Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
BaltimoreMike

Maryland

4.68/5  rDev +23.5%

Now this is one of my favorite beers of all time, crisp, clean, great taste, smooth, an all around great white beer. Now if you are into ales and stouts, this is basically the opposite end of the spectrum, along the lines of a wheat beer. It is very light in taste, and doesn't really give you that heavy feel when your done, but it does not lack in flavor at all. I prefer mine to go with an orange slice (yes I fruit the beer, and if you don't then keep drinking bud light) which really brings out the sweetness and fruitiness of the beer.

This is actually a beer that can be enjoyed by almost everyone. Even occasional beer drinkers really love the flavor, as do experienced beer drinkers looking for a smooth wheat beer. The only downside is that it is a bit pricey, normally $9-$11 for a six pack.

01-23-2009 19:33:28 | More by BaltimoreMike
Hawktane

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

This is one of my favorite "light" beers. Very satisfying and a real pleasure to drink.

Pours lemony golden. Smells fruity.
Initial taste is a bit citrusy which smooths out after two sips. Refreshing and has a fine yeasty undertone to it.

Very crisp and very drinkable.

01-16-2009 23:15:28 | More by Hawktane
Bacong

4.7/5  rDev +24%

poured from bottle into pint glass

Pours a near white, golden color. Thin head (the bottle instructs that you poor 2/3rds of the bottle, and then swish the remaning to create the head)

Still not much of a head if directions are followed...but that's not important. What is important, is the excellent taste! Tastes unabashedly citrusy. Invitingly delicious, almost to the point of it not tasting like alcohol. Drinkability is the main factor here -- you can down a bunch of these, not get too drunk, and still have great tasting beer.

Very delicious beer, one of the best tasting ones I have had. Definite session beer, and relatively easy to find, at least around here. I've even seen it at walmart, which suprised me.

Anyway, great beer.

REVIEW EDIT - I don't know what the problem was, but ever since this review I get monstrous heads on my Hoegaardens.

01-14-2009 23:09:50 | More by Bacong
maskaggs

Indiana

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

It's got a straw-coloured and cloudy appearance, with a decent head on it. It smells nice and hoppy on the nose, but that's about it. I dove right into the first sip.

The Hoegaarden has a nice mouthfeel - bubbly, but not overly so, and not too heavy. I liken it to a heavy champagne feel. It was sweet on the swallow, and the aftertaste was the same until about a minute later when it turned bitter. I caught a distinct flavour of fruit, although it wasn't orange I have to admit. After the sip, the head dissipated to about 1/8 inch.

Here's the kicker: the flavour didn't change after that first sip. I didn't find any improvement or backsliding, and even the head stayed about the same. I took about 20 minutes to drink this beer, and throughout the experience I didn't find any development. This would be fine if Hoegaarden was outstanding, but I don't think it is. I was slightly disappointed - I had hoped it would develop more through the session. This may be an issue of white beers and my own taste, but I finished the beer without being too impressed. I expected more out of it, to be honest. I can only rate it as average for its lack of outright flaws. It's fine if you're going to have a few with friends who don't like anything heavier or more flavourful, but it's nothing to get too excited over.

01-14-2009 06:20:28 | More by maskaggs
nrpellegrini

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Pourss a cloudy pale yellow color with a nice white head that stays for a bit. Smells of sweet lemon citrus. Tastes like lemons and oranges with a nice creamy wheat flavor. Mouthfeel is nice, so smooth with some carbonation. Drinkability is great, I just want more.

The price and availability of this beer make it that much better.

01-11-2009 23:08:35 | More by nrpellegrini
ATPete

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

11.2oz bottle

Pours a slightly hazy, lemon-water yellow color with a booming pure white head. Soft, citrusy wheat character in the nose, soft, with hints of mint and hop bitterness. Bright to the tongue, lots of husky grain, clean wheat, and lime peel, doughy yeast and a fruity twang upon the finish. The only thing truly lacking here in flavor is its aftertaste, burnt and stale, musky and it stays with you for what seems like forever. Light in body, crisp enough, definitely refreshing. I've had many better witbier but a Hoe-y still remains drinkable IMO.

01-11-2009 22:02:00 | More by ATPete
gpogo

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Slightly hazed(starch haze?) with huge white head. Very lively carbonation. Upon closer examination there is a bit of particulate mass floating around, possibly yeast.

