Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

The beer has a pale yellow, cloudy appearance which you would expect from an unfiltered brew. There is a slight separation of color which is pleasing to the eyes. The beer had a slightly darker appearance at the bottom of the glass that became brighter as you moved toward the top. It has a medium level of carbonation and a bright white head of about an inch.

The aroma of Hoegaarden is quite strong. There is a distinctive smell of citrus which reminds me of lemon or orange peels. I also pick up spices, probably from the coriander and maybe pepper?

There is a definite kick of fruit in the taste. Now I can distinguish the orange peel. Hoegaarden gives you that acidity that I had expected with the citrus flavor. This is a balanced brew as with the sweetness of the fruit I am also catching some sourness as well. I also can feel the carbonation as it hits my mouth. It is a light-bodied beer that finishes dry with a slight bitterness in the aftertaste.

CMW, Jan 27, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Light straw color, quite cloudy, looks like lemonade with a nice white head.

Extremely citrusy aroma and taste, very lemony and quite tart. Would be very refreshing on a hot day.

Very light and refreshing. Was just what I needed after getting my butt kicked by a harsh Bourbon Stout.

A little too citrusy & overly lemony to the point that I'd tire of it after a couple, but a very nice light refreshing beer.

Chugmonkey, Jan 26, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

An ok beer - I needed to wean off of miller lite/those kinds of beers so I started trying out mid and high end beers. This one leaves a kind of nasty aftertaste though.. Good taste, what a better beer tastes like but it leaves that aftertaste behind that isnt very attractive. Maybe its just me though..

pooneej, Jan 25, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Clear, pineapple juice looking pour. The top is pure white and standing at two inches. The head fades slowly to a nice thin froth. The pale hazy body looks to have allot of fast rising carbonation.

S - Light and airy mild malt.

T - Very tasty wheat with a hint of banana.

M - Smooth and light to start. As it moves toward a finish it covers my tongue with a coarse abrasion allowing the flavors to fill.

~ I think I could ease back into a comfy chair and suck back a six pack of the Belgians, no problem. Thanks Krista.

cdkrenz, Jan 25, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +15.6%

I find very little wrong with this beer. I can have it all the time, every day...but I won't. This beer pours well on tap (and with an orange slice, if that's your thing) at Burgers and Brew in Davis, CA. The following is from my notes on a bottle.

Cloudy, unfiltered, golden-yellow appearance with a bit of white foam. Refreshing aromas of citrus and coriander. The taste is momentary sweetness balanced with the dark spice of coriander, wheat and citrus. Heavy carbonation but not enough to mask the spices. Hoegaarden's flavor and refreshing qualities make this beer so drinkable that I can never, ever stop after one. I look forward to someday tasting it in Belgium.

washburnkid, Jan 24, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +23.5%

Now this is one of my favorite beers of all time, crisp, clean, great taste, smooth, an all around great white beer. Now if you are into ales and stouts, this is basically the opposite end of the spectrum, along the lines of a wheat beer. It is very light in taste, and doesn't really give you that heavy feel when your done, but it does not lack in flavor at all. I prefer mine to go with an orange slice (yes I fruit the beer, and if you don't then keep drinking bud light) which really brings out the sweetness and fruitiness of the beer.

This is actually a beer that can be enjoyed by almost everyone. Even occasional beer drinkers really love the flavor, as do experienced beer drinkers looking for a smooth wheat beer. The only downside is that it is a bit pricey, normally $9-$11 for a six pack.

BaltimoreMike, Jan 23, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

This is one of my favorite "light" beers. Very satisfying and a real pleasure to drink.

Pours lemony golden. Smells fruity.
Initial taste is a bit citrusy which smooths out after two sips. Refreshing and has a fine yeasty undertone to it.

Very crisp and very drinkable.

Hawktane, Jan 16, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +24%

poured from bottle into pint glass

Pours a near white, golden color. Thin head (the bottle instructs that you poor 2/3rds of the bottle, and then swish the remaning to create the head)

Still not much of a head if directions are followed...but that's not important. What is important, is the excellent taste! Tastes unabashedly citrusy. Invitingly delicious, almost to the point of it not tasting like alcohol. Drinkability is the main factor here -- you can down a bunch of these, not get too drunk, and still have great tasting beer.

Very delicious beer, one of the best tasting ones I have had. Definite session beer, and relatively easy to find, at least around here. I've even seen it at walmart, which suprised me.

Anyway, great beer.

REVIEW EDIT - I don't know what the problem was, but ever since this review I get monstrous heads on my Hoegaardens.

Bacong, Jan 14, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

It's got a straw-coloured and cloudy appearance, with a decent head on it. It smells nice and hoppy on the nose, but that's about it. I dove right into the first sip.

