Antler Brown Ale - Barley Creek Brewing Company

Antler Brown AleAntler Brown Ale

Barley Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Brown Ale |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-05-2002)
Reviews by JeanPaulValley:
1.63/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Pours a translucent brown with very minimal head. Very weak, extremely dry taste (my friend thought I was crazy, but I honestly felt like it tasted like chalk dust) Mouthfeel was exactly as water. I was severely disappointed in this beer, as I usually like Brown Ales. I'm wondering if maybe I just tasted from a bad keg.

JeanPaulValley, Feb 27, 2013
3.15/5  rDev +4%

Appears a ruby amber brown tone with a large creamy tan head leaves lush amounts of lacing down my glass. Aroma has semi sweet fruit notes with toasty mild sweet nut edges and noticeable hop tones coming through. Flavor has semi sweet plum and caramel malt notes with a nutty creamy edge in the finish definitely has some hopage to it. Mouthfeel is medium to lighter bodied creamy with minimal residual sugars coming through. Drinkability is okay even though this brew retains some sugariness that I could do without overall not a bad homebrew.

WVbeergeek, Aug 29, 2006
3.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle purchased from Capone's in Norristown, PA.

Pours a hazy brown color with a wispy layer of bubbles on top that soon recedes into almost nothing around the rim of the glass. No lacing.

Smells of roasted malts with a bit of sweet toastiness and coffee. Once it warms just a bit good amounts of tart fruits begin coming out, but the nose remains strongly in the malt camp.

I wish I could say the same for the taste. Toasted malt flavors scurry away almost instantaneously to make room for tart and acidic fruit flavors that are very out of place and an almost salty flavor lingers on the palate after the bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's got a decent thickness however the carbonation (despite the lack of head) is on the heavy side.

Drinkability is not good. This beer tasted less and less like a brown as it warmed and I didn't end up finishing it.

Overall I was let down by this beer. I hope this was a bad batch but I won't have another to find out.

glid02, Jan 15, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +23.8%

JMS1512, Jun 04, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -25.7%

They got the color right, it's brown as brown can be, on the lighter side but nice looking caramel and a foamy head that retains for a good few minutes before dying down. Those damn floaters are in here again, just as most of their other beers.

Aroma-wise it's all malt, quite nice and fresh-smelling, a slightly tart fruitiness in the background but, yeah, this is all about the malt.

Flavor-wise, I am yet again disappointed by the infected, tangy element to this brewery's beers. After reading others' reviews and sampling several of their batches, I'm confident this is not a skunked or expired bottle. It's just the way it is. The malt peeks its way through the sourness, but what kind of hops are they using here? Is SweetTarts now growing hops? The mouthfeel is average, but it's backing up a beer I can't stand having in my mouth.

This would be a drinkable but disappointing homebrew--it's got no business being marketed and sold commercially.

Utterly disappointing, the worst I've had yet from this brewery. They should go read a few Charlie Papazian books and try again.

Metalmonk, Jul 03, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -20.1%

On-tap at the Tally-Ho in Bethlehem.

Well it looked cute enough with the antler tap handle and dark brown body. The aroma didn't give much away and just smelled like dark, sweet grains. The flavor started with cocoa malt, but quickly dived into a fruity mess that reminded me of Juicy Juice, and not in a good way. The juice was matched with a rough astringent flavor I'd expect out of a economy macro lager. Would not recommend this one.

tempest, Jan 26, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a light tan head over clear ruby/brown liquid. Nose is roasted malt with chocolate notes. Taste is somewhat tangy, with some dryness from the roasted grains, some strictly bitter hoppiness...nothing flowery/fresh in that area. Finshes slighly sweet with a light chocolate/caramel end. Nicely made, but nothing to write home about.

beerluvr, Dec 15, 2002
2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

So, I'm sitting at the bar at Great Wolf Lodge...and there's a craft beer available....how psyched am I. Wait hold on, I'm half way through my draft and I'm realizing that this beer sucks. Brown water, head completely gone, absolutely NO nose whatsoever and I guess it tastes like something akin to beer. Damn good thing I brought two growlers of Captain Lawrence to keep me company as the kids frolic in the water park from hell....

Ralphs66, Apr 28, 2011
3.03/5  rDev 0%

A: Poured a dark amber with a medium size rocky light tan head.

S: deep chocolate flavor, roasted malt, and some dried cherries.

T: For flavor there was chocolate, roasted grains and a fresh nuttiness. Was not particularly balanced well as the flavor were rough around the edge.

M: creamy but a little thin, light bodied with light-medium carbonation.

D: Drinkability was fair-moderate as the body was light as well the flavor.

beerthulhu, Feb 26, 2008

Goldndomer, Feb 10, 2014

Shennan20, Jul 11, 2014
3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

This one from Barley Creek pours a nice semi-clody amber-brown colour with a medium sized head that hangs out for a while but when it fades leaves no residue whatsoever.

The aroma consists of a bit of earthy malt, some chocolate and caramel with a bit of mustiness as well. Hop notes were barely noticeable.

The flavour is basically more of the same, with malt far and away dominating any hop flavour. The mustiness is still there along with a bit of a tart fruit flavour at the finish, and earthy malt hits the palate throughout.

Mouthfeel here is alright. Sometimes its nice and crisp and sometimes there's a bit of slickenss to it.

