Tooheys Extra Dry - Tooheys Brewing

Australia

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 05-08-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

why would you want to make a beer like tooheys new even dryer? thats essentially what this is.

CUB and tooheys beers have a dryness that to me is the equivalent of having shattered glass in there, and this is like someone smashed a whole window in it. so incredibly cloying and raspy in its mouthfeel, its like the bitterness is trying to scrape the already unaccpetable flavor from the lining of your throat. what annoys me too is t hey make it like this is a step up in quality. what a joke!

the ad here for this beer has a guys tongue leaving his mouth and going walkabout looking for a bottle of this. all i can say is if i woke to find my tongue could get its own beer, and it had brought me a tooheys dry, id be seriously thinking about gagging myself, introducing it to a razor blade or telling it.to piss off till it brought me a decent brew. unforgettable in its mediocrity. (889 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -36.7%

Bought a 6 of this, comes in clear bottles with a green label, 5% listed as the import abv. Inspiring little nuggets of advice to be found under the caps such as:
-"Get a hot band to play at your favorite bar"
-"Go diving with sharks on the barrier reef"
-"Grab your boardies and your mates and go on a surfing safari"
And then the enigmatic "$25,000 in a day - How good is that!"
Charming. So I would take it that the ad campaigns for this in Australia would pander to the mindless troglodyte masses, akin to the Bud and Molsen commercials here in N. America.

Still, this stuff isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. Pours out a clear light gold, a decent amount of head on it for a lager of questionable origins and unknown adjuncts. There's a light sweet bready malt to it before it gets overwhelmed by a flat blandness that tries its damndest to mask out the cooked veggie aroma of cheap ingredients. The flavour is quite dry, grains up front, and what I would assume resembles some sort of bitter herbally hops on the finish. After a while the aftertaste becomes oppressive and rank, like day-old boiled cabbage. Okay, I take it back, this stuff is as bad as I thought it would be. The mouthfeel is smooth enough for a lager that is intended to be chugged back. And chugged back ice cold from the bottle I would assume. The enigmatic $25,000 in a day becomes more clear when I read the back of the label through the bottle advertising Toohey's Big Day Out contest. Yeah, you're definitely going to need incentive like that to get people to buy this sort of stuff on a regular basis. If you see this stuff on the shelves as an import, pass it by. As for the Aussies, they already know how bad this stuff is. (1,726 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -33.5%

A - Light yellow straw with a decent macro white head. Clear body, a few strands of lace.

S - Not much going on here, typical macro lager smell, like a pub in the morning.

T - Pretty flavourless with the most prominent characteristic being old coins.

M - Light, thin and fizzy.

O - Pass. (291 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

whoa, new depths. somehow this brew reminds me in smell and taste of burnt fireworks. Cant exactly pin it down except to say that's what comes to mind. To go much further is pointless. Now here's where the requirements to write more are redundant. Nobody wants to read it, there's nothing more that adds to the story, hopefully this doesn't aggrandize the narrative. (366 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Not a good beer; nothing special. It is over carbonated and a lack of body, metallic - egg smell, and citrus aroma with a very very vague malt flavor,. The strong metallic twang seems to alter the mouthfeel. Pretty bad if I have to be honest.
I would not order or buy another. (276 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -30.2%

When I came to write a review I read Kulrak of Townsville and he had already written what I was going to say.
It is a nice golden colour ,but what colour should an extra dry be ?
Label 3/10
It is bland but in offensive and has thirst qhenching qualities only (261 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -29%

Drank from my Duvel Tulip

A - Pours a clear golden colour with a decent white head that hangs around.

S - A little metallic aroma, but nothing else.

T - Crisp and bitter witha little citrus malt and I mean a little. Pretty bad really.

M - Over carbonated and light to medium body.

D - I can see why this appeals to the average beer punter in OZ. It's overcarbonated and tastless. Perfect for the 18 year old with a V8 ute. (427 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours golden amber with a large head that slowly fades.
Nose shows cooked vegetables with hints of banana and some grainy malt.
Very similar flavours with the addition of stale cereal-like malt. Not too offensive.
Body is quite watery, moderate carbonation. (257 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Served a light golden color with a decent head that fades to some lacing.

