Mjolnir Imperial IPA - Fearless Brewing Company

good

Fearless Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: cswhitehorse on 06-23-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

snohojimbo

07-03-2013 03:34:00 | More by snohojimbo
woodychandler

4.23/5  rDev +21.9%

I feel so ashamed! I received a box of CANned beers from msubulldog25 a while back, put them in the reefer to chill and then got bogged down with the school year and a backlog of bottles to the point that people were beginning to wonder what had happened to The CANQuest (TM). Not to worry! I am getting back on track.

From the CAN: "brewed just for you by Ken Johnson. Grand, High Exalted Brewer and Owner of Fearless Brewing Company, 326 South Broadway, Estacada, Oregon. Center of the Brewing Universe. Skoal!

Ha ha! The CAN itself may be a keeper. The Crack revealed yet another brimful craft CAN and for that, I salute you, Ken Johnson! An inverted Glug later and I was off and running. I was faced with two dense, bubbling fingers of tawny head and I had time to kill as it popped and burbled but still sat there obstinately. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy deep-amber. If my last beer smelled like a pine forest, this hit me like somebody grabbed me by the hair, bent my head back and sprayed aerosol Pine-Sol into my sinus cavity! Jeez-O, man, I'll keep my hands off the dancers from now on, I swear! Oh, wrong set of circumstances. Mouthfeel was medium but the taste was intense - big hops, but offset by heavy caramel malt. I felt like I was drinking hop caramels. I know that they make hop CANdy, but I wonder if hop caramels would be possible ... The finish hit me like a backdraft in a fire - out of nowhere, WHOOSH! My throat seized up from the alcohol heat and I coughed, giving the hops another opportunity to release themselves. My eyes began to burn and water uncontrollably and I reached for another sip. David Bowie once sung of "Putting Out Fires With Gasoline" and now I knew of what he was referring! I fell to the floor, gagging, making guttural sounds and crawling to the alarm system to hit the Panic Button. Upon being revived, the EMT offered me something to drink ... You know, a pint of this all at once may be a bit much.

06-22-2013 23:05:11 | More by woodychandler

gueuzegossage

03-09-2013 23:39:22 | More by gueuzegossage
tone77

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

The legendary woodychandler comes through with this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has an orange/golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very hoppy, some pine. Taste is hoppy, biter, some fruits, a bit of pine, a little subdued compared to the smell. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

02-14-2013 00:44:08 | More by tone77
KiMiRaiK

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

02-04-2013 18:21:06 | More by KiMiRaiK
Murrhey

Montana

3.28/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a pint can into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Three fingers of moderate retention white head. Soapy lacing. Light amber body. Average.

S- Heavy citrus, grapefruit. Also pine-scented. Light and crisp.

T- Piney, sweet and fruity. Not overpowering, but the hop oil lingers on the palate.

M- Medium bodied and surprisingly creamy for a DIPA. Not bad.

O- Slightly above average. The hop oil makes it not very accessible, but it is not overpowering.

12-09-2012 00:23:46 | More by Murrhey
Mebuzzard

Colorado

3.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Cool design on the can, gotta be a tough one, yeah?
Looks great in the glass. Deep gold, some copper colors. Big foaming white head, rocky in the middle. Great lacing.

Aroma is hops. Pine, herbals, some citrus. A bit of booze. Malt in the background with caramel and sweet bread

Taste is fine, nothing outstanding. Caramel and booze don't blend well as it gives the illusion (I guess) of metallic. This boozy caramel is sharpened more by the strong hops, which are piney and earthy. Citrus fades in the taste. Caramel reappears in the end briefly before the hops finish it off.

Carbonation is lacking. Seems flat and the only zip is from the hops. Would like some bubbles to lift the syrupy-ness off

11-17-2012 08:06:50 | More by Mebuzzard
TheBeerCarl

Idaho

4.03/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: Clear orange amber with thick light yellow white head and great retention.

Smell: Sweet citrusy and nice floral hop notes with some slight pinyness backed up with sweet caramel notes.

Taste: Hops are really president but not too much bitterness. Extreme citrus flavors with some piny hopiness. Light caramel sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Very light bodied and thin but that adds to the pronounced hoppy flavor. Still though, imperials should be full bodied.

Overall this was a good beer worth it's price and I would recommend it to any imperial ipa lover.

11-13-2012 04:04:59 | More by TheBeerCarl
sharpski

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

10-23-2012 18:12:56 | More by sharpski
searsclone

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev -0.6%

can into an imperial pint glass

copper color, kind of hazy. fair tan head with great lacing

smell is strong as soon as the can is cracked. pine, grass, hops, malt and maybe a little chocolate

because of the smell, I expected a lot more flavor from this one. it's not bad, just not as loud as the smell. i thought that it would be extremely bitter, but it was quite smooth. that's not a bad thing, just not what I expected from an 'imperial'

mouthfeel is smooth and easy to drink.

overall, easy to drink with a really good smell, but not as much flavor as I expected.

09-22-2012 02:44:32 | More by searsclone
Reidrover

3.13/5  rDev -9.8%

nother 16 oz can from "Lifesource" Salem $2.49 Burnt orange. slightly hazy body small thick off white head. Aroma is OK but not as strong as expected sweet,floral and resiny hop clash. Some nuts in their too . maybe WOAH strange strange taste for an IIPA..sweet,bready,resiny hop bitterness in the end but its not of epic proportions..not an IIPA. OK the mouthfeel is fine enough..OK THis is strange stuff..its not horrible but it is not an IIPA hell for me its not even an IPA more a stronger APA.

09-03-2012 21:56:46 | More by Reidrover
mactrail

3.45/5  rDev -0.6%

A lighter amber, more of an orange golden color in the big chalice. Rather light bodied. Quite a nice hoppy aroma. Flowers and spice.

Some bitterness right off, with a slightly dank and resinous hop flavor. Some sweet malt with biscuits. Fairly rich and the alcohol doesn't come through strongly in the taste, at least.

A little earthy and sharp at the same time. Pretty much the classic DIPA flavor profile, though more restrained in the hop attack. Quite drinkable. The bitterness seems to moderate, and the fruity and malty flavors have a chance to give this more complexity.

08-13-2012 05:18:14 | More by mactrail
fightline

3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Disclaimer: I'm not a huge fan of IPAs. If I had to pick my favorite, it would be Ninkasi's Total Domination or Widmer's Spiced IPA (you can hate me later).

Anyways, as an IPA goes, this is pretty good. A little on the hoppier side for my tastes, but the other tastes in this brew balance it out to the point where I would order this on a menu if I saw it.

06-09-2012 06:39:34 | More by fightline
flagmantho

3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from 16oz can into a pint glass. The can says this is 6.9% ABV, rather than the above-noted 8%.

Appearance: rich orange hue with a moderate haze and a good effervescence. Head is two fingers of frothy ivory foam with a bit of an orange cast. Nice!

Smell: mild malty aroma hits me first, followed by some spicy, earthy hops. I like the composition, but the intensity is rather weak.

Taste: very malty character hits me right up front, kind of like a Scottish wee heavy. This is followed by a mellow but tasty combination of citrusy and floral hops. Bitterness comes on slow but is exceedingly smooth. This is not like any other beer I've had which calls itself an Imperial IPA. That said, I rather like it.

Mouthfeel: medium-thick body with a good level of carbonation and a creamy, silky mouthfeel. Great!

Overall: I actually quite like this beer, despite its not fitting into the style terribly well (although I don't know how else it might be classified). I'd definitely have it again.

05-19-2012 17:29:08 | More by flagmantho