Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,510 | Reviews: 1,687
2.66/5  rDev -29.6%

What I really cant believe is that I havent tried this beer yet. Probably the only beer Ive seen sitting there on the shelf a thousand times without ever actually buying it. Strange also, its one of my favorite styles.

Pours a very pale yellow color with a slight haze. A nice fluffy white head was created through a vigorous pour. Decent lacings left behind.

The aroma is simple. A little citrus fruits, a little of that wheat ale smell. The taste is also remarkably simple. A few hints of lemon and on the yeasty side, theres really not any large standout flavors in this one. There may be a few remnant flavors of some spices floating around in it, but nothing noteworthy.

Mouthfeel is crisp, dry, and refreshing. A light bodied beer, but I'm impressed with the refreshing mouthfeel and adequate carbonation. Drinkability is good also, I could drink these all day without ever getting tired of them, but also without ever having an excellent beer all day either.

3.48/5  rDev -7.9%

A-Pours a slightly golden off white color -- almost like a white peach. Active carbonation during the pour makes a nice thick white head. Lacing drips slowly down the glass.

S- Fruity and a bit spicy -- lemon scents dominate but they're tempered by a bit of bannana and just a bit of clove. Not as much as in some other Witbeers.

T- The basic wheat taste isn't too strong in this one with bananas strong in the opening. The lemon flavors work their way up and take over in the finish. Very little spiciness in here, it's sweet and a bit watery.

M- I like my witbeers a bit heavier than this. It's a little bit watery and a little bit chalky. Not terrible, but not great.

D- This is a nice and drinkable beer that I think few would find offensive or difficult. It doesn't stand out to me as something to search out, but I can see this working well with hot wings (recommended by others) or a salmon BLT.

3.76/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hoegaarden White Ale pours with massive amounts of carbonation and produces massive amounts of brilliant white head. The body is light tannish silver in color and is quite hazy.

The taste is mostly dominated by orange qualities, as is in the aromas.

There is a slight powdery feel to this brew.

I've got a warm spot for this brew. It helped me through my year when I didn't have access to craft beer in Korea. This is a great import.

3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

A- Pale straw yellow color, very thin white head, tons of tiny carbonation bubbles

S- Bananas, lemons, wheat

T- Mostly lemons, bananas, yeast, grassy, wheat, slight hop bite at the end

M- Very light, heavy carbonation making it kinda fizzy

D- Good but a little too carbonated

Good flavors for this witbier but nothing really exceptional about it. This beer doesn't really have anything that makes it stand out. Just an over all decent beer.

3.42/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottle. Pours a straw yellow. Aroma is subdued coriander. Flavor is the same, some spices come out that aren't apparent in the aroma. Light, refreshing, goes well with several foods, from a great steak to a pizza. Good choice after a round of golf in the hot sun.

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

This is one of my favorite styles. Poured into a pint glass. Cloudy, light tan color. I like the look of this. Nice citrus smell. Citrus taste also. Very refreshing. Drinkability is good - goes down easily. Great for a hot summer day or when you want something crisp. One of my go-to beers when I want a "good" beer out somewhere.

3.87/5  rDev +2.4%

Got this on tap at the Yardhouse in San Diego, CA. Was served with a thin cotton white head. Body was a light pale yellow, looks like a fresh squeezed lemonade. Im so glad they didn't put a stupid orange or lemon on it. Smells were sweet, lemony, citris, V8 type vegetable smells. Taste was a bit like banana taffy with hints of clove spice flavors. Mouthfeel was a bit of tingle on the tip of my tongue and a light dry acidic note. Overall a pretty good beer. I Love White Ales, so i might be a little bias on this one.

3.73/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Yellow, cloudy body with with a thin white head which stays with the beer all the way down. The smell is not particularly stong, but was sweet. Tastes strongly of orange, with some lemon too. Goes down very easily, and would make for a perfect beer in the summer time.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

This is the beer I have when I want something light and hefe like, mainly because it's more available in standard restaurants. In fact, I had one of these at Geauga Lake Amusement Park's Octoberfest this year. (Rip GL)

So, of all the times I've had this, I've never reviewed it, so well, it's great. The end. ...well, not so fast.

A: Cloudy, yellow, small particulate, looks like pineapple juice. Little head but nice lace.

S: Subdued Jucy Fruit, not as fake, but there was an industrial hint to it, which detracted slightly.

M: Chewy, foamy, mouth left you wanting another sip, overall like you've just chewed the gum.

T: Light, banana clove taste, not very overpowering, orange hints, but the star is the thick wheat overtones that makes this beer. Serve it with a slice of orange! Come on! Serve it! When you've graduated from the Trix cerial flavor of Blue Moon, come have a real example of the style. Not the best, but damn good.

D: Yep. It seems like I see it more out-and-about and compared with the other stuff, this is the choice when no microbrewed Hefes or Wits are available

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance is hazed light straw with a thick crisp head. Smell is mainly citrus that is crisp and clean. Taste of citrus, spice and wheat. mouthfeel is light with a good amount of carbonation that makes it crisp and refreshing. Seems a little watered down with the overall flavor, but still a very good summer brew.

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours from 330ml bottle(best by 20/09/08) a slightly hazy straw colour with a fairly large head of foam that recedes quickly to just some spotting and some lacing.

The smell is of wheat, banana, and clove.

The taste is some nice wheat flavour, very light clove, and even lighter banana. Very lightly flavoured over all but what is there is good. Just needs to be a bit more assertive. The mouthfeel is light, the carbo is light, and it finishes on the watery side.

Bottom line: It's been a while since I last had some of this and I don't recall it being *this* light on the flavours. In my book, it's just so so. There are lots of others in the style that please my palate more.

3.55/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Oddly enough, I did not enjoy this beer nearly as much the more Ive drank over time as the first time that I tried it out.

On this tasting, the pour was into a low Hoegaarden glass and the cloudy musty look of the beer was very attractive. Generous head to the beer. The smell of citrus/coriander was intense and lasted throughout the drink. However, I dont think the taste held up quite as much as there was a bit of a soapy aftertaste that followed each sip, especially toward the end.

On this time that I actually looked to drink in order to review it, I was more apt to notice that I really didnt enjoy it nearly as much as I first thought. The smell and first sip are on the top of any list but I think the drinkability is where it really falls apart over time.

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured a hazy light-honey-toned yellow with a thick, creamy white head with decent retention. Lots of carbonation bubbles rushing to the surface.

Pleasant citrusy smells with a pleasant spicy backdrop.

The palate is where the citrus and spice really took over. Orange peel galore, subtle hints of lemon up front segueing into a nice peppery, spicy uber-Belgian finish.

The mouthfeel was very crisp with a lot of carbonation. Outstanding drinkability -- particularly as a thirst quencher. Tempting to put away several in a session.

The quintessential witbier -- maybe not what it once was from what people say, but still a classic.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured white into a Hoegaarden glass, like seven up soft drink I thought at first; light honey hue in the glass, cloudy, murky, generously carbonated. Generous fluffy white head, two fingers with good retention. Smell of fruit rind, citrus. Taste is refreshingly zesty with marmalade, a touch of spice, lemon lime. Smooth mouthfeel with fullness and a very satisfying peach finish, citrus, a bit of sweet apricot too. Overall, I never realized just how pleasant this beer is until I sat down to review it, I'd be happy to have another right now.

4.48/5  rDev +18.5%

Hoegaarden Original White Ale pours a cloudy light yellow white with a frothy head that lingers in the glass. The aroma is yeast and citrusy corriander with a hint of sweet wheat. The flavor is crisp and refreshing, very slightly tart with more coriander and slightly chalky yeast. The hops are all but nonexistent, and the beer is very smooth and refreshing.

3.71/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a pale white-ish yellow. The head is small and pure white. The smell is sort of lemony. Taste is of a slight Belgian style yeast, with a bit of peppery flavor, and lemon. The mouthfeel is pretty good, with a proper level of carbonation. Very drinkable, smooth and light.

4.14/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy, almost clear pale golden color with a one and a half finger pure white foamy head obtained after a pretty hard pour.

Smell: Light aroma of lemon and a hint of spiciness.

Taste: Light and refreshing with a nice lemony citrus introduction getting stronger on the midpalate. Hints of coriander and a light, balancing malt? Finishes crisp with a sort of biting feeling in the back of the throat.

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

Served from a 330 ml brown pop off bottle into a Hoegaarden glass. BB 11/11/08

A- Pours a foggy, light yellow almost white in color with a fluffy head that sticks and laces nicely.

S- Nice aromas of banana bread, yeast, and corriander with hints of clove, slight lemon aromas as well.

T- Slightly tangy off the start but smooths out into some delicious flavors of citrus fruit, corriander, banana, nice spicy yeast, with hops noticed in the finish. Slightly dry finish from the wheat im guessing.

M- Carbonation tickles the tongue in this medium bodied and smooth beer.

D- Flavor-full and refreshing on summer nights.

Overall not the best witbier ive had to date but still an excellent example of the style, even if its not the original Celis Hoegaarden. Recommended.

