African Amber - Mac and Jack's Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Mac and Jack's Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-04-2002)

Being from Seattle, I was told that I absolutely HAD to try Mac & Jack's African Amber if I even remotely like beer. So I decided to get it on tap at a local sport's bar and was blown away.

Since then, I've had plenty of different ambers but none seem to compare to Mac & Jack's African Amber. I just wish they bottled it!

The appearance is a typical amber, more "orange-ish" than most.

The smell is very rich... a nutty, bready smell.

The taste is where this beer shines... a clean, mild, bready immediate taste, with a hazelnut-caramel finish/aftertaste. The aftertaste of this beer is what makes it for me.

The mouthfeel... very carbonated! More carbonated than most ambers. Has a light feel, despite its rich flavor.

The drinkability is very clean. Not too heavy, not too light, not too rich, not too dull. It's a very middle-of-the-road beer with an exceptional taste!

TRY IT.

Poured from a growler filled fresh from the tap into a tumbler on 06.14.14.

A: 3 finger fluffy head. Nearly opaque brown body. It's unfiltered, so it's cloudy.

S: Sweet, bready malt. Flower too.

T: Bready sweetness dominates. It's like drinking a cinnamon roll. Flower, sweet yeast, and spices are subtle.

M: Creamy smooth. Chewy, but still easy to drink.

O: The bready sweetness hits first, then the flower takes over. It all blends very nicely. This is nothing like other amber ales that are out there.

Rating: A+, 100/100.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

I love alot of beers but After having this beer i wont drink anything else. I really love mac and jacks alaskan amber. I drive from south renton to redmond just to get a growler. I wish they had it for sale in bottles so i could buy more often! Over all best beer ive had!

4.97/5  rDev +27.4%

This beer rates just above above Mount Ranier as far as natural wonders of Washington State. It is almost physically painfull to stop drinking this at one pint. It gets worse at two. To me it has one of the most pleasant, distinctive, and honest aromas of any beer. The flavor has the strong presence of bitterness with the balance of sweetness and richness that can make you stop in the middle of a bar story to just suck on the last mouthfull.

I wouldn't wouldn't even want to live in a state with good sports teams if it meant giving up this beer being easily found when I go out.

4.85/5  rDev +24.4%

Reviewed on 9/28/08. Growler courtesy of scrizz. Pours a dark orange/brown with a thick off-white head that leaves nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of caramel, sweet malt, brown sugar, molasses, sweet fruit, and maybe a hint of citrus. Flavor is quite sweet and malty with sweet tropical fruits and bitter floral hops in the finish. Uber drinkable and quite a tasty amber ale. Awesome maltiness with just a hint of hops and fruits. Yum! I keep upping my rating of this because I was just amazed by this beer and it's probably one of my favorites ever.
9/4/10/5/19 (4.7/5)

4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

This beer is worth the trip to the pacific northwest...because it's not found anywhere else! A rich, easy-drinking amber beer that never disappointing. A rich brown color and a perfect balance of flavors, this is easily one of my favorite domestic beers!

4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

I had this beer a few months ago when I was out near Fort Lewis Washington. I can't remember the taste enough to give it a great review but out of all the beers I've ever had I recommend this one the most from a keg. It was amazing. It tastes like nothing else and I'm so sad I can't get this in Pennsylvania. All i can say is try a frosty glass and you'll know what I'm talking about.

4.76/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

On tap poured into a 22oz mug. Has a nice thick fluffy tan head about 2 cm tall with good lacing. Has a sweet citrus nose. Incredible taste. A combination of citrus, rich maltly flavors, and a spice note. Mouth feels is thick and smooth with a medium dry finish. Overall very enjoyable as I have came to expect from mac and jacks offerings.

African Amber from Mac and Jack's Brewery