Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Mjolnir Imperial IPA - Fearless Brewing Company

Mjolnir Imperial IPAMjolnir Imperial IPA

Fearless Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: cswhitehorse on 06-23-2009

Reviews by tone77:
3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

The legendary woodychandler comes through with this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has an orange/golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very hoppy, some pine. Taste is hoppy, biter, some fruits, a bit of pine, a little subdued compared to the smell. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

3.54/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.04/5  rDev +13.5%

16oz can, 6.9% ABV, and another Norse mythology-themed name - the Hammer!

This beer pours a hazy, pale golden yellow colour, with a teeming amount of puffy, bubbly, and loosely foamy off-white head, which leaves some splendid patchy webbed lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of rather sweet bready, cake-worthy caramel malt, hard toffee, orange cream, Texas red grapefruit, pine resin, further leafy forest floor detritus notes, and a softly metallic booziness. The taste is more pine-heavy hops, but all flavour, and little of the usual bitterness, muddled, and equally debittered citrus flesh, a still heady sugary caramel/toffee malt, and further herbal, floral, and somewhat perfumed hops.

The carbonation is pretty mild and unobtrusive in its meanderings, the body a decent medium weight, and way smoother than anything with "IPA" in its name should be, with an inherent creaminess. It finishes on the sweet side, the fruity hops and straight-up caramel malt experiencing little counter-acting bitterness.

A pleasant, beguiling, and strangely easy-going DIPA, the bitterness of the expected big west coast hops not absent, of course, but seemingly content to cede the spotlight to its fruity cohorts. Tasty, very flavourful, and worthy of the association with the titular weapon - strong, yet finessed.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy amber with two fingers of cream white head. Good amount of lacing.
Some pine resin in the smell a touch of grain as well.
Taste is bitter pine resin some grapefruit and a very pedestrian malt presence. Bitterness takes the lead with just a hint of malts.
Mouthfeel is alright but a bit more carbonation would be better. Semi dry finish.
Overall more like an IPA with a bit more malt than typical.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

nother 16 oz can from "Lifesource" Salem $2.49 Burnt orange. slightly hazy body small thick off white head. Aroma is OK but not as strong as expected sweet,floral and resiny hop clash. Some nuts in their too . maybe WOAH strange strange taste for an IIPA..sweet,bready,resiny hop bitterness in the end but its not of epic proportions..not an IIPA. OK the mouthfeel is fine enough..OK THis is strange stuff..its not horrible but it is not an IIPA hell for me its not even an IPA more a stronger APA.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

4.21/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I feel so ashamed! I received a box of CANned beers from msubulldog25 a while back, put them in the reefer to chill and then got bogged down with the school year and a backlog of bottles to the point that people were beginning to wonder what had happened to The CANQuest (TM). Not to worry! I am getting back on track.

From the CAN: "brewed just for you by Ken Johnson. Grand, High Exalted Brewer and Owner of Fearless Brewing Company, 326 South Broadway, Estacada, Oregon. Center of the Brewing Universe. Skoal!

Ha ha! The CAN itself may be a keeper. The Crack revealed yet another brimful craft CAN and for that, I salute you, Ken Johnson! An inverted Glug later and I was off and running. I was faced with two dense, bubbling fingers of tawny head and I had time to kill as it popped and burbled but still sat there obstinately. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy deep-amber. If my last beer smelled like a pine forest, this hit me like somebody grabbed me by the hair, bent my head back and sprayed aerosol Pine-Sol into my sinus cavity! Jeez-O, man, I'll keep my hands off the dancers from now on, I swear! Oh, wrong set of circumstances. Mouthfeel was medium but the taste was intense - big hops, but offset by heavy caramel malt. I felt like I was drinking hop caramels. I know that they make hop CANdy, but I wonder if hop caramels would be possible ... The finish hit me like a backdraft in a fire - out of nowhere, WHOOSH! My throat seized up from the alcohol heat and I coughed, giving the hops another opportunity to release themselves. My eyes began to burn and water uncontrollably and I reached for another sip. David Bowie once sung of "Putting Out Fires With Gasoline" and now I knew of what he was referring! I fell to the floor, gagging, making guttural sounds and crawling to the alarm system to hit the Panic Button. Upon being revived, the EMT offered me something to drink ... You know, a pint of this all at once may be a bit much.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Slightly hazy golden colur with a thick mousse like head. Sweet malt, citrus and piney hop and honey round out the nose. Much the same with the taste. A thick honey malt sweetness and a earthy bitterness that coats the sides and back of your tongue. The mouthfeel is on the high medium side with only a slight carbonation. Not a bad Double IPA, but it does seem like the brewer is trying to hide the alcohol burn with an extra sweetness.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.89/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.95/5  rDev +11%

Disclaimer: I'm not a huge fan of IPAs. If I had to pick my favorite, it would be Ninkasi's Total Domination or Widmer's Spiced IPA (you can hate me later).

Anyways, as an IPA goes, this is pretty good. A little on the hoppier side for my tastes, but the other tastes in this brew balance it out to the point where I would order this on a menu if I saw it.

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A lighter amber, more of an orange golden color in the big chalice. Rather light bodied. Quite a nice hoppy aroma. Flowers and spice.

Some bitterness right off, with a slightly dank and resinous hop flavor. Some sweet malt with biscuits. Fairly rich and the alcohol doesn't come through strongly in the taste, at least.

A little earthy and sharp at the same time. Pretty much the classic DIPA flavor profile, though more restrained in the hop attack. Quite drinkable. The bitterness seems to moderate, and the fruity and malty flavors have a chance to give this more complexity.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Poured from 16oz can into a pint glass. The can says this is 6.9% ABV, rather than the above-noted 8%.

Appearance: rich orange hue with a moderate haze and a good effervescence. Head is two fingers of frothy ivory foam with a bit of an orange cast. Nice!

Smell: mild malty aroma hits me first, followed by some spicy, earthy hops. I like the composition, but the intensity is rather weak.

Taste: very malty character hits me right up front, kind of like a Scottish wee heavy. This is followed by a mellow but tasty combination of citrusy and floral hops. Bitterness comes on slow but is exceedingly smooth. This is not like any other beer I've had which calls itself an Imperial IPA. That said, I rather like it.

Mouthfeel: medium-thick body with a good level of carbonation and a creamy, silky mouthfeel. Great!

Overall: I actually quite like this beer, despite its not fitting into the style terribly well (although I don't know how else it might be classified). I'd definitely have it again.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%