S: Aroma is quite mild. Light citrus aroma with a bit of grain.

T: Taste is pretty bland with just a trace of malt sweetness. There is not real bitterness and a dry finish.

F: Light body, mild crispness and not much else. Quite boring really.

O: This makes for a good entry level beer. Best served ice cold on a hot day. (401 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -10.2%

i've been avoiding this on sheer principle. the commercials are good, so the beer must be bad ;)

the usual clear pale yellow look with med-high carbonation and larger than average bubbles. head is sickly looking white. kind of like its trying to eat itself to surivive.

sweet adjunct aroma. not much that can be recognized as malt or hops.

well, clean and crisp (as it says on the bottle) it is i suppose. not much there to slow your drinking. slight sweetness with little to no bitterness. would go down pretty quick cold and from the bottle. (554 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -7.8%

One of those days where I find myself at a cafe where the 'special' - i.e. the only affordable item - comes with a bundled bottle of joy - Tooheys Extra Dry.

Now - I have drunk tons of this stuff at the Big Day Out, and it's served at around 0.5 degrees and it's ok at that given it is the music, not the beer, that I go for.... however, in a glass how will it fair?

Pours a one finger white head, light golden colour. Nothing wrong so far.

Smells of, really, not a lot. Faint sweet malt maybe?

Taste - hmm, bland, light, sweet, mainstream, to start with, but after half the beer, a definite, and most unwelcome metallic taste appears. No discernible hop presence at all. I suspect my 17 year old would love it.

One for a 40 deg day, straight from the ice-filled esky only, and then I suspect, still quite sessionable. (823 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -5.7%

I must state at the outset I'm no fan of the dry-beer concept. It aligns heavily with the ready-to-drink market...all marketing style and no substance. I can't help but think of beer-flavoured soda water when I drink one of these, and then only under sufference. For serious beer tasters & drinkers, I do not recommend this beer. However, if you like standing around a trendy pub, paying attention to things other than what you're ingesting, then go for it. (457 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Since there's some in the fridge and I'm not sleepy yet, I figured I'd review this one. I listed it as on tap because I had a few while I playing pool not half an hour ago, and I recall it being slightly better as draft, so I'll give the tap version the nod. I've spent the evening eating great Spanish food and drinking Saison Dupont, Cantillon Fou Foune and Baladin Nora, so the best thing I can say for it so far is that it's had good company.

Looks a little less yellow than a regular cheap lager, with a pretty decent head and tons of lacing on the glass. Nothing wrong with that :)

Smells like a bowl you once had brown sugar in but the sugar went crusty and you threw it out but didn't clean the bowl properly. The worst thing about it by far is the smell. This is one of Australia's most popular beers, but it's difficult to imagine that as a nation no-one bothered to inhale when putting the beer to their lips. If you smelt it, you probably wouldn't want to drink it.

Tastes of corn syrup and mineral water with a little cooked Choko (Chayote for you North American folk, according to wikipedia). Bitterness comes from the (in)famous Aussie Pride of Ringwood hop, so there's a hint of ripe pear as well as tin roof in the finish.

Mouthfeel is watery, not unpleasant. It has a soft-drink like quality from the carbonation, which works in it's favor. The finish IS actually dry, as advertised, and combined with the carbonation makes this weak, funny-tasting beer very refreshing and drinkable. My girlfriend loves it, my friends love it, I loved it when I was 16. Broken down into it's constituent parts, it's miserable, but on a hot day it's (fairly) difficult to argue with.

* Drinking the bottle from the fridge, the difference between it and the tap version are noticable - the bottled version is sweeter and less drinkable, the tap version is slightly more metallic. No-one wins. (1,901 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -4.9%

awfully pricey @ almost $18 cdn per 6.

interesting albeit clear bottle with the painted label vs glued. As far as the brew looked...not bad for a macro-alger...an almost rich head that showed good retention considering it was quite cold and even some webs of lacing on the sides of the glass. Color was a slightly darker hue of the amber/piss lager yellow.\\

defintietly some hop/malt aroma..faint..husky grains, even some booziness...

very crisp and dry on the initial swig...dryness becomes almost puckering until the their is a hint of malt and hop bitterness. Finish is well, as the label says, extra dry. Too drying for this cat however

pretty light in body, I would wager this is a beer that is best consumed when the temp hits the 40's in OzLand. As for this reviewer, I'll say it's better than some of the macro's I've tried, but given the hefty price tag, this will be the last 6 i buy. (900 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -4.5%

A glaring omission from my reviewing history. Let's give it the treatment.

