Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,694 | Hads: 4,772
4.85/5  rDev +26.6%

Pale cloudy white color with a nice creamy white head, good carbonation, and sheets of lace. Perfect balanced aroma: cirtusy fruity, wheaty, and spicy. Wheat malt, spice and orange peel balance nicely for perfect refreshing flavor. Light-medium bodied, tart, dry, and acidic.

The classic ! Perfect wit to compare all other wits... Pricey but much more affordable now that they have moved from a 4-pack to a 6-pack.

Label States: "The Original Belgian White Beer" & "Anno 1445" & "Unfiltered"

Best Before: 12/10/04
Tasted: 10/26/03

($8.79 / 6-pack)

2.13/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Color is yellow with hints of white. Head is moderate, nothing special. Taste I just cannot appreciate, unfortunately. Very wheaty, and you can physically feel particles of wheat in the beer which remain in the aftertaste.

Note: This is my second Hoegaarden. The first one made me sick, so I wanted to stick it out and try another to insure it wasn't just a bad batch or something. But this one still just tastes nasty to me. The wheat taste just is nauseating to me. I know the reviews are supposed to be relative to it's style, but I haven't had many other white beers to compare this too, and the ones that i have had were not so sickening to me. Perhaps I'm allergic to the style or something, but I just can't recommend this.

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%

I was a littel disappointed in this in the bottle. I've had Hoegaarden's on tap at Monk's and Eulogy Tavern in Phila. It is greatly superior and is not nearly as costly.

On tap, it is a classic Belgian white. In the bottle, there are American whites that I find superior. It had less color than I expected with little head or aroma.

It tasted good, and it has a nice feel to it. It is a good beer but not as special as the price.

3.56/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oooh well this is a beer that doesnt really do much for anything really....

Pours an extremely pale golden cloudy tone that almost blends with its perfect white foam head.

The smell, weak and short lasting is rather wheaty but has no special notes to it and doesnt really embrace when tasting.

The taste makes things no different either. The weakness ruins it because it appears as though the pale tone of the beer is caused by someone adding too much water to it and making it less tasteful. But, oh, well, a decent beer anyways.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a very pale cloudy yellow color - the description “white” is very appropriate. A snow white head of small bubbles sits lightly on top of the brew until receding to a thin lace. The aroma is citric with noticeable orange and lemon notes. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth with a zesty bite towards the end. Orange and lemon notes from the aroma, along with yeast notes, are quite noticeable on the palate, with the orange tending to come though a bit more in the finish. A touch of spice is also evident, although I can’t pick it up quite as much as I would have expected to. This is definitely a refreshing beer with a fairly light, crisp mouthfeel. I’m drinking it in October, but it seems that it would make a great summer brew.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The perfect beer for a warm summer day. Pours cloudy pale gold with a creamy white head. The aroma is sweet and sour from the blending of wheat and spices. The flavor are smooth and crisp, with a perfect balance of sweetness from the malt and wheat, with orange peel and coriander all in a beer with a decent mouthfeel. This beer is exceptionally drinkable and should be in your regular rotation of summer beers.

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

Picked up in England by a friend. The benchmark "IMO" for the wit beer style. Im not a big fan of yeasty brews but enjoyed thisone much. I poured the bottle into a rather large, oversize Hoegaarden glass, he also brought. It poured a cloudy straw pale color with a carbonated white head. Lace was not a factor. The aroma was of citrus lemon. The taste was fruity with a lite drying hop finish. Clearly the zest of lemon and coriander stand out most. The mouth feels the soft carbonation or foam like texture, left alittle dry. This was more than I expected for a wit, while also living up to what I expected a Hoegaarden to be! Good stuff!

A classic no matter how you slice it. Perhaps the most widely known of the style here in the states and the best selling (ya want to not like it!) as well. But, the bottom line is this is a very nice beer! I love the pale pastel lemon/yellow color and the textbook snow white head. The aromatics are focused and distinctly fresh orange zest and coriander in a very nicely balanced package. The mouthfeel is at once refreshing and cleansing-light to medium bodied. Flavors are very much orange, especially orange zest, and malted wheat. Spice notes trail on the finish and add dimension. This is an amazingly drinkable wit that I will continue to enjoy and look forward to drinking.

