Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
callmescraps

3.6/5  rDev -5%

A blast from the past.

Appearance - Actually straw colored. In the way that straw has some almost greenish characteristics. Not much head on this one. Very pleasant lacing.

Smell - An explosion. Tons of spice going on. Some funky yeast action, but mostly a floral spice with a hint of candy. Just a ton going on. Very Belgian for sure.

Taste - Tart citrus. Almost lemon. Then some real funk. Lots of those spice notes as well. Pretty sweet overall. Almost like cloves, sort of peppery as well. Pretty well balanced, but missing a little something.

Mouthfeel - Very nice carbonation. Very crisp and smooth. I love the way this dances on my tongue.

Drinkability - A little sweet to have too many. One is just enough, thanks.

This was one of those eye-opening beers back in high school. It was probably the first bev that made me realize there was a whole world of potential out there. That said, I can't imagine how I used to down sixers of this.

02-07-2009 06:02:35 | More by callmescraps

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Pours a beautiful pale yellow body with little carbonation. The head is thick, two inches about, white and fluffy. The head fades to a nice lace minutes after being poured.

S - Wheat, citrus zest with a nice smell of coriander and bubble gum (something sweet.)

T - This is the beer is almost like a hefewiezen if you ask me. The coriander, zesty sweetness, which I believe is orange and a nice wheat finish.

M - Zesty, coriander with a nice hint of orange that fades to a pretty smooth wheat finish.

D - This is a real smooth beer with good flavor. I could have a few of these in a sitting.

02-06-2009 01:55:59 | More by Wisconsin
Gambrinus1184

Connecticut

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a Saranac pint glass.

A: Pours a very light and cloudy lemon yellow color with a two-finger head of white foam. Looks like a glass of Country Time with a head on it.

S: Smells zesty and peppery with sweet lemon-citrus aromas leaping out of it.

T: Taste is sweet and mild at first before turning mildly fruity, acidic and spicy. There's kind of a solvent flavor to this witbier, and it's balance of zesty hop with mild malts makes it decidedly Belgian to me. The grandfather of all witbiers.

M: Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with a sharp and aggressive hop spiciness.

D: With a modest ABV and a formula tested by time, Hoegaarden is considered to be the ultimate Belgian wit. That said, I do find some American versions to be a bit more palatable and complex, boasted heartier malts and smoother balances of spiciness.

Wish I had my hexagonal glass with me for this one. Hoegaarden is a great witbier and a must have for the wit-purist. It's not my all time favorite white, but it's a classic.

02-05-2009 22:08:58 | More by Gambrinus1184
EnojysAnyBeer

Colorado

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Beautiful yellow/blonde colored, hazy, translucent body. Decent head with decent lace.

S- Like sticking my nose into potpourrie, or a bouquet of flowers. Very Belgian smelling with candy-like malt and funky yeast notes

T- Taste is very light and balanced with spices and mellow hops balancing out the sugary sweet malt flavors

M- Light and sparkly

D- Quenches thirst and goes well with poultry and fish

02-03-2009 03:11:43 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
Reagan1984

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%

Enjoyed a couple glasses last night. Traditionally this is a style that I would not enjoy. Over the past year I've learned top enjoy the light, spicy nature and the yeast like flavor... (at least I perceive it that way)

The beer was served in the classic Hoegaarden glass. No head at all... Cloudy light yellow in color.. with no lacing at all. Beer was too cloudy to detect visible carbonation.

Aroma was of clove, lemon, a bit earthy.. yeast like and some light fruit.

Flavor was coriander, light citrus..(lemon) slight white pepper, subtle sweetness and other fruits.. slight earthy/sour flavor from the yeast... obviously a Belgian flavor comes from the yeast used. I can see why this is popular in the summer. Of course, I'm drinking it on a January night.. Quite crisp and refreshing. Slightly tart/sour... but not too much...

Mouth feel is decidedly light bodied and delicate. Total summer session beer.

Very drinkable... I turned down the slice of fruit... Ugh...

I certainly appreciate this more now than I would have a year plus ago..

Not too bad.... Still not a favorite of mine.

