Join our email list →

Almaza Pilsner Beer - Brasserie Almaza S.A.L.

Almaza Pilsner BeerAlmaza Pilsner Beer

poor

Brasserie Almaza S.A.L.
Lebanon | website

German Pilsener | 4.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-27-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Almaza Pilsner Beer Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev +36.2%

Ran into this in the food court at our local Lebanese festival in Waterbury, CT. I naturally expected this to be mediocre pilsner fare, macro style boredom in a bottle, but I decided to give it a try since it was the first time I'd run across it. Now looking at my preceding reviewers here on BA I'm frankly a little surprised at some of the horrible assessments. Perhaps it is not reliably distributed where quality may be inconsistent depending on where you find it. But this cold bottle of brew made an instant agreeable introduction to my taste buds. It was indeed a typical light golden color with good liveliness and a short lived two-finger white head. No lacing to speak of. The aroma is mild but seems promising of a normal pilsner grainy biscuit satisfaction. The taste brings this along with a unique almond-like sweetness which I find curiously pleasing. I would say there is a slim cornmeal idea mixed into a very light honey-malt. What I finally determined is that this was a decent pilsner but it also reminded me of something along the lines of a very good no-alcohol brew like Hacke-Beck which I considered one of the better ones back when I occasionally drank that variety to cut down on alcohol intake. I happen to really enjoy those flavors, what I often refer to as cereal beers. This seemed to be in that category a bit, though still worthy of a pilsner label. It has a light-medium body with fine carbonation, very smooth, almost velvety feeling yet enough tingle to make it refreshing and highly drinkable. I would agree that this is no award winning beer, but as pilsners go, I was happily surprised and it went great with my kibbee sandwich and tabouli. I won't pile on this one, I say it's decent enough and a bit different.

3.78/5  rDev +35.5%

this is the beer i drink the most pretty much because its the most available one here. Reviewing it as served from a 33 cl bottle poured into a pint glass
A- Golden color, not pale at all, very consistent and with a nice head. however the head is short lived and if you like the foam, drink it fast.
S- A distinctive smell, has a faint aroma of fruit, you have to look for it to find it but it pays off when u do.
T- starts off as a typical pilsner that has an edge, then you realize its not so typical, it has a slightly fruitier flavor than other pilsners.
M- Smooth on the mouth, just a tiny bit overcarbonated, but i personally like it that way.
D- an overall drinkable beer, a regular beer of mine. leaves a nice aftertaste and very smooth on the palate. none of that bitter aftertaste.

Overall, as my ratings show, it's just an average beer in every way. Is there a green-bottled beer out there that isn't? I picked this up just to try a Lebanese beer.

It was a clear, bright yellow colour. A decent little head, but it didn't last long.

Smell... kind of skunky, no surprise. There is something a little hoppy or fruity about it, which is a plus... but it's pretty faint.

The taste... not so much skunky. Kind of refreshing (but faintly so, like the smell), kind of straw-like, kind of cardboard-like. Not bad like the Birra Morena I had a while back, though.

Mouthfeel was fine. Average.

Not a struggle to put down, but the only reason to do so is to say you've had a beer from Lebanon, and have the bottle in your collection.

3.27/5  rDev +17.2%

Had this beer served in a nice Lebanese restaurant in Paris. Served in a small pint glass from the bottle. Temperature was cool.

A-yellow body, fluffy white head

S-floral smell and sweet honey

T-very sweet grain front and honey aftertaste

M-light

D-Very different than a run of the mill pils. The honey edge is a pleasant twist. Overall flavor profile is okay. I would drink this beer again.

2.95/5  rDev +5.7%

A green bottled beer that tastes sweet grainy malt with a strong note of the cooked corn also hops were detectable yet relatively refreshing with a modest carbonation. don't know though why it uses a green bottle....
In all it is a drinkable beer, if you have no other alternative.

2.4/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

From the 11.2 fl. oz bottle with no expiration or bottling date. Sampled on Aug 1, 2010. The pour is a straw-yellow with a short lasting fizzy head along the lines of an American macros. The aroma emphasizes the malty ingredients but comes up feeling kimd of stale or old. The taste is about the same with a strong malty character and a lot of bread. Yeah, there are some hops in there if you swish your tongue a bit. Nothing extraordinary here but at least I can now say I drank a beer from Lebanon.

3.2/5  rDev +14.7%

Gold in color, with a thin white head that fades quickly, leaving a few patches.
Smell is faint, lightly spiced malts, euro yeast, touch of hops. Faint notes of ginger.
Taste is light, bready malts, touch of hops, little bitterness towards the finish.
Mouthfeel is crisp and watery, with a slightly dry finish. Light body. Thin on the tongue.
Drinkability is good, though there isn't anything remarkable or exciting about this one.

3.1/5  rDev +11.1%

I had this at a middle-eastern food restaurant, recommended by the waiter as the owner's favorite beer. Poured form an 11.2oz green bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This lager poured clear gold in color with with a thin 1/4" white head that was gone in an instant.

S= Lots of sweet grainy malt, and a fairly strong note of DMS (cooked corn). Makes me think this is more of an adjunct-laden lager than a German Pils.

T= Better than I anticipated from the smell and appearance. Yes this was an adjusnt lager with all of the cooked corn features one would expect but there was something interesting about this beer too. The malt was sweet and pleasant and the hops were actually detectable...sort of grassy and light, but there all the same. Finished relatively dry and refreshing.

MF= Lighter side of medium bodies with a creaminess to the mouthfeel that was unexpected. Modest carbonation.

D= A very drinkable beer, but overall an "ok" beer if you happen to be in a relevant restaurant and are pairing this with the food of its region. Otherwise, this is a pass beer.

3.27/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz green bottle. Good looking packaging, if only e bottle was brown.

Pours a deep gold with a white, fizzy, fast-dissipating head.

I don't get any skunk in the smell, it all depends on how much light it gets, this one was way in the back on the bottom shelf of the store in a store void of windows. It is mostly rainy sweet with an herbal hop kiss.

It has an interesting flavor, that Lebanese water is some interesting stuff. It has some robust grain flavors, a nice spiciness form more than just the hops, sourdough pretzel mineral water, and a bit of paper. It has a very unique flavor that reminds me of the food from it's area, im sure it would go good with middle-eastern food.

The mouthfeel is a bit too dry for the style, reminding one of an even-dryer Heineken.

It is okay, not really a pilsener and i didn't really rate it to the German Pils style, but a solid light Euro-styled lager.

2.85/5  rDev +2.2%

This is my first beer from Lebanon. The beer pours a clear macro yellow with a white head. The aroma is strong corn. The flavor is corn, bready malt, hops and some light sweetness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A pretty basic macro lager/German pilsner that doesn't have much to offer.

3.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours pale yellow with a fizzy white head. Little, if any, lacing.

Skunky whiff at the start, but mellows a bit in the glass. Raw grain, light malt, and grassiness are prevalent. The skunk knocked this down a notch.

Light malt flavor, some light hoppy bitterness, and some grassy sweetness. None of these flavors are awful, but it is a bit on the mild side -- almost too thin.

Thinner bodied, a bit too light, although the carbonation is ok.

Overall, I didn't hate this, but drank it more as a novelty. A far cry from he better German versions of the style. However, not a corn factory here. There is grain and grass and that helps considerably. Less than $2.00 for the bottle, so I said WTF. That's about it though.

2.29/5  rDev -17.9%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass may18 2010

A clear straw yellow with good carbonation and a thumbs width of bone white head that left a partial ring of lace

S grassy hops and skunk

T see above but with a little lemon

M well carbonated but thin and it has a quick finish(that my be a good thing)

D if was hot enough and if they darkened the bottle and I got a fresh bottle I might drink this if it was hot enough and my choices were very limited

Wow I'm so surprised that a beer from Lebanon is sub par

2.04/5  rDev -26.9%

Had in a glass from a 12 oz bottle at Aladdin's in Cleveland. Pours a straw yellow color with minimal head. Not very distinctive.

Has an unpleasant "skunky" smell. I'm not sure if this is typical, but it is not desirable. Beyond that smell is a yeasty malty smell.

Taste is unremarkable. Very light, almost watery. A slight spit aftertaste follows the barley and slightly grassy taste.

Mouthfeel is thin, reminding me of all the "pilsners" I had in college.

Unfortunately, it is not as drinkable as those pilsners were. I don't see getting another in my future.

2.51/5  rDev -10%

Smelled like any other euro lager that you may have tried.This was very pale in color, a bit like a light lager. The head quickly disappeared within seconds of pouring. I am not sure if the beer was on the shelf too long, but it was not something that I would buy again.

bottle green, color light yellow, i have tasted many beers but not as the almaza pilsner it has an exceptional taste that can be drank with several dishes, exquisite smell that as you drink it , the aroma feels ur lungs you just want more . exceptionally good a beer made in the lands of the cedars .

2.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Served in a Devil's Backbone pint glass.

Alright, my first trip into the beers of the Middle East and what do I get? This sad excuse for a German Pils, that's what. Not sure what I should've been expecting, but still... Now, the pour ain't all that bad: a nice clear pale straw, though the head leaves something to be desired. I know my nose is not the greatest in the world, but I don't get much from this brew regardless. I think there's some sweet corn, but I could be wrong. Real helpful, right? Yeah, I know, just stay with me here. My sad nose is vindicated somewhat when the taste reveals a good amount of the high fructose stuff, along with some stray generic grains poking through every so often. That's about it. Smooth, crisp, refreshing, but a bit dry and awfully dull, even for a pils. I don't know if I'll ever have the chance again, but if I do, it's doubtful I'd reach for another one of these guys (though I don't know that I'd necessarily turn down a free one).

3.13/5  rDev +12.2%

12 oz.

Pours a light golden with mild white head. Minimal retention.

Smells a bit sweet like fruity or citrusy malts.

Tastes mild. No bitterness that you would associate with a pilsner. Fresh grains.

Mild but thorough carbonation, moderate body.

Pretty good, but not fantastic. Easy to drink. Better to compliment food than to drink on its own.

1.69/5  rDev -39.4%

Bottle, 300 ml. Clean golden colour, it pours a small head that does not hold, though there's always a thin ring around it. Smell, well I really don't know what it is, besides being rather unpleasant. Body is absolutely light, watery. Taste, some grain and some citrus, a bit sour and nothing more. Better use your money on another one.

2.21/5  rDev -20.8%

0.33l bottle poured in a tulip glass.

That's a terrible beer...

A: Clear pale yellow color with a one finger head
S: Malt and corn, basically
T: Malt and corn. Very light hop taste. But yeah, the corn taste is really terrible
M: Light body and medium carbonation. Very light bitterness if compared with a real German Pilsener
D: Low. Corn should never be used to produce beer. Avoid it!

2.56/5  rDev -8.2%

11.2 ounce bottle - $5.50 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a translucent, darkened gold body with an assemblage of large bubbles slowly, lazily feeding a simple, white head.

Smell: Nothing too appealing or inviting; grainy husk notes with some meager hints of tired spicy, herbal hops.

Taste: Bready, conspicuously husky mixture of both pale and pils malts with a faint degree of supporting sweetness. Spicy, vaguely herbaceous hops with a low level of bitterness to counter. The flavors quickly washes out beyond a hint of pervasive buttery diacetyl until reaching the quite dry, crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Subpar but essentially tolerable (at best). Perhaps when in Lebanon you could get it LebanON with Almaza, but, otherwise, it's best to just pass it by.

2.48/5  rDev -11.1%

Had this at a local Mediterranean restaurant last night to go with the Lebanese food I had.Poured into a chilled glass a dull lighter yellow with a larger but quick to fade white head.Aromas of sweet aromas along with cooked veg,kinda unpleasant really.Flavors are pretty sweet up front with that "adjunct" vegetal and corn flavor,the aftertaste was off.We drank it ice cold,I couldnt imagine not.

4.12/5  rDev +47.7%

I don't know why I bought this beer. I guess I just wanted to try a "Product of Lebanon". But a funny thing happened...This beer is actually a good pilsener.

Poured a clear, light yellow color with a moderate head that dissipated to a wide collar. The aroma was not that skunky one you often find in these beers; but a clean, fresh, grain smell. The taste was lightly sweet, maybe a little on the bland side, not bad. The feel was light bodied with modest carbonation. Drinkability was excellent.

A pleasant surprise from the land of Cedars. It won't knock anyone's socks off, but very refreshing.

I am way outside the curve on this one, but that's OK.

33cL green bottle with no freshness date poured into pokal.

Pours a gold body, clear, with a small fizzy white head that disappears quickly.

Some corn and sugary aromas, with just a mild bit of florals.

Taste is predominately cooked veggies and corn, a bit on the sweet side with some mildly bread-like malt flavour. A brief grassiness from the hops.

Mouthfeel is fairly light, with moderate carbonation. Not as crisp or clean as I'd like.

Drinkability's ok, it's not great tasting or particularly refreshing, but I suppose it's not painful either. Reminds me of an adjunct lager, which is likely is.

2.78/5  rDev -0.4%

From a green 11.2 oz. bottle. Pours a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is pretty skunky. Not a lot of taste here. Some maltiness but a lack of flavor for the most part. Feels light in the mouth. Does go down pretty easily. Overall there is nothing special about this one.

2.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Had at the Lebanese Taverna in Adams Morgan, Washington DC.

A: Typical lager appearance: Clear, straw yellow, with about a finger or two of foamy head.

S: Adjunct grains with some faint sweetness lingering in the background.

T: Adjunct malts -- wheat, rice (maybe?) -- with a light sweetness.

M: Crisp and refreshing, though a bit watery.

D: Unobtrusive lager that pairs well with strongly-flavored Lebanese dishes by providing, really, nothing more than a break to clear the palate.

Almaza Pilsner Beer from Brasserie Almaza S.A.L.