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours out a cloudy off-yellow with a very serious head (and I mean big) - well, its a wit. Suddenly no head and hardly any lace at all. Smells of yeast, malt, my wife's bread and some fruit. And like everybody says it is nice and spicey with a serious sense of a mouthful. Don't gulp. Drink and savour and enjoy.

Appearance: like lemonade with a sudsy layer of snow-white head, a few bubbles rising, hazy

Aroma: wheaty, lemony, a bit yeasty, some coriander

Flavor: a gentle malt sweetness followed by a fruity tartness; yeast, orange peel, some coriander, a faint sprinkling of hop flavor, finish is dry but there is a saccharine-lie flavor that emerges in the aftertaste at the back and sides of the tongue; also soem bitterness from the orange peel

Mouthfeel: soft and light bodied, gently prickly carbonation

Overall Impression: Since it is considered the "hallmark" of this style in many circles, I was compelled to give it a 3.0 across the board. It's good. It was better before Interbrew, though (at the risk of sounding trite). I just think there are some other far superior wits out there. Two that readily come to mind are Blanche de Chambly and Wittekerke.

4.02/5  rDev +5%

On tap poured into a Hoegaarden glass. It pours a cloudy light yellow color with two fingers of head. There is a little bit of lace left on the glass. The smell consists of wheat, yeast, and citrus. A Pretty sweet smell. The taste starts with a yeasty wheat and malt flavor with some lemon. The finish is slightly hoppy. The mouthfeel is just a little bit light. The drinkability is very good. A nice solid Wit.

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

This is good beer on tap. Lemon, chalk and orange-peel fluff flavors bring dusty, slightly stony tartness to the finish. Joyous in its simplicity and made for tall, sunlit glasses in the afternoon on 12 mile.
Not willful.
Pretty and crunchy like tissue. Tissue-beer. I'm sure that will enter the tasting lexicon soon: "tissue-beer."

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Not much to add that I didn't mention in my review of the bottled version, but the Hoegaarden arrived from the tap a light, cloudy yellow with a thin head but a nice lace on the side of the glass. Like the bottled version, it was light and bubbly, with mellow tones of wheat, citrus, and coriander. Again, not much to add, except that the draught version is slightly superior all-around to the bottled (though neither in the U.S. can touch the draughts in Belgium).

Again, I love this beer, so forgive me for my gushing.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I ordered this beer on tap at a local bar. It was fairly expensive, but I've heard good things about this beer and I wanted to try it out. It was a light yellow color, as the name might indicate, and was very cloudy. It was served with a lemon wedge, something that annoys me. It tasted like a hefeweizen with a hint of fruit flavor. Very smooth and drinkable, with no after taste. I'd drink more of it if it weren't so expensive. If you ever find it on tap, give it a try.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

A friend brought this over for me to try and this is my favorite
of these white ales I've tried. Yes, its a light ale in some ways but it has a powerful taste
thats not so easy to explain. I've tried tasting bananas and clove
but it works best for me just laying an orange slice or two on
the bottom of a frosty glass and pouring this cloudy brew slowly and its best
for this beer to be really cold, the citrus combination lets the flavor grow as the beer slightly warms over several mins. I let it settle and wow,
this one is hard to beat on a hot summer day.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Now this is definitely a white beer, pours out cloudy, the colour of diluted alfalfa honey. Smell is more subdued than I recall, a light peppery citrus. Sweetish flavour, that peppered citrus once again. This is very drinkable stuff and goes down very easy, I think I just might make it a session beer one night the next decent place I find it on tap. It beats Stella anytime for having a Belgian for a regular.

