Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

I enjoyed this on draft at Maewyn's in York -served chilled in a Hoegaarden glass.

The color is very hazy, cloudy golden with a thick 2 finger white cap the lace sticks ok and bead is very fine. The smell is good there is gentle wheat aroma with mild yeast esters, not forceful aromas, but not the style for that either. The feel is good, lots of creamy yeast and wheat smoothness with subtle spice and tanginess from the yeast which also works with the high carbonation level. I like how the sweetness is gentle and balanced by the spice with a semi-dry finish.

The taste is mild with some good flavors from the wheat which is cereal like -toasted and lightly sweet. There is a mild citrus tinge and hint of pepper from the yeast but overall this is flavored primarily from the wheat which has a nice fresh, clean flavor. The yeast adds to the beer without being to full to make it feel bready which I like. This is a good wit, not the best but it is an originator it has lost some footing to others in this style which I prefer like Allagash. I would not hesitate to drink this, since it is pretty widely available.

Slatetank, Jul 20, 2011

This beer smells very citrusy, and almost clean and crisp in the nose. I would almost want this beer served with a lemon wedge… or a lemon sphere. (Is that what you call it?) Anyway, this beer smells incredible. It's weird how beers smell so good and then how that can affect the flavor of the beer. The beer also looks carbonated in the glass… let's see what this brew tastes like.

Whoa! This beer punches you in the face, and that carbonation that I was talking about is still there. It's actually almost too carbonated. But it settles down as you move into the aftertaste. Speaking of the aftertaste, it sticks around. It lasts for a while actually. This beer would be a good summer beer. Hey, it's summer… makes sense, right?

The label is actually pretty cool too. Not sure what it means, but when I was sitting at the bar the lady beside me made a comment about it. (I actually used to see her all the time when I went into Kinko's. She is just a super nice lady!) Anyway, the beer is good. Not too uncommon, as most liquor stores will have it. Bottoms up people because this beer is good to the last drop.

rickyleepotts, Jul 19, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -2.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass

Appearance- cloudy dishwater color. Not a beautiful color, but intriguing. Copious amount of head which lingers for a while before dissipating to a nice crown. Light lacing.

Smells nice. Spicy and fruity. Immediately upon smelling my tastebuds begin to water. the smell reminds me of when I used to smoke clove cigarettes. Very nice.

Taste- I taste the cloves that I smelled. Very spicy and yeasty. Quite nice.

Overall- Wheat beers aren't my favorite style, but this is a nice approachable wheat. It has a great spicy taste thats a bit different from others. a decent beer. I would consider buying again.

PokerGod, Jul 17, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -1.6%

I've had this beer many times before, and is a favorite of mine in the summer, but never reviewed it until having some at Brewfest tonight. Pours a hazy yellow color with a nice finger head that fizzes to leave little lacing. Smell is wheaty, with some hints of lemon and banana. Taste is a nice mix of malts, some hops, wheat, lemon, and banana. Banana and a nice malty backbone prevail in the finish and serve to give a nice finish. Mouthfeel is light overall. This is one of my favorite witbiers, and a great summer brew.

gatorguy, Jul 16, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

bottle to chalice.

A: hazy pale straw color, thin head, sticky lacing.

S: yeast, wheat, a hint of spice.

T: sweet to start(bananna, candy sugar) then turned to a mild spice, from the yeast.

M: Nicely carbinated, prickly on the tounge. a real nice dry finish.

O: A refrshing, crisp drinking beer. the flavors a toned down quite a bit, but it has a real nice balance.

codfeast, Jul 11, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a hazy pale with a bone white, two finger head. As it dissipates it leaves a thin film of froth on the top with just a bit of lacing. Aroma is assertive on the coriander and orange with maybe a bit of lemon and wheat in the background. Flavor is tart and refreshing, orange tartness upfront, coriander mid palate, but a bit of a watery finish. Not much length. Decent medium carbonation. I know that this is supposedly the first Belgian White ale, but something tells me over the years of being bought out by larger companies it has lost something along the way and become a more watered down version of it's original self. But that's just speculation I guess.

BeerAmbassador, Jul 11, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A- Very pale yellow, hazy unfiltered yeast show how witbiers got their name.

S- Potent smell. Tons of orange/orange peel, with a lot of spice that is hard to put my finger on. Together it smells like fermented orange.

T- Tons of orange. A lot of Belgian yeast. The spice (coriander?) comes through on the finish. No real hop presence. No detectable alcohol.

M- On the light side of medium.

O- A nice, affordable and easily obtainable wit.

fsvan, Jul 10, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

Had my first Hoegaarden on tap at a PF Chang's. By far the best beer in their selection. I'd not tried Hoegaarden before, as I usually prefer the heavier maltier beers over hoppy beers, but this one was an excellent summer beer, and I was really taken with how well it went with the Chinese food, even the hot and sour soup. But the beer seemed to have a bit of sweet and sour mix itself. The first thing I did was pitch the orange slice they put in it. This isn't Corona, it doesn't need any help.

I was taken right away with how light a yellow this beer was with a very nice white head, but this is my first time trying a Witbier. It was a touch cloudy and produced a nice lace.

It was hard to get much of a read on aroma, as it was served up in a pilsner glass, but I primarily got fruit and corriander.

The taste was similar to the smell, but I got more hops at the midway point of the drink. The citrusy taste along with the spice and hops made a nice combo.

I'd always avoided the white beers, assuming the would be too light to intrigue me, but Hoegaarden opened my eyes and leaves me willing to try some more Witbiers.

jcurtis55, Jul 09, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

A - 2 finger fluffy white head on a pale banana almost white colour - huge head retention with gooey lacing which clings to the side of the glass for dear life

S - citrus orange lemon hint of banana and of course wheat malt - floral and some coriander - spectacular scent

T - similar to the scent except far more subdued although still very nice

M - creamy light bodied brew - slightly dry with medium carbonation - this is an incredibly sessionable beer

O - how have I not picked this up before??? This really is one of the best hot summer day brews on the planet - Easy drinking yet with plenty of flavor

Stocean1, Jul 08, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +7.7%

When I poured it into my glass it was a hazy pale yellow and had a frothy white head that disappeared quickly. The first thing to hit my nose was a definite sense of banana and yeast. After another sniff or two I picked up a bit of citrus. The flavor of the beer was in keeping with aroma. It had a great fruity/banana flavor, as well as a prominent yeasty/wheat taste. There was also a light citrus flavor that gave the beer crispness . Combined with a light carbonated body, I found this beer perfect for a hot summer day. I can pick up the spices used in the brewing. Overall I like this beer alot as a whitte beer. great for an afternoon outside relaxing with friends

cosmo4u, Jul 02, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured into a weizen glass. A pretty beer; pale, yet opaque, with the color ranging from yellow when held away from the light and nearly white when held to the light. The smell is modest, with the typical citrus smells. I get more lemon than orange on the nose. It tastes bland and watery to me, however. Where is the lemon I smelled? I swirled the bottle as directed, but I'm not getting any estery, yeasty notes.

Some breadiness and an lemon is beginning to creep as I continue to sip away, but I'm continued to be underwhelmed. This beer never wowed me, but I remember liking previous bottles in the six pack a lot more. The "best before" date is September, 2012, so freshness can't be an issue. Maybe it's just a bad bottle?

airforbes1, Jul 01, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appears yellow with a thick haze. Happily, this isn't a "see-through" beer. A thick foamy head rests down to a half finger airy head.

Smells of clove with a tiny touch of sweet citrus.

Taste is delicious. Bananas, clove, coriander and a little sweet orange. A little light breadiness to it as well. Yeast works well here.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Light yet flavor-packed. The kittle engine that could.

I usually deal in super strong hop bombers but this beer, for it's genre, is really nice. It almost invites itself over to you next BBQ and jumps into your cooler. "Drink me! It's 97 degrees outside and I'm refreshing!"

Yagman3000, Jun 30, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass 6/29/11

A cloudy very light pale straw yellow with plenty of bubbles of all sizes floating up to a finger of short lived bone white head that leaves no lace

S lemon with a little banana and spice

T what I smell but with dry cereal and a little bubblegum and slightly peppery

M light fluffy and very refreshing, this beer is the perfect summer chugger

O an industry stranded for the Wit beer, a classic that is one of the better mass produced widely available summer beers out there

if this beer was at domestic prices here in Alberta I'd drink more of it, but at 15+$ a 6er its pricy compared to some Canadian summer offerings

wordemupg, Jun 29, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured on-tap and served in a vase, the beer is a bright, vibrant yellow color with a ton of bubbles and a thin, white, foamy head. Toasty oat aromas, both mild and smooth. The beer was served ice cold, so I had to let it warm up a bit before delving too far into it. The flavor reveals bready and spicy characters, with a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon. Smooth, creamy banana aftertaste, with a finish of crisp and bubbly banana creme. Light and easy to drink.

GarthDanielson, Jun 23, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +5%

Pours a lovely, pale yellow colour; completely opaque from the haziness. Little specks of stuff are visible floating around in the liquid, in addition to the abundant streams of bubbles zipping their way to the surface, which is topped with a thick and creamy two-finger head that dies down to a cap over the next few minutes. Tons of lacing remains - now this is a good-looking beer. It smells nice too - orange/citrus zest and yeast, along with some spices; mostly coriander and cloves.

The smell is not at all misleading because most of the same notes found in the nose are also found on the tongue. The orange peel and coriander are obvious, but yeast and bready malts, wheat, and lots of general spiciness (cloves, pepper, as well as coriander) are evident. The spices combined with the relatively high carbonation level give this brew a good bite. Light to medium-bodied, leaning toward the former.

Delicious and refreshing, I don't think I would ever turn a Hoegaarden down. I have had this before and will almost definitely have it again. I don't buy this regularly, but only because a) it's expensive and b) I'm not always in the mood for spiciness in my beer... when I am in the mood for a witbier though, this is the default option.

thehyperduck, Jun 22, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Wow, this is different! My first Witbier... Looks like lemonade with a nice head that dissipates quickly. Carbonation is adequate. Smell is orange and lemon citrus. Taste is refreshing citrus...you really taste the corriander. Slightly creamy. Pleasantly refreshing, is very good with an orange slice. Great summer brew for hot weather! I would buy this one again. Glad I took my co-workers recommendation on this one!

dataskatt, Jun 22, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

A - Pours hazy yellow with a thick white foam that settles out quickly. Very cloudy and leaves some lacing in the glass.

S - Smells of citrus and spice. Has a funky bit of a musty smell the longer it settles.

T - Its well.... okay. What I don't like about Hoegaarden is the watered down taste. The citrus flavors go nice with a spicy bite at the end. But nothing tangible of wheat, malt, or hops. Would like a little more substance.

M - It is thin but the lingering spice is kinda nice.

O - If its available it is certainly worth drinking. But would like more from a belgian beer, and not my preferred witbier.

socon67, Jun 18, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

I was out at one of the local bottle shops today and decided to give this beer another whirl. I do not remember the first time I tried it, but the most memorable was at Zeno's in State College when I was handed one by Michael Jackson.

I followed the directions on the back label as to how to pour this beer and my finger of fluffy bone-white head seemed to evaporate! Color was a deeply hazy lemon-yellow, like fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. Nose had all of the attendant spiciness, referred to on the label as "a subtle hint of coriander and orange peel." Subtle like a sledgehammer between the eyes! For the uninitiated, the yeast gives it a pleasant mustiness, but the black pepper and orange zest are also prevalent on the nose. Mouthfeel seemed kind of thin and it had a nice interplay of the wheat and spices on the tongue, somewhat zesty and refreshing. Finish was semi-dry with the coriander really lingering in the back of the mouth. It was drinkable, but I am not a raving fan.

woodychandler, Jun 17, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

A- Very light straw, cloudy, almost milky in appearance. Small, maybe 1/4 inch head dissipates quickly.

S- Dominant aromas of orange and coriander are backed by a light graininess and maybe a touch of clove. Classic witbier smell, and quite good.

T- More of the same in the taste. Tart orange upfront backed by cereal grains and a crisp, wheaty twang on the finish. Aftertaste is slightly chalky with very little bitterness.

M- Light and crisp with a good dose of carbonation.

Well, it's a classic. The flavors could be a little stronger and more complex, but there's little to complain about here. It's tasty and refreshing and great for a hot summer day. If you're not looking for much more than a solid, quenching beer, then look no further. Recommended.

vtfan77, Jun 16, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

This is the first time trying this beer. I'm pretty impressed after having passed up on it many times.

It arrived with very little head, but that may have been the restaurant's way of providing value. The color is a pretty, hazy yellow. And, I smell wheat and citrus coming off the top.

I taste a mix of belgian yeast, citrus, and the wheat in each drink. This very refreshing. It works well for the summer. The body is thin, but the flavor is not.

I look forward to my next pint!

ummswimmin, Jun 12, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

This is a slightly better alternative to the Blue Moons out there trying this style. That is not to say this is at the bottom of the list of quality whitbeers.

Poured nicely, with a cloudy/unfiltered body. White head lingered long.

Smelled of bread and yeast, fruity...typical whit smells

The taste was good, not great. Fruity and banana dominated the tastes, but like Blue Moon this felt slightly watered down and subdued. Mouthfeel was crisp and smooth.

Overall an average beer. Not horrible, I'd drink it again if no better options are available...but nothing to write home about. Typical, if underachieving, whit beer.

Northsider, Jun 10, 2011

A: A light cloudy yellow with a 2 finger head which fades slowly to a thin film, leaving no lacing.

S: Bananas, orange and spice, clove standard wit.

T: Banana and other fruits and spice and yeast.

M: Light and refreshing.

D: This is a beer with a lot of flavor and a lot going on.

drowninginhops, Jun 08, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

A- A very light cloudy white/yellow with a thick 2 inch rocky head which fades slowly to a thin film, leaving no lacing.

S- Bananas, orange and spice, clove and coriander, up front with more subtle characteristics behind. Some fruity sweetness.

T- Right on point an easy drinker with subtle banana and other fruits (apricot, orange and pear) and just a bit of spice, wheat and yeast all mingling beneath.

M- Light and refreshing with a wheat graininess and moderate carbonation. Nothing overly special, but fitting.

D- This is a beer with a lot of flavor but not overly draining. Its a nice change from hoppiness to the fruitiness for a beer and is fitting for the style (not surprisingly).

Guden, Jun 04, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

Hoegaarden is a real joy to look at and to drink. It is cloudy pale in colour. The smell is sweet malt, citrus with some yeasty notes in the background. Quite a flowery taste, nectar and peppery notes with a malty sweetness. Smooth as silk aftertaste and mouthfeel. Low hop flavour. I would recommend trying it with a slice of lemon. I think it is one of the best

Rossi, Jun 02, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a hazey yellow body with a fizzy, short-lived white head.

light hints of malted wheat, lemon juice, & yeast.

Doughy wheat flavor with a subtle sweetness. Sour lemons and a bit of salt.

Light-bodied. Light, fizzy carbonation.

decent beer but the flavors are so light that it almost misses drinkable and enters into the land of bland.

haddon, Jun 01, 2011