Tooheys New - Tooheys Brewing

Tooheys Brewing visit their website
Australia

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-04-2002

As a standard macro beer, you'd expect it to be at least drinkable.......wrong, horribly chemicaly and is only drinkable when ice cold (and i'm talking like 0 degrees) so that you can't taste the flavour, horrific.

1.02/5  rDev -60.3%

Not alot to say about this poor example of a beer. I remember once having one from a bottle, thinking, hmm. This tastes better than it usually does. I held it up to the light. And realized there was floaties in my bottle. The beer was a few years old.
And it improved it.

1.02/5  rDev -60.3%

Poured into a tall pils glass it forms a loose head that falls to a cover. Highly filtered body with mild carbonation.

Where to begin. First off its a mess. This has this damp dirty diaper smell that is a rough starter. Metallic element is beyond what I would usually call a twinge, no, this full metallic jones. Its one of those brews thats just all over the map with no direction, no blending of any kind, everything has its own direction. "malts" are funked up and the hop presence is non existent. Can it at least be clean? nawww this is not a good beer.

Notes: The "beers around the world" pack took a big dump with this addition. Unlike budweiser and the like, this has taste...the problem is the taste is god awful and I"m really not sure how this makes it on to the market. Bad Bad Bad....

1.05/5  rDev -59.1%

I decided to write an unbiased review while drinking this from the bottle (fresh twist-tops - 250mL throwies) and it's really unnecessary. Before tonight I hadn't had anything to drink for over a month, to get my head straight, and tonight I started with a 330mL Chimay, which was delicious, but when I moved on to the New, it made me want to stop drinking again, at least until I can get hold of a longneck of Cooper's. The smell is actually the worst part, but I agree it tastes really chemical, artificial and offensive, but even I can overlook these in a dingy dive with two jugs of this for $5. Tastes like shite; gets you maggot.

1.1/5  rDev -57.2%

its a bit easier to drink than carlton, but tooheys new is still swill of the lowest form. im only even bothering to review it because for some reason i had a pot of it on the weekend. (i think someone bought me one, i cant remember exactly and dont really want to).

as far as im concerned, this beer is like lemon pledge mixed in water with a couple of cigarettes stubbed out into it. yuk yuk yuk.

the funny thing is i met a gent who works for lion nathan, the mob who owns tooheys, and i told him the above in no uncertain terms. a complete waste of brewing apparatus this one.

1.25/5  rDev -51.4%

1.48/5  rDev -42.4%

Why am i drinking this beer???? Well they have started to import this beer to Sweden and i was a little curious to try it. But i'm not very curious anymore... What is there to say about it? Not much!! It doesn't taste much. It doesn't taste anything. There is a hint of bitterness in the aftertaste and there is a hint of citrus in the smell and in the taste. The colour is golden. But that is the only gold this beer gets.

1.55/5  rDev -39.7%

A- Looks like a typical macro lager, with slightly better head retention and a bit of lacing.

S- Yuck. Smells like corn and formaldehyde. Reminds me of dissecting frogs in biology class.

T- Faint pale malt, a bit of hops, and then a sourness that overtakes the rest of the flavor.

M- Thin and watery, with a clinging slight astringency that ends up just leaving the awful taste in your mouth...

D- Stay far away. Honestly, almost as bad as bud light, which is the worst beer I've ever had. Off to the sink...

1.65/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow. I was astounded at how terrible this was..I really didn't think my expectations were too high but I guess so.

Very mediocre appearance with chemical and adjunct lacing around both smell and taste. Mouthfeel is watery and brackish. This was quite untasty, even after seven hours of work and sitting out in the sun. Not recommended.

1.68/5  rDev -34.6%

It poured an amber color with no foam or lace. The smell was not impressive and the taste was awful. I had two sips and poured this brew down the drain. I can't say anything good about this brew. I would take it off the shelves and use it for cleaning fire places!

1.68/5  rDev -34.6%

11.15oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.59. I picked this up strictly becaue I had never had it. "Best before 10/13/07"

This poured a darker shade of pale than I expected - a coppery gold. The head was fizzy and extremely short-lived. When I drank this not only was there no lace, but I'm reasonably certain lace on beers being consumed in glasses throughout the greater Spokane region promptly disappeared.

The smell was of a massively sweet corn scent. No other elements were detected.

This tasted like what I'd imagine a cold glass of liquified corn sugar would taste like. I'm making no effort to go beyond that to describe the taste of this beer.

