Join our email list →

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden
Belgium | website

Witbier | 4.90% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,705 | Hads: 4,865
4.06/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Wow, another nice rocky wheat beer head that stuck around for the duration. The label mentions coriander and orange peel, which are definitely noticeable along with other aromatics which I'm not sophisticated enough to identify. :-) Very enigmatic color...not even translucent. Easy to drink, reasonable ABV...definitely "sessionable."

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz brown bottle with pry-off cap. Freshness date located on label.

Pours a cloudy, very pale yellow. Hazy from the unfiltered yeast. Forms a fluffy, off-white head, decent retention. Not much lace going on here, but it's appropriate.

Smells of light sweet spice, some sourness from the yeast, and sometimes you can pick up some hints of banana. Not very aromatic, but for what you can detect, it smells good.

Notes of sweet and sour in the taste. The sourness coming from the yeast, but it's not "sour" in terms you normally think. Taste of mild spiciness, some hints of lemon zest and banana. Light citrusy hop taste, with some faint bitterness coming through in the end.

This brew is mild and easy to drink, as are most witbiers. Mouthfeel isn't thin, as some people might suspect, but isn't thick; it falls somewhere in the middle, and is somewhat chewy. Good amount of carbonation; would call it crisp but not a sharp crisp.

Notes: A great witbier that's easy to drink, and pretty delicious if you enjoy the style. The only drawback is that it cost a little more than it should. I also hear that if you drink it in Belgium that it has more of a flavor kick that in does here. I guess it loses a little something on the plane ride over here. Nonetheless it's an enjoyable witbier.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Pours ultra pale cloudy with a foamy pillowy head. Swirl the lees to get the full affect.

S - Phrenolic lemon apricot

T - Full wit flavor, very classic orange/lemon corriander

M - Could be a little more chewey for a wit, but I'm happy with it.

D - Gives up a fullness for a beer, typical for its style. I wouldn't want to drink a bunch of them, but I love busting out the Hoegaarden when I want to fulfill that wit need.

As far as I'm concerned, this is classic wit. Sure, there are better, but Hoegaarden has its place and its a gateway beer for Belgians, especially with the ladies. My go-to witbier.

2.16/5  rDev -43.8%

After reading the other reviews I see Im in the minority NOT A FAN! Had seen this beer around forever finally gave it a try seeing as its on the list in my beer club all I can say is it was a challenge to drink the whole glass! Was my first and can say last!
Its appearance was unimpressive.
The taste was just bad & left unplesent taste in mouth.
The smell was the nicest thing I can say about this beer and even that didnt jump out at me!

3.79/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

This is a very light straw colored ale that has a slight haze to it. When poured there is a very fluffy one and a half finger head with very nice lacing.

The smell is a very light coriander lemon combination with a bit of sweet orange

The taste is a very crisp wheat flavor. I've heard some say they think it has a banana flavor to it but I believe there is a more citrus flavor to this beer.

This light thin beer is very drinkable but has a very high level of carbonation that make you sip it.

I've had this in bottles and on tap and would highly recommend it.

4.62/5  rDev +20.3%

This blanche beer has cloudy pale yellow color with a weak white head that produces decent lace. The aroma is of citrus and is rather strong. The taste is similar with a lemon flavor standing out among the citrus. The mouth feel is crisp and light, very easy to drink. This has been a favorite of mine for 3-4 years now and will remain as so for some time.

3.52/5  rDev -8.3%

Served on tap in one of those giant hoegaarden glasses. In this glasswear the beer looks great! There is something nice about holding a huge glass of beer in one's hands. Unfortunately the custom glasses are mostly glass and only contain 500 mL of actual beer. The beer looks average in regular glasswear, decent head retention nice pale colour, but nothing special.
The real strength of the beer is its mouthfeel. This beer seems to dance on your toungue. The taste is of citrus and spice and is interesting. Would I have another? Probably one, but this i wouldn't drink this all night.

I drank this at a "The Belgian Beer Diaspora" beer tasting hosted by the late Michael Jackson at the National Geographic. The tasting involved pairing a number of Belgian beer styles with a Belgian and American interpretation of the style.

These are my tasting notes:
White color. Nice spicy flavor. The spiciness fades as you drink leaving a crisp wheat flavor.

