Hyland Octoberfest - Pioneer Brewing Co.

Hyland Octoberfest
No picture uploaded.

rAvg: 4
Pioneer Brewing Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Boto on 09-07-2003)
Reviews by corey0212:
corey0212

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

Got this in another growler trade with ppoitras!!

Pours an extremely handsome copper color, the color of fall, really. Smallish tan head fades into a thin ring around the glass, doesn't leave much in the way of lacing, but makes up for it with the glorious glowing color. Smell seems a little weak, a slight sweetness, but I'm not getting a lot off the nose of this one...but the taste really delivers. Rich malty goodness, bready and hearty, and some gentle bitterness on the finish. Medium-bodied and smooth-smooth-smooth! I could drink this all night, and in fact, that's what I have planned. One of the better Oktoberfests I've had!

10-15-2008 22:04:24 | More by corey0212
TrickKnee

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

Well this being my 100th review i am glad it is a good one. This is my first Hyland and let me tell you, it was most likely my favorite Oktoberfest of the year if not ever. Sweet smell and an unbelievable taste. Could taste some good malt but absolutly no yeast, was very very smooth. If you are around the area or know where the sell it, get it before it is gone, i hope they can repeat this for next year.

10-15-2006 23:54:41 | More by TrickKnee
Brewfan

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a freshly filled growler into my Hyland Farmhouse Ale pint glass.
Nice brazen copper color with a gorgeous 1 1/2 finger off-white head. Decent retention, fading into not-so-delicate lace.
Malty aroma and quite grainy. Smells kinda like a grain silo in the spring, only not as strong.
Malty on the tongue, and very smooth. Minimal play from the hops. Barley comes through nicely, and finishes a tad bit dry.
Nice Ofest. Quite smooth with a medium mouthfeel and decent carbonation.
Another quality brew from one of our oft' forgotten about local breweries. I unfortunately missed their Oktoberfest yesterday, but made damn sure I wouldn't be missing their Octoberfest today.

10-16-2006 19:58:17 | More by Brewfan
ppoitras

4.78/5  rDev +19.5%

Enjoyed on tap from the brewery taproom.

This one was again enjoyed in good old stein (#42). Had a sample shot glass for color eval. Brew was bit on the orangey side of dark amber. Head was a bit on the short side, but with ample nice lacing. Aroma exhibited ample grains input, and not much evidence of the 6.6%abv, which is nice for an O'fest. Taste also leaned towards the malt side, but also showed excellent cleanliness with regards to the yeast. Guess this year they had the extra tank space to let this one lager long and hard, and it shows. Mouthfeel was tremendous, so smooth, and drinkability was all that one could hope for.

I know, it's starting to look like I'm a big touter of Hyland/Pioneer, but I'm telling you, this year's O'fest is IT. Try it on-tap soon, with their Oktoberfets this weekend, and them not having many other beers on tap right now, it won't last long.

10-09-2006 23:22:15 | More by ppoitras
FirstMan

3.05/5  rDev -23.8%

We went down to the Brimfield Antique fair this weekend. "Antiquing" (sp?) isn't something I do very often - or really like to do very often - but it did give me an excuse to get myself over to the Hyland Brewery, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while.

I went straight for the samples as soon as we got there and tried pretty much everything they had on tap. Because my ability to judge each beer was pretty much shot after the first sample, I went ahead and filled up a growler with the Oktoberfest. Then I went and looked at the goats. Then I went home and reviewed this beer:

This pours a crystal clear amber from the growler, with a short-lived head of tiny bubbles that pretty much disappears completely after a minute or so.

Based on the smell, I was looking forward to a nice, smooth lager, with good helpings of hops and a fairly full malt back. What I got was a disappearing act.

The first 1 second of this beer is quite satisfying. Lager yeast is predominant with a sort of buttery, vegetable essence that's backed up with the floral hop aspect. A little malt balances it out...

Then it falls flat. Up and disappears. What the hell happened? It's like sitting in a movie theater, you've been watching the opening 10 minutes of a movie. The main characters are introduced, the first foundations of the plot begin to appear and then... the lights come on and some kid is asking you to move your feet so he can sweep up.

The funny thing is that it happens every time you take a sip - comes out of the gate strong and then keels over 10 feet down the track.

Despite the disappearing taste, the mouthfeel is quite nice and just about where it should be on a Maertzen. I like it a little less creamy and a little more dry with a bit more carbination, but that's just me.

Overall it's not bad. I could drink it. Put it in front of me and I won't tell you to take it back. I'm just still wondering what happened to the middle and the back of this beer?

09-12-2005 16:18:01 | More by FirstMan
Boto

4/5  rDev 0%

The beer pours a dark copper color. There is a bit of an off-white head to it, which had a bit of retention. The aroma is mainly that of a malt sweetness. No real hops to the nose. The flavor is a rich maltiness, with a subtle bitterness in the background. A good beer!

09-07-2003 21:35:45 | More by Boto
Bierman9

New Hampshire

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours a rich, clear, deep copper color. Topping is a thin, light tan layer of bubbles, not lasting too long though still lacing things up a bit. Nose has toasty malt and light sweetness to go with a mild floral quality. Mouthfeel was decent, overall, with a medium body and a fairly smooth feel on the tongue.

Flavor also has toasty malt, with a smidge of breadiness. Again, lightly sweet though mild. Floral hops are more prevalent than most Ofests, lending a seemingly fruity character to the finish. Decent, all-in-all, though much less malty/toasty than I have come to like in an OFest.

Prosit!!

overall: 3.65
appearance: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 3.5

10-17-2006 16:24:18 | More by Bierman9
Hyland Octoberfest from Pioneer Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.