Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

good

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,682 | Hads: 4,695
4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

This was the first Belgian beer I ever had. I was in O'Neal's on Second and South in Philadelphia. I had spent most of the night drinking Miller Lite and Yuengling Lager until a friend bought me a $5 glass of Hoegaarden. Nice glass. I got one off of ebay later on.

I first wondered why beer was cloudy. Next, I wondered why there was a slice of orange floating in it. How dare someone drop fruit in my beer. Keep that for the edge of your mixed-drink hurricane glasses. The initial taste was one of mostly citrus, and I haven't really tasted much else since then. I know there are other flavors but not as prevalent. A friend of mine drinks this instead of lemonade.

I remember the night being humid, so the taste was refreshing and light. I enjoyed the spicy scent as well. It's perfect for a hot, sunny day by the pool or for a sticky night in the city.

We all know what Wit brews are like, and Hoe is one of my favorites. One negative is that it can be watery from time to time, especially in the bottle.

Incidentally, I've tasted a concoction that mixes Hoegaarden with Lindemans Framboise. The name: A Dirty Ho. Not for me. A little too sweet. (1,162 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Smells like a White beer, looks like it. Taste is some carbonation and some of that fruit. Also honey and citrus. Could be apple, grapefruit, even spearmint. Couldn't finish so it was good that it was popular with my mates. Would be refreshing summer ale. Had on-tap in March 2005 and was terrible, again in May 2005 and was marginal again. (340 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Pours a light citrus-looking cloudy white, just a shade darker than Squirt. Leaves much lace.

Typical yeast and clove on the nose.

Flavor starts a bit sweeter and more peppery than most wheat beers I've sampled; almost along the lines of a light belgian ale. However, the taste profile quickly changes to cloves and a fairly sour middle and finish. Fruity esters are minimal; sticks to spices. Fairly high carbonation overshadows a nice yeast and wheat body. (464 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on-tap at Warren Tavern in Lakewood. It came with a nice white head on a cloudy, pale yellow brew. Smells spicy and a bit like alcohol. This tastes okay, spicy and somewhat bitter and sort of like bread, I swear. This is a drinkable brew but not my favorite. (267 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

Even taking into account the natural pallor of white beers, Hoegaarden's appearance was disappointing. It was nearly impossible to pick up on any subtlety or nuance in its light-straw color through the thick wheat haze. This beer had a hoppy, clean smell with just a hint of hops and citrus. Bubbly and crisp, its mouthfeel overpowered the almost candy-like textures of the beer. Oddly, though, the aftertaste is much maltier than expected, with a fading bitterness. All in all, a fairly decent beer, though probably not worth the hype. (536 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

I got this on tap at Delaney's and it seemed a bit watery. Towards the bottom of the glass, the beer barely had any color to it. I don't know what the deal was or if there is any way a beer can come out of the keg watery. Maybe there was water in the glass.

It still tastes like a Hoegaarden. A great spice kick and a nice, refreshing crispness. It is very drinkable, though I've never made a night out of Hoegaarden whites. Maybe that will be an idea for the summer. (470 characters)

Pours an effervescent hazy yellow with a tall three finger bubbly white head. Left sticky bits and pieces of lace down the glass.
Lemon spiked wheat aroma, some apple, orange (maybe curaco orange).
Lemon again in the taste, on top of the wheat, and oranges. Spicy (pepper, coriander) and a bit of spearmint.
Very light and refeshing, zesty feel, a little sour. Good in the winter, would be even better in the summer. (419 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a pretty different beer…

When you get the over-sized tumbler glass (especially designed for Hoegaarden) it looks like you just got a glass of over carbonated, fresh squeezed apple juice: A cloudy white-yellow liquid with white, half-thick, long-lasting foam.

Then you smell the beer and discover a mix of sweet lemonade, apples, ladies perfume, paperhanger’s paste and soft soap.

The taste is enormously fresh and the carbon dioxide sparkles in your mouth like it is going to explode, but then it just fades away leaving lots of tastes to explore: Sour apples, bitter almonds, hints of leather and white bread.

The aftertaste is as complex and unexpected as the smell and taste: A taste of caraway and other spices used in dark bread is followed by a fresh and refreshing flavour of sour fruit-drops and almonds.

Not like any other beer that I have came across, not even other white beer comes close. A break when you don’t want to have just another beer, and my first choice when I want to be refreshed a hot summer night.

