Red Rocket Ale - Bristol Brewing Company

good

Bristol Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: marcobrau on 09-27-2003)
4.9/5  rDev +40.8%

Went by the brewery today for a swift pint & didn't find anything big that struck my fancy, so I gave this a shot, I don't remember this tasting this good before, but this my 1st review for this so it gets a break

Poured amber/red with a 1.5: white head. Head retention was average and lacing was good

Smell: Huge "in your face" piney and floral hop aroma, blew me away. Some malt fruittyness snuck through

Taste: Big piney and citrussy hops folowed by fat maltiness and fruittyness. Finished hoppy and quenching (fruitty)

MF: Perfect balance and good carbonation, maybe slightly
overdone

I could drink this in draft form all day. Will have to try again to see how it fares. I find this to be a good not great beer in the bottle. But still worth a try in that form as well

follow up 5 may 2007, purchased a keg for a party & stand by my original raiting!

russpowell, May 13, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

12oz single from Brennan's, bottled in the 3rd week of august apparently

appearance: a hazy apricot-amber, mysterious cloudy body, a mild foamy beige head tops it off, bubbly lacing throughout

smell: pretty faint aromas, lightly sweetened caramel malt, some grapefruity hop aroma, mildy floral bouquet

taste: rather enjoyable, super fruity...passion fruit, sour grapefruit, slight lemon zest....slightly chalky, floral american amber like flavours...nice flavours, not very juicy though...hops are dry and subdued

mouthfeel: medium body, chalky, smooth

drinkability: pretty good session, a nice little apa

dirtylou, Jan 30, 2006
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This poured an opaque mandarin orange with good head and lacing. Floral aromas were distinct in the bouquet, with the predictable hints of citrus as well as a strong carmel overtones which were a nice surprise.

The maltiness and creaminess carry over to the taste and almost overwhelm the hops which seemed to linger well but were noticably underpresent during the first seconds on the palate. Over the course of a pint, I grew more accustomed to the balance between the sweetness (strong) and the hops (lingering, afterthought) and at one point I was reminded of an ESB more than an APA.

I'd give this another shot in a single or on-tap but would hesitate to buy a six-pack.

benito, Nov 01, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +21.3%

A clear amber color with a thin head served almost ice cold in a pint glass. Very good taste.

Microbrews are still fairly new to me, but this is already one of my favorites.

I picked up a jug to go and was pleased to find it in bottles at my local liquor store. 75 miles is a long way to go for a jug refill, but if I'm already headed that way...

Elrod23, Nov 01, 2005
3.78/5  rDev +8.6%

Deep copper color. Poured a thin head. Grapefruit aroma. Strong initial hop profile, piney. Good bitterness followed by a caramel maltiness and floral accents. Crisp finish. Could balance a bit better, but it is very drinkable. As far as Pale Ales go this is a solid beer.

This was one of the first micros that I began drinking regularly. Although I now prefer IPA's, I still find it to be an excellent session brew.

ChrisA, Aug 10, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance: Very clear rich Amber color with a small head when aggressively poured. This head fell pretty quickly to a wisp around the glass.

Aroma: Some caramel mixed with some mild nutty notes. There is a bit of restrained esters that remind me of some more complex fruit like apricots or some such.

Taste: I am not too sensitive to Diacetyl, but I believe that there may be some present in this beer. I get some caramel that seems to mix with the butterscotch. There are some bold floral hops in here that are subtle in the beginning, but then fade in slowly for a decidedly bitter finish.

Opinion: I am not a huge fan of the one-sided pale ales that we see so often, but this beer has some malt to balance out the hops a bit. The hops are still the key player, but this beer doesn't seem one-sided. If I were going to make a constructive comment, it would be that the middle of the profile is lacking. It seems like we only have additions at bittering, and at knock-out. The hops could be more rounded without being more pronounced. It is still a very drinkable beer.

SkeeterHawk, Jul 21, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

A light amber colored beer; clear. The head is slightly off white that leaves a sticky lace.

The aroma is more malt than hop. Interestingly, this beer was served ice cold. Flavor wise, it starts with a touch of malt than quickly bursts into a strong raw, green hop bite. This surprised me considering the smell. Medium body, high carbonation with a long dry hop aftertaste.

Decent flavoring but the aroma knocks this one down a few levels.

smcolw, Jun 07, 2004
3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

Amber colored pale ale with a hoppy and fruity aroma. Solid body and mouthfeel with a good balance between the malt and spicy hops. A bit of fruitiness comes out as the beer warms up. The finish is too short and too sweet. A drinkable ale that starts out strong and ends a bit weak.

marcobrau, Sep 28, 2003
3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

Cooler cold on a hot day? Serviceable.

Klebe, Sep 05, 2014