Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros

Best to let this set for a half hour or so after removing from the fridge. When I first had this beer, it was served from the bottle into a pint glass at a restaurant. And it was served ice cold. I really was not impressed. On a whim, I picked up a sixer some time later, and found that glassware and temperature make one hell of a difference.

Poured a hazy yellow into a tulip. Swirlled around the last bit in the bottle to top of. Small nice head goes down rather quickly, but a little swirlling brings it right back up. Nice smells. Bready and just a touch of citrus. Don't really pick up a spice profile. The citrus and spice are very subdued in the taste as well, which is an inoffensive bready/ wheat goodness. Neither sweet nor bitter.

Great mouthfeel. Medium carbonation makes this one very easy to quaff. The low alcohol percentage doesn't hurt either. Great session beer. This beer is an absolute staple. Not my favorite Witte, but damned good and easy to find.

Onibubba, Feb 14, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap 2/8/07 at Cattail's Restaurant in East Providence, RI, served in a Becker pint glass.

A: The beer is a slightly cloudy and very light yellow color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very lemony along with some wheat and a little bit of hops and spice.

T: Flavors of lemon and wheat dominate the taste, but the flavors are not over powering. There is some clove spice mixed in and a faint bit of hops in the background. After-taste is mildly bready with a touch of sweetness.

M: Crisp and very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Tasty, goes down very easily, not very filling at all, nice representation of style, I was at the restaurant for only about an hour and put away 3 pints. The only thing that would keep me from sticking with this beer for an evening would be that I might drink it too quickly.

TheManiacalOne, Feb 09, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a hazy yellow color with a fizzy head that fades down considerably. Not too much going on in the nose, some spicy citrus notes and some mild floral hops, it's pleasant though. Smooth taste of citrus, clove, spice, and rounded out with a slightly bready hop bite. Overall very drinkable and light, perfect for summer. Can be served with an orange or lemon to intensify the citrus elements.

lehows, Feb 08, 2007

Poured from a standard bottle into a pilsner glass.

I was immediately struck by the cloudy, bright yellow appearance (the room was well lit, too).

Strong, "wheaty" aroma was most inviting. I also detected a slight, citrusy background aroma.

Very smooth from start to finish, with a decent amount of carbonation. Slight bite at the finish with a lingering, tangy/citrusy aftertaste.

Overall, a very nice selection that I would definitely drink again.

Adding a slice of lemon to the glass only enhances the flavor, IMO.

mfreire212, Feb 05, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

I poured this beer into a pint glass. It has a great light orange/yellow color, but with minimal head. It smells like your typical unfiltered wheat beer, tasty! The taste is excellent, although I am a bit biased because I really enjoy this style. I served it with a slice of lemon, orange is a bit too sweet for me. It has a plain mouthfeel, but it is smooth and delectable. I highly recommend to fans of this style.

ewurm, Feb 05, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +19.5%

Being a seasoned beer veteran, but novice to reviews, I throughly enjoyed the look and aroma of this one. Nice seasoned scent and light to medimum color. Slightly cloudy, and a little bit of yeast taste but a nice smooth finish.

Enjoy in good health.

Michael

AleLover2, Jan 27, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Said to be one of the worst (generic, I assume they mean) beers to come out of Belgium, it still ranks well with good imported session beer in my opinion. I often find myself buying a 4-pack to kick back and watch a game of sport or play a few hands of poker with the guys.

As the name suggests, is bears a distinct wheat smell and taste. It tastes sharp with hints of citrus. Slightly over-carbonated for my liking, its very smooth and quite tasty. I could happily drink this all night, esspecially considering its now very reasonable price here in Australia.

rec, Jan 21, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

Great cloudy golden pour- good yeasty aromas with tangy citrus bite. Wheaty on the tongue- light airy head gives flavors a way to come through. Belgian yeast strains are GOD, and this is a great mild intro to the style. Extremely drinkable, and the aggressive carbonation makes this brew very refreshing and flavorful.

kernalklink, Jan 21, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: When poured a slowly dissapating head of about a quarter inch sat on top of a dark murky yellow amber beer. Thick lacing occured when drank.

Smell: Distinclty wheat with mixed different spices.

Taste: Sharp wheat taste that lingers through the after taste, hints of lemon as well.

Mouthfeel: Slight sting of carbonation from this lighter feeling beer.

Drinkability: Very smooth and tasty, I could drink many at a time.

Burdman, Jan 16, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

My first of many, many different witbiers, Hoegaarden Original White is responsible for converting me into the world of "good beer". With my first glance, I knew I was in love.

I like to drink Hoegaarden as my "around the house" beer. It's tastey, looks good, goes down easy... everything I could ask for.

But this review isn't about "around the house", it's about how wonderful Hoegaarden is on-tap. Served in it's hexagonal pint glass, it's a fantastic looking beer. Light, cloudy pale yellow, with a nice amount of creamy, white head... it practically begs, "drink me."