A- Very light aroma. Hints of coriander and a belgian yeastiness. Light sweetness. Very light citrus fruit.

T- Coriander taste throughout. Very light notes of citrus fruits. Very soft malty taste. Slightly dry tart finish.

M- Medium body with moderate-high carbonation. Quite crisp and refreshing.

D- A great representative of the Wit style. I felt it was a little heavy on the coriander and light on all other components. However I would gladly drink this beer almost anytime.

01-10-2009 19:51:54 | More by gpogo
cpn920

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured a pale straw color that was milky with a big impressive head. Head dissipated quickly. Definitely smelled of orange and wheat. Tasted similar to the smell with a nice dry finish. Beer was nicely balanced. This is a nice refreshing beer that would be a nice summer refresher.

01-10-2009 15:54:45 | More by cpn920
Proteus93

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Rather pale yellow with some slight olive notes to the hue. A white head, as I would expect, rather creamy and rich, but retention is somewhat poor. Leaves a spotty lacing behind, but nothing too extraordinary.

S: The standard scent of breakfast cereal stands out... Fruit Loops is the smell, I believe, on this one. The grainy, all-in-one fruitiness that comes from the box in general with no real focus on any particular 'Loop'

T: Flavour is not so strong on the 'breakfast cereal' front, which is kinda fortunate. A definite citrus note stands out, but a bit of it is a dry citrus note, which is alright. A soft maltiness backs it up.

M + D: It's crisp, but not overdone. Dry, but not 'parching.' A decent body, but the flavour profiles are just not quite there. This beer has plenty of potential to be something very great... I hope to see that happen!

01-10-2009 05:18:37 | More by Proteus93
CityBoy1986

Mississippi

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

The pour is a very pale yellow with a nice head. The head recedes into a sheet and leaves a little lacing.

The nose is mostly wheat and citrus notes, with spices in the background. The taste is more of the same, with a hoppy bitterness throughout, but some sweetness .

The mouthfeel is light (not quite as like as water) with a nice amount of carbonation. Drinkability is high; I could drink these all night.

01-09-2009 06:04:04 | More by CityBoy1986
cnjohn19

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Really enjoyed the natural cloudiness of this beer...probably the most i have enjoyed pouring a beer in a while (if ever)...perfect head which stayed built during the entire taste and great light color...

S - Good but not great...small hint of what appears to be an orange peel...would've liked more...

T - Distinct barley taste with a prominent wheat feel...prominent aftertaste which took a while to get accustomed to...

M - I highly suggest taking an above average sip and let this beer travel through your palate...perfect carbonation which grew in my mouth...

D - You could really enjoy this beer on a hot day...actually, several of these beers...

01-08-2009 00:31:38 | More by cnjohn19
rtratzlaff

4.58/5  rDev +20.8%

Hoegarden pours a cloudy light skin toned beer with a solid white two finger head. I got all the yeast in. The aroma is clean and crisp lemon, coriander, and yeasty goodness.

The taste is a really clean lemon/coriander and spice flavor with a yeasty quality.

The mouthfeel is light and crisp. This is an easy drinking beer and a quaffable one as well!

This beer is easy to find, easy to drink, and easy on the liver! A world better than Blue Moon.

01-06-2009 21:46:51 | More by rtratzlaff
Minkybut

2.83/5  rDev -25.3%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was very white and the beer was very cloudy. The beer poured a really fluffy big white head that looked delicious. The smell was very breadt very yeasty and was favorable. However the taste was just not good for me. Certainly wheat beers are not my favorite, but if you like a slightly sour tasting beer you might like ot. I will not buy again.

01-06-2009 17:14:38 | More by Minkybut
BigJim5021

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a very pale straw with a bubbly white head that settles into a persistent ring. Slight lacing.

The smell is of ever-familiar Belgian brewing yeast. I feel I've used the words "spicy" and "fruity" in a lot of reviews as of late, but there really isn't any other way to describe a lot of Belgian beers (or Bavarian weizens).

Flavor is just as pleasant as the smell. Nicely balanced spices mix with juicy citrus fruit. Good stuff. Not earth-shattering, but good nonetheless.

Mouthfeel and carbonation are spot-on for the style. Slightly prickly.

Drinkability is about as high as it gets. I wouldn't have a problem downing 4-5 pints of Hoegaarden on a given evening. This is one easy pleaser of a beer.

01-06-2009 06:48:40 | More by BigJim5021
cottonkoozie

4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

A - Good head, decent retention, no real lacing but i think thats due to the head being pretty slick. Not as cloudy as i expected.

S - Sweet yeasty smell, typical of the style. Pretty good complexity of spices.

T - Good complexity. Good witbier. Good balance of different spices.

M - Clean feel, good carbonation level.

D - Good drinkability, goes down smooth.

Good witbier, and available almost everywhere. One of the best beers you can buy at wal-mart or almost any grocery store.

01-06-2009 03:11:47 | More by cottonkoozie
nd5282

3.4/5  rDev -10.3%

A light and citrusy white beer with a hefty amount of spice mainly apparent in the after taste. This beer was very easy to drink and came in a thoughtfully designed bottle and six pack holder. The bulb at the neck of the bottle helped to ensure a better pour and the top of the six pack holder provided the phonetic spelling of Hoegaarden to help with pronunciation. The attention to detail and thought put into this beer is top notch.

01-05-2009 21:42:10 | More by nd5282
nothingxs

4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

Bought this at a local Publix in Miami in my quest to find beer I'll like, since I'm new to it in general -- but boy did I pick right.

A: Was headier than my first beer, about almost half an inch (1cm?) or so of foam that settled quick. Pale, golden and hazy. Little bits of yeast floating about. A bit bubbly.

S: Smelled a bit fruity, very light. Like orange, maybe? I'm bad at smelling things.

T: My untrained palate didn't detect much of a wheaty taste in this one (I noticed one in Shock Top, in comparison); however, there was a light citrusy taste that I could feel in my entire time drinking it. Very refreshing and enjoyable.

MF: I'll be honest -- the first few times I had it (this rating is for my third, one every other day this week), it was a little bitter. But now it starts off just slightly bitter and smooths out quickly. Good amount of carbonation in the beer, not as much as the only others I've had. Surprisingly light to me considering what I've had before.

D: At first it wasn't much for me, but now that I've had a few more and let things grow on me, I've established it's fantastic. Tasty, smooth, I'd have a few of these in one sitting.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, since this is literally my official "third" beer (not counting whatever I had when I lived in Mexico) since I've been searching for something I'd like. I'd definitely buy this again, and I plan on bringing it whenever someone asks me to bring drinks to a getty again.

01-03-2009 10:09:11 | More by nothingxs
cvaypai

Wisconsin

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass.

A - A really thin head, only about a 1/4 of an inch that disappeared very quickly. Beautiful hazy yellow color, small particles of yeast floating throughout.

S - Smells of wheat and citrus fill my nose with this beer, pretty pleasent.

T - One of the greatest parts of this beer, very tasty and very wheaty, love the aftertaste.

M - This bottle didn't seem to have too much carbonation since I didn't get much head but it seems very carbonated when in the mouth, interesting, but still enjoyable.

D - Pretty good drinkability, I could enjoy a six pack in one sitting, really good taste and not too heavy.

Still one of the better belgian witbiers.

01-02-2009 22:41:46 | More by cvaypai
angelmonster

Colorado

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice white inch head, looks similar to a cloudy, highly carbonated lemonade in color

Smells sweet, fruity, some banana and citrus. Usual wheat beer smells with some spice, not much coming through on the hop or malt side.

First taste is of light malts with some spice, clove or allspice. Pretty much typical witbier taste. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Mouth feel is light and smooth , slightly watery. Not too over carbonated, Easy on the palette

Beer is very session able , easy to drink. Not my favorite witbier but love the style so would drink again.

12-31-2008 20:42:57 | More by angelmonster
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into my New Belgium Globe Glass. Best before 6-12-09.

Color is a really hazy dull yellow. Thin white head that fizzles down quickly. Little lace observed.

Smell is very fruit. Main smell is bananas. Taste is similiar, but there is more of a hoppy taste involved.

Mouthfeel isn't very pleasent. Starts out bitter and then eventually ends smooth after a while.

Overall, it is a decent brew for something so popular. I could probably enjoy this at a bar or have this for a session beer.