Very pale colour, really almost white. A good head that lives long enough.
Aroma is mainly citrus, with coriander and floral notes. Flavour has some acidity, but silky. Taste of citrus, floral notes, coriander, a bit hot.
One of the best anod more refreshing beers, wonderful as an aperitif or just alone in hot days.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Served on-tap in a room temp pint glass at The Bulldog in Jackson, MS

Appearance- By the time the beer arrived at my table, the head had dissipated to almost nothing. However, having had this before, I know that this is due to the inability of the barkeep, not a characteristic of the brew. The body of the beer is appear semi-opaque light yellow.

Smell- citrusy, spicy, subtle hoppiness

Taste- Unique citrus and coriander(?) flavor present from start to finish. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel- light and creamy.

Drinkability- Hoegaarden is always a good choice in a witbier.

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%

I've recently had a different batch of Hoegaarden's famous witbier and must say that I am disappointed. Whereas the first batch (I presume brewed at an earlier date in time) had delicious citrus hints, comparable to Blue Moon, probably better, this batch (a fresher batch) lacks a lot. The citrus hints are almost completely gone. All that is left is a dull banana taste and rather offensive spices. I might be grading a bit harsher than I normally would, but I am aware of what this beer COULD be, so I am disappointed.

I have noticed that many beeradvocate members have noticed this reduction in quality, and I feel as time moves on and all the older batches are off the shelves, the less favorable reviews will start rolling. In the mean time, you're gambling on every Hoegaarden you pick up.

1.3/5  rDev -65.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

me and a buddy sat out on the deck,and tried this beer,we had no idea what to expect from this beer,first pour and i thought,what the...very pale cloudy yellow,kinda murky looking.Had a nice thick white head though.
The aroma,whoa...lots of spices with bananas and a fermented weiner smell to it...eww
First taste and you get all the wheat and banana spice taste,but than the aftertaste,it really hits hard...that fermented weiner taste that just doesn't go away.It's like you have to plug your nose on this one,but it's always there at... the back...lingering eww,again.
I tried to finish it but it was even more pronounced as it warmed,I than decided that's enough and poured it into my garden...by the way..my buddy did the same...
This one is not for me,will have a hard time trying again.

4.12/5  rDev +9%

My favorite witbier so far.

Cloudy yellow beer, with a white bubbly head. Slighlty above average level of carbonation. Lots of spiciness to the smell. Citrus, hops, spices.

A great taste. It's unique and yet very drinkable. It's a very dry wheat beer, with citrus tones and a slight tanginess on the back of the tongue, but the finish is crisp and clean.

I wanted to rate this beer on the first six pack, but liked it enough that I drank them all too fast and had to buy another six pack on a different day in order to remain objective during my review. That's a good sign by me.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

20 oz draught
5.0% ABV
I tried this beer on August 30, 2007 at 'Houston's Steak and Ribs' in Toronto. The beer was a hazy yellow colour with a very white head that persisted throughout the experience. The aroma was a combination of wheat and malt. The mouthfeel was slightly carbonated with some medium-bodiedness. The flavour was wheaty with hints of malt. A good beer, but not a great beer.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

This one's my staple beer; the kind I have once in 1 or 2 weeks... Not that frequent but the
Hoegaarden Wit is like the easy to get beer that I really enjoy drinking. This is in fact the
beer that led me into the world of craft beers but I am posting a very late review on this one.
The Hoegaarden pours out murky golden with a generous head retaining pretty well. Good
carbonation's also visible through the walls of the hexagonal glass. The smell is wheaty,
citrusy and spicey (coriander). The taste was a nifty blend of the citrus and spices with a firm
wheat backing; some orange and banana on the nose. A very smooth entry for the taste with a nice
refreshing finish constantly with a good and strong wheat backing and aromatic spices on the
nose. The mouthfeel was about medium bodied and carbonation was tuned aptly to create a very
slick mouthfeel; very smooth and ever so refreshing to drink. Thirst quenching is going to be
quite an understatement for this Witbier. The after taste starts of spicey and the wheat quickly
kicks in with subtle banana aromas on the nose. The after tastes finishes off orange and citrusy
and lingers for a while before slowling fading off. A great yet simple beer that I could really
enjoy and the great thing is, this one's as easy to get as the Heineken and Tiger (popular local
macros). It is no wonder the Witbier is literally the beer I drink the most often but would not
get sick of it. Bro Keith introduced this beer to me about a year ago and that started my foray
into the world of great tasting craft beers. I prefer it in the bottle than on the tap.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hoegaarden Original White Ale from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden