Tetley's English Ale - Carlsberg-Tetley Brewing Ltd

good

Carlsberg-Tetley Brewing Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  3.60% ABV

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 12-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tetley's English Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next › last »
3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a nice creamy color then cascades to reveal a dark brown beer with a half inch head..very nice.
I liked the smell of this beer..quite malty
The taste is very hoppy..nice :)

I liked this beer a lot..will drink this more often will go down well with a nice dinner..not to heavy and not too light.

Reidrover, Feb 07, 2003
3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

Definetly not your typical english style brew. I was not very impressed by this beer 1st time I tried it. It did go down rather smooth and I didn't only have one, you never can. The taste was slightly bland. I thought it left a bad after taste in my mouth that I could've done without but it was prbably because of the can. It pours rather nicely into a pint and leaves a nice head, clears up to a smooth amber color. Very nice appearance. I won't turn this beer down if its offered to me but I won't go out of my way to buy it again.

Running4beer, Feb 03, 2003
2.5/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yet another "pretend" English real ale that gives British real ale a bad name !

Very thin, little taste and bland no character that you could call memorable.

Avoid at all costs unless the bar only serves pretend Lagers in an English bar !!!

JohnW, Jan 13, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +15.1%

Medium amber color, huge white head, toasted malt aroma. Toasted malt flavor up front, then the hops takes over, finishing with a sharp bitter hops aftertaste with the malt hanging in the background.

ThreePistols, Nov 26, 2002
4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

The off-white nitro head settles fairly quickly atop a very nice (and clear) amber body. It holds exceptionally well and leaves sheets of lace with rims that indicate the level of each sip. An excellent appearance! The aroma is bold with lots of ripe fruit and a richly nutty & caramel maltiness as well as a light touch of butter. The body is medium with an exceptionally fine carbonation that leaves it quite creamy and silky smooth in the mouth. The flavor is surprisingly full starting with light buttery toffee/ caramel / nutty maltiness, revealing some fruit towards the swallow, and finishing with a powdery dryness that lingers. Very well balanced. This is an excellent ale to enjoy at the pub as it is, but I'd really love to try this without the nitrogenation as I suspect it may be softening the overall impression of the beer, and particuarily the bitterness.

NeroFiddled, Nov 18, 2002
3.6/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I love the way it looks... copper with a majestic foam on top. The nitro definately makes this beer look great. Otherwise, it's a pretty average ale. Slight notes of butterscotch and floral esters, with a bit of a bitter hops finish. This is one very smooth beer, but maybe slightly thin. I don't mind putting a few of these back though. Very easy to drink when I'm not wanting something to challenge me.

zerk, Aug 22, 2002
3.5/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

my first impression was that it was surprisingly bitter for a beer that advertises "creamy and smooth". After I got over that I found a decent beer, however not quite on par with Boddington's or Kilkenny. The colour is auburn (tetley's tea, anyone?), with a creamy head. The taste, as I mentioned, begins bitter then smooths towards the finish. A good brew, but it would probably lose out to the aforementioned favourites when I pulled out my wallet.

the42ndtourist, Aug 13, 2002
4.55/5  rDev +30%

One of my local brit pubs here in Oregon has this on draught. It takes a while to pour, and comes out with a beautiful creamy head. While it initially looks a bit daunting, particularly with mood lighting, it is a very smooth ride. This was the perfect companion to enjoy with the World Cup, as it goes down effortlessly (nothing to detract from the action). The malty flavor is quite mild. Very drinkable.

Lightweight, Jul 19, 2002
3.35/5  rDev -4.3%

I'll try to be as objective as possible. Homebrewing's given me an irrational disposition against nitro-can beers in general.

Tetley's has a Copper-Golden Color with a thick, dense tan head. Sweeter than I expected, and much less hoppy. I perceived butterscotch and nuts, but the flavors seemed right at home, and not flaws. It was better than I expected.

