Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hoegaarden Original White Ale - Brouwerij van Hoegaarden

Hoegaarden Original White AleHoegaarden Original White Ale

Brouwerij van Hoegaarden visit their website

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoegaarden Original White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,694 | Hads: 4,774
3.86/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I had some Shock Top Belgian wheat last week (yes, that's how I'm starting this review)
and it inspired me to try the "original" of its style.

Errm, this tasted pretty much on par (or even more lifeless) than the Shock Top.
I was expecting much more from this beer.

None the less, I enjoyed the Shock Top, and I also enjoyed this. Still a good beer.

Did I mention that last week I drank Shock Top?

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a bit of a nostalgic beer for me. I first tried this a few years ago in, of all places, Colstrip, Montana- to my daughter- a synonym for the hottest driest place on earth (though it is far from that it IS sultry in the summer). Anyhow, this stuff was available at the local gas station of all places, and represented a welcome diversion from PBR, Busch and Coors...

A moderate pour into a schooner produces a short, but creamy-looking head overlying a hazy, pale straw with swirling carbonation. Beautiful stuff, really. A definite barnyard funk in the aroma, along with sweet and sour malt flavors, with hops in there somewhere...Crispy finish, velvety mouth feel of froth....lovely on a summer night or almost anytime....Spice characters show themselves, but do not overpower...no soap...no skunk...A little peppery spice, understated lemon and orange, and banana esters...How could you not like this? The texture is awesome with plenty of flavor to keep it interesting. Funky but not REAL funky.

A lovely beer, as far as I'm concerned, and one of those that opened my eyes to the possibilities of a wheat beer. Excellent stuff all around.

2.96/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Not a real fan of coriander or cilantro in my food. Same for beer. This has a good look and mouth feel but I couldn't drink it. I trust the brothers ratings and for most everyone this is probably a good beer. Sorry to say this.

4.86/5  rDev +26.9%

One of my favorite White Ale's. Cloudy look with a great taste. My only issue is that there is barely any head on the beer, which makes it look a little flat when poured.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tried the original whereas there is a locally made version which is a very good reproduction; but for same price as was when imported, I don't think so. When in Korea, you drink this because either there is no better option or you just don't know the taste of the real deal.

1.73/5  rDev -54.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

mild sweetness with a wheat component that persists. the coriander and citrus flavours are less stronger than the aromas. low bitterness with a semi-sweet finish.not my thing

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 16A). Bottle 33 cl - Batch 02222:1319 AROMA: orange and citrusy aromas mixed with coriander. mdoerate sweet wheat background. hop aromas not discernible. APPEARANCE: pale straw color and hazy. average moussy white head with below average retention. TASTE: mild sweetness with a wheat component that persists. the coriander and citrus flavours are less stronger than the aromas. low bitterness with a semi-sweet finish. PALATE: medium-low body with average carbonation. OVERALL: the traditional wit with more subtle flavours than the aromas.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4

11.2 oz bottle, poured into a tulip glass at approximately 45 degrees F.

A: Pours a pale straw, and is amazingly cloudy, to the point that I can scarcely see the shadow of my fingers on the opposite side of the glass. Formed an immense head of white foam, that quickly fell away to a ring and several patchy islands of cap. No lacing to speak of, alas.

S: Fruit and wheat spring out of the glass at first whiff, laden with nigh hefeweizen levels of banana and coriander spice. There's a tang of citrus underlying the primary aromas, and an overall sweetness that beckons to my hop-averse palate.

T: The flavor profile has a definite core of sweet wheat, around which the fruit and spice notes are wrapped. Citrus notes abound through the beer, ranging from orange to mandarin and clementine, and the spice tones include coriander and just a hint of clove. Tinges of white pepper waft through the background, and a faint whisper of banana skulks about the shadows of the ester flavors.

M: Rather thin and watery, moreso than expected for the level of cloudiness in the glass. While I'd expect most any wheat beer to be light-bodied, this beer lends itself to a quick flash of flavor across the palate, and then a lingering watery aftertime.

