Vapeur Cochonne - Brasserie à Vapeur

Vapeur CochonneVapeur Cochonne

Brasserie à Vapeur visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Vapeur Cochonne Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Starts off with a very bubbly almost white head that soon fades to just about nothing all too quickly.
Funky! I'm not sure what it is that I'm smelling.
This is pretty sour for the style. Kinda like biting into a grapefruit rine. Aftertaste is very light and lingers for some time. Very enjoyable, reminds me of flowers. The only time I notice the ABV is in the nose. One 750 is plenty.

MrNuggets, Jan 01, 2005
3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

Lasting and dense although slightly irregular head on a nice-looking purple to mahogany color body. The smell is fruity – red fruits – sweet and smooth like an infusion. Floral too. The taste is harsher, with stronger notes of wood getting close to tartness. Winy, almost kyr-like (cassis and white wine) (or royal kyr, with champagne). Definitely cassis. Enjoyable, although a bit harsh on some sips. Mouthfeel almost gets syrupy at times. Hops appear in their full dryness in the back of the mouth. Nothing that really makes it a “vapeur cochonne”, as stated on the label, but interesting and drinkable.

tjd25, Dec 27, 2004
3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Extremely wacky labelling, with a pig running holding a feather?? or something. A green cap, nothing on it. This is an amber coloured beer, forming a large-bubble head which seemed to go away fairy quickly. Lacing is fair, leaving pactches of off-white foam. Honey brown, some red in the colour. The aroma is definitely sour, in the wet-cardboard style. There is not much complexity in the smell, though I do detect sweet caramel, butter, extreme malt, and sourbread. There is a fleeting note of hops in the smell. The taste is also not extremely mystifying: sweet malt up front, followed by a sour middle, and ending with a tart fruity note. There is little to excite the tastebuds. An aftertaste of sesame, honey, and syrupy sauce. The mouthfeel is decent, besides the everpresent sourness. Drinkability is low for me; this would become far too tart for more than one bottle. I am not impressed with this. There is little balance and even less complexity. The alcohol is well-masked in the sweet and sour taste, however. It is hard to believe that this is 9%. Overall, I would not go out of my way to purchase this again. There is something in the mouthfeel and taste that puts me off. The lees are a dirty-milk white, less sour and smoother.

Cwrw, Dec 17, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

I like the label on this one. Piggie's got a clean bottom, don't he?
Murky, deep amber, little floaties dotting the landscape, under a fine, pudding-y head that softly drifts down from an impressive several inches thick at first pour.
Funky and sour in the nose, with bright fruit to complement, a lemon/peach tango. Spices are prevalent, and oddness prevails.
Taste: ooo! The weirdness continues. Starts fierce, then fades with all those flavors found in the nose at play on the palate. Dark fruit, citric, and spices, but they take a powder a bit too quickly, and do very little in the mouth.
Medium bodied, with a fruity, but brief finish.
This is a nice, tasty brew, but very quirky. I feel as if I got a "good bottle" when I see some of the other reviews here, but hey, you get lucky some times...or ...do you?

feloniousmonk, Nov 24, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Pretty, deep red, hazy body with a large, noisy cream-colored head on top. The aroma is grapelike and sweet, almost like a port. The flavor is soft and warm, dark, nutty malts mingle with raisins and more port-like grapes. I thought I was getting coffee-like notes, but after reading the description, I’m betting it’s from the chicory intead of the malt. Tasty.

aracauna, Nov 23, 2004
2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a dark copper with a light head that disappers quickly. Clarity is a little obscured, a little hazy.

Smell is slightly vineagery with a slight lemon hint.

Taste is canned mandarin oranges at first and then more like an orangey syrup. Maybe a little maple in there, too. Not offensive or bad, just unidimensional and slightly cloying. Sort of like an orange soda pop with some iced tea mixed in.

Mouthfeel gets a little syrupy with sparse carbonation making this feel odd.

I'll finish half the 750ml bottle but that's it.

silenius, Nov 19, 2004
2.63/5  rDev -22.6%

11.2 fl oz bottle.

A fizzy white head that fades to a thin sheet after a moment. A bit of spotty lacing with average strength. Slightly hazy, light brown in color. Some noticeable sediment.

A tart fruit aroma: lemon, orange along with an odd vinegar mustiness. A touch of candied malt sweetness. The aroma is more reminiscent of a sour.

The most obvious flavor is a fruity tartness: sour apple, grapefruit, and lemon with some vinegar. A powder candied sugary underlying sweetness. Some clove/herb spiciness that creates a dry finish. A mouth puckering and unbalanced aftertaste. The typical Belgian Strong Dark's rich malt character is absent. All of these flavors are unbalanced and unflattering.

Medium bodied; thin, very little carbonation. Weak on the palate. Leaves an unpleasant film on the mouth.

The one positive about this ale is how well its 9% abv is hidden. With that said, this ale is an unpleasant offering that I won't be going back to. A disappointment.

NEhophead, Nov 02, 2004
1.6/5  rDev -52.9%

Call me a sucker, but I simply can't pass up an unfamiliar bottle of Belgian beer with a happy, large-breasted pig dancing around on the cover waving something (what is that, her brassiere?) over her head. Even if it did cost $12 for the 750ml.

Damn me and my impulse buys.

This beer is, quite simply, very poor. Not a bad looking color. Sort of a pale reddish/orange, but almost completely untroubled by carbonation -- just enough to produce a thin halo around the top.

There's not much of an aroma. But given the charcter of the aroma there is, this might be a blessing in disguise. Weak and obsequious smelling.

A harbinger of the flavor to come, I'm afraid. Again, the only blessing is that the flavors aren't stronger than they are. A bit of sugariness starts the sip and soon dissolves into cheap soda pop. The alcohol burns at the back end without contributing any flavors of interest. The mouthfeel, meanwhile, is thin and fizzy.

The *only* redeeming feature of this beer, oddly enough, is that it has a mildly pleasant aftertaste. Don't ask me how, but there's a gentle burnt toffee flavor that lingers in the mouth well after the sip, as if trying to convince you that the mouthfull you just had wasn't that bad -- go on, try it again!

Dumped down the drain. I won't even drink enough of this to get a buzz before bedtime.

mzwolinski, Oct 07, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +19.1%

Massive, intensely fizzy, cracklin' loud cap of foam. Rice Crispies in milk bow to the noise currently emanating from my glass. The hugely stiff, blown styrofoam-like head is falling quickly (how could it not, given the deafening roar of bursting bubbles) and leaves no lace. The initial pour is as bright tangerine as any IPA from the U.S. left coast and the final pour is indistinguishable from fresh, sweet apple cider. Ultimately, the aural sex is over and I'm left looking at a spotty, spent film on the surface of the beer.

The nose is butterscotch fruity and smells like golden raisins swollen with dark rum. Alcohol is front and center, but is so completely integrated into the flavor of the beer that is doesn't bother me at all.

Cochonnette reminds me of a sweet dessert wine, some variety of port perhaps, with notes of dried fruit soaked in honey liqueur, an appetizing sourness and an oakiness that gives it a stately character. Candied orange peel completes the picture; hints of Grand Marnier. The syrupy slick mouthfeel is perfect for the flavor that it carries. Sip and savor.

I didn't expect to like Vapeur Cochonnette nearly this much. I have yet to cultivate a love affair with Belgian beer, but perhaps I just haven't had the right one. I have no illusions that this is among the elite, but so what. I like it and that's all that matters.

BuckeyeNation, Sep 14, 2004
2.08/5  rDev -38.8%

I don't like this. Served in a 10 oz. glass at Spuyten Duyvil. I had tried the Cochonette previously, and thought it interesting, if not somewhat enjoyable. The Cochonne, however, had many of the same flavors (cinnamon, burnt toast, malt) drowning under a heavy medicinal character. No hops to speak of. Carbonation was non-existent from the beginning. I was surprised, because the Cochnonette (out of the bottle) had a tremendous and persistent carbonation that really improved the beer. But the Spuyten crew assured me that the low carbonation was normal here. If so, boo. I struggled to finish even a 10 oz. glass.
Pass on this puppy.

bultrey, Aug 20, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +15.6%

The beer after it has spurned the 330ml brown bottle takes up temporary residence in my glass, the color a gauzy deep orange with a modest frothy head that disappears quickly leaving a thin and silky sheet of lace to coat the glass. Nose is plum like in its sweetness, fresh and clean, pleasing to the olfactory senses, start is sweet with a nice light malt presence, the top thin. Finish is vinous bordering on astringent, the hops light, aftertaste extremely dry and tart, not sour mind you, a drinkable brew.

Gusler, Aug 14, 2004
2.68/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a deep amber color, it is pretty clear except for the large floaties that have stirred up from the bottom of the bottle. Pours with a wispy off-white head that does not stick around for very long. There is not much in the way of aroma here, a bit of sourness, some cider character, and a bit of alcohol is all I can pick up. The taste is lightly sweet, and quite thin as well. I get a weak cidery flavor, this is definitely a big disappointment. There is nothing wrong with this beer per se, but it is just weak and lame.

Gueuzedude, Jul 28, 2004
3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

My 11.2 oz bottle has the same label as Brent describes in his review here. Pours a slightly hazed, orange/copper body with a short lived offwhite head. Attractive lacing is left down the side of the goblet.

Aroma has spicy coriander and a pervasive, and curious, chocolate note. Faint aroma of orange peel is in the background.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and has plenty of fizzy carbonation.

Taste is unusual for this style. Very spicy, with some bitter chocolate, vinous alcohol burn, and a hint of bittersweet orangepeel. Alcohol burn becomes abrasive at room temperature.

This bottle appears new, based on the label's mint condition. Label states this "conserves" very well. Perhaps, this one will improve with some age. Overall, at this stage it's a sour and bitter ale with an overwhelming alcohol presence that is burning, instead of warming. No problem finishing the bottle, but I wouldn't care for another.

merlin48, May 29, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

11.2oz thick brown bottle. No Date.
It pours a murky amberish/tan with a big beige head a smattering of lacing.
The aroma is this beer's best attribute. Smells of cut hay, sweet caramel malt, citrusy hops, lemon hard candy and white rum mix quite nicely.
Fresh bread dough, malt, caramel, plums and ripe bananas provide an ample body.
Lemony hops, cloves, coriander and peppery spices make up the hop department.
The alcohol, while noticeable, is a good supporting team player in this brew.

BeerResearcher, Apr 10, 2004

Okay folks, I'm trying to figure out what is going on here. My bottle is labeled 'Cochonnette, petite vapeur cochonne" - when I check the listing for this brewery's "Cochonne" I see that on that bottle's label pictures a pig with a towel drying his "privates". The label on my beer shows a female pig, with a t-shirt showing the pig on the "Cochonne" bottle, and she is waiving a towel (I guess the same one the male pig was using?). I'm sure there is some twisted symbolism here. But why "petite?" The bottle is the same size, the style the same, and the abv the same. In fact, it looks like some people have reviewed this beer under the other listing. I'm not sure how the two differ. Oh yeah, there is some beer in the bottle, also.

First pour into a small chalace was rather light in color. Subsequent pours with more of the yeast darkened the brew. The label proclaims "bottle conditioned, unpasteurized, brewed with pale and munich malts, hallertauer hops, sweet orange peels, coriander, roaster (sic) chicory. refermation in the bottle. long conserving" - sounds good to me. Wonder why they didn't put this stuff in the beer? Whatever the ingredients, the net effect is a sort of generic caramel flavor, with a hint of apple peels. Some pepper from a bit raw alcohol. For a pretty average Belgian beer, it is somehow engaging and more drinkable than it seems it should be.

Brent, Jan 07, 2004
1.38/5  rDev -59.4%

Appearance – Orange in color with some carbonation but no head whatsoever.

Smell – Very faint and bland spicy aroma with a touch of yeast. There’s not much there, but I’m picking up a sour-type of smell that doesn’t remind me of any BSDA that I’ve had before.

Taste – Ouch! This is sour as hell. I can’t taste anything other than a horrible sour taste.

Mouthfeel – This was quite the pucker-upper. It was thin, fizzy, and lame.

Sinkability – There’s no way that I’m finishing this one.

RoyalT, Dec 16, 2003
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oddly, I liked this beer, even tho a long way from my fav, the IPA. Arrived a murky medium amber with a short head. Interesting ring and lace followed in that the peaks and valleys were prominent.
Carbonation appears light.
Body is full.
Aroma had a sweet floral quality to it.
The taste was full fruity and lightly hopped to balance.
Alcohol presence was minor and only in the taste.
Just a tad syrupy sorry to say.

Shiloh, Dec 12, 2003
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An interesting tasting beer to throw your friends off. Mix it up with others. In a spicy meal you can share a bottle. Not sure it would hold up by itself. ALcohol and carbonation there and a bunch of spices and tastes on the tongue that seemed like spiced rum. Bottle's wild picture makes you contemplate your life.

Sammy, Dec 07, 2003
2.83/5  rDev -16.8%

Pretty disappointing for a Belgian.

Slightly cloudy orange-red, utterly headless and lace only with the first few mouthfuls.

Spice, malt and fruit in the nose. Flat mouthfeel, not enough carbonation to be had. Dry, orange peel flavour, noticeable alcohol as the beer warms up, but doesn't give that nice warming of a well done strong beer.

Drinkable, but not something I'd work to track down.

Note that my bottle was labelled Vapeur Cochonnette. The label sports a she-pig rather than a he-pig. Same beer – both Belgian Amber Ales.

TerryW, Dec 04, 2003
2.2/5  rDev -35.3%

Believe it or not, I actually could not finish this beer. Me, the girl that glares at bartenders if they try to take my glass away and there's still a drop left in, actually pushed this beer away after 2/3.
I love Belgians, and if there's one on at Redbones that I've never had, I get excited. I've discovered so many delicious beers there, so naturally, I was delighted to see this beer on tap. Here goes: Dark cloudy apricot color. I picked up cinnamon in the aroma, but also some unpleasant medicinal notes. Unfortunately, the taste was more reminiscent of the medicinal flavor...and the mouthfeel was also syrupy. I thought there was an over-all medicinal flavor that was just unpleasant, and like I said, I just couldn't take it anymore and was unable to finish the glass (a 10.5 pour). Maybe this is better in bottles, but I don't think I'll take the chance again if I see it on tap. pat

PatandDavid, Nov 25, 2003
2.73/5  rDev -19.7%

This beer just didn't quite fit the bill for a Belgian Ale in my opinion.It really tasted "off" its mark.There was virtually no head and there were fine sized bubbles that quickly dissipated.The body was very yeasty and cloudy with a copper hue.The nose was lightly sweet with a weird taste to it.The mouthfeel was tingly, smooth and medium bodied.The lacing was sparse.

hotstuff, Nov 03, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

She pours a dark amber color with some chill haze a beige head, some carbonation rolling up from the bottom of the glass, and plenty of sediment. It keeps a lasting layer of foam and some nice lacing. The aroma is like sherry, fruity esters, bubblegum, tart and some plum thrown in. The Mouthfeel is full-bodied, creamy, effervescent, with a dry finish, and yet unusually light on the palate. It has a nice mellowing, warming effect as it goes down. An interesting brew with good balance and complexities, but not overwhelming.

SeanChouffe, Nov 03, 2003
3.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Tasted at the Vapeur brewery after a Sunday brewery tour, amidst a throng of bike racers. Unusual dispensing technique into a large stein like apparatus from the tap which is then drained from the bottom. Our pourer had run out of smaller glasses so we each had an imperial pint of this beer which had a nice amber cloudy color, somewhat spicy and medicinal flavor that mellowed through the course of the beer. Slight astringency. Good mouthfeel. The bottle label is a bit disturbing.

pluto, Oct 18, 2003
3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Dark brown color, small head. Very malty, sweet with an apple like flavor. Flavored with orange peel and coriander. Taste is a complex blend of fruitiness, chicory, hop bitterness and malt sweetness. Some alcohol bite (9%). Mouthfeel is smooth and full, slightly oily (alcohol). Finish is crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Interesting beer.

beerguy101, Sep 30, 2003
2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

I'm just not sure what to make of this one. It looked OK; I didn't have quite the carbonation issues I noticed in skimming some of the other reviews. But it did have a slightly "off" smell to it, and the flavor was between buttery and sour -- on top of the fruit flavors, that is. No finish at all. It wasn't all too bad, despite its perceived flaws. But I'm going to leave this as an average rating until I have another bottle to examine it again. It seems like it could be really good; there was a lot of interesting tropical things going on. But the buttery and sour flavors gave it a bit of a "left-out-over-night" mai tai feel. Will need to try again.

marburg, Sep 01, 2003