Suds, Jun 19, 2002
4.03/5  rDev +15.1%

You really can't go wrong with this one- that is if you like creamy English ales. The nitro can produced a nice creamy head, cascading down the glass. Somewhat sweet, yet with a bit of bitterness that keeps the ale honest. The flavor was tempered, but this is the style. Some nut flavor also present , but after a few sips, you just focus on the smoothness. One could drink many of these.

AaronRed, Jun 18, 2002
4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

Tetley’s English Pub Ale: From the tap. Beautiful bronze color, a rich dense head, very cloudy. The aroma reminded me of a Belgian dubbel, with bananas, and yeast. The taste was initially very similar to a Belgian like Duvel, but as it warmed up it became much more like a rich sweet cider. Had a sweet aftertaste, very nice.

jackndan, Jun 17, 2002
3.9/5  rDev +11.4%

Thick and rich. Clear amber in color with thick meranguie like head. Trace of toasted malt in aroma. Tastes smooth and rich almost like a milkshake. Slighlty sweet with fruit like quality. Finishes clean with a toasted nut like aftertaste.

psugrad98, Jun 17, 2002
4.03/5  rDev +15.1%

Big time head on this one, looks like a pancake floating on top of the brew. Touch of buttery diacetyl with a subdued fruitiness and some floral hop in the aroma.

Very smooth and holds the nitro together for a very well texture feeling for a canned nitro beer. Sturdy moderate body, hops and malt battle it out between a steely crystal malt flavour and a big floral, slightly bitter and leafy finishing hop profile. Faint buttery diacetyl adds a slickness, nice long and slowly drying finish.

Bit more malt flavour than I expected, hops are quite impressive also. This ale is really starting to grow on me, odd because I am not too fond of the canned nitro type.

Jason, Mar 14, 2002
3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

Like Guinness in the can, when poured has the cascade effect as it "builds". Thick, and I mean thick, creamy head at close to an inch thick. Smells sweet rich and ripe, similar to fruit left in a brown bag to ripen.

Has a pronounced creaminess in taste and mouthfeel. Very low hops. Definitely on the sweeter side of the spectrum. Incredibly smooth and easy to drink. Satisfying. Its like a beer-milkshake

I really enjoy these widget beers, a real nice change of pace in terms of the drinkability of regular bottled beers, although I wouldn't always want beer in this cream-style, quite nice when I am in the mood. Gotta bang down at least 2 of these at a sitting.

bmills1608, Feb 14, 2002

Classic ordinary bitter, smooth and easy to drink. Not bad, but you're likely to want something more substantial after a couple of these.

John, Jan 23, 2002
2.8/5  rDev -20%

Didn't care for it. I think that the hop and malt pairing was just a little weird. I know this is suppose to be English style draft (read low carbonation) but these wigets leave a great head and too little carbonation in the beer. Tried it, didn't like it, now I can move on.

mattmaples, Sep 12, 2001
3.93/5  rDev +12.3%

Presentation: 14.9 fl. oz. draught "Smoothflow" can. No freshness date, lot # on the bottom of the can. The famous "huntsman" logo adorns the can, first appearing on their product in the 1920's.

Appearance: When poured, an amazing cascading effect occurs due to the nitro widget inside. Settles out to a clear amber colour with a creamy, sticky, 1/2 inch white head. It's so thick and fine that it looks like whipped eggs whites.

Smell: Very unique aroma. Distinct Yorkshire yeast, very mild banana sweetness and raw hop aromas. Fruity nose, overall.

Taste: Smooth, silky and creamy upfront. Light bodied. Thin malt sweetness, wrapped in toasted malt, grain notes and hop leaf flavours. Smooth, watery, complex fruity sweetness in the back (some banana notes?). A nudge of hop bitterness follows with a balanced twang. Finishes rather clean with light residual toasted malt flavours, and some grain dryness.

Notes: A nice brew. Real drinkable, complex, enjoyable and it goes down very quickly. You can't have just one. That's why I am about to have 3.

This is Tetley's export only product. They also produce an export only nitro keg version.

Todd, Dec 20, 2000