Tooheys New - Tooheys Brewing

Tooheys NewTooheys New

poor

Tooheys Brewing visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-04-2002)
View: Beers (8) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
BBM

2.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Hadn't heard of this one, so I figured I'd give it a try, hoping for something a little different from an Australian brewer. And, well, it's not as bad as Fosters, which is a start. It pours a pure clear golden color, with not much head, but a good amount of fizziness. The smell wasn't too encouraging; an all-too familiar macro corn/grain nose with a slight tinge of sour hops.

The taste however, isn't awful. It's mostly a sweet, malty lager, with little-to-no hops, and a slight (but not overbearing) grain/cereal taste. To be honest it's one of the better macros I've had. Mouthfeel was thin and a bit fizzy. This is a good beer to kick back and relax with. While I wouldn't make it a staple, it's certainly not terrible.

04-16-2007 14:06:28 | More by BBM
Ricochet

2.98/5  rDev +16.9%

Yellow and fizzy with a decent head, a little darker than average and smell was a notch above, mostly malt and a little hops. Mouth was watery, not much to speak of other than a metallic overtone and a soda-like aftertaste.

This was the typical beer beverage burp beer. Light, small hops character which was a touch of bitter, but otherwise, soda taste. This was light, and dare I say refreshing? A lawnmower beer if ever there was one.

None of the bite of Pabst, none of the flatness of some of the other cheapies, but still an average drinker. One and done for me because there are several other beers that do a better job of making a lawnmower beverage.

04-15-2007 03:08:45 | More by Ricochet
zeff80

Missouri

2.6/5  rDev +2%

A - Poured out a pale gold color with a white, one-finger head. It was highly carbonated and fizzy.

S - It smelled of corn and faintly of malt.

T - It tasted strongly of corn ad malt. It also was sweet with a subtle amount of spice.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A light-bodied beer.

D - The tasted was surprisingly good. Nothing else about this beer was very good, though.

04-13-2007 01:38:30 | More by zeff80
BrewMaven

2.05/5  rDev -19.6%

Beer(?) of my outing to Outback for dinner.

Poured clear gold with a white head of semi-course bubbles that receded and vanished with a minute or two.

Had a basic, grainy macro lager smell that was rather weak.

Taste was also grainy and somewhat sweet and a little metallic. No hops were detected, just some more corny sweetness at the finish. Several times during my meal I had forgotten this beer was sitting next to me and I was drinking from my mug of water at least as often. Not a beer I'd seek out again.

01-15-2007 23:09:33 | More by BrewMaven
DogFood11

1.02/5  rDev -60%

Poured into a tall pils glass it forms a loose head that falls to a cover. Highly filtered body with mild carbonation.

Where to begin. First off its a mess. This has this damp dirty diaper smell that is a rough starter. Metallic element is beyond what I would usually call a twinge, no, this full metallic jones. Its one of those brews thats just all over the map with no direction, no blending of any kind, everything has its own direction. "malts" are funked up and the hop presence is non existent. Can it at least be clean? nawww this is not a good beer.

Notes: The "beers around the world" pack took a big dump with this addition. Unlike budweiser and the like, this has taste...the problem is the taste is god awful and I"m really not sure how this makes it on to the market. Bad Bad Bad....

01-10-2007 02:10:19 | More by DogFood11
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.6/5  rDev +2%

Poured from 12oz bottle a clear light gold with a medium sized head of foam that shrank quickly leaving a fine broken layer.

The smell has a bit of hops and malt that I've smelled before in many a macro brew. Not impressive at all.

The taste has a bitter-malt buttery flavour to it. If I had tasted this blindfolded, I'd just know it was an Australian brew. Hey, it was a staple of mine back in the early 70s when I lived in Australia.;^)
The finish is not good at all and when the aftertaste finally left my palate, I was a happy camper.

After a few more sips, I find myself saying...yeah I'm glad I got to try this again but I'm certainly glad my palate has evolved in the right direction. I think I'd prefer a Canadian brewed Fosters over this.

Bottom line: I couldn't give a very descriptive review of this beer cuz not a lot was happening with it. *Another* old favourite bites the dust. :^(

12-17-2006 21:43:47 | More by Bitterbill
Suds

3.08/5  rDev +20.8%

Tooheys New pours a light golden-yellow beer with a fizzy whitehead. The brew is clear, and moderately carbonated. The aroma is quiet, but there are notable malt scents, along with a small dose of hops. The mouthfeel is very light and soft, without being watery. For the style, it’s a fairly sweet beer. The finish has just a touch of hops. This is an un-engaging brew, but it is a few steps above most macros.

12-01-2006 10:54:32 | More by Suds
TheBierBand

2.8/5  rDev +9.8%

While in OZ I had the opportunity to have several Toohey's News. However I certainly preferred OLD as my beer of choice.

Nothing special about Toohey's New. Pours with a quickly disappearing head thet leaves minimal lacing on the glass. The appearance is standard filtered amber, typical of mass produced brews.

The smell is the first thing you notice with this brew... it's a bit revolting!

The taste is average and blandand that sickly smell is also apparent in the tast.... do NOT let this beer set too long. WARM Toohey's New is AWEFUL.

It's smooth and refreshing if drunk when the beer is cold. But again, it's just an average beer.

10-11-2006 11:14:57 | More by TheBierBand
vancurly

2.7/5  rDev +5.9%

Barmaid did this in a single-pour, which really annoys me. The double-pour is mandatory, particularly for this stock standard beer.
So, no head to speak of... but mid-gold, good draught bubbles.
This is the beer my late father-in-law always drank, so I've probably consumed more of this than anything else in the world. But this is the first one since I've joined BA.
So it's weird that for the first time ever I detected the slightest of banana ester on the nose. Maybe I'm getting used to this reviewing caper. Some sulfur too...
There's a good malt profile, and Pride of Ringwood hops. It's refreshing, but a bit thin towards the end. It is THE session beer of NSW, but that doesn't say much...it ain't my session beer...

08-16-2006 05:15:15 | More by vancurly
eb003

Kentucky

3.65/5  rDev +43.1%

Nothing over-special about this, but it's good. appearance is average for brews... smell is also average...it smells almost like a wheat beer to me. The taste is good... reminds me of some hefe's. Mouthfeel is also good as it's smooth. The drinkability is above average because I couldn't drink it all day into the night, but I could put a few back without problem.

07-28-2006 03:08:55 | More by eb003
daliandragon

1.65/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow. I was astounded at how terrible this was..I really didn't think my expectations were too high but I guess so.

Very mediocre appearance with chemical and adjunct lacing around both smell and taste. Mouthfeel is watery and brackish. This was quite untasty, even after seven hours of work and sitting out in the sun. Not recommended.

07-19-2006 04:29:29 | More by daliandragon
laituegonflable

1.83/5  rDev -28.2%

Appearance lagery, but with a good head that sticks around. That's really quite rare, for such an adjuncty lager.

Nose not nice. Smells bitter-y and vomit-y and really just very, very standard.

Tastes very adjuncty but then what did I expect? Has that sharp, crisp but unpleasantly bitter taste. Very simple. Slight hint of walnuts but not enough for me to stand on my table and shout at a bistro full of people "Hey! This beer has hints of walnuts!" It's very cheap-tasting and quite nasty. Mouthfeel is sharp and tangy and taste is cheap and bitter and simple. The working man's beer. What more can I say?

02-02-2006 07:25:31 | More by laituegonflable
Zorro

2.7/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear gold colored lager with a short lasting white head, nice gold color though.

Smell is very sweet and malty with a fairly good herbal hop aroma. Doesn't smell bad at all but it does smell too sweet.

Taste is a bit sweet with a fair fruity flavor from the yeast. A bit of toffee candy in the malt here but it is too sweet for the style. Hops don't really contribute much to the flavor, probably masked by the malt.

Mouthfeel is thin.

An OK lawnmower class beer here but not something to seek out.

11-27-2005 10:51:22 | More by Zorro
lacqueredmouse

1.85/5  rDev -27.5%

Well, time to review the ubiquitous Tooheys New. I'll try to stay unbiased.

Appearance:
Dark gold body, clear. Heavily carbonated. Head is a shade off pure white and made of huge bubbles, so it disappears quickly, although a ring around the edge leaves some lacing.

Smell:

Um, does this have a smell? No. Nothing at all. Maybe a little bit of malty sweetness? I'm probably imagining that though. Really. No, nothing at all.

Taste:

Eh. It's a little toasty, and a little bitter. Smooth drinking (that means it has no flavour). I mean really this is what you expect, a bland cold beer that you can slug a lot of.

11-19-2005 05:16:13 | More by lacqueredmouse
jarmby1711

2.3/5  rDev -9.8%

The mid golden lager retained a dense white head for at least 1/2 a glass
The smell is cheapish but not completely un appealing.There is a yeatiness about it that goes in its favour.
It is satisfactorally bitter, ,it is wet and I drank it cold, so it passes the absolute minimum as far as I am concerned for a beer. IT has no character beyond a dull maltiness (but this requires some heavy swishing in the mouth .
It is a drinkable beer when drinking quality or character is not the issue

10-30-2005 06:46:25 | More by jarmby1711
WesWes

3.25/5  rDev +27.5%

The beer pours a gold color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a dry, yet slightly sweet scent that boasts of pale malts and lager yeast. The taste is average. It has a very dry, pale malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes with a musty aftertaste. The mouthfeel is average also. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This was a strange brew. I kind of like it, but it's way too dry all the way through. Overall, just another import lager, nothing to get excited about.

09-22-2005 01:10:12 | More by WesWes
Brent

Kentucky

2.98/5  rDev +16.9%

I'm going to paddle against the current of opinion on this beer, as just about everyone else has given it a thumbs-down. Had this on the patio while firing up the grill. Opened before the best-by date, if I read it right, but there was some sediment at the bottom of the bottle, which I managed to avoid decanting. Fearing the worst, I took the plunge. I was pleasantly surprised by how bright this beer tastes - a nice, lemony citric tang. That's about all this beer had going for it, otherwise, but it was refreshing as a knock the dust out of your throat beer. Nothing stellar here, but I think I'd take it over most American macros on a hot afternoon.

07-07-2005 14:04:44 | More by Brent
BeerNutta

1.73/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Tastes like crap. What can i say. Dont drink it. Australia has much better beers. Tastes kind of like budweiser just with more carbonisation. Pours light yellow with a foam head that dissapates fast.

I find this beer is what it is. Cheap fodder. Quenches thirst but thats about it. Will not go out of my way to get one.

04-27-2005 06:33:06 | More by BeerNutta
amicar

Missouri

2.35/5  rDev -7.8%

Tasted somewhere in Southwest Rocks.

Hmmm... I visited Australia to taste something suspiciously similar to Budweiser.... Well, it's yellowed with white head; Not much to smell here. Taste is crisp and slightly sweet. Not very full in the mouth. Clearly the attempt here was at something easy to knock back a lot of....

Overall, inoffensive, but not worthwhile.

03-29-2005 02:11:32 | More by amicar
annatar

Australia

Easy drinking adjunct lager from round these parts, all fizz, sugar and no beer taste.

Pours lightish yellow/gold, though not as light as some, with a soapy/stringy head that vanishes without a trace. No smell detectable, watery taste thats sweeter than its other Au lager bretheren. Machiney/metallic finish. Mouthfeel is rough but very light - very carbonated.

Very easy to drink in quantity. Best of the big three tap lagers in NSW/Victoria, but not by much.

Once had it with a bottle of MGD, very hard to find much difference :o

01-13-2005 05:49:30 | More by annatar
Weizenmensch

Japan

1.05/5  rDev -58.8%

I decided to write an unbiased review while drinking this from the bottle (fresh twist-tops - 250mL throwies) and it's really unnecessary. Before tonight I hadn't had anything to drink for over a month, to get my head straight, and tonight I started with a 330mL Chimay, which was delicious, but when I moved on to the New, it made me want to stop drinking again, at least until I can get hold of a longneck of Cooper's. The smell is actually the worst part, but I agree it tastes really chemical, artificial and offensive, but even I can overlook these in a dingy dive with two jugs of this for $5. Tastes like shite; gets you maggot.

08-13-2004 13:49:37 | More by Weizenmensch
anders36

Sweden

1.48/5  rDev -42%

Why am i drinking this beer???? Well they have started to import this beer to Sweden and i was a little curious to try it. But i'm not very curious anymore... What is there to say about it? Not much!! It doesn't taste much. It doesn't taste anything. There is a hint of bitterness in the aftertaste and there is a hint of citrus in the smell and in the taste. The colour is golden. But that is the only gold this beer gets.

01-31-2004 18:57:38 | More by anders36
diablo14

1.1/5  rDev -56.9%

its a bit easier to drink than carlton, but tooheys new is still swill of the lowest form. im only even bothering to review it because for some reason i had a pot of it on the weekend. (i think someone bought me one, i cant remember exactly and dont really want to).

as far as im concerned, this beer is like lemon pledge mixed in water with a couple of cigarettes stubbed out into it. yuk yuk yuk.

the funny thing is i met a gent who works for lion nathan, the mob who owns tooheys, and i told him the above in no uncertain terms. a complete waste of brewing apparatus this one.

11-03-2003 14:04:33 | More by diablo14
BeerManDan

1.68/5  rDev -34.1%

It poured an amber color with no foam or lace. The smell was not impressive and the taste was awful. I had two sips and poured this brew down the drain. I can't say anything good about this brew. I would take it off the shelves and use it for cleaning fire places!

04-17-2003 13:46:37 | More by BeerManDan
Anonmatel

1.02/5  rDev -60%

Not alot to say about this poor example of a beer. I remember once having one from a bottle, thinking, hmm. This tastes better than it usually does. I held it up to the light. And realized there was floaties in my bottle. The beer was a few years old.
And it improved it.