I think that all people with even a slight interested in beer should at least try a Hoegaarden once. (1,157 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite styles. This beer was a very light yellow color that was very hazy, with a white head. The taste was very, very refreshing. An extreme orange flavor that was balanced well with the rest of this beer.

....And to think that I had been warned against sampling this one (288 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden should be recognised for the role it has played in introducing many beer drinkers to a world far removed from the familiar confines inhabited by Miller, Molson or Fosters. Hoegaarden Original White Beer is not the pinnacle of greatness, of course, but it does stand as a doorway, or as an introduction, to more adventurous brews.

The unfiltered orangey paleness of the beer is quite attractive; an initially large head soon gives way to a persistant ring and there isn't a lot of lacing. Some people might find the appearance a little off-putting, say, like greasy dishwater, but I rather liked it.

Hoegaarden's aroma is a kind of peppery yeast mingled with citrus fruitiness. I would have preferred the aroma to be just a bit stronger.

The yeastiness comes through with the first taste. Cloves and bananas. If you enjoy Hefe-Wiessenbier you will know what I am talking about. The aftertaste is gentle and slighty dry. Very nice.

Hoegaarden is very soft and smooth on the palate; it couldn't get much better. The brewers got the carbonation level just right. Good job.

What a refreshing beer! This is something that goes down extremely easily and complements food better than most beers I have had. (1,238 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -19.4%

Bottle - Hazy white brew with a nice white foamy head with good retention. Aroma of coriander is strong but pleasant. Body is medium and good have been a bit stronger. Very refreshing beer for those hot summer days. Wow, this is a good beer but I wouldn't have expected people to rate this one that high! (304 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

I aquired quite a taste for this recently while traveling though London and Paris this last year. The quality remains the same either from the tap or cans or bottles.

A very refeshing light taste that reminds me a little of carbonated grapefruit juice. The appearance is quite similar to that as well. Fully effervescent and light. Quite fruity in both aroma and taste.

An excellent morning beverage or after a hot days activity.

John (443 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

Pale hazy yellow that looks like cloudy lemon juice.

Superb nose that is spicier that the bottled version. Cloves, cinnamon, wheat, peel and yeast all are present in large amounts. Very nice.

Good dry and tart palate that is long and creamy. Same flavours of peel, wheat and spice are apparent, again in large amounts.

Kegged version seems to have a bit more to it both on the palate and the nose. Good to see this popping up around town at non-belgium bars. (467 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy white. One of the first white beers I have ever tried so it's appearence seems unnatural to me. Lots of head, very creamy leaving a nice lace.

Smell is sweet and wheaty. Touches of lemon.

Taste balances far too heavy towards the malts for me. All I taste is sweetness and a touch of wheat. Leaves my mouth feeling coated with yeast and sugar. Ick.

Mouthfeel is poor, too sticky sweet for my tastes.

Wheat beers aren't my favorite, but there are far better than this. (494 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -32.3%

Comes in a distinctive 33cl brown bottle with a bulge in the neck. The label is pretty plain - dare I say "low budget"? "Orange flavoring" and coriander are listed as ingredients. Best before 11/12/04, maybe I opened it a year too soon, on 11/7/03.

The appearance is gorgeous - cloudy yellow with a small white head that lacks contour but retains extremely well and leaves some lace. The nose is outstanding - fruity, tangy, wheaty. The mouth is light and prickly, as it should be. Some much for the nice things I have to say. The taste was, well, the diplomatic term would be "subdued". I struggled to find anything, and came up with wheat and citrus. There are no hops, no malt, no redeeming qualities. The taste of this bottle was surprisingly bland, even tasteless. I was hugely disappointed in what turns out to be the Corona of witbiers. No thanks. (857 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

This is a good beer, especially given that it's mass produced.
I assume it was better before it became a commodity, but I'll never know for sure now.