The mouthfeel is not crisp in any way, largely negating for me it's value even as a desperation choice for a lawnmower beer.

I will be avoiding this beer for the rest of my days.

1.7/5  rDev -33.9%

Pours a deep golden color with a decent amount of fluffy head that fades away to nothing pretty quickly. Smells like water. The taste is barely there and what is there tastes like they soaked some pennies in it. Mouthfeel is very watery and thin without much carbonation. Overall, it's not a very drinkable beer. I won't be getting it again.

1.73/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

330ml can poured into a pilsner glass...

A- golden (*yawn*) standard foam (*yawn*)

S- barley (*yawn*), maybe a hint of blah, blah, blah...

T- just a notch better than your basic Miller product (*yawn*). basic lager (*yawn*)

MF- (*yawn*)

O- the charactor of this beer may be coma inducing (*yawn*). And, I am not referring to the alcohol content. Typical mass brewed pish (*yawn*).

1.73/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Tastes like crap. What can i say. Dont drink it. Australia has much better beers. Tastes kind of like budweiser just with more carbonisation. Pours light yellow with a foam head that dissapates fast.

I find this beer is what it is. Cheap fodder. Quenches thirst but thats about it. Will not go out of my way to get one.

1.75/5  rDev -31.9%

1.75/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Tooheys New, what's so new about it? I can't tell you because I haven't have the old one before. The blue background on the label makes the product look richer, so I grabbed a single bottle of this. Now that I have it, I have to see if its as good inside the bottle as outside. Comes with a Q&A beneath the bottle cap. On to the beer:

Highly carbonated yellow to gold in color with an okay head that retains well. One whiff from the beer brings an odd fermented corn aroma, sourness, and some lemon. In the taste, there's a plain flavor of grain with a fading sourness. It sorta has a creamy feel to it with bread in the aftertaste. That's it. There's isn't much to this brew. You would at least expect this brew to be chuggable. This isn't.

1.8/5  rDev -30%

Pours light yellow with a slight green tinge with its brief white head quickly falling back to the surface leaving no trace on the sides of the New Belgian tulip glass.
DMS (corn) on the nose getting stronger as it warms. Cold (usually a barrier to flavor) is the friend of Tooheys. Warming brings out stale pilsner flavor. Small amount of hop bitterness cleans the finish a bit but still leaves that predominant staleness. Mouthfeel drops off quickly as the beer off gasses its carbonation. A light body turns to water ( polluted by corn and stale grain).

I have heard from friends who stayed in Australia that "Tooheys was about the worst on the continent.

Still if your teaching flavors it would be an excellent example to serve to demonstrate a couple of off flavors.

I suspect that the heat of an Austraian summer would make one thirsty enough to consume this on a regular bases.

For me, One & Done!

1.83/5  rDev -28.8%

Appearance lagery, but with a good head that sticks around. That's really quite rare, for such an adjuncty lager.

Nose not nice. Smells bitter-y and vomit-y and really just very, very standard.

Tastes very adjuncty but then what did I expect? Has that sharp, crisp but unpleasantly bitter taste. Very simple. Slight hint of walnuts but not enough for me to stand on my table and shout at a bistro full of people "Hey! This beer has hints of walnuts!" It's very cheap-tasting and quite nasty. Mouthfeel is sharp and tangy and taste is cheap and bitter and simple. The working man's beer. What more can I say?

1.85/5  rDev -28%

Well, time to review the ubiquitous Tooheys New. I'll try to stay unbiased.

Appearance:
Dark gold body, clear. Heavily carbonated. Head is a shade off pure white and made of huge bubbles, so it disappears quickly, although a ring around the edge leaves some lacing.

Smell:

Um, does this have a smell? No. Nothing at all. Maybe a little bit of malty sweetness? I'm probably imagining that though. Really. No, nothing at all.

Taste:

Eh. It's a little toasty, and a little bitter. Smooth drinking (that means it has no flavour). I mean really this is what you expect, a bland cold beer that you can slug a lot of.

1.9/5  rDev -26.1%

A: Thin looking, head dissipates quickly, lacing a bit too meagre, carbonation not so evident as I expected.

N: A fair hit of Pride of Ringwood hops, not very pleasant really.

T: More than anything, bland.

M: Pretty thin and watery really.

Surprisingly I do find this reasonably drinkable, may I just think of it as water with some hop characteristics.

Tooheys New from Tooheys Brewing