Smells definitely of orange and citrus, not overpowering. Spices, I'm imagining coriander, come through as well. When it hits the tongue, lots of citrus presence with no sour qualities. Wheat presence is huge, obviously, but helps it go down oh-so-smoothly. Hints of coriander also prevelant. Slightly creamy, and finishes with no bitter qualities. Carbonation is medium, not overwhelming by any means.

I can knock back more of these than I'd like to admit, and while it's not my FAVORITE all time wit, Hoegaarden Original White Ale is a definite contender in the wide world of witbier.

SaucyA, Jan 14, 2007

This beer pours a very light and very cloudy golden color. Head was over an inch thick upon pouring and eventually settled to a very nice film layer with some fairly decent lacing. Pleasant aromas of orange and lemon jumped right into my nostrils upon taking a whiff, but I really couldn't detect much else smell wise here. flavors of wheat, orange, lemon, and a bit of spice are all present and are all nicely balanced. There is a bit of a dry and bitter aftertaste. Has a crisp mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. nice and drinkable. A good beer, but nothing super special either. Certainly a very good representation of this style though.

Eric

neenerzig, Jan 02, 2007

The pour is a cloudy Pale yellow with a creamy white head that leaves a lot of lace. The aroma is peppery coupled with the sweet notes of orange and lemon zest. Quite nice actually. Flavors start out sweet with noticeable wheat flavors (of course). There is a presence of coriander that is interested and might catch you a little off guard with the first few sips. The finish is a bit flat and watery in my opinion. Mouthfeel is lightly chewy. Drinkability is average, better if your a devote follower of the white ales. Overall, I must say that is brew did not impress me with the first glass. It might have been the present mood affecting my objectivity. However, by the end of the session, I did find it and enjoyable brew. Best to buy and try for yourself.

MrVisegrips, Dec 31, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 33cl bottle with a best by 4/2/08 date. It was a cloudy yellow with a small head. Aroma was citrus, as well as a grassy smell. I couldn't really appreciate the citrus when tasting it, mostly some spiciness. I thought this was a little too bland, even for a wit. Could be a decent thirst quencher.

lordofthewiens, Dec 30, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

Classic, hazy yellow-white in color; it is beautiful. Massive, fluffy white head, at the apex there was over three fingers of foam. Impressive. Head retention was excellent; the bubbles were slow to fall to thin, soapy cap. The subsequent lacing was spotty but prevalent enough to take note. This beer is lovely to look at.

The nose offers a wheaty-yeasty slurry with minimal spiciness. I detect faint traces of lemon and orange peel with sensible kisses of cloves and coriander. Moderate potency… fairly chatty; the nose is quite nice. I had my first couple Hoegaarden’s last night and I wasn’t too impressed but as I sit down to review this and really deconstruct it I have to say I am enjoying it much more. Classic nose. Inviting.

The palate is a tad restrained, IMO. I like the wheaty-yeasty flavors; delicate spiciness, lemon zest, orange peels, coriander, cloves, with a hint of ginger. Sweet in the middle, kind of flabby; I’d like to see a tad more hops to balance the sweetness. Wheaty-spicy finish, which dries out the aftertaste… I am thankful the sweetness is broken as I don’t think I could handle it from middle through aftertaste. Solid palate overall.

Almost medium in body, the carbonation is moderate and fitting for the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is nothing special but it plays the part well enough.

I think a part of me expected a better beer and a part of me wanted to hate this beer and a part of me got the exact beer I was expecting. I am happy this beer is good. It is the best “affordable” Wit available in Omaha. It kills ZÔN, Sunshine Wheat, and Blue Moon but Blanche de Chambly and St. Bernardus Wit are much better (but pricier). I’m please it is available in Omaha. I found it to be a drinkable and likeable Wit; worth a try.

bditty187, Dec 29, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -2.4%

Hazy gold with a 3-finger foamy white head.
Citrus (orange not grapefruit) dominates the aroma.
Full orange/wheat flavor. More punch than the aroma suggested.
Settles on the tongue and bubbles into the nose. Comfortably thin.
Goes down easy with enough flavor to want more although I was thinking more in terms of food pairings than multiple glasses.

bgraney, Dec 28, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -23.5%

A- Unfiltered pale yellow. Creamy white head. Laced the entire class with its pure white foam.

S- lemons, spices.

T- Sweet, but it does go a little dry at the end. The lemon is balanced with spices so it does not have too muh of one flavor. Very refreshing.

M- Goes down easy, kind of thick, but not in a bad way.

D- This beer was great! I could drink it all day if it was not so filling. There is really nothing I can say about this beer that is bad.

*On tap in Europe*

jeffaz02t, Dec 27, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz. to pint glass.

A - Hazy straw body with huge, pilowy head, which sinks to thick, clumpy lace.

S - Banana, malt, lemon, and hints of pepper.

T - Sweet, light citric hops, and peppery yeast. Dries in the finish with spicy yeast and slight bitterness.

M - Thin to medium body. Mild carbonation on the tip of the tongue.

D - Very high. Delicious. Refreshing. Quite nice.

isaac, Dec 24, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +9%

Appearance - Cloudy pale straw, whitish yellow with a nice compact white head that quickly settles to a 1/8 in covering.

Smell - Sweet malt and unmistakably wheat. Some honey tones and a hint of spice.

Taste - Refreshing lemon-citrusy taste combined with wheat malt and some tartness.

Finish - Clean, dry and ever so slightly bitter.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. Refreshing. Even light beer drinkers would enjoy this one, but this has a lot more character.

86sportster883, Dec 23, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a light pale orange, not watery but white, thus the style of the ale. Nice white head, not much lacing if any. Lemony orange smell, coriander. Taste of lemon zest, a bit of orange, banana, coriander. Moderately carbonated, a bit creamy, finishes quite dry. Not my favorite style, always thought it had some funk flavor, but not as bad as I thought in my earlier years. Good drinkability, a bit dry for my liking but that is ok since it is not bitter.

Gmann, Dec 23, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Presentation: Poured from a uniquely-shaped 12 oz brown bottle into a hexagonal Hoegaarden style glass. The label says best before 06/01/08. I am hoping that is June 2008 and not August 2006.

Appearance: Pouring by the directions in the label (pour 2/3 of beer, swirl bottle, pour the rest for a head) this beer has about an inch of pure white creamy head. This sticks around for most of the glass, finally fading into a ring around the glass. The beer itself is a strong yellow color and cloudy enough that I cannot see through it. A little bit of sediment in the glass.

Smell: Spicy and yeasty. Smells of orange/citrus with a distinctive sour wheat tang to it.

Taste: The sour wheat tang from the smell is more upfront in the taste. Citrusy bite afterwards withjust a small but of bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Feels smooth and creamy like drinking velvet.

Drinkability: An easy drinking classic.

beveritt, Dec 19, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

Tapped into an American pint glass.
Appearance: 1/2 Inch head that shrinks to 1/4 inch and stays for awhile until I take a few sips. Translucent golden/yellow color containing lots of carbonation.
Smell: Sweet honey. Citrus. Lemon. A little metal-probably from the tap lines.
Taste: Very nice and refreshing. Lifesaver sweet but not cloying. Just enough lemon to bring out those hop flavors. Tastes flowery in the finish.
Mouthfeel: Excellent for this style. Goes down easily and leaves me with some dryness...enough to want to take another sip. I go through the whole pint quickly. Couldn't ask for more here.
Drinkability: Very good year round. Refreshing in the summer and a daily sipper during the winter. Unfortunately my every day sippers come from kegs that I buy from local craft brewers. This is a great beer to have if you go out to a place that might not have the best beer selection.

Risser09, Dec 17, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

12oz. Bottle

Poured a light straw yellow. I swirled the last couple inches in the bottle and got a yeast cloud as a result. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles rise from all over. The head when poured was 2 fingers of white creamy chunkiness. The head stays put for awhile. Looks like a white should.

A solid dose of coriander and clove come through first and mingles with the spiciness of the yeast. There is a sprinkling of bitter orange peel in the background. A wheat twang is the base for everything else.

The coriander, clove, and spicy yeast mix together nicely without one overtaking the others. Twangy wheat cools things at mid-palate and there is a mild white pepper spice on the finish. the coriander makes another small appearence on the swallow.

This beer has a nice light body without being watery. It's smooth going down and the carbonation awakens the taste buds with the tingle making it an enjoyable brew.

Drinkability is good. I'm drinking this the wrong time of year. It's cold right now but in the summer Hoegaarden is hard to beat when it's nice and cold.

Hoegaarden, in my opinion, is the base for many white ales. There are better out there but there are many, many worse. A satisfying brew with good consistency. A staple if you're a white ale fan.

Slainte!

joe1510, Dec 12, 2006

A - Pours a cloudy pale gold with a thick creamy head. Low carbonation.

S - Hit of clove, lemon, banana, yeast.

T - Sweet citrus and yeast initially, before the clove emerges in the middle. Banana and generally fruity end with some phenols. An abrupt, clean aftertaste.

M - Light body and moderate, refreshing carbonation.

D - Very drinkable. Solid, easy to find Wit.

haz77, Dec 10, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a nice mild yellow with a small half inch head. Smells of bananna and citrus fruits. Some hint of wheat too.
Taste is very mild with suttle hints of bananna and wheat but very limited. Not a very tasteful beer and kind mild on the pallette. Still enjoyable once in a while, but not one of my favorite.

stouty1, Dec 08, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

The beer pours a very pale yellow, almost white, and cloudy. There is a nice bubbly white head on top. Smell is of sweet fruits (bananas) and a hint of spices.

The taste is almost like the smell, but seems more muted. Banana and spices, a bit of hops. It's not an overwhelming flavor, nor very interesting. Not offensive by any means. A fairly typical wit, certainly not bad, but nothing special either.

BBM, Nov 26, 2006