The Hoegaarden has a nice mouthfeel - bubbly, but not overly so, and not too heavy. I liken it to a heavy champagne feel. It was sweet on the swallow, and the aftertaste was the same until about a minute later when it turned bitter. I caught a distinct flavour of fruit, although it wasn't orange I have to admit. After the sip, the head dissipated to about 1/8 inch.

Here's the kicker: the flavour didn't change after that first sip. I didn't find any improvement or backsliding, and even the head stayed about the same. I took about 20 minutes to drink this beer, and throughout the experience I didn't find any development. This would be fine if Hoegaarden was outstanding, but I don't think it is. I was slightly disappointed - I had hoped it would develop more through the session. This may be an issue of white beers and my own taste, but I finished the beer without being too impressed. I expected more out of it, to be honest. I can only rate it as average for its lack of outright flaws. It's fine if you're going to have a few with friends who don't like anything heavier or more flavourful, but it's nothing to get too excited over.

maskaggs, Jan 14, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Pourss a cloudy pale yellow color with a nice white head that stays for a bit. Smells of sweet lemon citrus. Tastes like lemons and oranges with a nice creamy wheat flavor. Mouthfeel is nice, so smooth with some carbonation. Drinkability is great, I just want more.

The price and availability of this beer make it that much better.

nrpellegrini, Jan 11, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

11.2oz bottle

Pours a slightly hazy, lemon-water yellow color with a booming pure white head. Soft, citrusy wheat character in the nose, soft, with hints of mint and hop bitterness. Bright to the tongue, lots of husky grain, clean wheat, and lime peel, doughy yeast and a fruity twang upon the finish. The only thing truly lacking here in flavor is its aftertaste, burnt and stale, musky and it stays with you for what seems like forever. Light in body, crisp enough, definitely refreshing. I've had many better witbier but a Hoe-y still remains drinkable IMO.

ATPete, Jan 11, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Slightly hazed(starch haze?) with huge white head. Very lively carbonation. Upon closer examination there is a bit of particulate mass floating around, possibly yeast.

A- Very light aroma. Hints of coriander and a belgian yeastiness. Light sweetness. Very light citrus fruit.

T- Coriander taste throughout. Very light notes of citrus fruits. Very soft malty taste. Slightly dry tart finish.

M- Medium body with moderate-high carbonation. Quite crisp and refreshing.

D- A great representative of the Wit style. I felt it was a little heavy on the coriander and light on all other components. However I would gladly drink this beer almost anytime.

gpogo, Jan 10, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured a pale straw color that was milky with a big impressive head. Head dissipated quickly. Definitely smelled of orange and wheat. Tasted similar to the smell with a nice dry finish. Beer was nicely balanced. This is a nice refreshing beer that would be a nice summer refresher.

cpn920, Jan 10, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Rather pale yellow with some slight olive notes to the hue. A white head, as I would expect, rather creamy and rich, but retention is somewhat poor. Leaves a spotty lacing behind, but nothing too extraordinary.

S: The standard scent of breakfast cereal stands out... Fruit Loops is the smell, I believe, on this one. The grainy, all-in-one fruitiness that comes from the box in general with no real focus on any particular 'Loop'

T: Flavour is not so strong on the 'breakfast cereal' front, which is kinda fortunate. A definite citrus note stands out, but a bit of it is a dry citrus note, which is alright. A soft maltiness backs it up.

M + D: It's crisp, but not overdone. Dry, but not 'parching.' A decent body, but the flavour profiles are just not quite there. This beer has plenty of potential to be something very great... I hope to see that happen!

Proteus93, Jan 10, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

The pour is a very pale yellow with a nice head. The head recedes into a sheet and leaves a little lacing.

The nose is mostly wheat and citrus notes, with spices in the background. The taste is more of the same, with a hoppy bitterness throughout, but some sweetness .

The mouthfeel is light (not quite as like as water) with a nice amount of carbonation. Drinkability is high; I could drink these all night.

CityBoy1986, Jan 09, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Really enjoyed the natural cloudiness of this beer...probably the most i have enjoyed pouring a beer in a while (if ever)...perfect head which stayed built during the entire taste and great light color...

S - Good but not great...small hint of what appears to be an orange peel...would've liked more...

T - Distinct barley taste with a prominent wheat feel...prominent aftertaste which took a while to get accustomed to...

M - I highly suggest taking an above average sip and let this beer travel through your palate...perfect carbonation which grew in my mouth...

D - You could really enjoy this beer on a hot day...actually, several of these beers...

cnjohn19, Jan 08, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +20.8%

Hoegarden pours a cloudy light skin toned beer with a solid white two finger head. I got all the yeast in. The aroma is clean and crisp lemon, coriander, and yeasty goodness.

The taste is a really clean lemon/coriander and spice flavor with a yeasty quality.

The mouthfeel is light and crisp. This is an easy drinking beer and a quaffable one as well!

