Edelweiss Weissbier Snowfresh - Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)

Edelweiss Weissbier SnowfreshEdelweiss Weissbier Snowfresh

Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union) visit their website
Austria

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Derek on 06-23-2008)
bpfrush

08-10-2014 21:46:03 | More by Sheppard
AlexLMS

Portugal

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

Appearance: cloudy, no floating yeast and a pale yellow colour. The head is white, large and moussy with fair retention and little lacing.
Aroma: wheat, citrus and mint.
Taste: wheat, fruits (citrus), yeast and some herbal spices.
Mouthfeel: smooth, average carbonation, medium to low alcoholic strength and light body.
Finish: lingering grainy aftertaste.

Overall: crisp and refreshing. Not much flavour for a Hefeweizen but quenching on a hot day.

07-28-2008 14:12:12 | More by AlexLMS
pipinmalikonj

Croatia (Hrvatska)

11-21-2013 10:13:42 | More by pipinmalikonj
cfrancis

3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

A really nice beer on a lazy day. Pours hazy blonde with a white head, aroma is very nice with hints of citrus and hop with a hint of spice. Very enjoyable. High acidic citrus with a clean crisp taste. Almost a candy aftertaste that is quite enjoyable.

11-12-2009 03:20:50 | More by cfrancis
cratez

3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

330ml bottle from the LCBO. When I first tried Snowfresh a few years ago I thought it was amazing. This time, not so much.

A: light cloudy yellow, two fingers of rocky white foam, stringy lace clings to the shaker.
S & T: sweet herbs, flower pedals, citrus, some yeast and clove, very mild lemon juice, subtle tartness to end. There's a substantial, honey-like sweetness that reminds me of lavender. Kinda boring, to be honest.
M: soft, a little creamy, low carbonation, citric bite lingers on the tongue.
D: an uneventful quaff, not bad but fairly pedestrian. I don't think I'll return to this one.

07-05-2010 18:22:50 | More by cratez
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

Bottle courtesy of Piscator34: Poured an hazy yellow/white color weizen with a huge pure white foamy head with great retention and great lacing. Aroma of banana ester if dominating with some subtle sourness. Taste is also dominated by banana ester as well as lots of wheat and finished with some subtle sourness which is too bad because everything was perfect and pointing to a magnificent weizen. It is too bad that the style doesn’t travel well because I am sure that this stuff is great when fresh. The spices aspect of it is interesting but that weizen part of this really dominate.

07-13-2007 19:11:25 | More by Phyl21ca
Shadman

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

Will second the awesome bottle reference. Light amber in color, hazy, but not as 'thick' looking as other hefe's I've sampled. Big head that receded quite quickly. The classic banana/clove aroma is present along a spiciness that I can't pin down and will assume are the Alpine Herbs. Banana like malt up front for taste, followed by a pepper like spiciness. Alpine herbs( I assume) follow. Very Sen-Sen like which unfortunantly I didn't. Seemed a bit lighter in body compared to some Hefe's and as a fan I'll probably try another, but it doesn't score among my favorites.

10-29-2007 23:15:50 | More by Shadman
uno99

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Im not a fan of this style, but when I see somthing diffrent at my LCBO I always have to try it.

A: cloudy and pale. head dissapears very quickly

S: very floral and perfumy. slight medicinal quality. soapy. fresh.

T: sharp. soapy. floral hops. unbalanced.

M: quite thick. would be good with a meal. pasta, chicken.

D: I'll pass on this one.

08-29-2009 23:34:24 | More by uno99
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured into the Edelweiss glass, one finger of head on a hazy light straw colored body.
The aroma is faint lemon. Some more of something would have been nice.
The taste is wheat throughout with some mild lemon bitterness. Enjoyable.
The texture is smooth with moderate carbonation.
An enjoyable drink that tends towards a single wheat profile.

03-12-2014 08:21:31 | More by Fatehunter
CrazyDavros

Australia

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours cloudy amber with a large head.
Massive banana on the nose alongside bubblegum and doughy wheat. Smells like banana confectionery.
Nice banana and wheat flavours up front before a grainy note enters. Short finish.
Body feels watery.
Some sweet herbal note is noticeable in both the aroma and as a flavour, I can't quite pick it...

04-28-2011 01:58:29 | More by CrazyDavros
mrmanning

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Bottle-Cloudy yellow pour with a frothy but short lived white cap, leaving a little lace.
The aromas are banana and clove with lemon and malts with a minty, herbal essence that s quite interesting. That must be the alpine herbs. Tastes of lemon and other citrus fruit, sweet banana, cloves and again an interesting minty spiciness. I quite like it. The finish is creamy and lingering.

07-02-2008 13:13:10 | More by mrmanning
chunkylover53

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

This is an interesting little weiss, which claims to be brewed with Alpine herbs. I'm not sure what kind of herbs they grow in the Alpines, but they're quite tasty. Lots of citrus in the smell, with prominent notes of lemon and orange. Also something I can't quite put my finger on. There's a slight smell and taste of what I thought might be heather at first, but a quick google search of alpine flora leads me to believe that what I'm tasting is juniper. Maybe it's both. Either way, it's earthy and tasty.

Not a bad weiss, but now I've got that damn song stuck in my head. I hate the Sound of Music. Seriously. So I've Weird-Al-ized it, just for you...

Edelweiss, Edelweiss
You taste vaguely of heather.
A beer with sass, in my glass
Bless my liver forever.

Sure, it's no "My Balogna", but I hope you enjoyed it anyway.

08-04-2008 03:23:25 | More by chunkylover53
kwjd

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a cloudy pale yellow. Head started off thick, dissipating to a a cm or so with nice lace on the glass. The smell is strong candy banana flavour, almost like fake banana flavoured candy. The taste is dominated by the sweet banana, with the wheat you'd expect. It is tasty, but I think it is way too sweet for me. Nice carbonation level on this. Too sweet for me to give rate it high in drinkability. This isn't for me, but not a bad beer.

05-17-2010 23:49:14 | More by kwjd
hansavijaticar

Croatia (Hrvatska)

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

08-03-2013 13:26:59 | More by hansavijaticar
Swedes21

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

330 ml bottle poured in a chilled pint glass...

Appearance - pours very light and develops a nice foam head. Head is a crisp white and last for a few minutes, some nice lacing present. the beer is a opaque yellow amber appearance. Carbonation is normal to low.

Smell - a hint of citrus and herbs, something a little different. not overly crazy on the smell, just enough to draw attention.

Taste - WoW - this beer has taste! very lasting after taste as well. you can taste the hops come through in the sampling. goes down fairly smooth, with a creamy feel (although not that creamy!)

Mouthfeel - lotta of aroma floating around my mouth! The taste comes to life with the added carbonation. can really taste the creaminess of this beer in the mouthfeel.

Drinkability - This is a beer that as I drank more, i liked more. Wouldn't go hunt it down around the world, but not afraid to drink it again. Nice beer overall that offers a lot to the pallet!

10-14-2010 00:28:07 | More by Swedes21
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

Big head , cloudy hefe looking body though on the lighter side. What makes this a little different than your average hefe is the herbal flavour that appears on the finish. I like this addition as it adds rather than detracts from the cloves and banana taste. Like the regular Edelweiss Hefe it is on the lighter side taste side. All in all a pretty decent beer with a nice flavour twist

08-10-2007 01:34:10 | More by canucklehead
markaberrant

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

A - hazy orange-tinted straw colour, big fluffy white head, leaves a thick coating of lace

S - fresh banana and clove, well balanced, hint of some piney herbs in the background

T - pine character is more obvious in the flavour, but not overdone. Lacking in tartness, but still refreshing.

M - lively and light, airy, but mouthfilling, soft.

D - unique twist on the classic bavarian hefe, definitely drinkable and refreshing

I was pretty leery of another juniper beer based on my last experience(http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/826/31137/?ba=markaberrant), but I don't mind this one bit. The juniper character is in balance, you know it is there, but it does not overpower. The underlying hefe recipe is also pretty tasty, I hope to track down their Hefetrub in the future. Recommended.

01-31-2008 23:37:40 | More by markaberrant
fartkowski

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Serving type: 330ml bottle, bought at the LCBO.

It says on the bottle, Aromatic taste of Alpine herbs
Pours a light golden color with about a one inch foam head. Had a bit of a floral aroma to it.
A very light tasting beer. Almost tastes like ginger ale. It goes down very easy. I could definitely have several of these in a row.

01-11-2010 11:38:28 | More by fartkowski
Viggo

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

330 ml bottle from the LCBO.

Pours a cloudy amber/orange, big thick and bubbly white head forms, drops some nice lacing during its quick disappearance, decent retention, thing ring. Smell is weird, standard weissbier vanilla, bananas and spice, but with a sweet/sour herbal kick to it, wheaty, best word to describe for me is fresh, smells kind of like a cold winter morning, no lie! Taste is more of standard weiss, sweet malt, banana, vanilla, clovey spice, yeast, light herbal sour finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, pretty thick for a weiss and very enjoyable going down.

07-16-2008 02:25:50 | More by Viggo
Converge

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

330ml bottle poured into a 16oz pint glass.

A - Just over two finger of snow-white head. Cloudy, pale straw-yellow color. Great head retention with some lacing as well.

S - A whole barrage of different scents here. Slightly tart with a sort of acidic quality, but also tons of light fruit and spices. Some green apple acetaldehyde, not-quite-ripe-oranges, and floral hops. Lots of other light fruity and floral esters that I can't quite make out. Quite sweet as well.

T - Very muted fruitiness upfront with a lager-esque grainy finish. After such an interesting and intriguing nose, I'm a little let down. The acidic quality is still there, but I'm not picking up on much sweetness or spices. Strong wheat beer base and sort of citrusy, with notes of nectarine, figs, and green grapes. Not quite as crisp and fresh as I had hopes, but still nice.

M - Light carbonation with a bit of a creamy body. A touch yeasty residue on the back of my tongue too. Fairly refreshing and enjoyable.

D - Nice beer overall. The fruity profile could have probably been a little more pronounced, but it still had a nice refreshing taste and mouthfeel. I can certainly see myself revisiting this Austrian brew.

08-23-2011 22:44:41 | More by Converge
MAB

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer far exceeded my expectations- I love it when that happens!

It is a nice enough looking beer in the glass; thin head, yellow beer.
The smell starts to alert you. There's definitely a pine/ resin scent, and that's a good thing.
The taste is enhanced by the lively carbonation/ mouthfeel. I thought I detected spices, like cloves, in it. Quite sweet and a sweet finish.
Very refreshing, easy drinking.
Das ist Gud!

04-29-2008 19:08:58 | More by MAB
elricorico

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Hazy yellow orange with a thin white head. Head falls to a thin cap fairly quickly.

Smell is mostly clove, with a sweet banana base. A little bit of lemon zest. Not bad.

Tip of the tongue is treated to a very sweet banana flavour. The follow up is peppery clove and a what seems like coriander or cardamon. A citrus zest is mixed in throughout.

A decent amount of body for a hefe weizen, and the carbonation is lively but not overdone. This one is a nice summertime quaffer. I'm not sure what "Alpine Herbs" are supposed to taste like, but this presents itself as a fresh flavoured wheat beer.

05-31-2007 00:42:17 | More by elricorico
Edelweiss Weissbier Snowfresh from Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)