Edelweiss Weissbier - Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)

Edelweiss WeissbierEdelweiss Weissbier

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 146 | Reviews: 33
Reviews by eb003:
4.48/5  rDev +9.8%

WOW! I had this beer on-tap at a hotel bar in downtown Chicago. I had never had this before. They served it first with a lemon slice, which I immediately removed so I could full taste the beer. The next round from a different bartender offered an orange slice. I went ahead and enjoyed it with the orange slice. I thought the orange really complimented the flavor of the beer.

On with the review... The appearance was very good...very similar to most hefes and weissbiers I've enjoyed.

The smell was good, but it didn't seem quite as aromatic as others I've had.

The taste was very good. It was clean, refreshing, crisp, and light on the palate. It was what every weissbier I've truly enjoyed had been. The flavor was very nice.

The mouthfeel was very smooth. It was almost silky with a light amount of carbonation.

The drinkability on this was very high for me because I drank this all night long...without feeling full or tired of the beer. I put it as exceptional because it was a very enjoyable brew for me.

Cheers! and Bottoms UP!

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 16.9 oz brown euro style bottle with a drink before date printed on the label.

Appearance: Cloudy kaki yellow with a powdery white lace that stays for a long time.

Smell: Fruity with hints of banana and pear ... mild tartness and clove like spice in the nose also.

Taste: Quite smooth and very crisp with an in your face carbonation. Soft malty palate with a medium body, the carbonation stirs up a spicy clove flavour in the middle and then quickly finishes with some nutty yeast, fruit, grain and a mild tartness. Hop bitterness is vague and almost not needed due to the character off set from the by-products of the yeast.

Notes: What more could you ask for from a wheat beer ... crisp, clean, refreshing, lively, fruity and spicy. One of the best for imported wheat beers ever to come to the US.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

A 500ml bottle with a BB of June 2010, so it's about 8 months out of date. Purchased many moons ago now but carefully stored in my garage ever since. Label lists ABV as 5.5%.

Poured into a Guinness pint glass. The last quarter of the contents were thoroughly swirled to resuspend the yeast before serving. Initially pale golden, the beer ends up with a translucent straw-coloured hue. Plentiful fine carbonation is visible at the edges of the glass. A brilliant white head of creamy foam is created; this lasts for a few minutes before reducing to a stable surface layer. The aroma is sweet, yeasty and complex, with fruity ester and banana notes.

The taste is intricate yet subtle. The main component of the flavour is a balanced, mildly sweet/sour character. A prominent banana note is present, accompanied by hints of yeast, fruit esters and tart oranges. Mouthfeel is very smooth, coating the palate and leaving a slight dryness. Sour yeasty aftertaste.

In a word, excellent. Succeeds in achieving a complex flavour whilst remaining smooth and very drinkable. A great example of the style - highly recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

After a quick blast of deep, dark winter, this return to the freezing mark is practically summer-esque - and so shall be the beer. That and the best before on the label is 02/2011 - well before actual melt next spring.

This beer pours a cloudy, but still bright, golden hue, with two fingers of creamy lily-white head, which settles at a slow, even pace, leaving some wind-blown snowdrift silhouettes of lace around the glass. It smells strongly of fruit and spice - banana, bubblegum, clove, white pepper, with some mild citrus and yeast. The taste is moderately sweet wheat malt, more fleshy banana, clove, a bit of lemon zest, and soft, earthy yeast. The carbonation is on the low, soft side, the body retaining a fair bit of sprightliness, and pulling off smoothness at the same time. It finishes off-dry, the graininess held in tight check by the spice and yeast.

Wow - what an easy, unobtrusive hefe - all the checkmarks are there, and they all blend effortlessly, making me forget the majority of examples of the style that I've previously encountered...

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Hofbräu Kaltenausen "Edelweiss Weissbier Hefetrub"
,3l for €3,90 vom fass @ Zum Leupold

After a very drunken night in Dublin, Ireland way back in 1993 I had a bottle of this and thought it was one of the worst beers I'd ever tasted. Fast forward to December 30, 2014 and Bavarian hefeweizen is one of my favorite styles!

I was surprised to find that on tap this was actually quite clear, but perhaps this keg had sat for some time, although at the famous Zum Leupold I'd doubt that. And maybe I'm wrong, maybe this is a more clear hefeweizen. Regardless of appearance it's a fairly straight-forward Bavarian-style hefeweizen with lots of banana and clove both in the aroma and the flavor (also some apple and pear); and it's sweetish but still dry. If there's a flaw it's that it's a little bit light in the body, but being from Austria I kind of expect that having sampled some of their other interpretations of the style. Overall, quite nice.

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Creamy yellow, looks a lot like carbonated lemonade. Quite beautiful.

S: It has much of the qualities of a fresh pineapple in the smell, except for the actual pineapple flavor part. It's quite sharp in smell, creamy, yeasty, lemon.

T: Light, refreshing in taste, slightly bitter aftertaste. Lemon, white cake.

M: Quite sparkly

D: Due to it's heaviness (the way it sits in my stomach), I couldn't drink a lot, but with a meal its very pleasant.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

A - hazy straw golden, tall soapy white head eventually dissipated leaving solid lacing
S - strong esters of yeast, spice, banana, fresh bread, and a hint of leafy greens
T - big dose of yeasty banana and wheaty goodness, mild clove spiciness, some leafy and earthy hops round it out
M - big carbonation presence, bready and smooth, finishes bready with a little spice tingle
O - an outstanding example of a great weisbier with a big and chuggable flavour, I would love to find this on tap

3.53/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Austrian hefe?? Picked up at the COOP today for about $4... poured into my weiss glass... Good white head... slightly hazed very pale golden.

The nose is mainly banana esters with just a minor hint of clovey phenols.. decent bready maltiness.

Much more clove on the palate and it lingers through the finish.. banana is actually a little bit light... malts are light too... okay, but not great.

Body seems sorta flimsly... "beery" and certainly well carbonated.. I guess I just prefer a bit more residual heft on the tongue.

I will probably not buy this one again... but I think that my ideal hefe has more "Umph" in the aroma and flavor.

4/3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5

2.63/5  rDev -35.5%

Brown 500ml bottle, best before 12/2009, drank during 11/2009. Poured into a Franziskaner Weissbier glass.

Pale, cloudy yellow body with a huge bright white head on top.

The prominent smell was of bananas, but not the ripe heavy aromas some produce in this style.

The light refreshing taste was of yeast and wheat, again like the smell, not very strong.

It feels weak in all aspects including the body and mouthfeel.

I thought the beer was playing at being a true Weissbier and failed to live up to my expectations. Drinkable, but disappointing.

A pretty acid weizen beer with a hint of o sour taste.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

(500 ml bottle). Typical hefe cloudy golden, large head. Lovely strong aroma of ripe bananas, bubblegum and cloves. Cloves in the flavour too, light bodied, tasty but could still use some more "bite". Like most weissbiers not too much aftertaste. Good, not outstanding. Rerate: This is a beer I come back to all the time, as it is relatively cheap in Norway (available at Vinmonopolet) AND very refreshing. Not a great beer if you are looking for the big flavours, though.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Cloudy, straw gold appearance with bubbly head that slowly settles down leaving good lacing. Smell consists of wheat, bananas, spices, yeast and citrus; great first impressions.

Taste consists of wheat, citrus, bananas and bread with a hint of pepper and various spices and other fruit. Very tarty overall, but the tastes blend very well together. Light bodied with high carbonation. Aftertaste is a lingering dry citrus, banana taste.

Now this is a wheat beer; has all the good qualities of one and no negative features. It’s complicated, but at the same time tasty and refreshing. Pick up a bottle if you come across it.

3.39/5  rDev -16.9%

A- superfoam. White and dense with a wheat protein skin on top. Takes forever to settle. Little bits of lace. Body is a hazy lemon yellow with straight streams of bubbles.

S- mild clove, banana, and bubblegum with a "beery" aroma. Wheaty cracker sweetness.

T- Mild flavor as well, decent balance between sweet and tart fading into a white bread finish with some clove and banana.