This beer is easy to find, easy to drink, and easy on the liver! A world better than Blue Moon.

rtratzlaff, Jan 06, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -25.3%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was very white and the beer was very cloudy. The beer poured a really fluffy big white head that looked delicious. The smell was very breadt very yeasty and was favorable. However the taste was just not good for me. Certainly wheat beers are not my favorite, but if you like a slightly sour tasting beer you might like ot. I will not buy again.

Minkybut, Jan 06, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a very pale straw with a bubbly white head that settles into a persistent ring. Slight lacing.

The smell is of ever-familiar Belgian brewing yeast. I feel I've used the words "spicy" and "fruity" in a lot of reviews as of late, but there really isn't any other way to describe a lot of Belgian beers (or Bavarian weizens).

Flavor is just as pleasant as the smell. Nicely balanced spices mix with juicy citrus fruit. Good stuff. Not earth-shattering, but good nonetheless.

Mouthfeel and carbonation are spot-on for the style. Slightly prickly.

Drinkability is about as high as it gets. I wouldn't have a problem downing 4-5 pints of Hoegaarden on a given evening. This is one easy pleaser of a beer.

BigJim5021, Jan 06, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

A - Good head, decent retention, no real lacing but i think thats due to the head being pretty slick. Not as cloudy as i expected.

S - Sweet yeasty smell, typical of the style. Pretty good complexity of spices.

T - Good complexity. Good witbier. Good balance of different spices.

M - Clean feel, good carbonation level.

D - Good drinkability, goes down smooth.

Good witbier, and available almost everywhere. One of the best beers you can buy at wal-mart or almost any grocery store.

cottonkoozie, Jan 06, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -10.3%

A light and citrusy white beer with a hefty amount of spice mainly apparent in the after taste. This beer was very easy to drink and came in a thoughtfully designed bottle and six pack holder. The bulb at the neck of the bottle helped to ensure a better pour and the top of the six pack holder provided the phonetic spelling of Hoegaarden to help with pronunciation. The attention to detail and thought put into this beer is top notch.

nd5282, Jan 05, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

Bought this at a local Publix in Miami in my quest to find beer I'll like, since I'm new to it in general -- but boy did I pick right.

A: Was headier than my first beer, about almost half an inch (1cm?) or so of foam that settled quick. Pale, golden and hazy. Little bits of yeast floating about. A bit bubbly.

S: Smelled a bit fruity, very light. Like orange, maybe? I'm bad at smelling things.

T: My untrained palate didn't detect much of a wheaty taste in this one (I noticed one in Shock Top, in comparison); however, there was a light citrusy taste that I could feel in my entire time drinking it. Very refreshing and enjoyable.

MF: I'll be honest -- the first few times I had it (this rating is for my third, one every other day this week), it was a little bitter. But now it starts off just slightly bitter and smooths out quickly. Good amount of carbonation in the beer, not as much as the only others I've had. Surprisingly light to me considering what I've had before.

D: At first it wasn't much for me, but now that I've had a few more and let things grow on me, I've established it's fantastic. Tasty, smooth, I'd have a few of these in one sitting.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, since this is literally my official "third" beer (not counting whatever I had when I lived in Mexico) since I've been searching for something I'd like. I'd definitely buy this again, and I plan on bringing it whenever someone asks me to bring drinks to a getty again.

nothingxs, Jan 03, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass.

A - A really thin head, only about a 1/4 of an inch that disappeared very quickly. Beautiful hazy yellow color, small particles of yeast floating throughout.

S - Smells of wheat and citrus fill my nose with this beer, pretty pleasent.

T - One of the greatest parts of this beer, very tasty and very wheaty, love the aftertaste.

M - This bottle didn't seem to have too much carbonation since I didn't get much head but it seems very carbonated when in the mouth, interesting, but still enjoyable.

D - Pretty good drinkability, I could enjoy a six pack in one sitting, really good taste and not too heavy.

Still one of the better belgian witbiers.

cvaypai, Jan 02, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice white inch head, looks similar to a cloudy, highly carbonated lemonade in color

Smells sweet, fruity, some banana and citrus. Usual wheat beer smells with some spice, not much coming through on the hop or malt side.

First taste is of light malts with some spice, clove or allspice. Pretty much typical witbier taste. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Mouth feel is light and smooth , slightly watery. Not too over carbonated, Easy on the palette

Beer is very session able , easy to drink. Not my favorite witbier but love the style so would drink again.

angelmonster, Dec 31, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into my New Belgium Globe Glass. Best before 6-12-09.

Color is a really hazy dull yellow. Thin white head that fizzles down quickly. Little lace observed.

Smell is very fruit. Main smell is bananas. Taste is similiar, but there is more of a hoppy taste involved.

Mouthfeel isn't very pleasent. Starts out bitter and then eventually ends smooth after a while.

Overall, it is a decent brew for something so popular. I could probably enjoy this at a bar or have this for a session beer.

mothman, Dec 24, 2008