3.67/5  rDev -4.4%

I got this beer in a mix pack offered my whole foods.

A- Nice translucent golden yellow beer with a light foamy white head that stuck around for a few minutes after pouring.

S- Sweet orange peal and coriander with a hint of light fruityness.

T- The orange peal and coriander really stand out in this brew along with the sweetness of the malts. The hops are completely overshadowed with only a tad astringent bite at the very end. Its right on for the style.

M- A surprising dense mouth feel with tiny bubbles of carbonation.

D- This is an easy brew to drink but the spices added to beers like this prevent me from haveing more then one or two at a time.

Notes: This is a pretty good brew but South Hamptom Double White has really been the only Witbier that I think I have ever brought more then once.

4.7/5  rDev +22.4%

Now this is one of my favorite beers of all time, crisp, clean, great taste, smooth, an all around great white beer. Now if you are into ales and stouts, this is basically the opposite end of the spectrum, along the lines of a wheat beer. It is very light in taste, and doesn't really give you that heavy feel when your done, but it does not lack in flavor at all. I prefer mine to go with an orange slice (yes I fruit the beer, and if you don't then keep drinking bud light) which really brings out the sweetness and fruitiness of the beer.

This is actually a beer that can be enjoyed by almost everyone. Even occasional beer drinkers really love the flavor, as do experienced beer drinkers looking for a smooth wheat beer. The only downside is that it is a bit pricey, normally $9-$11 for a six pack.

4.65/5  rDev +21.1%

My favorite wheat beer yet. Fantastic taste. The smell was probably not quite as good as Blue Moon but the taste was untouchable compared to any other white ales I have had. Smooth pour, and very smooth drink all and all. Price was a little high, but well worth it in the end.

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured a cloudy white/yellowish color, decent white head but unfortunatelty never really sticks around leaving no reminents. Smells of oranges, wheat, bubblegum, other citrus. Taste is light wheat and orange up front with a bit of lemony, citrus flavors also present. Mouthfeel is light and watery with prickly carbonation. Good taste, crisp, citrusy. Definitely could drink many and often.

4.29/5  rDev +11.7%

Wow! I really like this one. The label even explains how to pour it.
A - super cloudy pale yellow, short head

S - can you say herbal garden

T - everything you read so far is true...have to type it...RiCCOLA!

M - light, soda bubbles, lots of them

D - real easy to have more than one

3.31/5  rDev -13.8%

A generously heady pour: Cottony foam abounds! Looks like cloudy apple cider. I suppose the smell's true-blue to the style--MUSKY coriander notes with peppery aroma. Interesting, to say the least.

Taste is nearly identical to the smell, and Boy Howdy - what'm I to make of this complexity? It's like the Fifth Element girl when she absorbed the world's collective experience: WHAT just happened? Pepper, citrus, yeast, and clove--oh my! This is unfiltered heartiness, for sure.

The true highlight is a luxuriously creamy mouthfeel. Finish is a real sleight of hand--a stealthy and un-bitter close.

I'm being mean, but throw some brewer's yeast on a rusty boat anchor, and you're close! Truth is, Hoegaarden's is spot-on for what it is... love it or scratch your head about it.

*Scratch, scratch*

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from the bottle into a glass.

A- Light head with minimal retention, almost golden hue.

S- Like a boque of flowers with a bit of orange peel. Sweetness is evident already.

T- Very sweet, and like many beers too sweet for my taste. Objecively however, I can't put this beer down. Sweetness, coriander, and citrus notes are very bold in this whitbier.

M- Very light carbonation, almost creamy. The best attribute of this brew in my opinion.

D- I could drink this beer all night, but would likely choose not to just because of the sweetness and floral sensation. Still a good beer to enjoy on occasion however.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

This is a good beer! Not the best, but it is good, and would order it in a bar! Nice glass bottle, the actual Hoegaarden glass is very impressive! Taste is good, I am satisfied! Nice head, decent color-blurry.-- I would recommend this beer to a friend!