It's hazy, and there's no mistaking its wheaty characteristics. In trendy UK bars, it's a good choice from the tap or bottle. However, at home, it's not the best, it's just "good". I think this beer is better with food than alone. Certainly a good summer thirst quencher. (425 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

A very nice brew. In a can in Brussels!:-) The appearance and aroma are each docked a notch, as this canned version lacks in those two departments. This beer smells wonderfully like lemons, spices, and wheat and the taste is more of the same, unfortunately the aromas and flavors are subdued in the canned version of this brew. However, this stuff is still immensely refreshing on the pallet, and a good summer-time quaffer if ever there was one. This has a creamy mouth feel as well and a very high drinkability(especially in those warm summer months....or on a cold winters day, perhaps....)A classic white ale, and one hell of a brew.
I just wish that I could have tried this a long time ago before Interbrew changed it. I have heard that it was once even better than this.
cheers!,
(790 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

A nice hazy straw color. Kind of looks like the frozen lemonade with the little bit of hazy going on. The glass filled with about an inch head and the aroma of wheat and citrus. The first taste is of citrus, clove and coriander. It is very nice going down with a little hint of spice that is not overpowering. This beer is very drinkable. Would be perfect for a summer day or like me year round. An all around good beer that I would never pass up if offered (457 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

Pale cloudy white color with a nice creamy white head, good carbonation, and sheets of lace. Perfect balanced aroma: cirtusy fruity, wheaty, and spicy. Wheat malt, spice and orange peel balance nicely for perfect refreshing flavor. Light-medium bodied, tart, dry, and acidic.

The classic ! Perfect wit to compare all other wits... Pricey but much more affordable now that they have moved from a 4-pack to a 6-pack.

Label States: "The Original Belgian White Beer" & "Anno 1445" & "Unfiltered"

Best Before: 12/10/04
Tasted: 10/26/03

($8.79 / 6-pack) (560 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -45%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Color is yellow with hints of white. Head is moderate, nothing special. Taste I just cannot appreciate, unfortunately. Very wheaty, and you can physically feel particles of wheat in the beer which remain in the aftertaste.

Note: This is my second Hoegaarden. The first one made me sick, so I wanted to stick it out and try another to insure it wasn't just a bad batch or something. But this one still just tastes nasty to me. The wheat taste just is nauseating to me. I know the reviews are supposed to be relative to it's style, but I haven't had many other white beers to compare this too, and the ones that i have had were not so sickening to me. Perhaps I'm allergic to the style or something, but I just can't recommend this. (733 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%

I was a littel disappointed in this in the bottle. I've had Hoegaarden's on tap at Monk's and Eulogy Tavern in Phila. It is greatly superior and is not nearly as costly.

On tap, it is a classic Belgian white. In the bottle, there are American whites that I find superior. It had less color than I expected with little head or aroma.

It tasted good, and it has a nice feel to it. It is a good beer but not as special as the price. (435 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oooh well this is a beer that doesnt really do much for anything really....

Pours an extremely pale golden cloudy tone that almost blends with its perfect white foam head.

The smell, weak and short lasting is rather wheaty but has no special notes to it and doesnt really embrace when tasting.

The taste makes things no different either. The weakness ruins it because it appears as though the pale tone of the beer is caused by someone adding too much water to it and making it less tasteful. But, oh, well, a decent beer anyways. (540 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a very pale cloudy yellow color - the description “white” is very appropriate. A snow white head of small bubbles sits lightly on top of the brew until receding to a thin lace. The aroma is citric with noticeable orange and lemon notes. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth with a zesty bite towards the end. Orange and lemon notes from the aroma, along with yeast notes, are quite noticeable on the palate, with the orange tending to come though a bit more in the finish. A touch of spice is also evident, although I can’t pick it up quite as much as I would have expected to. This is definitely a refreshing beer with a fairly light, crisp mouthfeel. I’m drinking it in October, but it seems that it would make a great summer brew. (737 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The perfect beer for a warm summer day. Pours cloudy pale gold with a creamy white head. The aroma is sweet and sour from the blending of wheat and spices. The flavor are smooth and crisp, with a perfect balance of sweetness from the malt and wheat, with orange peel and coriander all in a beer with a decent mouthfeel. This beer is exceptionally drinkable and should be in your regular rotation of summer beers. (412 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked up in England by a friend. The benchmark "IMO" for the wit beer style. Im not a big fan of yeasty brews but enjoyed thisone much. I poured the bottle into a rather large, oversize Hoegaarden glass, he also brought. It poured a cloudy straw pale color with a carbonated white head. Lace was not a factor. The aroma was of citrus lemon. The taste was fruity with a lite drying hop finish. Clearly the zest of lemon and coriander stand out most. The mouth feels the soft carbonation or foam like texture, left alittle dry. This was more than I expected for a wit, while also living up to what I expected a Hoegaarden to be! Good stuff! (639 characters)

Hoegaarden Original White Ale from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden