Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

3.82/5  rDev +1.1%

pour is a cloudy yellow. like urinary tract infection. small white head that dispatches into a ring a ding ding and leaves some spitty lace clingers.

the smell carries a bit of banana. corriander is listed on the label and is definitely detectable on the nose. very crispy.

the taste is light and spritely. the crispness works well with the banana and spice. light and wit. not overly interesting.

the mouthfeel is light and dances across the palate. it works well with the flavours. this is a compact unit.

overall, this is a decent run. repeatable qualities are perhaps not abundant, but a man might as well let this dance across his face once. you only live once, pour em in. love...

1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

3.97/5  rDev +5%

Poured a cloudy white/yellowish color, decent white head but unfortunatelty never really sticks around leaving no reminents. Smells of oranges, wheat, bubblegum, other citrus. Taste is light wheat and orange up front with a bit of lemony, citrus flavors also present. Mouthfeel is light and watery with prickly carbonation. Good taste, crisp, citrusy. Definitely could drink many and often.

4.29/5  rDev +13.5%

My first Wit, and still one of my favorites due to availability! I do like seeing Hoegaarden in a Hoegaarden hexagonal glass!

Pour is cloudy light citrus. Actually looks like carbonated pineapple juice. or orange San Pellegrino. Light carbonation gives frothy head, but there isnt much to it. spotty and a ring.

The nice thing is seeing how this thing has evolved since my initial young palates taste. The nose yields yeast, but not too much. Hints of citrus and lemongrass can be found.

Taste is very clean, smooth, and light. Very light yeast, I think I like the fact that the yeast doesnt take over. Lemon peel, coriander, and yeast. The yeast leaves nice fruity phenols of clove and banana. The malt feels slightly chewy, almost like light notes of banana nut bread.

My love for this beer hasnt changed one bit! Probably the best BMC (technically BMC, but it tastes too good to be) has to offer. Benchmark for a Wit should be!

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

4.45/5  rDev +17.7%

330ml bottle poured into a 16oz goblet.

A - Pours with a distinct pale straw-yellow color with a moderate fluffy white head. Really hazy. The head recedes to a thin, soapy film that leaves small arches of lacing with each sip.

S - Smells exactly as it should. Wheat, yeast, light citrusy coriander and a touch of orange. Very simple, without much complexity, but still very good.

T - Fantastic. Balanced so well. Follow the nose with the wheat, yeast, coriander and orange rind. And honestly, not a whole lot else; but it works so well. Just a light wheat & yeast backbone with a perfect lemony-zest upfront. Maybe a touch of banana. It's just so drinkable and tasty. Aftertaste of coriander and yeast.

M - Light, nicely carbonated, and unbelievably easy to drink. The light body here compliments the flavor profile perfectly.

D - Hoegaarden was, in all likelihood, my first beer that wasn't a lager. It was also the beer that turned me onto craft beer. Although it might not be as great as it used to be in my eyes, it'll always hold a place in my heart. Nice, simple flavor, nothing off. Really easy to drink, and makes a perfect summer beer. I'm confident that no matter where my journeys through the world of beer take me, this will always remain a constant in my fridge and in my heart.

3.49/5  rDev -7.7%

The first time I ever had Hoegaarden was while the band I sang for was on tour in Europe. We were added at the last minute to a music festival in Belgium, and our compensation was all the beer we could drink at the beer tent. Luckily we played first, leaving the entire rest of the festival for us to drink and drink and drink and... you get the picture. At the time (some time in the early '00's), Hoegaarden was a revelation. I had never had a witbier before. That, coupled with the unique setting in which I first tried it, created an almost mystical aura around this beer for me. I had it again a few years later in a small pub in Oxford, England and again was quite taken with it.

Unfortunately, since those experiences my affection for Hoegaarden has steadily deteriorated. I don't know if it is due to loss of character and flavor because of the transport from Belgium to the U.S. or because I have now had several other excellent witbiers. Regardless, Hoegaarden no longer impresses me the same way. Sure, it still stands as the hallmark of the style and I'm not sure I've ever seen such a beautiful, pale white glow in any other beer... but now when I drink it the beer seems to be too watery and thin and the unique flavors seem to be far too muted. Still a good beer, but not a great one.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured this Witbier from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. It pours a hazy, yellow color- produced a decent white head. Decent retention and nice lacing left behind. The aroma is unique for a Witbier, a shot of cracked pepper and citrus lemon.The beer is light in body, mouthfeel is smooth- flavor of soft wheat, spicy pepper, and lemon zest. After some research i found that the pepper flavor originates from the yeast strain they use and the sour lemon flavor is from the hop additions. Great beer, probably the closest that youll find to the "original" of the style. Never a bad choice to fall back on. Prost!

Hoegaarden Original White Ale from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden