1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Tooheys Extra Dry - Tooheys Brewing

Tooheys Extra DryTooheys Extra Dry

poor

Tooheys Brewing visit their website
Australia

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 05-08-2002)

magnusdave, Feb 26, 2013
1.63/5  rDev -30%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Not a good beer; nothing special. It is over carbonated and a lack of body, metallic - egg smell, and citrus aroma with a very very vague malt flavor,. The strong metallic twang seems to alter the mouthfeel. Pretty bad if I have to be honest.
I would not order or buy another.

GaetanoBresci, Feb 15, 2013

Garenburg, Dec 06, 2012
2.75/5  rDev +18%

hopnerd, Nov 09, 2012

Jake321, Oct 21, 2012

bwtodd, Aug 26, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Served a light golden color with a decent head that fades to some lacing.

S: Aroma is quite mild. Light citrus aroma with a bit of grain.

T: Taste is pretty bland with just a trace of malt sweetness. There is not real bitterness and a dry finish.

F: Light body, mild crispness and not much else. Quite boring really.

O: This makes for a good entry level beer. Best served ice cold on a hot day.

soju6, Aug 21, 2012

drummermattie02, Jan 18, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +7.3%

galluch, Jan 17, 2012
1.63/5  rDev -30%

A - Light yellow straw with a decent macro white head. Clear body, a few strands of lace.

S - Not much going on here, typical macro lager smell, like a pub in the morning.

T - Pretty flavourless with the most prominent characteristic being old coins.

M - Light, thin and fizzy.

O - Pass.

dansmcd, Dec 29, 2011

klipper, Dec 15, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -4.3%

One of those days where I find myself at a cafe where the 'special' - i.e. the only affordable item - comes with a bundled bottle of joy - Tooheys Extra Dry.

Now - I have drunk tons of this stuff at the Big Day Out, and it's served at around 0.5 degrees and it's ok at that given it is the music, not the beer, that I go for.... however, in a glass how will it fair?

Pours a one finger white head, light golden colour. Nothing wrong so far.

Smells of, really, not a lot. Faint sweet malt maybe?

Taste - hmm, bland, light, sweet, mainstream, to start with, but after half the beer, a definite, and most unwelcome metallic taste appears. No discernible hop presence at all. I suspect my 17 year old would love it.

One for a 40 deg day, straight from the ice-filled esky only, and then I suspect, still quite sessionable.

heygeebee, Apr 08, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -24.9%

Drank from my Duvel Tulip

A - Pours a clear golden colour with a decent white head that hangs around.

S - A little metallic aroma, but nothing else.

T - Crisp and bitter witha little citrus malt and I mean a little. Pretty bad really.

M - Over carbonated and light to medium body.

D - I can see why this appeals to the average beer punter in OZ. It's overcarbonated and tastless. Perfect for the 18 year old with a V8 ute.

eric5bellies, Feb 24, 2011
2.78/5  rDev +19.3%

weak tastes, hints of wateryness, unimpressive appearence, virtually no smell. Drinkable due to price and inoffensiveness. Clear bottle attractive but stupid. Would drink if free but would never pay for it. Certainaly a more good australian beer, but thats not saying much.

philphilphil, Apr 22, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours golden amber with a large head that slowly fades.
Nose shows cooked vegetables with hints of banana and some grainy malt.
Very similar flavours with the addition of stale cereal-like malt. Not too offensive.
Body is quite watery, moderate carbonation.

CrazyDavros, Jan 22, 2010
2.33/5  rDev 0%

A glaring omission from my reviewing history. Let's give it the treatment.

Pours a very clear golden yellow colour, with an initially thick head of white foam, that lays itself down to a robust film, sticking to the edges of the glass with excellent lacing. Small beads of fine carbonation stream to the top. I mean, seriously, all things considered it's a pretty good looking lager.

Almost nothing on the nose. No fragrance, no sweetness, maybe a little whiff of raw meat or copper, but almost nothing. It probably doesn't help that I served it ice cold, but I'm almost positive that's optimal serving temperature.

Clean entry with a light sharp bitterness, before a huge welling of yeast, sweaty grain and pride of ringwood bursts out to overwhelm the palate with its insidious masquerade. After the initial sip, though, the palate is dulled, leaving the rest of the glass as a bucket of bland, empty pathos. Mouthfeel is crisp, suits the style, but it's having a hard time lending anything to it. All up, it really is just bland, not offensive.

Odd. A long, long time ago, longer than I'd care to remember, this was my beer of choice. Before I'd opened my eyes and seen the wide world of beer, I thought there was nothing better than cracking open a cold Extra Dry after a long day at work. Since then, I've spurned it as the devil's drink - a vestige of my "unenlightened" days. But I can genuinely see why people (myself included) would like this - it's bland, clean, dry and, against all reason, refreshing.

No, it's not a good beer. But neither, considering its aim, is it a particularly bad one.

lacqueredmouse, Sep 15, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Well what can i say about this beer but this beer in australia is what u would call a session beer produced by a big company in australia,it basically looks like a pilsner/lager and is based around the main staple of beer what australians drink,on smelling its just a faint hop smell but nothing else and the taste is pretty bland but easy to drink even if your not a big fan of beer it has a thin mouth feel and is well carbonated but definately not a beer for the beer expert.

ADZA, Jun 27, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +41.6%

From my souvenirs, I try this one during a game of card. This is the dry version of Tooheys family; taste good, easy to drink. But its not a beer od fine degustation. the apparence is very light yellow. mid carbonation. I didtn notice the smell to be honest, probably light, but it taste alright, quit easy to drink and, yeah thats it..Tooheys dry..it said it all. not bad..

Otterburn, Jun 03, 2009
2.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

345ml (?) clear as day bottle, at 6 bucks a pop on the patio of an Aussie-themed pub on Whyte Ave? Why the hell not.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden yellow hue, with one finger of weakly puffy, wanly foamy dirty white head, which leaves some iceberg-like lace around the glass as it duly dissipates.

It smells of semi-sweet, grainy pale malt, a certain corn-syrup 'sweetness', a stale apple and citrus fruitiness, and a reserved skanky, morning after kitchen countertop, dead bodies' weedy hoppiness. The taste is quite in line with my just recovering nose - grainy, husky rice pudding malt, some further musty corniness, a rather innocuous orchard fruitiness, one bled dry of any character and/or sweetness, and mildly sour, scorched earth hops.

The carbonation is surprisingly on the soft side, the body surely light in weight, with a more than pithy smoothness - my tongue is still trying to figure how to come to terms with this. It finishes off-dry, and clean, in the manner of your favorite unkempt single friend's pad.

A somewhat easy enough to drink, even mildly refreshing foreign-ass tipple, in the straight-up macro vein. Agreeable only, apparently, when your attention/wallet is duly distracted by the sunny afternoon's activities, inside and out.

biboergosum, May 20, 2009
2.33/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Since there's some in the fridge and I'm not sleepy yet, I figured I'd review this one. I listed it as on tap because I had a few while I playing pool not half an hour ago, and I recall it being slightly better as draft, so I'll give the tap version the nod. I've spent the evening eating great Spanish food and drinking Saison Dupont, Cantillon Fou Foune and Baladin Nora, so the best thing I can say for it so far is that it's had good company.

Looks a little less yellow than a regular cheap lager, with a pretty decent head and tons of lacing on the glass. Nothing wrong with that :)

Smells like a bowl you once had brown sugar in but the sugar went crusty and you threw it out but didn't clean the bowl properly. The worst thing about it by far is the smell. This is one of Australia's most popular beers, but it's difficult to imagine that as a nation no-one bothered to inhale when putting the beer to their lips. If you smelt it, you probably wouldn't want to drink it.

Tastes of corn syrup and mineral water with a little cooked Choko (Chayote for you North American folk, according to wikipedia). Bitterness comes from the (in)famous Aussie Pride of Ringwood hop, so there's a hint of ripe pear as well as tin roof in the finish.

Mouthfeel is watery, not unpleasant. It has a soft-drink like quality from the carbonation, which works in it's favor. The finish IS actually dry, as advertised, and combined with the carbonation makes this weak, funny-tasting beer very refreshing and drinkable. My girlfriend loves it, my friends love it, I loved it when I was 16. Broken down into it's constituent parts, it's miserable, but on a hot day it's (fairly) difficult to argue with.

* Drinking the bottle from the fridge, the difference between it and the tap version are noticable - the bottled version is sweeter and less drinkable, the tap version is slightly more metallic. No-one wins.

Parrotshake, Apr 25, 2009
2.75/5  rDev +18%

Pours pale gold with very strong carbonation, a generous white head that sticks around yet looks a tad listless. Not bad but standard.

Actually smells kind of sweet with toffee characters shining dimly through an otherwise bitter adjunct smell. It's all a bit weak. The only reason I get that toffee at all is there is not a lot of adjunct smell. I think you're in trouble when I'm complaining about the weakness of the adjunct aroma.

Taste is again quite sweet for a lager and therefore could almost pass for pleasant. There is, however, a crescendo of bitterness which starts mid-palate and gets stronger, leaving a hang of nasty bitterness. Has a fair amount of flavour which could almost make me forgive that finish.

Mouthfeel is thin, but quite smooth with nothing offensive about it.

Long, long ago I used to believe this was the best beer around. Not meaning to put it too strongly, I can see where I formed that (misguided) opinion. This is not nearly as nasty as other cheap Australian beers and actually, for all its faults it's fairly pleasant drinking.

I still won't drink it.