while and have been ignoring it, as it appears to be branching out everywhere. Thought a wit would be a nice one on a hot day.
Pale, cloudy yellow with no lacing or retention to speak of. Faint wheat and citrus aromas.
This beer is limp and watery. Though some wheat and citrus tones come through, it comes across as a non-syrupy citrus soda drink. Chalky finish and weak mouthfeel. I guess it used to be better.

2.13/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Color is yellow with hints of white. Head is moderate, nothing special. Taste I just cannot appreciate, unfortunately. Very wheaty, and you can physically feel particles of wheat in the beer which remain in the aftertaste.

Note: This is my second Hoegaarden. The first one made me sick, so I wanted to stick it out and try another to insure it wasn't just a bad batch or something. But this one still just tastes nasty to me. The wheat taste just is nauseating to me. I know the reviews are supposed to be relative to it's style, but I haven't had many other white beers to compare this too, and the ones that i have had were not so sickening to me. Perhaps I'm allergic to the style or something, but I just can't recommend this.

2.16/5  rDev -42.9%

After reading the other reviews I see Im in the minority NOT A FAN! Had seen this beer around forever finally gave it a try seeing as its on the list in my beer club all I can say is it was a challenge to drink the whole glass! Was my first and can say last!
Its appearance was unimpressive.
The taste was just bad & left unplesent taste in mouth.
The smell was the nicest thing I can say about this beer and even that didnt jump out at me!

2.16/5  rDev -42.9%

Bottle. Aroma like rotting citrus. This an is excellent description provided by a non-beer drinker (my wife). Having owned several citrus trees myself, this description is dead on. It is not an unpleasant aroma, but distinctive. Appearance similar grapefruit juice. Foamy head that dissipates within two minutes. Taste is typical but watery. Feel is creamy and a little oily. Aftertaste is a flat and unpleasant. I really wanted to like this beer because it is readily available in this area. With each bottle over several sittings I liked it less. Might have been an old bottle, because I know several folks that enjoy this beer. Will try again later and re-evaluate if necessary.

2.2/5  rDev -41.8%

Appearance - Bright lemon yellow. Cloudy with a mild head that faded quickly. Looked like a glass of lemonade. (It was served on tap with a lemon wedge on a toothpick resting on the rim of the glass.)

Smell - Lemon zing (and I took the lemon off the glass immediately). A very tangy aroma.

Taste - This beer had the typical clove/coriander flavor. Nothing special.

Mouthfeel - The combination of the thin mouthfeel and the uninspiring taste really ruined this beer for me.

Drinkability - Never again. If you are a fan of the clovey, witbiers I am sure you can find a better choice. Though I admit that it takes a really superb one to win me over, as it is not my favorite style of beer.

2.2/5  rDev -41.8%

This beer is cloudy yellow in color. It has a floral aroma and soapy, hops flavors.

2.23/5  rDev -41%

The color of this beer is a cloudy medium yellow. The aroma you get is a spiciness smell and is kind of strong. Tasting this beer is another story at first it is tangy and sharp with an after taste that is not all that pleasant.

2.26/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I don't really like Belgian White's, so that's really my only beef here other than a horrible after taste.

2.26/5  rDev -40.2%

A- Very pale somewhere between lemon and grey

S- Not a lot, but what there is was floral, some herb & citrus.

T- Almost none really. Maybe it tasted of something before InBev got their hands on it?

M- Soapy water, medium carbonation.

D- OK with a curry where taste is irrelevant.

Notes - Don't know if it's the same in the US, but it crowds every supermarket shelf here in the UK, it would be nice to have a decent Belgian witbier available. I'm sure I remember this being OK in the past, but it's day seems to have passed.

2.28/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Light/pale color, almost fruity in smell, but had a heavy malt flavor in taste.

2.32/5  rDev -38.6%

A week blue moon, orange zest flavor

2.33/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Not my favorite beer. It is a cloudy-goldish colored beer. I think it smells like coffee. I thought It is bitter tasting, and therefore its not my favorite.

2.33/5  rDev -38.4%

An herbal white belgian beer, i try this from carrefour, expensive for a mexican beers, in general is under the average, good for cheese, german cuisine, and chinese, serve in a goblet, smeel herbs and spice´s, taste lightly bitter, very soft; you can try with something of mexican gourmet food; 60% recommended.

2.37/5  rDev -37.3%

A classic, but just tastes similar to every hefeweizen and wit I've had before. Not bad, but nothing unique other than the freakishly long lasting head. Coriander, clove and lemon tastes, light bodied, and easy to drink if you like those flavors in beer, which I don't particularly. Good if you like the style.

2.38/5  rDev -37%

best by 2/28/10

pours a cloudy pale yellow but almost white with a 1/2 finger head that left no lacing

smells of lemon and wheat not much

taste is almost medicinal - some wheat and yeast - but very watered down - its been over a year since i have had this beer and i dont remember it being this bad

mouthfeel is so so - very thin and watered down with some carbonation

drinkability is not good since the taste is so bad but it is very light and could throw back many

2.4/5  rDev -36.5%

12oz bottle given to me by a well meaning friend in a random mixed 6 pack. Served in a Southern Tier snifter.

Pours hazy light yellow with 3 fingers of lively white head. Looks like frothy lemonade. A little spotty lacing here & there.

Smells like wheat, lemons & mild spice.

Tastes are light and subdued. Lemon, grassy, maybe a bit of coriander. Aftertaste is fairy sweet.

Body is very light with moderate to high carbonation.

Not something I'd have ever bought myself & it does nothing to convince me that I should explore the style further. I may enjoy one of these after doing yard work but there are so many other brews available with a lot more going on in them. It wasn't bad, just really boring.

2.41/5  rDev -36.2%

Got this from a "make your own sixer." Pours a cloudy yellow; looks like pond water. Large frothy head, pretty good retention, but no sticky lacing.

Smell of very strong banana and clove. Can smell the wheat. Very sweet smelling. A little strong for my liking.

Taste is a little more balanced for a witbier. Some of the others I've tried were a little too tart. This one doesn't have that tangy tart tast which is nice. I can taste the wheat for sure. Not bitter, not sweet; just kinda there.

Creamy mouthfeel. Drinkable brew considering the style, but I just can't take the smell. Smell effects taste, and this one ruins it. I won't have this one again.

2.48/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Very smooth and full of spices. A very nice light beer.

2.48/5  rDev -34.4%

05/17/11- Review of a 12 oz bottle marked (Best by 08/14/11).
A: Very pale yellow and hazy with a good white head and lacing.
S: Lemon, aspartame, and yeasty bread.
T: Bread, aspartame, weird lemon with zest.
M: Moderate body and frothy.
O: ...OK, why does this have a B+ rating? This is definitely a below-average representative of the style.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Just a little on the tasteless side.

2.51/5  rDev -33.6%

12.oz. bottle. Has a cloudy, straw color with a decent head. Reeks of a spiced up polish sausage.Has a tangy, tart, sour lemon and clove-spice flavor.Light bodied. I've tried this brew a few times and still can't get past the extreme sour, tart flavor here.

Hoegaarden Original White Ale from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden