Edelweiss Weissbier - Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)

Edelweiss WeissbierEdelweiss Weissbier

Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union) visit their website
Austria

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Edelweiss Weissbier Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.48/5  rDev +10.1%

WOW! I had this beer on-tap at a hotel bar in downtown Chicago. I had never had this before. They served it first with a lemon slice, which I immediately removed so I could full taste the beer. The next round from a different bartender offered an orange slice. I went ahead and enjoyed it with the orange slice. I thought the orange really complimented the flavor of the beer.

On with the review... The appearance was very good...very similar to most hefes and weissbiers I've enjoyed.

The smell was good, but it didn't seem quite as aromatic as others I've had.

The taste was very good. It was clean, refreshing, crisp, and light on the palate. It was what every weissbier I've truly enjoyed had been. The flavor was very nice.

The mouthfeel was very smooth. It was almost silky with a light amount of carbonation.

The drinkability on this was very high for me because I drank this all night long...without feeling full or tired of the beer. I put it as exceptional because it was a very enjoyable brew for me.

Cheers! and Bottoms UP! (1,053 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

It was a medium light hazy golden yellow color when poured. It had loads of foam and a fair amount of lace. The smell of yeast, wheat and spices was evident, but not really intense. The taste was good, but, it just lack depth. A good average German wheat, but not an overpowering beer. (285 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

(500 ml bottle). Typical hefe cloudy golden, large head. Lovely strong aroma of ripe bananas, bubblegum and cloves. Cloves in the flavour too, light bodied, tasty but could still use some more "bite". Like most weissbiers not too much aftertaste. Good, not outstanding. Rerate: This is a beer I come back to all the time, as it is relatively cheap in Norway (available at Vinmonopolet) AND very refreshing. Not a great beer if you are looking for the big flavours, though. (472 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%

Edelweiss... First beer I drank when I got to Austria. My gf bought it for me because she loves the sound of music.

I hate the movie, liked the beer.

Poured: Dark Yellow colour with a light foam head.

Smell: Smelled of fruit.

Taste: Tasted fruitty, with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Felt good, wanted another sip.

Drinkability: Good, wish i could get this in Australia. (400 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 16.9 oz brown euro style bottle with a drink before date printed on the label.

Appearance: Cloudy kaki yellow with a powdery white lace that stays for a long time.

Smell: Fruity with hints of banana and pear ... mild tartness and clove like spice in the nose also.

Taste: Quite smooth and very crisp with an in your face carbonation. Soft malty palate with a medium body, the carbonation stirs up a spicy clove flavour in the middle and then quickly finishes with some nutty yeast, fruit, grain and a mild tartness. Hop bitterness is vague and almost not needed due to the character off set from the by-products of the yeast.

Notes: What more could you ask for from a wheat beer ... crisp, clean, refreshing, lively, fruity and spicy. One of the best for imported wheat beers ever to come to the US. (825 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Edelweiss Weissbier from Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)