02-01-2009 15:24:41 | More by Reagan1984
ruckus232

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2 Ounce brown bottle

Appearance: Cloudy pale yellow color with a good amount of frothy head

Smell: Fruity, more specifically lemon, with a hint of spice

Taste: Pleasantly sweet taste with little bitterness. Not as strong of a spice taste as is present in some whites but just enough to taste really good.

Comments: Very good tasting beer that is not too strong with the spices and is very smooth to drink.

01-31-2009 00:59:40 | More by ruckus232
IRONRakkasan

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

Maybe I read the read the beer list wrong, or it was typed wrong, but I was expecting a thick cloudy wheat beer. Instead I was surprised by a bright yellow semi-cloudy beer put in front of me.

The head was thick and kept its presence throughout.

I did not expect the tart and slight sourness of lemon, but despite how unexpected it was, I was pleasantly surprised. I could also detect a hint of nutmeg as well.

It was smooth as I expected, and was quite drinkable. I might not have it again, but I recommend you try it.

01-29-2009 05:19:03 | More by IRONRakkasan
HeroJH

Colorado

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a great standard example of a Witbier, though my favorite (that I've had so far) is probably Blanche De Chambly by Unibroue. Worth a try if you've never had this style. A great beer for someone that's never had a belgian and I think it's a beer that women new to beer really like. Does that sound tacky? Heh.

A - Hazy light yellow/gold, white head. Unfiltered.

S - It says on the bottle that it has Coriander and Orange peel. Yes definitely you can smell that. It smells light and refreshing. A hint of yeast. Banana/pineapple juice.

T - Refreshing, sweet and flavorful. Mostly of the spice it seems, a touch of orange zest. A little tart at the end.

M - tart and dry. Clean and light.

D - tough one for me. Sometimes I like it sometimes I don't. If I'm in the mood for it I can have a few.

01-28-2009 21:14:49 | More by HeroJH
wescj

Tennessee

3.98/5  rDev +5%

330ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

Bright golden yellow in color with some haziness and about an inch of fluffy white head. Not much retention or lace.

Aroma isn't very bold, but the coriander and orange peel still make it through.

Coriander and orange peel are still prominent in the taste, along with some spiciness. Very refreshing taste, but not altogether exciting.

Mouthfeel is carbonated and tart. Clearly, very drinkable.

01-28-2009 01:36:12 | More by wescj
Duhast500

Rhode Island

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is light yellow, a bit hazy, and has a white foamy.

The smell is a bit citrus with hints of orange and lemon. Good ammount of hops as well

The taste is crisp with hints of fruits, oranges and others. Slight hints of hops and is a small bit bitter.

This truely is my favorite white beer. It is one of the few white beers that I have had so far but it is the best. It's real good with guinnness as well.

01-27-2009 22:09:17 | More by Duhast500
CMW

Missouri

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

The beer has a pale yellow, cloudy appearance which you would expect from an unfiltered brew. There is a slight separation of color which is pleasing to the eyes. The beer had a slightly darker appearance at the bottom of the glass that became brighter as you moved toward the top. It has a medium level of carbonation and a bright white head of about an inch.

The aroma of Hoegaarden is quite strong. There is a distinctive smell of citrus which reminds me of lemon or orange peels. I also pick up spices, probably from the coriander and maybe pepper?

There is a definite kick of fruit in the taste. Now I can distinguish the orange peel. Hoegaarden gives you that acidity that I had expected with the citrus flavor. This is a balanced brew as with the sweetness of the fruit I am also catching some sourness as well. I also can feel the carbonation as it hits my mouth. It is a light-bodied beer that finishes dry with a slight bitterness in the aftertaste.

01-27-2009 19:42:39 | More by CMW
Chugmonkey

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Light straw color, quite cloudy, looks like lemonade with a nice white head.

Extremely citrusy aroma and taste, very lemony and quite tart. Would be very refreshing on a hot day.

Very light and refreshing. Was just what I needed after getting my butt kicked by a harsh Bourbon Stout.

A little too citrusy & overly lemony to the point that I'd tire of it after a couple, but a very nice light refreshing beer.