3.91/5  rDev +1.8%

Served very cold in 22 ounce mug. Bright yellow, and hazy in appearance, very appealing color, but poor head retention and zero lacing. Smells really interesting, even for a wit, with all the smells from a bowl of fruit loops. Taste was strangely spicy on the front end, and then refreshingly sweet and fruity on the finish. Thin in the mouth, but bubbly somehow. I was really thirsty, and this beer hit the spot. I loved it so much, I decided to brew my own version of it! Way better than the more widely available Coors version of the same style.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Had in a 75cl bottle (on numerous occasions recently):

It's easy to look for ways to mark this beer down because you kind of want to because it's so well known and common but, being totally fair and honest, it is an excellent wheat beer. The head is fluffy white, the colour is exactly what you would like to see in a wheat beer - cloudy and golden with streams of bubbles - and the smell and taste is smooth, inviting and rewarding. I imagine I could sit and drink this one after another until I fell over and enjoy every minute of it. It's a really delicious and enjoyable beer that's accessible for almost everyone. It's both an easy entry beer and a beer you'll want to return to.

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%

A- Light golden color, fairly cloudy, nice head

S- Fruity with hits of citrus and banana

T- Fits the style, nice tastes of fruits with the banana taste coming through

M- Crisp, yet smooth with a nice amount of carbonation

D- Easliy could drink many of these

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Hoegaarden in the bottle is the first beer I've ever had that I liked, and was my introduction to Belgian Style Whites and wheat beer in general.
This beer poured very nice with a cloudy color and a very thick head, and was clearly unfiltered.
The taste is very creamy and heavy wheat flavor, somewhat bitter and spicy at the first sip, but sweet and citrus flavored once I got used to it. I grew a big love for this brew after I had it on tap, which I have only found available at Fox Sports Grill.
Hoegaarden is a great beer for its flavor and experience, altho it is very heavy and I have a hard time drinking it with food or on a day when the weather is too hot or muggy.

This beer was a very unique and view changing experience for me that I will always remember as the brew that turned me into a beer drinker and I highly recoment it. It brought me into the world of beer and every new beer I taste is always compared to this one in my mind as a factor on how I like it. With the exception of Blue Moon....if a beer isnt cloudy and full of sediment like Hoegaarden is...I put it right back on the shelf.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

From my work beer trade - drank with pizza.

I will refer to this in the future as the Juicyfruit beer - it tastes like that gum to me - and I mean that in a good way. This is really good - I wish I would have traded for a couple more.

You need to try this one.

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

A light and citrusy white beer with a hefty amount of spice mainly apparent in the after taste. This beer was very easy to drink and came in a thoughtfully designed bottle and six pack holder. The bulb at the neck of the bottle helped to ensure a better pour and the top of the six pack holder provided the phonetic spelling of Hoegaarden to help with pronunciation. The attention to detail and thought put into this beer is top notch.

3.71/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from the 0,7l bottle into a pint glass.

A- Beautiful looking beer in my opinion, light yellow color, hazy with a foamy, long lasting head.

S- Strong banana aroma with some clove, very appealing.

T- Orange and lemon flavors with banana and very strong clove aftertaste. Really good except for the aftertaste, just not my cup of tea.

M- Perhaps a bit watery, but pleasant overall.

D- Extremely drinkable due to the low ABV and non-offensive taste.

Really nice beer, but nothing for everyday drinking.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Beautiful classic pale wit look on the pour.

Smell is brimming with yeast esters, bananna and clove dominate. Smell may be the best part of this beer, and are much better on tap than in bottle.

Taste is nice, clean, mildly sweet with medium fruit.

Mouthfeel is neutral, neither dry nor full. Balanced, but nothing amazing.

Drinkability is the biggest weakness, as it becomes a little heavy on the fruit and esters by the end of the pint.

3.57/5  rDev -7%

Appearance - Poured two thirds of bottle into a pint glass, swirled bottle, then finished the pour. Generated about a 1 finger head with small tight bubbles that dissipated quickly. Cloudy pale yellow appearance.

Smell - Smells of orange and coriander.

Taste - Slightly sour with light spice and citrusy hops and maybe some malt. Finish disappears quickly.

Mouthfeel - Balanced with a light body with some carbonation.

Drinkability - Easy to drink and a good light beer for the summer. A good session beer.

Hoegaarden Original White Ale from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden