Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Saison De Pipaix - Brasserie à Vapeur

Saison De PipaixSaison De Pipaix

Brasserie à Vapeur visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison De Pipaix Alström Bros
4.54/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This should be really interesting, quite a polarizing saison here, apparently. I've heard that bottles of this are either absolutely outstanding, or astonishingly bad. That there can be that kind of variation with this beer makes me a bit excited, I'm going to be honest.

Cap popped with zero noise, which caused me to worry...only to realize that the bottle was also corked, Fantome/Cantillon style. Poured into a tulip, it looks like a slightly darker saison. It has the orange-gold color of a Double IPA, actually. Thin head, but good retention.

Cool aroma....I'm getting fig, pear, and a hit of ginger ale, as if it's some exotic soda drink. Slight undercurrent of barnyard/cat pee - not the same intensity of a lambic at all, but present.

Wow. Cold, I'm getting a lot of the freshly-molded-plastic character, no mistaking the Belgian-ness here. As it warms, the spices come more into play. I really have no idea what they are though....I'm thinking nutmeg and white pepper? While the beer is quite clearly spiced, I don't think the individual constituents are over-spiced to the point where they become obvious. The spices are well-integrated with the beer; they don't overpower it. As for the beer itself, it's quite fruity - to me, the dominant flavors are fig and pear. Not a lot of sweetness, though, which is great - to me, dryness is an essential characteristic of a saison. This isn't desiccating, with a small hit of pear sweetness up front, but it does come to a dry finish. Slight tart/funk character - not Fantome-ian tartness, but it's there.

Feel is soft and luxurious...very tiny bubbles here. Has a real naturally-conditioned living ale feel.

At 6%, flavorful and complex without being so complex that you have to slow down, this is an immensely drinkable beer to me. I'm a fan.

I hear of people aging this for long periods of time...I'm not sure why you'd want to do this, as to me this wouldn't seem to be the kind of beer that would benefit from extended aging. I say drink 'em now if you got 'em.

3.3/5  rDev -10.3%

This is an odd beer which unfortunately is a bit bland I find. It looks good with a slightly reddish amber color with a nice fizzy white head some retention, not much lace. The corked bottle adds a nice touch that this is a Belgian farmhouse ale with a French character.

The beer is very well carbonated and has that wild yeasty slightly vinegary taste. There is quite a bit of green apple and orange peel flavors in this beer, just not enough. There is too much of the wild yeast, the slightly bittering pepper bite towards the finish, too much the vinegary aftertaste, the mouthpuckering tartness and acerbic qualities. There just isn't enough of the fruity lambic type qualities, or the interesting Belgianesque floral yeasts needed to make this beer into a respectable saison. Too much mouthfeel and other odd qualities with this beer and not enough actual taste. There is a slight champagne quality to the mouthfeel as well.

3.24/5  rDev -12%

750ml bottle
6% ABV
I tried this beer on February 25, 2009 at "Smokeless Joe's" In Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer poured a cloudy reddish brown with a 1" thick white head. The aroma was musty, earthy, with a definite apple hint. The mouthfeel was slightly watery and mildly carbonated. The flavour was grainy malt, sour apples, and some earthiness.

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

750ml corked and caged bottle from the 1995 vintage into a mini-nonic, shared at a tasting.

A: Clear golden-amber with decent head and retention. Impressive for such an ancient saison.

S: Whoa. Intensely sour and funky, with lemony lambic notes far outweighing any and all saison qualities. Weird, but actually not too bad at all.

T: Starts cleanly sour, then some lemon an unripe grapes show up. Weirly woody, musty (corky?) finish is a bit of a downside. Still, pretty tasty in a crazy WTF kind of way.

M: Light-to-medium body is ok, but the carbonation promised by the initial pour never really materializes; pretty flat on the palate.

D: I can't take too much of this (a whole bottle would be a challenge indeed), but I did get a couple more ounces before moving on in the tasting. Very fun to try.

Notes: Thanks to Knifestyles for bringing this ridiculously old and rather stilly beer to start off the tasting. I don't know that I'll be seeking out 15 year old 6% saisons with any regularity, but it was a great experience getting to sample one - and it actually tasted damn good.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sealed with a cork. Pours an amber gold with a decent head that dissipates into a fine ring of foam, leaving some lacing.

Aromas are definitely malty and funky. Lives up to its billing as a farmhouse ale, if not the barnyard on the farm. A volatile smell of horseblanket, but that seems to dissipate a little with time or maybe one gets used to it. Yet there is a sweet caramelized malt smell, some brown sugar.

Taste is sweet malts, fruit (apple and pears), and definitely a bit more sour than it smells. Carbonation seems weak giving it a rather flat mouthfeel. Not good to let it sit too long. Also, there is a numbing sensation on the tongue and mouth that is a bit off-putting. Unless you like dental anesthesia.

The alcohol level is low enough, but I think this is one that I don't feel a need to finish the bottle. Given my choice was a Hennepin this evening, my exploration leads me to rank this as one of the lesser of the saisons.

1.15/5  rDev -68.8%

Mfielden brought over a bottle of this and then left in my fridge unopened as he made his departure. After trying it, I understood why.

The beer pours lifeless and nearly flat, the color of dirty sewer water.

It smells like spiced cardboard. White pepper, wet paper, uh...mostly wet paper, actually. This smells awful.

The taste is like cardboard drizzled with honey and spices. The herbal, medicinal mid-palate leads into a horribly oxidized wet paper and apple cider finish. Ugh, this is insanely bad. The bottle has no bottling date on it, so I have no idea if this is just very very old, or if the beer simply sucks.

3.01/5  rDev -18.2%

I drank this from 750 ml corked bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours a very dark gold, almost bordering on brown its so dark but its not. The head is an off rising about two fingers but falling quickly to a semi thick over. Good lacing. Tons of carbonation as there are bubbles all over the side of the glass.

The aroma is super sweet mostly all I get is apple juice with a hint of sourness at the end.

The taste is unlike any saison I've had. Its super light and juice like, not floralness or hops at all. There is a very light sour on the first sip but fades very quickly.

The feel is very light, not much going on.

Too sweet to be very drinkable.

3.87/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a capped and corked 750mL bottle into my Troubadour tulip.

Safety orange, persimmon, and rust gradient runs from the bottom to the top of the glass. ECE/SAE amber highlights lend the hazy liquid a soft glow when held up to the sunlight. Two fingers of champagne (color) foam recede to a lightly soapy collar and a miniscule raft. Lacing is fairly average.

Malty, yeasty, and fruity nose - with hints of cocoa butter, red bananas, strawberries/cherries, and orange liqueur as well.

Tart palate entry suggests wheat primarily along with a touch of lemon, loquats, and maybe rye. Some malty sweetness comes on next, along with unripe pear, and light fermenting yeast notes. Very low bitterness, though enough to offset the sweetness. Much the same into the finish, with a bit more bread crust.

Carbonation is a little low, but there is just enough creaminess to give this sufficient weight.

Rustic, with a specific signature to the flavor profile, though a little simplistic all in all. Worth trying if you are already a fan of the style, though I wouldn't start here per se.

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

Bottled in Oct. 1995. Not much pressure when I draw out the cork, and there's no head to speak of -- just a fine skein of white bubbles despite the vigorous pour. It's a slightly hazy, deep amber color, sort of like mead. The smell is cider vinegar, funk, wildflower honey. The taste is lots of cider vinegar, a twinge of hay, some earthy notes, with something savory toward the finish ending in honey mingled with wood sorrel. It's moderately viscous, low in carbonation, with a dry finish that keeps you drinking it. Perhaps not your hot-afternoon-saison, but certainly fine on a rainy March night.

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Snagged a bottle of this lovely Saison at the local Binny's in Lincoln Park.

Appearance- Pours a deep orange, almost amber coulor with a quickly rising and falling off white/very light beige head. Some sediment in bottom of bottle produces a little haze in brew.

Aroma- Hints of tangerine, sourdough bread, and some sweet malty notes. A kiss of alcohol evident amongst other tart/sour notes.

Flavor- Starts moderately sweet, fruity, and citrusy but tartness and subtle earthy hops pop off of the tongue helping to balance the tartness and fill the mouth. Slight spiciness/sourness plays nicely with the dry, somewhat yeasty finish. Malt flavor and orange peel/spices linger for quite some time...but the intense dryness calls you back for another temporarily thirst quenching sip! A vicious cycle...

Mouthfeel- Moderate-high CO2, almost champagne-like bubbles. Medium bodied but as the brew warms and the alcohol becomes more notable, it feels like a bigger beer. Very dry, almost leaves the mouth feeling parched!

Overall- Quite refreshing, but only up front. Leaves you wanting more...and more...and more! Great brew for warmer weather. Would likely pair well with dubliner or parmesan cheeses, pizza, and salads with sweeter dressings and/or fruit. This brew may not be a crowd pleaser, but its a lot of fun to drink (and watch other people drink!)!

2.18/5  rDev -40.8%

A cloudy amber color with light and thin white head.

Nose is light yeast/white bread and light spice; nothing real assertive.

Mouthfeel is light and thin.

Flavors are light, thin and watery with no real identify or character. There is no finish. Go for Sparkletts instead.

2.67/5  rDev -27.4%

Cork and capped 11,2cL bottle, vintage unknown labeled at 6.5% ABV, poured into a tulip.

The cork slides out with nary a sound and no carbonation that I can detect. An aggressive pour produces a small collection of large bubbles that recedes immediately to a razor thin collar.

The aroma is weird and smells almost like spoiled apple juice. There is definitely a deep musty funk with some fruit sweetness and an interesting spiciness that's tough to pinpoint, definitely some pepper and anise.

The taste is even weirder, if possible, and not in a good way this time. It's extremely watery overall with a tart fruitiness mixed with a heavy musty character. The spices, especially anise are most present in the finish.

The mouthfeel is almost completely still and extremely slick with a dry tart sourness in the finish.

This may have just been a bad bottle, but I really didn't like this one at all. The smell resembled something like a saison, but the taste was just not that pleasant and the complete lack of carbonation didn't help. Yuck.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

750ml brown bottle with cork and cap, could not locate a brewed on/bottled on/best by date, purchased at Downeast Beverage ( http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2925 ) on 10/20/09, drank that night. Vigorous pour into an oversized wine glass created a one finger head that very slowly died down to a heavy sheet that remained throughout, good carbonation, slightly cloudy, light amber in color. The nose has just a touch of funk/damp cardboard, tart fruit, hints of ginger, some nice yeast notes, as this beer warmed the ginger became much more prevalent. The taste is more of the same, the tart fruit is much more pronounced and again the ginger makes a better appearance as this warmed as does some earthiness, very nice dry fruity finish. Nice light mouthfeel with lots of zingy carbonation. This was a really nice beer to go along with my roasted fall vegetable soup, I think that I would keep this as a food beer though, not sure I would want to drink this on its own, but great with an assortment of meats and cheeses.

3.07/5  rDev -16.6%

750 mL bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter. Brewed 07/1995, bottled Oct. 1995.

A - Slightly hazy bronze-colored body with very, very little head formation.

S - Smells like a gueuze. There is that distinctive vinegary, funky, tart, leathery smell that draws me to lambics and gueuzes. The most prominent notes are apple cider vinegar, apricots, tart cherries, and old leather.

T - Again, apple cider vinegar comes to the fore. It is very, very tart, with a long fruity finish. I don't taste any of the spices or hops that the label claims were used in making this brew.

M - Very light-bodied, and almost no carbonation. I don't really like the way this feels at all.

D - I would never have called this a saison in a blind taste test. If not for the very minimal carbonation, I would have called this a gueuze (and a not well-made one at that). Normally I'll pull through and finish a brew, but this one turned out to be a drain pour. I wonder if the brewers intended the beer to smell, taste, and feel this way. I'm guessing not...

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a clear, amber/golden color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Great retention and good lacing. Smells of tart malt, yeast, acid, and slight citrus. Fits the style of a Saison/Farmhouse Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. There is also a strong tartness associated with this brew. Tastes of tart malt, yeast, pale malt, and acid. Overall, a little lacking in body and complexity, but still a drinkable saison.

3.94/5  rDev +7.1%

Hi. Still new to the review thing, but here goes...

Came to me in an 11 oz bottle from a friend who dug into his beer cellar for 2 cases of variety as a thank you for dog sitting for a week. 'Tis an easy dog to have over, so the generous payment in beer was much appreciated.

I had no idea what to expect. I was busy brewing a batch of beer, so didn't take the time to read other BA reviews. I wish I did take a minute however...

O: for opening... under the cap... surprise! a cork. Very old and crumbly, had to utilize every bit of my wine opening technique to get it out. And it still broke. Managed to get it out without any floaters.

A: Looked like cider, some carbonation coming up from the bottom, but not a lot. Thin, lacy head dissipated after a short period of time.

S: Citrusy tree fruit (tart apples, touch of lemon, etc) was predominant. Caramel was evident as well as a touch of cinnamon. I see other reviews listed ginger root, had I read the reviews first, I may have smelled some ginger. But I was getting cinnamon. A touch of mustiness, grasses? Straw? Now I read the label and there is corriander, orange, and smoked chicory.

T: I was not expecting a Saison in the Sour Beer range of things. This was where I wished I read reviews ahead of time. I was very surprised and taken aback at how sharp my initial taste was. I was expecting a smooth Saison, so at first it seemed like vinegar. As my palate adjusted, and I stopped thinking "beer", I began to enjoy the flavor after a few seconds. This was a unique beer. And I liked it. A lot. I couldn't drink more than a bottle due to the strength, the sugars, and palate fatigue.

M: Pretty thin. It didn't coat my mouth very much. I certainly wouldn't describe it as "full bodied". But the flavor certainly did linger. And it was a bit astringent. Carbonation was a bit prickly under all the acidity.

D: Once I got past the acidity, I had no problems with this beer. It was 90deg and humid outside, and pretty steamy in the kitchen with 5 gallons of potential yumminess at a full boil. But I needed something mellower after the bottle. This is a sipping beer, careful if you're sitting on the deck on a hot day and you're seeking something refreshing to knock back.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

750ml bottle, the Publican Chicago

paired with a variety of oysters and aged ham

cell-phone notes

appearance: served in a nice chalice, well carbonated - straw-yellow body with a frothy white crest and strong retention

smell: straw/hay funk, noticeably tart, yeast is rather earthy in nature

taste: earthy and almost herbal at times, yeast provides a nice sweetness but there is a chalky tartness that is a little out of place. hay, grass and mild citrus zest form the base. fairly acidic and highly carbonated - paired well with our first dishes

mouthfeel: tart, light, carbonated

drinkability: good

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured this 25.4 oz. green bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date. Natural cork topped by a cap. The body was slightly hazy and bright, rich golden in color. The head was tall and creamy, eggshell white. Head broke down to webby froth.

Smell was spritzy lemony sweet. Black peppercorn and peach skin. Ginger?

Taste was crisp and balanced. Minerals. Damp/dank. Short dry finish. Vinous. Refreshing.

Mouthfeel was medium/light in body with light pin prick carbonation.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

A: the color is as nice as a good summer sunset. Bright oranges with yellow hues and a soft amber color floating directly in the middle of the glass. The look is made shiny by the loads of bubbles floating around. No real head formed and fizzy ring remains at the top

S: acidic whiffs with lemons and tart apples. Very mild barnyard smells of hay and straw. I also gather something I can only describe a ginger root

T: flavors put forth a somewhat strong acidity with a touch of vinegar. The elements of the farm funk are softly available to the palate and the dominant flavors are of citrus augmented by pears, sour apples, a twist of lemon all sprinkled with white pepper. Body has the fruity appeal reminiscent of white wine on the palate with the carbonation of a champagne

M: two main words: coarse 'n' dry. The body is a true fizzy lifting drink. Carbonation makes gulping difficult and sipping with the window open on a nice warm day makes things a bit more enjoyable. The body is very light and airy

D: a sipper all day long. This is one of the better Saison's I have had. The flavors rely on fruity wine notes and are amped up by the strong carbonation. It also is not loaded with musty farm smells or tastes. It is different...

4.12/5  rDev +12%

A - Hazy amber with a huge white head that dissipates and laces

S - Funky alcohol with hints of spice and fruit

T - Classic saison taste, but twisted with funk and barnyardy fruit. The hints of spice and fruit are mild but evident.

M - Heavy in carbonation and light in body.

D - While very funky, extremely drinkable and smooth. Just the right amount of funk to cover up the traditional saison flavors and make for a delicious combo.

3.77/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Capped and corked bottle. Pours a hazed golden amber color with two plus fingers of frothy off-white head. Head settles relatively slowly and maintains a pretty nice lace and leaves a splash of webbing here and there, as well.

Smell is initially fruity and full of funk. I get apple and pear, and a good amount of must and earth, as well. It's a pretty spicy nose, too, and has a nice amount of funky yeast character. It's complex and funky and I love it; reminds me quite a bit of some Fantome's. So far I'm scratching my head about why this isn't rated higher...

Ok now I see why. The taste overall just seems a bit thin and lacks depth of flavor. There is some slightly tart fruity flavor, like slightly acidic apple cider. Also some must, earth and spice. It's a bit sour, as well. But where the nose was bold and complex the taste just doesn't match up. All of the flavors that are here could be a notch bolder, and the yeast, which clearly gave so much to the nose, just doesn't deliver the same depth of character to the flavor. It tastes like a slightly watered down version of what could be a very good beer.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied but as noted before it feels watery and too thin. Slightly dry with a crisp, citric finish owing to the slight sourness.

At the end of the day this is a pretty good saison but at times it felt like it could be a truly superb one. It just comes it a bit short as the taste fails to deliver all that the nose foretold. Definitely worthy of a try for any fan of saisons, however.

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured into my fullers vintage glass.

Green bottle corked. One finger tan head, clear amber body. Nose is beligan yeast, some sweet, maybe chocolate. Hmm, taste is watery body, pepper, cellar mold. Some carbonation in the body, but really this flavor is really offensive. A little sour, but really I can't get into this one. I think its way past its prime. Drinkability suffers from the off putting flavors. Looks like a drain pour.

3.31/5  rDev -10.1%

Got to sample a bottle of this at a Beer Advocate gathering this evening (4/1/09). Colour... rather peach like and slightly clouded. Nose... reminiscent of the dankest, deepest, mustiest part of my basement, but with some newly mown hay and cow barn thrown in. Palate... funky, musty, vinegar, little bit o' ginger, anise(?), light carbonation, decidedly puckering.

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy peach nectar color with a rocky head that leaves a nice pattern of lace

Smell: Cut hay, with green apple, coriander, white pepper, vanilla and hints of anise and ginger

Taste: Green apple tartness up front and then the spices make their appearance, with the vanilla and coriander arriving at first, followed by the pepper; somewhat funky and sour by mid-palate; after the swallow, the flavors drift toward a peppery finish; all the while, there is a very subtle sweetness that I did not notice at first, but became more prominent as the beer warmed

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with fizzy carbonation

Drinkability: Different from any other Saison I have tried; love the subtle and interesting mix of flavors, particularly the impact of the vanilla and ginger

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

750ml green bottle. no date.

almost clear, amber honey. lots of fluffy head, fades to thin layer and wisps. nice lacing. (however the cork is not very solid, and i had to fish out bits of it from my glass...)

apple and cider aromas, with slight farmhouse funk and hay. grassy hop, with notes of dried orange peel, dried ginger, and hint of phenol.

palate brings more apple and pear fruitiness, but overall quite dry. phenolic quality isn't bad overall, but jumps out at the start along with the fruitiness. gentle funk throughout, and mild-to-moderate bitterness, managing to meld with aforementioned phenols. hint of acidity.

every so slightly watery. some acidity and astringency. carbonation is a bit on the overly prickly side.

Saison De Pipaix from Brasserie à Vapeur