12-24-2008 08:15:10 | More by mothman
rxdrewthejew

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Got this in a "Best of Belgium" pack for Hanukkah. I'm not convinced that Hoegaarden, Stella and Leffe really qualify as best of Belgium, but still, can't complain about beer as a gift.

A: Typical somewhat hazy yellowish white with a fluffy two finger white head that fades to a decent film with monster lacing. Plenty of small bubbles rising from the bottom.

S: A bit of crisp wheat a malt is quickly overpowered by a big hit of coriander, cloves and citrus peel. Smell is spicy and sweet overall.

T: Clean malt/wheat bill...the spices are more subdued in the taste than the smell, but pretty much the same idea. Maybe a bit more orange peel in the flavor. Nothing overpowering.

MF: Thin and perhaps a bit watery. Quite bubbly, but a good level of carbonation for this style. A touch of warming but really not much to speak of.

D: Good drinkability, the flavor is nothing out of the world but it's solid. Tastes fine without adding any oranges, which makes it better than Blue Moon at any rate. Still, with all the other good Wit's out there, probably not something I would seek out.

12-24-2008 01:23:31 | More by rxdrewthejew
hoplover82

2.83/5  rDev -25.3%

I had this one at a homebrew meeting. He asked me if I wanted to try it and I said sure.

I remember it was a light yellow color with a fluffy white head. Some lace.

Aroma of funky spice and yeast.

Flavor is the same as above. Some little hop bitterness.

Light bodied.

It's just not my style I guess. I really didn't like it. But others might. I don't think i like coriander and orange peel in beer. In food sure but beer, no. Don't think I had a wit beer I liked... yet.

12-22-2008 17:57:23 | More by hoplover82
SmokeMonkey

Kentucky

4.58/5  rDev +20.8%

i love this beer. the only complaint i have about this beer is the price.

it smelled nice when it was in the bottle and smelled great after i poured it. it smelled crisp, kind of acidic, a hint of citrus, a smidge of yeast.

it looked good and a smidge darker than i was expecting, it gave me the appearance of having more substance than other wits ive had (blue moon and sunset wheat). nice and cloudy, i swirled to get the yeast out of the bottom of the bottle and made the beer a little darker. head was small and disappeared pretty quick.

the taste reflected the look and smell, kind of citrusy, crisp, hoppiness was very low IMO. a smidgen of acidity which i really like. not sure i really tasted any spice, if i do its VERY subtle. alcohol didnt seem to stand out much at all to be honest, its stealthy. not as yeasty as i was expecting. the sediment didnt seem gritty on the palate either, a plus for me.

mouthfeel was good, didnt seem watery at all. carbonation was very good, not too much and not too little either, no CO bite but did fizz on the tongue. aftertaste was virtually non existent.

i could drink this all day long every day if it were not for the cost. its very drinkable.

it costs too much to be an every day beer but it is a very good beer and im glad i bought it. i'd buy this again and probably will in the future.

12-22-2008 03:43:40 | More by SmokeMonkey
prosper

Alberta (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

Somewhat cloudy. Good head.

Smells of nothing in particular. Slightly zest/acidic aroma.

Tastes primarily of a well attenuated wheat flavour. Some pungent spice, probably the customary corriander/orange, but it's quite subdued. Overall clean and crisp, slightly tangy/tart/acidic.

Mouthfeel is on the light side for a wheat beer, but fuller than your average light lager.

It's very refreshing and crisp. high drinkeablility, but overall there's nothing I find outstanding about this beer (for better or worse.)

I do plan on trying it again, however

12-20-2008 09:05:25 | More by prosper
BedetheVenerable

Missouri

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

Presentation: 11.2oz brown bottle, best before August of '09.

Appearance: Pours a light cloudy straw color, with a moderate stark white cap which sticks around for a bit. Tiny bits of yeast in suspension.

Smell: Citrusy, quite fruity, and a little tart, with nice coriander notes as well.

Taste: Lemony tartness combined with a mild sweetness and spice and Belgian yeast. Almost a hint of bubblegum in there as well, which kind of surprised me. Much drier and more tart than Blue Moon or a lot of the American takes on the style.

Mouthfeel: Quite crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability: I could put this away all night.

Conclusion: Simple flavors of citrus and spice coupled with great drinkability; this would make one supremely refreshing warm-weather beer.

12-15-2008 02:52:51 | More by BedetheVenerable