Pours a very clear golden yellow colour, with an initially thick head of white foam, that lays itself down to a robust film, sticking to the edges of the glass with excellent lacing. Small beads of fine carbonation stream to the top. I mean, seriously, all things considered it's a pretty good looking lager.

Almost nothing on the nose. No fragrance, no sweetness, maybe a little whiff of raw meat or copper, but almost nothing. It probably doesn't help that I served it ice cold, but I'm almost positive that's optimal serving temperature.

Clean entry with a light sharp bitterness, before a huge welling of yeast, sweaty grain and pride of ringwood bursts out to overwhelm the palate with its insidious masquerade. After the initial sip, though, the palate is dulled, leaving the rest of the glass as a bucket of bland, empty pathos. Mouthfeel is crisp, suits the style, but it's having a hard time lending anything to it. All up, it really is just bland, not offensive.

Odd. A long, long time ago, longer than I'd care to remember, this was my beer of choice. Before I'd opened my eyes and seen the wide world of beer, I thought there was nothing better than cracking open a cold Extra Dry after a long day at work. Since then, I've spurned it as the devil's drink - a vestige of my "unenlightened" days. But I can genuinely see why people (myself included) would like this - it's bland, clean, dry and, against all reason, refreshing.

No, it's not a good beer. But neither, considering its aim, is it a particularly bad one. (1,608 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance - Looks like a typical Australian lager. Completely transparent, little head which disappears quickly. Comes in a clear bottle, which is kind of stupid really.

Smell - Generally just smells like lager. I once detected a slight white wine smell, but I might have just imagined it.

Taste - Rather boring. Possibly the most tasteless full strength beer I've ever tried. No fruits or other interesting tastes, very little hops and bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Pretty much feels like water with a hint of bitterness

Drinkability - It is probably the most popular session drink in Australia, which is understandable. However, connoisseurs will look for something more interesting.

Overall - I am rather disappointed that one of the most popular beers in Australia is this boring lager. It seems likely that people who drink TED are people who don't really like beer all that much. Most cheaper beers are more interesting than this. Also, if you are a lager fan, it is worth the extra cash to get something less boring like Hahn Premium or Crown Lager instead. (1,074 characters)

2.53/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

345ml (?) clear as day bottle, at 6 bucks a pop on the patio of an Aussie-themed pub on Whyte Ave? Why the hell not.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden yellow hue, with one finger of weakly puffy, wanly foamy dirty white head, which leaves some iceberg-like lace around the glass as it duly dissipates.

It smells of semi-sweet, grainy pale malt, a certain corn-syrup 'sweetness', a stale apple and citrus fruitiness, and a reserved skanky, morning after kitchen countertop, dead bodies' weedy hoppiness. The taste is quite in line with my just recovering nose - grainy, husky rice pudding malt, some further musty corniness, a rather innocuous orchard fruitiness, one bled dry of any character and/or sweetness, and mildly sour, scorched earth hops.

The carbonation is surprisingly on the soft side, the body surely light in weight, with a more than pithy smoothness - my tongue is still trying to figure how to come to terms with this. It finishes off-dry, and clean, in the manner of your favorite unkempt single friend's pad.

A somewhat easy enough to drink, even mildly refreshing foreign-ass tipple, in the straight-up macro vein. Agreeable only, apparently, when your attention/wallet is duly distracted by the sunny afternoon's activities, inside and out. (1,278 characters)

2.63/5  rDev +7.3%

Well what can i say about this beer but this beer in australia is what u would call a session beer produced by a big company in australia,it basically looks like a pilsner/lager and is based around the main staple of beer what australians drink,on smelling its just a faint hop smell but nothing else and the taste is pretty bland but easy to drink even if your not a big fan of beer it has a thin mouth feel and is well carbonated but definately not a beer for the beer expert. (478 characters)

2.66/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance - 3.5
Poured a finger of bubbly, barely off-white head that reduced steadily leaving decent lacing. The colour is a clear light orange/gold, and it looks to be highly carbonated.

Smell - 2.5
Very little smell whatsoever, and what there is is a pretty generic, but not unappealing macro smell of corn, stale grains and a little hops. Despite the clear bottle there is no skunk, so I'm betting this is pretty fresh.

Taste - 2.0
Very little in the way of taste. It's refreshing cold, and has flavours of grains, corn sweetness, cheap bread, and a little hops in the dry finish. Quite crisp, and very little aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - 2.5
Slightly more carbonated than average for its style, feels light in the mouth and becomes a bit watery as it warms.

Drinkability - 4.0
This is a pretty easy drinking beer, and is quite refreshing on a hot day, and only 4.2% ABV. No nasty tastes to put you off, but no nice tastes to keep it interesting either.

OVERALL - 2.65
This is actually very similar to Corona, and a LOT cheaper, so my advice to those who like Corona is to make a change to TED for the benefit of your wallet. Nothing too distasteful about this beer, it's refreshing, but it's really little more than fizzy, dry, corny water. (1,246 characters)

2.71/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours pale gold with very strong carbonation, a generous white head that sticks around yet looks a tad listless. Not bad but standard.

Actually smells kind of sweet with toffee characters shining dimly through an otherwise bitter adjunct smell. It's all a bit weak. The only reason I get that toffee at all is there is not a lot of adjunct smell. I think you're in trouble when I'm complaining about the weakness of the adjunct aroma.

Taste is again quite sweet for a lager and therefore could almost pass for pleasant. There is, however, a crescendo of bitterness which starts mid-palate and gets stronger, leaving a hang of nasty bitterness. Has a fair amount of flavour which could almost make me forgive that finish.

Mouthfeel is thin, but quite smooth with nothing offensive about it.

Long, long ago I used to believe this was the best beer around. Not meaning to put it too strongly, I can see where I formed that (misguided) opinion. This is not nearly as nasty as other cheap Australian beers and actually, for all its faults it's fairly pleasant drinking.

I still won't drink it. (1,094 characters)

2.71/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance - clear light, gold/yellow.

Smell - little smell,

Taste - nice refreshing when cold, quite crisp with little aftertaste

Mouthfeel - Slightly more carbonated than average,

Drinkability - This is a pretty easy drinking beer, and is quite refreshing on a hot day, not much after taste, and a good crisp taste while drinking (337 characters)

2.76/5  rDev +12.7%

Nothing impressive about it, but it's easy to drink. It's good for a hot day because you can slam them down. Pours a light caramel colour. Tight head that faded away but left some lace. Not much in the way of smell or flavour in it at all, but no smell or flavour is better than bad smell or flavour. (300 characters)

2.76/5  rDev +12.7%

weak tastes, hints of wateryness, unimpressive appearence, virtually no smell. Drinkable due to price and inoffensiveness. Clear bottle attractive but stupid. Would drink if free but would never pay for it. Certainaly a more good australian beer, but thats not saying much. (273 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Format: a clear 345mL bottle with a transluscent label. Looks okay.

Appearance: pours an amber-golden colour with bubbling carbonation. A thin half-finger of head drops to a thin film and ring. Limited lacing.

Aroma: pretty typical lager, with light hops and light cereal adjunct grains. Okay.

Taste: pretty much follows the nose. This comes across as being a beer that is designed to be put away quickly without thinking about it too much.

Aftertaste: light cereal grains here again, without much bitterness.

Mouth feel: light in feel with medium to higher carbonation. Clean and crisp.

Overall: an okay macro lager, but there are better even at this price range at AU$40 a case. (686 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +20%

Its crisp, dry finish is achieved by an extended fermentation, ensuring minimal residual fermentable sugars. Wonderful fruity, malty notes accompany a mellow middle palate, leaving a clean aftertaste. (200 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast