Fisherman's Greenhorn Double IPA - Cape Ann Brewing Company

Fisherman's Greenhorn Double IPA
No picture uploaded.

Cape Ann Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: pnkermiz on 02-21-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by madtowndmb1:
4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

I had this on-tap at the brewery and loved it! It poured darker than normal, more towards a caramel color. The nose was more malty than I expected, but had the citrus and floral hop smells in there too. When I walked into the brewery they had this listed at 120 IBU's, so I was expecting a one and done beer. I was wrong! Very tasty without being too much, very grassy I thought, which was nice in my opinion. Lots of hop flavor without much bite. I had atleast 2, not sure after that ;)

A very drinkable DIPA, worth searching out for a taste!

madtowndmb1, Apr 27, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

Trashcat, Yesterday at 04:20 PM

chenieprudhomme, Dec 04, 2011

trevorpost, Oct 12, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

I had this poured for me last night at the Boston Winter Jubilee. Although I typically frown on reviewing a beer tasted at a beer fest, I feel compelled to share my review of just this one...

Smell/Appearance: Having begun the night with a DFH 90, minute I had set an admittedly high standard for this style of beer. After sipping a number of other IIPAs, however, I was beginning to get pretty downtrodden with the belief nothing else could satisfy my piqued hop craving. But one whiff and I knew this brew was the answer. Strong, spicy, aromatic citrus emanated from the small pour of golden-amber elixir.

Taste/Mouthfeel: After a small sample I turned and offered my brother a sip, barely able to hold back a tear. The taste is terrific -- spicy, robust, and sure to satiate any hop-head. The mouthfeel was also notably light (er, relatively) and didn't have quite such a syrupy quality as characterizes other inferior examples of the style. True to its hearty gloucester roots, this offering from Cape Ann is certainly not for the faint of heart -- but for fans of the DIPA it's a must try!

GregPearson33, Jan 16, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -10.7%

On gravity cask @ barcade

Served in a 10oz wine glass. Pours a dark ruby color, no carbonation or head obviously, very little lacing. Smell is of grapefruit and malts, very boozy This is def. a sipping beer, feels more than 9% advertised ABV. The hops are not as upfront or aggressive as from some other DIPAs, very malty, sweet body. Would like to try this from a regular tap to get a better feel for this beer

bonbini26, Nov 16, 2008

DrBier, Jul 25, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

ColdOneKev, Oct 13, 2013

Aexoonge, Mar 19, 2012

IcemanCometh, Sep 25, 2013

Bilco, Nov 28, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

On-tap 12/12/2010 at Doherty's East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a light brown color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains hops a lot of fruity citrus along with some caramelized malts and a decent amount of hops but a weak amount for the style.

T: The taste starts out sweet with strong flavors of citrus and caramel. Then a hearty malt character comes in. The hops presence is strong but not 2IPA-strong and there isn't much balance. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, strong kick, decent representation of style, not the best 2IPA and a no more than decent beer overall.

TheManiacalOne, Dec 13, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

IHC, Feb 25, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Greenhorn pours a clear, bronze color with a thin, creamy white head on top. The foam dissolves quickly leaving behind a thin line of lace on the glass.

The hoppy aroma has nice citrus notes of orange and grapefruit. There's a touch of sweet fruit in there too. The aroma wasn't as strong as I thought it would be.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is slightly chewy, smooth with a mild carbonated fizz on the tip of the tongue. The flavor begins with orange citrus and lemon zest. A little bit of peppery spice is present. In the middle caramel malt sweetness and a little peach fruit move in. It finishes dry and bitter. Once gone the pepper and grapefruit citrus lingers on the palate.

This is the beer I always ask for when I go to the Cape Ann Brewery pub. It's great on tap, very drinkable and goes great with a burger.

WanderingFool, Jan 16, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -2%

On tap at Max's during American Craft Brew week. Seems a bit odd that I'm the first to review this beer.

The beer pours a veritable tea color with minimal head retention and lacing. The nose is likewise pretty light, though I do get a whiff of sweet malt and underlying citrus. On the palate this is a very nice, easy going DIPA. Hops are not very prominent, but they do sneak up on you as you drink more and more of it. The beer otherwise has moderate sweetness, which is dominated by hoppy bitterness in the finish. The beer is medium bodied and really seems pretty drinkable for its 9% abv. Except for the warming feeling one gets, there is nothing in this beer that would lead you to believe the abv. is so high.

An intriguing beer, and one I liked more and more as it sat in my glass. There are melon and apple flavors, which in the end tend to be dominated by the citrusy hops. A nice beer, but not what I typically think of as a DIPA.

John_M, May 13, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

One of the smoothest Double IPA's on the planet! Drank from a Goblet at the Cape Ann Brewery. Shared a pitcher + with friends. Has a deeper darker appearance than most, with a golden brown and burgundy mix. Light white head dissipates. Definitely some malt in the nose and the traditional hoppiness that is simcoe. This is a malt and hop bomb with great balance, full body and little to no bitterness. A smooth sipper with high drinkability. We could drink these all night! Maybe we did?

I wish they would bottle this one!

jstilwell, Apr 10, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a growler into my DFH snifter.

A: Pours copper in color with a slight tint of amber/red. Not much head going on here, very thin and quickly dissipates into a thin ring.

S: Has a nice scent of citrus and floral hops, not too strong. Smells like there are definitely some grapefruit notes in the nose for sure.

T: Taste is much like the smell, has some serious grapefruit characteristics which are followed by some caramel malts and finishes bitter.

M: Medium bodied with average carbonation.

D: Pretty smooth given that it's 9% ABV, maybe a little too much citrus for my liking but overall this is a good example of a DIPA.

mavbrew, Nov 27, 2010

bdoggboston, Feb 12, 2012
3.95/5  rDev -2%

I grabbed a growler of this the other day and cracked it four day's later.
Poured into a Weizen glass it had a minimal white head that settled to a sparse lace. The body of the brew was a clear copper in color with some red hints to it.

The aroma of hopes is very present I could tell there was some simcoe in it. Nice and floral very pleasant in the nose department. Flavor wise this is a very well balanced brew. There is enough hops bitter to know it is an IPA but with enough malt sweetness to make it easy to drink and at 9% it maybe dangerous. The brew had a medium feel in the mouth a little syrupy with the lack of carbonation. I will say that maybe it is the growler the sample I had on tap was more carbonated.

This is a good brew from a little underrated brewery. I will defiantly head back to pick up a few more of their offerings

joepais, Mar 28, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Hard to follow up the detailed review by Gambrinus but for the record here's my quick summary; A bit hazy with a solid orange amber color. The head is decent size but dissipates a bit with good lacing. The aroma is a solid tangerine sweetness with sourdough legs. Unusual as DIPA's go but intriguing. The flavor is a sweet orange bread with a mild flowery hop tang. It's not your typical DIPA but not necessarily disappointing from a drinking standpoint. Goes down surprisingly quick for the ABV while missing any of the earthy malt I normally expect. But it's enjoyable if not great. Well worth a visit with revisits hard to avoid.

Durge, May 05, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a growler. This brew is always my go-to when at the Cape Ann Brew Pub - it pains me when they run out. Rumors of bottling this into 22's have been around all summer but I believe the hop shortage has delayed that for the time being. I would love to have this on hand w/o having to drive to Gloucester for re-fill of my growler. At the same time - it's most certainly worth the drive!!!

A = beautiful chestnut colored beer. Bronze but nNearly red in some light. Very thin white head w/ tiny bubbles. a very attractive looking beer!

S = sweet, fragrant notes. strong hints of grapefruit, hops and a faint malt presence on the nose.

T = Not the hop flavor you would expect - this one has much more a maltness flavor than most DIPA's. It has a clean crisp finish and has what I call a bright taste. Notes is citrus and grapefruits from the nose come through in the taste as well.

M = Hard to say here - much more thin than anticipated. It is silky and is highly inviting given the high ABV.

O = I have enjoyed this beer for nearly 2 years now - it's been fun to finally review it. The guys at Cape Ann have this really dialed in right now and each batch is consistent and delish.

Cheers ~ !

ICCULIS, Aug 01, 2011

MA08, Nov 28, 2011

jbertsch, Jan 03, 2012

AJ01923, Jan 24, 2014
4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

A-This beer is a standard DIPA color. One finger of off white head. Not too hazed. Head retains well. Mild lacing.

S-Plenty of citrus and sweet malts. A nice fragrance. Not overly intense but it does display most of the notes one usually desires in the style. Booze hidden very well.

T-Again quite citrusy. I actually found this pretty tasty. Orange flesh and grapefruits. Medium bitterness. Big dose of caramel maltiness. Booze a bit more evident on the palate. But overall, I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.

M-Larger bodied. Medium carbonation. Slick. Not too resinous. Alcohol is drying.

O/D-Pretty solid DIPA from Mass. I enjoyed how citrusy this beer was. Would probably order this again if I came across it.

VelvetExtract, Feb 10, 2012