01-26-2009 21:59:58 | More by Chugmonkey
pooneej

Nebraska

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

An ok beer - I needed to wean off of miller lite/those kinds of beers so I started trying out mid and high end beers. This one leaves a kind of nasty aftertaste though.. Good taste, what a better beer tastes like but it leaves that aftertaste behind that isnt very attractive. Maybe its just me though..

01-25-2009 22:22:27 | More by pooneej
cdkrenz

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Clear, pineapple juice looking pour. The top is pure white and standing at two inches. The head fades slowly to a nice thin froth. The pale hazy body looks to have allot of fast rising carbonation.

S - Light and airy mild malt.

T - Very tasty wheat with a hint of banana.

M - Smooth and light to start. As it moves toward a finish it covers my tongue with a coarse abrasion allowing the flavors to fill.

~ I think I could ease back into a comfy chair and suck back a six pack of the Belgians, no problem. Thanks Krista.

01-25-2009 00:00:17 | More by cdkrenz
washburnkid

4.38/5  rDev +15.6%

I find very little wrong with this beer. I can have it all the time, every day...but I won't. This beer pours well on tap (and with an orange slice, if that's your thing) at Burgers and Brew in Davis, CA. The following is from my notes on a bottle.

Cloudy, unfiltered, golden-yellow appearance with a bit of white foam. Refreshing aromas of citrus and coriander. The taste is momentary sweetness balanced with the dark spice of coriander, wheat and citrus. Heavy carbonation but not enough to mask the spices. Hoegaarden's flavor and refreshing qualities make this beer so drinkable that I can never, ever stop after one. I look forward to someday tasting it in Belgium.

01-24-2009 00:05:17 | More by washburnkid
BaltimoreMike

Maryland

4.68/5  rDev +23.5%

Now this is one of my favorite beers of all time, crisp, clean, great taste, smooth, an all around great white beer. Now if you are into ales and stouts, this is basically the opposite end of the spectrum, along the lines of a wheat beer. It is very light in taste, and doesn't really give you that heavy feel when your done, but it does not lack in flavor at all. I prefer mine to go with an orange slice (yes I fruit the beer, and if you don't then keep drinking bud light) which really brings out the sweetness and fruitiness of the beer.

This is actually a beer that can be enjoyed by almost everyone. Even occasional beer drinkers really love the flavor, as do experienced beer drinkers looking for a smooth wheat beer. The only downside is that it is a bit pricey, normally $9-$11 for a six pack.

01-23-2009 19:33:28 | More by BaltimoreMike
Hawktane

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

This is one of my favorite "light" beers. Very satisfying and a real pleasure to drink.

Pours lemony golden. Smells fruity.
Initial taste is a bit citrusy which smooths out after two sips. Refreshing and has a fine yeasty undertone to it.

Very crisp and very drinkable.

01-16-2009 23:15:28 | More by Hawktane
Bacong

4.7/5  rDev +24%

poured from bottle into pint glass

Pours a near white, golden color. Thin head (the bottle instructs that you poor 2/3rds of the bottle, and then swish the remaning to create the head)

Still not much of a head if directions are followed...but that's not important. What is important, is the excellent taste! Tastes unabashedly citrusy. Invitingly delicious, almost to the point of it not tasting like alcohol. Drinkability is the main factor here -- you can down a bunch of these, not get too drunk, and still have great tasting beer.

Very delicious beer, one of the best tasting ones I have had. Definite session beer, and relatively easy to find, at least around here. I've even seen it at walmart, which suprised me.

Anyway, great beer.

REVIEW EDIT - I don't know what the problem was, but ever since this review I get monstrous heads on my Hoegaardens.

01-14-2009 23:09:50 | More by Bacong
maskaggs

Indiana

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

It's got a straw-coloured and cloudy appearance, with a decent head on it. It smells nice and hoppy on the nose, but that's about it. I dove right into the first sip.

The Hoegaarden has a nice mouthfeel - bubbly, but not overly so, and not too heavy. I liken it to a heavy champagne feel. It was sweet on the swallow, and the aftertaste was the same until about a minute later when it turned bitter. I caught a distinct flavour of fruit, although it wasn't orange I have to admit. After the sip, the head dissipated to about 1/8 inch.

