Dead Eye Double IPA - Cape Ann Brewing Company

Dead Eye Double IPA
No picture uploaded.

Cape Ann Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: CliffBrake on 03-03-2012)
4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Nice think amber. Small head. comes in 16oz can :)
Good hops. Some aftertaste

2.9/5  rDev -31.1%

Too sweet, heavy on caramel malts, the hop profile isn't as clean as it should be. Alcohol very present in the taste. Okay at best.

4.26/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

4.24/5  rDev +0.7%

3.56/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cheers to Bilco for giving me a can

Consumed 12/10/14

A: Lightly hazy, burnt orange with some amber at its core and some golden apricot clarity around the edges - pours with a medium sized, off-white head, fades to a wispy cap, keeps a small collar and leaves some nice lacing

S: Citrus, fruit juice, and resin - decidedly potent and aggressive, kind of noisy with some big aromas - orange and grapefruit juice, flesh, and a ton of citrus zest and pith - herbal, with some pine needles, and some sticky, hoppy resin - candied oranges - fruity juiciness, vaguely tropical but nothing really stands out other than some mango - kind of spicy with alcohol that is somewhat obvious - some caramel malts and sugar at the base

T: Big, burly citrus - interesting combination of lovely hops (Nugget, Cascade, Citra), but it mostly tastes like a punch of citrus to the face - orange and grapefruit juice, flesh, and zest - oily, sticky, bitter pith - floral and herbal, with some pine and some sticky resinous qualities - sweeter than average caramel and light amber malts- candied oranges dipped in alcohol - earthy and spicy finish - more sweetness and more booze, finishes with lingering pith, bitterness, and booze

M: On the heavy side of medium, lightly sticky, nice carbonation but kind of a rough finish with booze

O: Definitely smells better than a dead tooth

Perhaps I am becoming absurd with my standards for DIPAs, or maybe I have just been spoiled with an abundance of top-tier examples of this style... But this is not what I'm looking for. I've had many like this. It's a complete hop bomb without any nuance. There's nothing wrong with that, actually. The reason I'm not a huge fan is that it's overly sweet and overly alcoholic in a way that this kind of tastes like orange cold medicine.

4.64/5  rDev +10.2%

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

2.5/5  rDev -40.6%

Based on the other reviews I must have gotten a bad batch. It was the first canning run received in newburyport MA that I know of. Anyway, I'm having a very hard time putting one of these down. I will finish the one I just opened but the others are destined for the drain. Awful. Edit: Fucking awful

2.9/5  rDev -31.1%

3.76/5  rDev -10.7%

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

3.12/5  rDev -25.9%

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

! Pick up a 4 pack, it's an outstanding representation, smells, pours, and satisfied my bitterness craving. So fresh, less then a week old. And I live in Clinton. Great DIPA, thanks Cape Anne Brewery!!

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

A - Amber orange, hazy, off white vanilla colored head.

S - spiced oranges and pine are the main players here with some citrusy lemon in the background.

T - spices, oranges, tropical fruit, pine with a longer bitter finish as with that of many DIPAs.

M - spicy, hoppy bitter burst, strong carbonation lingering hoppy orange bitter finish.

O - This is a pretty good DIPA and nice that the brewery is 20 minutes from my house so I know the limited supply is hitting the local stores fresh. 4 pack pint cans too! Let's call it how it is though.....this was overhyped and overrated from the get go. I like it but there are plenty of other DIPAs that are readily available that I'd rather drink. Still a pretty good beer.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

4.09/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I used to love these guys. Their pumpkin porter was great back in the day, and they made solid base beers. Kinda lost touch with their beers, and they haven't had anything new in a while, so I'm excited for this one. I actually picked it up today, and had to skip the queue of other beers to try this one. No date on the can unfortunately, but I know it's fresh since it just came out. And YAY tall boy cans!

Pours darker than I expected, a reddish amber color with a rosy hue, very clear though, nice bubbles streaming up to reinforce the huge 2+ finger creamy fluffy head that doesn't seem to fade thanks to those streaming bubbles, but leaves a pot marked head and soapy lacing when it does.

Nose explodes out of the gate, nice hops but not what I expected, quite fruity but not really tropical or citrus, well I take that back, not really citrus but some tropical notes, a little guava and pineapple, a bit of a generic American like fruit, perhaps a little stone fruit. It eventually develops a mild clementine citrus, and candied orange note, with a decent sweet malt base and a hint of alcohol tingling the nose. Lots of fresh pungent hops that also get a little floral and grassy.

Taste brings candy malts out front, sweet reddish toasty malts, with a little caramel note, and touch syrupy, pretty sweet though, with even a little nougat like flavor. Spicy hops cut through quickly, some spiciness that mixes with a little fruity flavors, citrus peel notes, candied orange zest, a mild apricot and pineapple like fruits too. Hops get quite bitter and spicy, as well as a bit earthy and herbal, and malts continue to bash with sweet reddish malts. Finish continues with the sweetness but attempts to dry a bit, as it does a big spicy earthy herbal hop kicks my taste buds around, as well as the candy malts, and a little booze warmth and even some tingle later.

Mouth is med to heavier bod, a little syrupy, thick malt, with nice carbonation at least.

Overall... well I wanted to like it, the nose was pretty nice but def far from great, but the flavor just fell short. Way too much on the sweet candy malts, way too spicy earthy hop bitterness for a nice DIPA, somewhat balanced but the balance seems like it's teetering on just both sides of the see-saw breaking and falling. Booze comes though a bit, it's OK ... actually I take that back... the more I sip this the more it hits that DIPA niche. There are times when I have a craving for a big DIPA, malty sweet with big spicy bitter hops, mostly in the winter time too, so I could def find times when this would hit the spot. So I'll bump the taste and overall from 3.75 to 4s.

Dead Eye Double IPA from Cape Ann Brewing Company