Mjolnir Imperial IPA - Fearless Brewing Company

good

Fearless Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: cswhitehorse on 06-23-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

2.9/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured into a snifter from a 16 oz can.

Color was a light copper color with a two finger white head.

Aroma was caramel and orange creamsicle.

Taste is caramel and orange creamsicle with some pine hops.

Feel is on the flat side, almost like it is on nitro, could use some more carbonation to balance the sweetness.

Overall, it is too sweet for my palate and lacking any real hop characteristic I would expect from a DIPA.

3.26/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pint can poured into a pint glass. 134 is printed on the bottom, whatever that means.

Pours hazy golden with a nice white head, slow dissipation, medium carbonation. Smell is hay and old hop aroma (wish I could interpret 134), very slight floral note.

Taste is lots more hay and old hops, a little pine, very slight honey.

Mouthfeel is medium. Overall, it's OK.

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

4.04/5  rDev +16.4%

16oz can, 6.9% ABV, and another Norse mythology-themed name - the Hammer!

This beer pours a hazy, pale golden yellow colour, with a teeming amount of puffy, bubbly, and loosely foamy off-white head, which leaves some splendid patchy webbed lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of rather sweet bready, cake-worthy caramel malt, hard toffee, orange cream, Texas red grapefruit, pine resin, further leafy forest floor detritus notes, and a softly metallic booziness. The taste is more pine-heavy hops, but all flavour, and little of the usual bitterness, muddled, and equally debittered citrus flesh, a still heady sugary caramel/toffee malt, and further herbal, floral, and somewhat perfumed hops.

The carbonation is pretty mild and unobtrusive in its meanderings, the body a decent medium weight, and way smoother than anything with "IPA" in its name should be, with an inherent creaminess. It finishes on the sweet side, the fruity hops and straight-up caramel malt experiencing little bitterness counter-action.

A pleasant, beguiling, and strangely easy-going DIPA, the bitterness of the expected big west coast hops not absent, of course, but seemingly content to cede the spotlight to its fruity cohorts. Tasty, very flavourful, and worthy of the association with the titular weapon - strong, yet finessed.

2.5/5  rDev -28%

3.41/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy amber with two fingers of cream white head. Good amount of lacing.
Some pine resin in the smell a touch of grain as well.
Taste is bitter pine resin some grapefruit and a very pedestrian malt presence. Bitterness takes the lead with just a hint of malts.
Mouthfeel is alright but a bit more carbonation would be better. Semi dry finish.
Overall more like an IPA with a bit more malt than typical.

4.23/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I feel so ashamed! I received a box of CANned beers from msubulldog25 a while back, put them in the reefer to chill and then got bogged down with the school year and a backlog of bottles to the point that people were beginning to wonder what had happened to The CANQuest (TM). Not to worry! I am getting back on track.

From the CAN: "brewed just for you by Ken Johnson. Grand, High Exalted Brewer and Owner of Fearless Brewing Company, 326 South Broadway, Estacada, Oregon. Center of the Brewing Universe. Skoal!

Ha ha! The CAN itself may be a keeper. The Crack revealed yet another brimful craft CAN and for that, I salute you, Ken Johnson! An inverted Glug later and I was off and running. I was faced with two dense, bubbling fingers of tawny head and I had time to kill as it popped and burbled but still sat there obstinately. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy deep-amber. If my last beer smelled like a pine forest, this hit me like somebody grabbed me by the hair, bent my head back and sprayed aerosol Pine-Sol into my sinus cavity! Jeez-O, man, I'll keep my hands off the dancers from now on, I swear! Oh, wrong set of circumstances. Mouthfeel was medium but the taste was intense - big hops, but offset by heavy caramel malt. I felt like I was drinking hop caramels. I know that they make hop CANdy, but I wonder if hop caramels would be possible ... The finish hit me like a backdraft in a fire - out of nowhere, WHOOSH! My throat seized up from the alcohol heat and I coughed, giving the hops another opportunity to release themselves. My eyes began to burn and water uncontrollably and I reached for another sip. David Bowie once sung of "Putting Out Fires With Gasoline" and now I knew of what he was referring! I fell to the floor, gagging, making guttural sounds and crawling to the alarm system to hit the Panic Button. Upon being revived, the EMT offered me something to drink ... You know, a pint of this all at once may be a bit much.

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%