Here's the kicker: the flavour didn't change after that first sip. I didn't find any improvement or backsliding, and even the head stayed about the same. I took about 20 minutes to drink this beer, and throughout the experience I didn't find any development. This would be fine if Hoegaarden was outstanding, but I don't think it is. I was slightly disappointed - I had hoped it would develop more through the session. This may be an issue of white beers and my own taste, but I finished the beer without being too impressed. I expected more out of it, to be honest. I can only rate it as average for its lack of outright flaws. It's fine if you're going to have a few with friends who don't like anything heavier or more flavourful, but it's nothing to get too excited over.

01-14-2009 06:20:28 | More by maskaggs
nrpellegrini

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Pourss a cloudy pale yellow color with a nice white head that stays for a bit. Smells of sweet lemon citrus. Tastes like lemons and oranges with a nice creamy wheat flavor. Mouthfeel is nice, so smooth with some carbonation. Drinkability is great, I just want more.

The price and availability of this beer make it that much better.

01-11-2009 23:08:35 | More by nrpellegrini
ATPete

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

11.2oz bottle

Pours a slightly hazy, lemon-water yellow color with a booming pure white head. Soft, citrusy wheat character in the nose, soft, with hints of mint and hop bitterness. Bright to the tongue, lots of husky grain, clean wheat, and lime peel, doughy yeast and a fruity twang upon the finish. The only thing truly lacking here in flavor is its aftertaste, burnt and stale, musky and it stays with you for what seems like forever. Light in body, crisp enough, definitely refreshing. I've had many better witbier but a Hoe-y still remains drinkable IMO.

01-11-2009 22:02:00 | More by ATPete
gpogo

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Slightly hazed(starch haze?) with huge white head. Very lively carbonation. Upon closer examination there is a bit of particulate mass floating around, possibly yeast.

A- Very light aroma. Hints of coriander and a belgian yeastiness. Light sweetness. Very light citrus fruit.

T- Coriander taste throughout. Very light notes of citrus fruits. Very soft malty taste. Slightly dry tart finish.

M- Medium body with moderate-high carbonation. Quite crisp and refreshing.

D- A great representative of the Wit style. I felt it was a little heavy on the coriander and light on all other components. However I would gladly drink this beer almost anytime.

01-10-2009 19:51:54 | More by gpogo
cpn920

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured a pale straw color that was milky with a big impressive head. Head dissipated quickly. Definitely smelled of orange and wheat. Tasted similar to the smell with a nice dry finish. Beer was nicely balanced. This is a nice refreshing beer that would be a nice summer refresher.

01-10-2009 15:54:45 | More by cpn920
Proteus93

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Rather pale yellow with some slight olive notes to the hue. A white head, as I would expect, rather creamy and rich, but retention is somewhat poor. Leaves a spotty lacing behind, but nothing too extraordinary.

S: The standard scent of breakfast cereal stands out... Fruit Loops is the smell, I believe, on this one. The grainy, all-in-one fruitiness that comes from the box in general with no real focus on any particular 'Loop'

T: Flavour is not so strong on the 'breakfast cereal' front, which is kinda fortunate. A definite citrus note stands out, but a bit of it is a dry citrus note, which is alright. A soft maltiness backs it up.

M + D: It's crisp, but not overdone. Dry, but not 'parching.' A decent body, but the flavour profiles are just not quite there. This beer has plenty of potential to be something very great... I hope to see that happen!

01-10-2009 05:18:37 | More by Proteus93
CityBoy1986

Mississippi

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

The pour is a very pale yellow with a nice head. The head recedes into a sheet and leaves a little lacing.

The nose is mostly wheat and citrus notes, with spices in the background. The taste is more of the same, with a hoppy bitterness throughout, but some sweetness .

The mouthfeel is light (not quite as like as water) with a nice amount of carbonation. Drinkability is high; I could drink these all night.

01-09-2009 06:04:04 | More by CityBoy1986