MF- creamy wheat protein feel, carbonation is zippy at first but disappears on the swallow.

D- this one is ok but feels generic somehow. Maybe it's the water.

This is, hands down, the best that I have ever had of this style. Tons of fruit and bananas on the nose and a very fruity and refreshing taste. Great mouthfeel and a fantastic finish. I could drink these all day, every day. It is very hard to find, but I know a "secret spot" here in Hong Kong that has it on draft. They always serve it in an Edelweiss Hefe glass and it is absolutely delicious.

I am a huge fan of Belgian beers, in particular, but this is one of my all-time favorite, non Belgian, beers...period. I love this beer and go out of my way to get it. A great everyday beer, if you can find it, because it is so smooth and refreshing. It is also very complex and will reward anyone who wants to sip it as well. Highly recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Served on-tap into a non description glass at a cafe while in France on vacation. Served petty cold with a lemon slice.

Appearance - pale golden color, a little less orange than many other hefeweizens but retains the hazy characteristics. Lots of tiny bubbles make a rapid ascension to the one finger of head which lasts for a good long while and leaves behind lots of stringy lacing.

Smell - aromatic yet light, some banana and maybe a trace of clove but much more floral than a lot of others in the style. The bready nature of a hefeweizen is exhibited less here, in place a wonderful bouquet of flowery goodness. A splash of lemon mixed in for good measure.

Taste - delicious, with the banana and clove and maybe a touch of bubblegum shining through but there's also a very sweet flowery finish to this beer, that makes is particularly good on a hot summer day in Paris. Lemon completes the tasting, although a little hard to tell if it's from the lemon slice added or if it's naturally in the beer. I tend to think a little of both.

Mouthfeel - well carbonated, yet extremely soft and light in the mouth, the only two other hefe's that have been able to pull that trick are Ayinger and Weihenstephan. A resounding crispness completes this aided by the lemon taste capping the taste.

Overall - a wonderful hefe that was glorious on tap and I truly wish was more accessible, even if a bottled version couldn't live up to the on-tap version I tried.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had from a bottle served in weizen glass

A-A cloudy yellow with a 2 finger head that lingers for a few minutes

S-Fruity and spices with possibly a hint of banana

T-This beer tastes almost like it smells. A hint of clove or spice to it with a fruity finish. And I still can think there is a banana element to this beer as well

M-Very smooth and crisp.

O-This is a fantastic wheat beer, almost the perfect wheat beer in my opinion. Perfectly balanced in every way. I don't know why this beer is not more popular and easier to access, but you can't go worng with enjoying one of these

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%

Served on tap at Rootz bar in The Hague.
A - slightly hazy, straw yellow colour. Served in Edelweiss glass. Very appealing
S - Smells of citrus fruits but lacking some definitive Hefe qualities
T - a few things going on, Definite taste of lemon & lime and something like toffee in the aftertaste. Plenty of wheat too
M - very light mouthfeel, almost like it was watered down. Didn't really like it
O - it did get better as it went down, but there are too many Hefe's i would choose over this one.

4.54/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours with a small white head over a cloudy, dark yellow body with nothing fancy in appearance. It delivers a sweet scent of lemon, cloves and spice to the nose. I've read what others have said about the taste of this one, but to me all I can say is that this beer overwhelmingly tastes of apricot. There's a bit of spice and a yeasty aftertaste with its complementary dryness to the mouth, but still, the apricot stands out. The taste is just superb, and not what I was expecting from the smell. This is such a fantastic beer that I absolutely have to rate it high on drinkability. I'll absolutely be drinking more of these in the future.

3.79/5  rDev -7.1%

Pint bottle poured into a Pilsner glass, 10-19-11

A: Poured a thick head with large bubbles, poured three finger width, quickly shrunk to half a finger. Reasonably long retention. Slight cloudiness, lots of carbonation and a pale orange color.

S: Strong spiciness. Cloves? Definitely banana influence. It's nice.

T: A tartness from the spices and the hoppiness. The banana flavor is here as well. Yum!

M: Smooth but finished a little grainy, the carbonation adds another level in my mouth. Pretty complex, I like it.

O: I served it maybe a little warm, but even so, the complex flavors come off nicely. I enjoy this, but cloudier Hefeweizens are more my speed.

3.53/5  rDev -13.5%

Edelweiss... First beer I drank when I got to Austria. My gf bought it for me because she loves the sound of music.

I hate the movie, liked the beer.

Poured: Dark Yellow colour with a light foam head.

Smell: Smelled of fruit.

Taste: Tasted fruitty, with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Felt good, wanted another sip.

Drinkability: Good, wish i could get this in Australia.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%

500ml bottle poured into pint glass 12/2/12

A a bright pale yellow with lots of bubbles and suspended particles, two finger bone white foam quickly falls to a thin film leaving just a couple dots of lace

S the banana is mellow and not yet bruised, some floral notes and bubblegum work well together with a little peppery spice, pretty solid nose

T a little lemon and cereal come out but I liked the smell a little more, still very good but I thought the nose was great

M light and refreshing with loads of bubbles, leaves a little sour lemon behind on the finish

O pretty solid example of the style other then a pretty average look, better suited for a hot day but its working well for me

I didn't expect much from this random bottle but it was pretty good, something I'd drink again but I may wait for the summer sun

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

It was a medium light hazy golden yellow color when poured. It had loads of foam and a fair amount of lace. The smell of yeast, wheat and spices was evident, but not really intense. The taste was good, but, it just lack depth. A good average German wheat, but not an overpowering beer.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Presentation: 500ml classy looking bottle with attractive label; there's a "best by end" stamp, but the code is unintelligible, who knows what it means...I remember this being my favorite Hefeweizen back when I first started drinking craft a number of years ago...now that it's being imported again, I had to give it another go...

Appearance: Nice hazy dark straw-gold beer, with high carbonation and a beautiful dense white cap with good retention. So far, so good.

Smell: Fresh, vibrant, and intensely fruity. The traditional banana/clove combination is well represented here...quite nice. While some weissbiers I've had tend to lean towards a banana bread character (i.e. more malt, or a hint of toastiness), this is all yeasty banana and clove.

Taste: Very nice. It starts out pretty typical, with lots of banana and a hint of spice. There's a very light maltiness underneath, and then (this is the first I've gotten this in a Hefeweizen before, I think) a bit of sour peach. My wife hated that it ended with that sour stone fruit twang, but I really like it.

Mouthfeel: I'm torn on the mouthfeel because it seems like it could either be a positive or a negative. It's light. Now I know that weissbiers are supposed to be crisp and refreshing, and that this definitely is. Yet it's almost too light. It could benefit from maybe just a touch more mouthfeel. Nevertheless, it's weight means that...

Drinkability: Off the charts. Probably the singly most drinkable Hefeweizen I've ever had. Period.

Conclusion: Very few beers that I've revisited down the years after liking them back when I was first getting into craft beer have impressed me now. This one I love as much as I ever did. I hope we can get this regularly in the States now that they have the distribution thing figured out. What a great wheat beer!

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 500ml big bottle into a hefe glass

A: Pours a hazy light gold with a nice foamed 1 finger white head that laces and leaves. Thin layer remains with carbonation flowing to the top and loose sentiment in glass.

S: Wheat, citrus, malts, spice, some earthy pine.

T: You get a lot of the wheat in the taste along with two varities of malt. Hops and citrus accompany.

M: Good coating and carbonation. Subtle aftertaste.

Bottle code says L155A.406.25, a best by date. I'm guessing the L stands for year 2102 and 155 is the julian date, so this is quite old. Also, the cap says Hefetraub but the bottle label is what I see here. Confusing.

A- it pours a hazy straw yellow, big ole head of foam that leaves some nice lacing.

S- I smell wheat, cloves/other spices, not much else.

T- good notes of wheat, light on the cloves, hints of banana. The age of the bottle probably killed off the beer's vibrant flavours but....this is still a joy to drink.

M- medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

O- drinking this makes me wonder what it's like fresh. As is, it is very tasty and quaffable.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Edelweiss Weissbier from Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)