African Amber - Mac and Jack's Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Mac and Jack's Brewery visit their website
Washington, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-04-2002)
1.35/5  rDev -65.4%

What is wrong with this beer. I am not one to bad-mouth a beer just for the sake of it but...

This beer is bad. It smells like the fermentation went poorly. Old yeast, spoiled hops and cheap malt. I don't know where else to go. I can't believe this beer is in as many places as it is. I saved this review until I tried it in a few different places. I did this just to rule out dirty lines, bad glass ware, and poor environment. No luck. Just a bad beer. How do they make/sell so much of this?

Like Bill Cosby said, "It tastes like bad breaf."

imrichbeeeatch, Mar 23, 2007

kylemckinnis, Feb 27, 2012

projhex, Nov 15, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

piclee, Mar 17, 2012
2.45/5  rDev -37.2%

I drank this one on tap at Our Place in Silverdale, WA.

Consumed in a pint glass.

Appearance: chestnut amber but nothing to write home about

Smell: wet dog, horse hair, grass and citrus

Taset/Mouthfeel: hoppy but what do you expect from hop country, light citrus, malty but not in a good way

I have drank Mac & Jacks African Amber quite a few times but this time just ruined it for me. I must have been blind to the way it really is. Could be a bad batch/tap though.

ClavisAurea, Aug 01, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

VinoGuy, Apr 03, 2013
2.68/5  rDev -31.3%

Drank this on tap at the Taphouse in Bellevue, WA. I always hear this is a good beer and remembered differently so here goes. Pours a light murky amber. Minimal lacing. Smell, not much there, slightly sweet hints of grass and dirt, metal. Taste, up front its very much like a dirty sock, but finishes slightly malty, caramel malts, slightly sweet and a little citrus most likely from the overbearing hops. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp, finishes clean but not interesting. Im sure its drinkable, but the dirty sock taste throws me off. I'll pass on this bland less than interesting offering. Severely overrated but just as I remembered. Great offering for an unrefined palate.

lifeboyq, Mar 15, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -31.3%

Sampled on tap at...well, I don't know the name of the place, but I've visited it three times now in Seattle & know exactly where it is. If you like to walk like I do & stay downtown, this is a place that always has a dozen local taps. That place. You know it. Across from the Underground Tours, sort of.

Anyways. Have heard good things about it & had no doubt about what to order after walking in the door. Pours a muddy, turbulent, impenetrable kind of reddish brown clay. Smell is about the same. Muddled, red.

Mac & Jack's African Amber isn't what I'd heard, or hoped. The whole thing is a big mess, like the Mississippi flooding a clay mine. Malts collide with sediment & minimal hopping to create a beer that's, what? Not really sure.

Frankly, I couldn't figure out what was going on with either this beer or the friend/s that recommended it to me. Perhaps it had been sitting in the keg for eleven months, perhaps it's just not my thing, but this is a weird & unappealing mess to me. Mediocre at best.

maximum12, Oct 21, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

So I'm in Seattle at your standard tourist theme seafood place for lunch. Their "house" beer is this local brew. OK, I figure, they're probably going to play it safe with a middle-of-the-road amber, nothing else they have is too interesting, eh, why not?

What I ended up with is one of the odder beers I've had in a while. First, the appearance -- there is unfiltered, and then there's this. It looked like a glass of Metamucil, orange-brown and completely opaque.

So I have what appears to be a pint of river silt with a head on it. Alrightly, then. First sip is sort of... chewy? It was kind of like a beer smoothie, I guess, very thick and dense.

I considered sending it back at this point, truth be told, but I figured it may just be an odd style I haven't quite wrapped my head around, so I soldiered on. The taste was, again, interesting. It was sort of like a mild old ale, very fruity and sweet. The flavor sort of vanished and then came back in the finish as a sort of yeasty brown bread.

Uh-huh. The smell was also a bit fruity and yeasty, and given all the weirdness going on, I couldn't imagine drinking another.

I know a bit more about beer than your average guy, and I found this absolutely baffling. But since this was the featured beer in a chain restaurant, I'm assuming something must have been a bit off here, or they'd probably get back 95 percent of the ones they poured. Maybe this was one of the last ones left in the keg, which dredged the sediment, or maybe this keg just got away from them somehow.

Anyway, I'll have to give this one another shot, because I cannot believe a beer this weird could be so popular.

WetCoaster, Oct 02, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -26.9%

Dirty amber in color with a clean, headless pour. Woven inbetween the hops is a citrus flavor (orange maybe?). Makes me think of a hefeweizen taste; not an amber. There was little lace on the side of the glass. The beer's aroma made me think of being outdoors. My friend said it was tasting funny, so maybe the it was a bad keg.

MuddyFeet, Mar 15, 2004

mdavidson, Jul 06, 2013

rab53, Dec 26, 2013

tastymug, Sep 29, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

a seattle institution - when i came to seattle, i was told to order both this and manny's pale ale - neither of which impressed. i get the feeling that they are the "good beer" that's on tap at anywhere in the seattle area, much like there's a one-off bell's offering anywhere in ann arbor, or back in downstate illinois there will be a sam adams lager.

unlike Manny's Pale Ale, but had a funky taste i couldn't kick. would not order again.

Franch, Jun 16, 2011
3.06/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap at the Oxford Suites motel at Jantzen Beach. Color is dark amber and appearance is cloudy in the pint glass. A modest head to start with. Plenty spritzy in the mouth with a distinct club soda taste.

Quite malty mouthfeel. Some browned flavors and a little sharp. The hops are herbaceous and on the dank side. Collard greens and the old oaken bucket. Murky and something tasting like "rust" overall. More bitter as you sip. I find it really quite unpleasant, but maybe people like this particular taste.

mactrail, Sep 02, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at the Red Robin in Yakima, WA.

A: It poured an murkey dark tea or coke color with a modest tan head. The head disipated quickly but left a ring around the collar and supported a thin varied curtain of lacing.

S: It had a slight thin sweet malt aroma and barely there floral hops.

T: There are completing flavors of lightly roasted sweet malts and floral spicy hops. The malts have a hint of caramel flavor and the hops give of a bit of back end bitterness.

M: It had a very modest amount of carbonation and a light to modest body. It finished very clean.

D: It was a decent bar brew that went well with overly salty fries and the typically over-the-top burger. It went down easy and I could see knocking of two or three before the clash of flavors drove me to another brew.

dnichols, Jan 15, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

I've had this beer countless times, but not in recent recollection.

Turbid oragey amber with a etched surface of light foam. Smells of, well the cleaner of the restaurant here (can't dock 'em). Flavor is malty with some hints of oxidation and a good bit of bitterness and some sweet honey in here as well; not a bad flavor. Medium on full bodied here with plenty hi carb (too high) and a wet finish. The aftertaste is a bit sweet and has that slightly milky character. It's an alright beer.

harrymel, Nov 01, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a hazy, cloudy brown-amber with a thin cap of off-white head that had medium retention and lacing.

The aroma was the basic malty-bready-sweet scent typical of the style. The flavors were basically blad and unoffensive (or unchallenging, if you prefer), but not terrible. The beer had a decent well-rounded flavor that didn't stand out in any aspect.

The body was typical for the style, perhaps a wee bit fuller than a lot.The drinkabilty was typical for an American Amber ale, smooth and easy, is how this brew goes down the hatch. Overall, this is not an exciting beer but it is not a bad beer by any means. I would certainly choose this over Alaskan or Fat Tire if those were the choices.

beertunes, Feb 21, 2010