Tetley's English Ale - Carlsberg-Tetley Brewing Ltd

Carlsberg-Tetley Brewing Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  3.60% ABV

Beer added by: canadianbarman on 12-20-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 483 | Reviews: 348
3.41/5  rDev -2.6%

I had this at a British-style pub in Moscow. It came in the appropriate pint glass with a Tetley's logo. It was a deep reddish amber under an off-white head that stood the test of time well and left some very nice lace patterns down the side. The nose was a bit on the sweet side, while the mouth was flat, smooth and sweet - as it should be, but not awesomely good. The taste was smooth and creamy, with sweet malts and a nice bitter finish. For someone starved of ales in this lager drenched land, it was a refreshing change.

3.71/5  rDev +6%

Had this one on-tap at the Plough and Stars in Cambridge, MA, nitro tap. Pours a very nice amber color with a very creamy head. Smells hoppy and light. Taste is extremely smooth and creamy somewhat watery with a sharp hop bite but tempered by some malts which make this quite drinkable. Head clings and coats the entire side of the glass all the way to the finish. Very nice. More hop presence as the beer warms.

4.47/5  rDev +27.7%

Lustrous bronze with an upward rain of beige creambubble.
Smelling these nitro brews is all about plotting which nut on the spectrum of roasted nuts it is most like. This is darn close to pecan, one of my favorites.
Nuts, cream, caramel and butterscotch are the flavors. No bubblegum or metal or banana...well, maybe butter-fried bananas with brown sugar and burning brandy...spanish coffee...not sweet though. Boiled hops must be helping to keep this dry, but they are distant. Quite roasty on the finish. Mmmm.

3.52/5  rDev +0.6%

First of all, I'm a total sucker for amber-colored beers and Tetley's is simply beautiful.

The taste is definitely faint, but the beer is very drinkable. Only question is, why should I buy it at $8/4 pack when it doesn't rock my socks off? Probably shouldn't, and probably won't.

3.49/5  rDev -0.3%

This is the second nitro-canned English ale I've had recently (along with Boddington's). I have to admit, although it's clearly a gimmick (and the beer is extraordinarily watery), I kind of like this stuff. It gives you the refreshing feel of drinking beer from a keg or tap (as is intended), but you get some taste and bitterness that you don't find in a lager. I would love to try the real thing, like Fuller's, on tap in England. These are not beers I will drink that often, but in Florida in August, I find it quite refreshing. I would much rather have this than one of the macros.

3.41/5  rDev -2.6%

The pouring of this beer is worth the price of admission alone. Starts with a tan foam hitting the side of the glass and exploding into a cascade of very thin bubbles. As the body takes over from the bottom up...it happens in waves, a joy to watch.
As the body appears, the crown quickly turns very white and two fingers in width.
The body has the colour of deep brewed tea and aroma is limited.
The taste has a short malty start and finishes to the hops but seems a little flat despite all the glass actions.

3.69/5  rDev +5.4%

I kind of liked this beer. Nice caramelly malt supports a nice little bite of hops that makes this quite quaffable. There's a bit of melon-like fruitiness that keeps things interesting. I'm not big on nitro dispensed beers, but you do have to admit that they make for gorgeous beers. The big soapy head on top of the copper body was quite the sight.

2.79/5  rDev -20.3%

Nice to see this on tap in Boston, it isn't available everwhere.

Nice thick head that lasted throughout the pint, decorated my glass all the way down.

Medium copper in color, with a clean slightly soapy smell.

I found the taste to be of sweat malt, slightly bready. Hops, well, they may have been there, but I couldn't really detect them.

Not a bad brew, but certainely nothing to get excited about. Actually a bit blah. A beer I would get once a year only. pat

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

--Tried this one from the can, with the 'floating widget'.
--Poured out with a great thick, white head that did not really disappear.
--The color was a golden amber color. The smell had a hint of fruits (banana?).

Overall this beer type is one of my favorites. I obviuosley would prefer to drink these straight from the tap in an English pub, but will settle for the nitro can. I liked this one but I felt there are better examples out there, like Double Diamond. But because I like Pale Ale/Bitters, I will for sure drink this one again, and again.
Thx

3.78/5  rDev +8%

Poured a honey amber with a thick creamy head that you could float a quarter on. Well, I didn't try to actually float a quarter on it, but I'm pretty sure you could if you tried. The smell was malty with a hint of hops at the end. The taste is caramel smooth at the beginning, but the hops comes up and kicks that out of the way like a hounddog off the front porch. Far from overpowering, just lightly assertive and demanding of your attention. The battle for the tip of your tongue is over very quickly. Quite drinkable, this beer disappear from my glass very quickly.

3.78/5  rDev +8%

Monstrously large creamy, cascading head tops a clear copper body. Quite lovely looking. Aroma is weak malt. Body is luxuriously creamy -- almost too much so. Flavor is dominated by a mildly toasty malt, a bit nutty in flavor, with a very restrained bitterness. Struck me as more of a cream ale than a bitter -- too creamy and not enough bite. But this lack of complexity doesn't really affect the drinkability. A pint of this was gone before I knew it!

3.9/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

For being so unremarkable, it was a really good rink. Very creamy, very light, yet oddly toasty. Smooth, not much of a finish. It is enjoyable, but I will admitt for no appearant reason. Enjoy, is it s a fun drink. The pub can is a good run, howevere I have never seen it on tap, so maybe if you get that it might be a wee bit different, enjoy

3.86/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It looks like a french vanilla milkshake when first poured. Then as the cascading settles, you're left with a darker shade of amber and the expected nitro head. There's not much of an aroma, nitro and some toastiness. It's very smooth and creamy on the palate, highly drinkable. Sweetness hits first with touched of nuttiness and toastiness. Then some hops kick in for a dry finish. Not a bad beer and not a great beer either. The hop kick in the end if what makes it a little interesting.

4.11/5  rDev +17.4%

an exceptional beer for my 20th review. whoo-hoo!
had this on nitro draught at the plough and stars in cambridge, mass.
absolutely the most beautful draft beer i've ever seen. the head is just so thick and creamy. and the color of the beer below is just a gorgeous rich brown. smell is nicely balanced. taste is the quintessential english bitter taste with subdued malts that aren't too sweet and nice moderate hoppiness. just such a refined, smooth taste. mouthfeel is nearly perfect as well. drinkability is high because of such a good balance of flavors.
i would recommend this to anyone, anytime. it's one of the best english bitter ales i've ever tasted.

4.18/5  rDev +19.4%

Amber with a nice creamy white head. Gotta love that nitro! This is leaps and bounds better than Boddington's in my opinion. Oh so very smoooooth. Toasty malt and a touch of fruity balanced by a touch of hops. Goes down very easy. I could drink this all night long.

2.91/5  rDev -16.9%

On draught at Mac's Cafe in Columbus. Darker amber color with a medium thin and creamy white head. Nice lacing. Aroma is lightly malty with a faint roasted quality. Flavor is very smooth, consisting mostly of malt, but there is a little caramel hanging in there as well. Finish is lightly bitter hops. Decent, but nothing great.

3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a nice creamy color then cascades to reveal a dark brown beer with a half inch head..very nice.
I liked the smell of this beer..quite malty
The taste is very hoppy..nice :)

I liked this beer a lot..will drink this more often will go down well with a nice dinner..not to heavy and not too light.

3.11/5  rDev -11.1%

Definetly not your typical english style brew. I was not very impressed by this beer 1st time I tried it. It did go down rather smooth and I didn't only have one, you never can. The taste was slightly bland. I thought it left a bad after taste in my mouth that I could've done without but it was prbably because of the can. It pours rather nicely into a pint and leaves a nice head, clears up to a smooth amber color. Very nice appearance. I won't turn this beer down if its offered to me but I won't go out of my way to buy it again.

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yet another "pretend" English real ale that gives British real ale a bad name !

Very thin, little taste and bland no character that you could call memorable.

Avoid at all costs unless the bar only serves pretend Lagers in an English bar !!!

4.03/5  rDev +15.1%

Medium amber color, huge white head, toasted malt aroma. Toasted malt flavor up front, then the hops takes over, finishing with a sharp bitter hops aftertaste with the malt hanging in the background.

4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

The off-white nitro head settles fairly quickly atop a very nice (and clear) amber body. It holds exceptionally well and leaves sheets of lace with rims that indicate the level of each sip. An excellent appearance! The aroma is bold with lots of ripe fruit and a richly nutty & caramel maltiness as well as a light touch of butter. The body is medium with an exceptionally fine carbonation that leaves it quite creamy and silky smooth in the mouth. The flavor is surprisingly full starting with light buttery toffee/ caramel / nutty maltiness, revealing some fruit towards the swallow, and finishing with a powdery dryness that lingers. Very well balanced. This is an excellent ale to enjoy at the pub as it is, but I'd really love to try this without the nitrogenation as I suspect it may be softening the overall impression of the beer, and particuarily the bitterness.

3.61/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I love the way it looks... copper with a majestic foam on top. The nitro definately makes this beer look great. Otherwise, it's a pretty average ale. Slight notes of butterscotch and floral esters, with a bit of a bitter hops finish. This is one very smooth beer, but maybe slightly thin. I don't mind putting a few of these back though. Very easy to drink when I'm not wanting something to challenge me.

3.51/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

my first impression was that it was surprisingly bitter for a beer that advertises "creamy and smooth". After I got over that I found a decent beer, however not quite on par with Boddington's or Kilkenny. The colour is auburn (tetley's tea, anyone?), with a creamy head. The taste, as I mentioned, begins bitter then smooths towards the finish. A good brew, but it would probably lose out to the aforementioned favourites when I pulled out my wallet.

4.55/5  rDev +30%

One of my local brit pubs here in Oregon has this on draught. It takes a while to pour, and comes out with a beautiful creamy head. While it initially looks a bit daunting, particularly with mood lighting, it is a very smooth ride. This was the perfect companion to enjoy with the World Cup, as it goes down effortlessly (nothing to detract from the action). The malty flavor is quite mild. Very drinkable.

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

I'll try to be as objective as possible. Homebrewing's given me an irrational disposition against nitro-can beers in general.

Tetley's has a Copper-Golden Color with a thick, dense tan head. Sweeter than I expected, and much less hoppy. I perceived butterscotch and nuts, but the flavors seemed right at home, and not flaws. It was better than I expected.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Tetley's English Ale from Carlsberg-Tetley Brewing Ltd