O: For a witbier available at my local grocery store for a reasonable price, this is quite tasty. A little more strength in the body, and I'd call it a regular.

3.54/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: a standard 330mL brown bottle with a stylish macro label.

Appearance: pours out a strong cloudy yellow with a half-inch of white head that drops to a thin cap. Plenty of lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma: some citrus and spices accompanying Belgian yeast and light wheat.

Taste: pretty much follows the nose - a decent macro-orientated Belgian witbier. Citrus and wheat take the fore here.

Aftertaste: the wheat and yeast last the distance beyond the citrus and spice.

Mouth feel: lighter to moderate in feel with a moderate carbonation. A touch dry on the finish.

Overall: a decent and very drinkable Belgian macro witbier. A reasonable price at AU$58 a case of 24 x 330mL also. I'll definitely have it as funds permit.

4.24/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass:

Appearance: A cloudy, heavily tinted, yellow-gold with a one-finger white head, leaving some lacing on the edge of the glass.

Aroma: A strong wheat/citrus smell with just a bare hint of cloves on the back end.

Taste: Definitely a wheat beer with strong citrus tones and a nice, solid, yeasty crisp aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and even sultry, with a little carbonation on the tongue. Medium body.

Overall: I felt compelled to try this after a reviewer on this site claimed that once you've had one, you never go back. well, that might be overstating the case, but this beer is not bad. I really like Franziskaner, and therefore I think I admire the yeastiness of this one too. I am not sorry I bought it. I'll probably get it again: a good addition to the growing fridge collection.

02/24/13 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. This is a solid, consistent brew that I use to build on, a la "The Dirty Hoe" (w/ a splash of Framboise) or as a session filler. If I'm drinking too much too fast I'll call for a Hoe, dirty or otherwise.

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Silky white yellow colour with hints of orange and head of two fingers which dissipates fast. The smell is classic of the style with Belgian yeast, coriander and lemon zest on top, plus some spices and skunk on the background. There is some sweetness in the taste with orange juice, coriander, pepper and yeast on top. The mouthfeel is smooth and a bit sirupy, but the sweetness is balanced as it dries up because of the yeast and citric flavours, which add a kind of sharpness.

An ok beer that i would have again if nothing better available. It made a good thirst quencher in Singapore back in the days, when it was this or Tiger beer. Tasty and has some character, but still not near as exciting as Blanche de Namur or Blanche de Bruxelles, which remain on top of the style in my opinion.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

A - Color is of pale yellow straw. Hazy. Pours a nice frothy head.

T - Bananas up front, a long with spices, and a weak hint of raisins. A bit of bubblegum. Some malt notes of white loaf in the background. Orange is subtle and melds nicely in with the other aromas.

S - The fruitiness is pronounced, and just not too dominating. Taking some air with a sip the coriander comes through more. Finish is dry, which balances nicely up against the sweetness of the fruity esters.

M - Light body, with a smooth creaminess. Medium high carbonation. Suits the beer well.

O - A nice wit. I like the use of coriander and orange peel, which is perfectly blended into the rest of the beer. For me the banana and bubblegum are just slightly too pronounced, nevertheless an awesome beer.

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

By far the best Belgian White I've had. Not only could you distinctly smell the coriander and orange peel, but it mixed well with the wheat and barely unlike any other. Mouthfeel was smooth and crisp and it had a great citrusy taste that I found very appealing.

A little too much spices for me, but better than OB or Cass when in Korea. I know this is not from Korea, but a lot of bars have Hoegaarden for some reason.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

I have had this beer extensively along with other premium beers from the old country.

I give this beer a 4.5 for its overall good taste, creamy effect and reasonable head with does dissipate so I can get to the beer.

Cheers, Prot and happy Oktoberfest to all.

3.6/5  rDev -6%

Hoegaarden does some good Belgian beers for a large-scale brewery, and this is the most common one you'll find in bars and restaurants. It's a witbier, and it's pretty middle of the road for its kind, though certainly many have tried to copy it over the years because of its success. I think some of the local craft brews in the US have improved upon the original though.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

It was just to know something so celebrated... I liked the taste of cloves that was in his mouth, but I prefer other... appreciated with tilapia fillets!

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%

The aroma gives off a good deal of clove, sour yeastiness, vanilla, and a spicy, peppery quality that makes tomato soup come to mind. The head is large, white, and frothy; the body is turbid and straw colored. Much like the aroma, the flavor has a sour yeasty quality, clove, and vanilla, along with that garden vegetable spiciness. Mouthfeel is crisp and dry with a medium-light body and restrained carbonation.

The vanilla and clove qualities make it taste a bit like a crisp, dry hefeweizen. The spicy, peppery qualities are thankfully mild, making this one pretty balanced and refreshing.

Beer typical of Belgium weizen bier. Slight fruity, banana taste but not overwhelming. Great head and smooth taste served with a wedge of lemon (not orange) in a true tall Weizen bier glass.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

12oz bottle, best by 4/20/2015. Consumed 8/31/2014.

A- Hazy straw yellow body. Cloudy with a big fluffy head with good retention time and bunches of lacing. [3.75]

S- Coriander, wheat, slight tartness and yeast. Nothing too complicated but better than your run of the mill wheat beer. [3.25]

F- Clean, crisp wheat, coriander, lemon, other spices, Belgian yeast. Very easy to drink. Different flavour profile than most other beers I've had lately, which is nice. [3.75]

M- On the thinner side but seems about right. Flavourful, well carbonated with a slight fruity yeast aftertaste. Easy to drink. [3.5]

O- Solid witbier, probably the best mass-marketed one out there. It drinks well, no off-flavours and is executed solidly with the extra spices. Works well for me. [3.75]

Final score: 3.625

4.37/5  rDev +14.1%

I saw a lots of good review about that beer so why not give it a try.

Very nice color. lots of carbonation a very nice look to it.

The smell is like banana or orange but I will say more like banana a little bit of citrus behind.

Very nice easy drinking definitely lots of carbonation.
U can feel the orange and the citrus behind after u taste it. Not bad at all.
If u are in North America is an alternative to all that Budweiser Molson or Coors Light if u are whiling to spend some extra money.

So overall would I recommend it ? I definitely recommend for Summer or Autumn.
Give it a try if u haven t tried it. U won t be disappointed.

Poured from a bottle, hazy light yellow with fluffy white head and good lacing. Streams of tiny bubbles.

Aroma is banana, spicy cloves and citrus. Honey. Minimal hop aroma.

Taste is cloves, orange and coriander with clean, sweet malt backbone low hops and bitterness and clean, relatively dry finish.

Creamy mouthfeel with high carbonation and light body.

Overall a well-balanced, refreshing wheat beer. Prominent but well-balanced fruit and spices.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Pale, hazy yellow liquid in my wiezen glass, with an enormous, white, rocky head that takes forever to settle down to where I can actually drink it. Faint scents of coriander and clove fill my nose with similar flavors on my tongue accompanied by just the barest hint of banana bread. A little bit of orange peel makes itself known on the back of my tongue. Creamy, medium bodied. Not bad for the style, but there's much better out there.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Had in a 75cl bottle (on numerous occasions recently):

It's easy to look for ways to mark this beer down because you kind of want to because it's so well known and common but, being totally fair and honest, it is an excellent wheat beer. The head is fluffy white, the colour is exactly what you would like to see in a wheat beer - cloudy and golden with streams of bubbles - and the smell and taste is smooth, inviting and rewarding. I imagine I could sit and drink this one after another until I fell over and enjoy every minute of it. It's a really delicious and enjoyable beer that's accessible for almost everyone. It's both an easy entry beer and a beer you'll want to return to.

Hoegaarden Original White Ale from Brouwerij van Hoegaarden