Overall, this is a modest yet somewhat flavourful brown ale. It's tasty at times and mediocre at times.

SixpointJMH, Apr 15, 2006
3.05/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Tea brown, with a fizzy and short lived head. A little trimming of lace left behind.

S: Sweet maltiness, a nice toasting, a slight nuttiness that makes for a pleasant aroma

T + M: Taste is unfortunately not as pleasant. Quite a watered down maltiness - mouthfeel is rather watery, as well. Slight roasted nut flavour, but almost ignorable, really.

D: If it were a little richer, it would be a decent session brew. If looking for a swigger, it could be a candidate, but there are better out there.

Proteus93, Jul 30, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours into the bottle ok but I notice some sediment flowing out of the bottle towards the end. It's not yeast either...looks like unfiltered pieces of hops. Other than that, looks like a brown ale with a small white head and high carbonation. Smells slightly sweet but nothing is really detectible outside of a slight sweetness. Taste is average at best. This isn't the same beer that I've had on tap. The bottle loses that big bold head and malty backbone aroma that I've had from a draft. It's ok in the mouth but a tad watered down. Finishes slightly better than a macro produced brew. I would only get this again if someone else was buying, or if it was on draft.

Not so good, Al.

weeare138, Apr 07, 2005

JohneHoodlum, Dec 07, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -4.3%

This brew poured a cloudy brown with a nice head a a strong malt aroma. Immediately the hints of tangy buttery malt with some caramelization came through, but were offset by a sour note. The mouthfeel was lacking and suffered because of the sour aftertaste, and without any real hop presence, there was no balance to bring the brew full circle. Somewhat disappointed after hearing so much about the brown ale, but still a good effort.

kernalklink, Nov 06, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -17.5%

crowsnest, Dec 08, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -17.5%

I defiantly prefer this On-tap!
I have only had this bottle about three weeks from the brewery. It has been in my fridge the entire time but it tastes a bit stale like it oxidized a little. A friend of mine said that most barley creek beers do better on tap. Whether that is true or not I don't know but this one in a real disappointment. The aftertaste is **VERY** harsh metallic taste that almost leaves the feeling that i just came from the dentist. And I really liked the beer when I was there at Barley Creek. Maybe I mistreated the beer on the trip home; but this is just my one experience.
Read my review of the beer on-tap below ->

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jun 22, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Served in a standard shaker/pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: The beer is a clear, dark brown color with a ¼" light tan head that recedes soon and leaves little lacing upon sipping.

Smell: The aroma is soft and faint but nice with some sweet toasted malt and hints of nuttiness.

Taste: The flavor has a toasted caramel/toffee malt sweetness, some nuttiness and no real hop presence detectable.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thin and light bodied but soft with moderate carbonation. The finish is short and lightly sweet.

Drinkability: I finished this but would not order another. I found it lacking in complexity and overly sweet. I think I prefer a touch more hops in an English Brown Ale even if detectable only in the finish.

drtth, May 13, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +24.8%

This beer came a clear, darker brown that faded towards the side of my stupid, white plastic fest cup. Obscuring my vision was a sustained, oaky film.

Smelled of sweet, pasty malts, and a bit of molasses with a hint of lime.

Tasted big and sweet, but not in a bad way as it was a clean sweetness. There was a big sweet caramel and brown sugar with a little sour cherry towards the end. Finished with a pleasantly odd snap of slightly sour milk.

The mouth feel was light and smooth with a sparse, small bubble carbonation.

I really liked how sweet this was, paired with how smooth and clean it was. Also, I’m a sucker for caramel in beer, and this took care of that craving pretty well. The sourness blended into the sweet was an impressive balancing act to say the very least.

DarkerTheBetter, Jun 26, 2006
2.58/5  rDev -14.9%

Single, short, fat, 12 oz bottle purchased from The Palisade Liquor Store in Jersey City...
Pours a deep, dark, ruby-red, mahogany brown hue with hardly any head and very minimal lacing...
Faint, nut-brown aroma with hints of malts...
Grain-dominated flavor with a strong malt-backbone, although I found the flavor to be less than average and not at all assertive...
Wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this one...

dsa7783, Jul 27, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Got this one at a pretty shit-tastic bar, so it was a nice surprise. Nose was a little nutty, standard brown-ale. Some sweet caramel malt. Taste is likewise, just at ouch of spices (seriously, a touch), and again those nuts and sweet malt. Tasty beer. Mouth isn't too great, very watery and thin-bodied (although I seem to be noticing this a lot with browns...is this the style?). Overall though, one I could drink a bunch of...browns aren't my favorite, but not too shabby.

soupyman10, Apr 14, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +28.7%

A really good brown ale with an intense roasted caramel flavor that dominates. little or no bitterness. Highly drinkable. My wife actuallt stopped to get me this on her way back from the Poconos. I also checked out the web site and found their food menu to be a bit high in the price department so be warned if you stop. However, the beer was relatively cheap; wife paid $8 for a variety 6-pack.

AtlasBrew, Jul 31, 2009

IPAchris, Jan 20, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had this one on tap.

Poured a clear dark brown color with an averaged sized white head. Aromas of nuts and malts. Tastes of nuts and somewhat grainy. Body a little thin and watery. Unfortunately, this one really didn't do much for me.

Notes from 10/23/04.