Very yellow pale color, very hazy. Large head. Aroma is fruity and yeasty. Medium bodied wit beer. Fruity flavor, with oranges, coriander and ginger being the primary flavors. It a mildly sweet, lightly malty and slightly bitter beer. Clean, light and refreshing. Nice beer. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly swe

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

I'd been sampling wit beers lately, and this seemed like a difficult one to pass up. Cool cap & bottle.

Poured a nice light hazey golden, rich carbonation with an uneven head. Aroma was slight and of cider. Taste was also disappointingly mellow. Slight malt, dominating cider taste, though dominating is an awfully strong word to describe the taste with, as it was not an impression maker. Similar sweet, sugary and malty flavor with a candy feeling left on the tongue. Easy to drink and a nice after working beer. Still, not up to the previous Wits I'd tasted.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

This beer pours a cloudy yellow (straw) color with a thick white head that leaves nice lacing on the glass. It was served on tap at the local pub with an orange slice on the rim of the glass. The aroma was very spicy with some fruityness backing it up. The flavor was not as spicy as the aroma would have predicted, but still just spicy enough to make for an interesting drink. There is also a very strong orange taste to notice. I really liked this beer and will have it again many times in the future -- if only it weren't so expensive.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured according to the instructions on the bottle. Nice pale yellow color with fizzy white lasting head, with bubbles snaking their way up from the bottom of the glass. Smell is of orange peel and some lemon zesty-ness with a light yeast aroma. Taste is lively with nice spiciness that you would expect from a great Witbier. Not the same amount of flavour as the top beers in this category, however. Has a nice citrus, orange peel bite on the finish. Very drinkable. This is a great beer especially considering its mass produced nature. I'd love to try this in Belgium!

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

I finally broke down and bought a six pack of Hoegaarden. I had too. It poured a light, cloudy, almost void of what I consider beer color. A nice white lacey head though. My impressions were two fold as I will explain. The first beer was great. Nice hops, almost a wheat like taste. It went down great. I wanted more. Now the rub. It seemed to "weaken" as I drank on, almost begging for a lemon wedge. No, I thought, don't give in to the evil citris wedge. I fought the impulse and paid the price: a bland beer.

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance – Super light, cloudy yellow body with a monster head typical of the style, although it went down quick and didn’t lace at all.

Smell – Yes, there’s yeast in that glass. There’s also a nice malt touch and some light fruit (watermelon, lemon), but mostly bread.

Taste – Nice, light, yeasty taste with some spices that I can’t identify. You won’t need to plop a lemon in this one – it’s already there.

Mouthfeel – Very typical of the style. Moderate to big carbonation on the cheeks, a smooth yeasty feel on the tongue, and a swallow that says, “You just ate dinner.”

Drinkability – Good, sipping bier that you’d find at any gasthause in Germany.

Comments – I know the style is supposed to be light, but this was just a little bit TOO light for me.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

served on tap at "the paragon" restaurant in providence.

this one tasted much different on tap than in bottles. much more carbonated and crispy mouthfeel this time. also, no yeast residue, so it was slightly less spicy. still plenty of great coriander flavor, so no complaints here. a very versatile summer beer that is becoming a staple in trendy restaurants. an all around cool beer.

Not bad. Pours a cloudy faint yellow. Not a big head, but it's there.

Has a spicy aroma, which is rather pleasant. The taste is also slightly spicy, but this time with some citrus and coriander.

Very refreshing. I would say I like the Allagash White more than this one (maybe due to the freshness of it on tap at the GLB). However, this beer is good, and thankfully available at many places, so I will definitely seek it out again. pat

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Appeared like lemonade with a nice head. Got this offering as a 4 pack for my birthday. The smell was citrusy which gave a hint of what the brew would taste like. I admit that drinking this brew on the same night as an IPA was different, so I had to be open minded. The nicely carbonated brew was light and fruity in taste. I had to remember to half pour, swirl the yeast. then pour the rest. The resulting mouthfeel was smooth and light. Drinkability was excellent. One of the best in this category that I have sampled to date.

Hoegaarden Original White Ale from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden