Tomos Watkin's Magic Lagyr - The Hurns Brewing Co.

Tomos Watkin's Magic LagyrTomos Watkin's Magic Lagyr

The Hurns Brewing Co. visit their website
United Kingdom (Wales)

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed for lager drinkers who don't like the harsher taste of most premium lagers.

Magic is brewed with the finest floor malted barley, the best German lager hops, quality Danish lager yeast and clear clean Welsh water.

Painstakingly developed and trialled for over a year to enable us to bring to you an outstanding, classic, full flavoured but wonderfully clean finishing premium WELSH lager.

(Beer added by: fullsweep on 04-07-2009)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
jrfehon33

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

04-15-2012 16:51:16 | More by jrfehon33
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Today is 24th April, yesterday was 'Saint Georges Day', the patron Saint of England. Yesterday I asked my wife to pour me an English Ale to celebrate my Saints Day, she produced this, a Welsh Lager (sometimes I dispair!).

Anyway the brown 500ml bottle had been poured into my Batemans pint sleeve, so i had no choice but to consume and review it.

The label claimed it is brewed using the best German hops, finest English Malts (hurray for Saint George), Danish yeast and crystal Welsh water. It looked every inch a fine lager based beer, bright golden in colour with a firm pure white head sat majestically on top.

Sadly the smell let it down, there wasn't any, so it gets my standard score of 3 for a lager no show aroma.

I was however impressed with everything else, the lager was dry, refreshing and could certainly hold its own against most lager/pilsner style beers I've had and reviewed.

Pity it was Welsh, or should I say, pity I reviewed it on the wrong day?

04-24-2010 12:12:38 | More by BlackHaddock
indiapaleale

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Pour - very light golden to yellow in color. Quite clear with very tiny bubbles forming a rather large white head.

Aroma - grainy with slight hints of citrus and a bit of sour malt. Not a big nose on this but that is hardly to be expected from a light colored lager.

Taste - light malt flavor, some sour and citrus flavors and a very crisp clean finish. This is a very light drinking and light bodies lager. If I was to compare it to some of the other light lagers I've had I'd say this is very well done and easily one of the better versions of the style. Great job with a beer that can not hide any imperfections.

Overall - Excellent light lager, very smooth and easy drinking with a very nice finish. This is a great beer to drink with a spicy meal, perhaps a Brit-Indi vindaloo?

Would I buy more of it? - next time I am in Wales I'll be sure to look for this on tap. Until then, I am very thankful to have had the chance to try this. Cheers Kim!

01-30-2010 00:52:41 | More by indiapaleale
fullsweep

United Kingdom (England)

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

500 mL bottle poured into a tall lager glass.

Lagers skeptics, take note--this is a fine beer. Picked this up while passing through Notthingham on the way to Scotland.

Pours a pale yellow, resembling a Czech pilsener or Duvel in color. Rich, thick head.

Smells very pleasant and unusual. Picking up some mild fruitiness and even some sweet pea in the aroma.

Taste has the unusually mild sweetness with hints of legunes, again picking up the sweet pea (sounds strange, but it's very nice).

Mouthfeel is very rich and smooth, again similar to Duvel or Stauropramen in mouthfeel.

Highly drinkable beer--wish I could get this in the South.

04-07-2009 16:21:43 | More by fullsweep
Tomos Watkin's Magic Lagyr from The Hurns Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.