Schwarzer Abt - Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH

poor

awful

Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH visit their website

Schwarzbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 08-20-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schwarzer Abt Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

01-11-2014 05:26:38 | More by DamageCase76
RuudJH

Netherlands

1.5/5  rDev -43.2%

Bought on a short trip to Germany. 0,5 l bottle.
Smell is roasty, ashy even... so far so good. It's a black beer. One expects a robust flavour.... but the taste is just strange. Not bitter as it should be. It seems the brewer had this beer taste sweet and added some artificial sweetener. It's terrible.
It's an unpleasant experience overall. I didn't drink more than a few sips.

11-09-2013 09:58:38 | More by RuudJH

05-29-2013 15:38:00 | More by clarknova
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

1.2/5  rDev -54.5%

How in the hell is this beer supposedly "Average"? I am looking forward to reading the good reviews. Given to me by a brewing friend so that I could "get it out my house, I'll never drink it", in fact our brewing club is making a Schwarzbier this year as a club brew and he challenged me that not a single person could conceivably make a worse beer. Sadly he was right.

Pours a fine dark body with minimal head that drops quickly. The nose? Banana. That's right in a lager it is full of ripe banana and not much else. The body itself made me realize it was a drain pour in the first sip. Syrupy sweetness, and let's be honest here I have no clue what else there is in this beer as it went down the sink after two sips (a new record!!). It is a shitty alcho-pop. God awful tripe. Life is too short to drink shit like this.

Shame on you MLCC for bringing this shit to our province. The only good thing about a liquor monopoly should be portecting me from finding beer this horrible, yet you insist on bringing this steaming pile of sweetened cow dung in place of other craft beer from Canada...

11-08-2012 00:17:40 | More by kjyost

British Columbia (Canada)

01-19-2012 06:57:45 | More by schopenhauerale
rinhaak

1.53/5  rDev -42%

0.5 litre bottle, purchased in Darmstadt.

Pours a very dark red, nearly black, with a full head that faded fairly quickly.

The nose is sweet (in a rotten-fruit sort of way) with a lot of smoke, cherry, and rum aromas.

The beer, which is very syrupy in mouthfeel, tastes horrifically sweet, with faint flavors of smoke, cherry cough syrup, and stale coffee.

Overall, this is among the worst beers I have ever had in my life. The first sip alone was nearly enough to make me gag. I could barely finish six sips before I threw the rest away. They add an inverted sugar syrup to the beer, and this is in no way balanced with everything else. The result is a syrupy mess of a drink that resembles NyQuil far more than it does beer.

Avoid it. At all costs.

10-18-2011 08:22:57 | More by rinhaak
stcules

Italy

2.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Almost black beer with highlight of mahogany and rubies, with cappuccino foam, not too thin and compact but very persistent.
The smell is characterized by roasted malts and dark, a little roasted, a thread of smoke with hints of chocolate and cappuccino.
At the taste strand out clearly flavored licorice effect (seems it was intentionally added) that then it is quite exaggerated and cloying. In the background you still perceive the roasted and toasted malts. In the aftertaste too the licorice has an initial impact which then gives way too sweet caramel (maybe candy sugar).
Then the beer is not convincing right to the end, because the addition of sugar (specifically declared on the label) damages the ease of drinking beer.

03-31-2010 20:08:40 | More by stcules
Caml

2.03/5  rDev -23.1%

On tap at Hotel Till Eulenspiegel's Bierkeller in Würzburg(Probably the coolest bar I've yet seen in Germany), served in a narrow .3l mug.

Appearance- Didn't really have much of a light to check it against, but it was a very opaque brown, darkest German beer I've seen in a while, with a nice, soft, almost creamy head that rather resemble the bubbles on top of Swiss Miss. My first impression was something along the lines of: OMGKBS! That was about as good as it got.

Smell- My nose isn't terribly good, but I managed to pick out a little standard roastiness. Nothing special, nothing really off-putting either.

Taste- When the Bierliste said Caramel, Bitter Chocolate, and Coffee, they meant it. Except maybe the "Bitter" part. No bitterness, no backbone, no balance. Sweet Jesus, no balance. I didn't know anything about the brewery and didn't see the bottle, so I was quite amazed that such unchecked palate-sticking sweetness could come from pure malt. When I found out it was beer with sugar syrup added, I was kind of surprised, mainly because I thought they must have used some chocolate syrup and Starbucks syrup as well. I swear I could still feel it cloying to the back of my mouth when I woke up the next morning. Needless to say, hops nor anything that resembled them showed up at any point, regardless of temperature.

Mouthfeel- Not too shabby, thick and pleasantly soft for a few swishes. Later though, it becomes hard to distinguish the feel of the beer in your mouth and the chewy residue of sugar on your palate.

Drinkability- It was pleasantly different for the first few sips before the sweetness really started to build up, but after that it was simply a chore, even though I only got roughly 10oz. The sweetness and trying-too-hard flavor features are just too powerful and too persistent to make for an enjoyable drink. And the looks you get from the waiter and other patrons for drinking "Mädelbier" don't help.

01-21-2010 14:37:11 | More by Caml
lstokes

2.45/5  rDev -7.2%

The Germans who served this to me were thrilled when I started asking them about how it wasn't brewed to the Reinheitsgebot and is that why it wasn't labeled as a beer...

Turns out this tiny brewery got a lot of free publicity a few years back in a lawsuit over this beer. It's always been brewed with sugar syrup, they were claiming that this was a "traditional style" issue, other people thought no, that didn't count, this style that this one brewery had invented wasn't documented well enough, this wasn't beer. There were a lot of lawsuits.

Finally I guess some sort of compromise was reached--you'll notice it's called a "Bräu," not a beer, but does say "Schwarzbier" on the bottom of the label. Of course they got more customers during the "Brandenburger Beer Wars" than they had ever had before, including my Germans.

Unfortunate, because as much as I hate the Reinheitsgebot, this shouldn't be the poster child for what you can do when you throw it off. Black as night, lovely foam and lacing, and silky smooth mouthfeel without bubbles--it didn't feel like anybody had added sugar syrup!--but the taste is damn sweet. Lord. After a while I felt like I was drinking sugared-up Coke with just a bit of roast character--and I can't finish Coke because it's too sweet, so this was a struggle.

...but hey, if this is really the only beer brewed in this style, maybe I should have given it all fives.

09-27-2009 07:36:06 | More by lstokes
ledemie

4.88/5  rDev +84.8%

I am very surprise about the other ratings, my bottle came straight from Germany, a friend brought it ( a German) and recommended it, I wonder if they do not travel well or are too old...

v: Black and opaque color, luxurious, sticky tan head.

S:Dark roasty sweet, chocolate, molasses, a really nice beer.

M: is nice a smooth. silky smooth light body.

D:Truly an exceptional schwarzbier. Seek this out. the balance of that beer is outstanding, still do not understand the F grade of this beer, I guess it was a bad bottle...

no Pairing:

09-25-2009 18:45:36 | More by ledemie
atis

Finland

1.65/5  rDev -37.5%

500 ml bottle from Germany

Pours black with a bit fizzy darkish head that is gone quite soon, full of small carbonation bubbles, almost no lacing. Aroma is weak sweet burnt.

I read in some reviews before that the beer was sweet - but nothing could have prepared me for this amount of sugar, I was not able to taste anything except than burnt sugar with sweet roasted aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light with average carbonation.

I am very dissapointed and could not drink more than a few sips. What is interesting, my wife, who is very much into sour beers found this one to be very nice and drinkable.

06-12-2009 19:09:29 | More by atis
jenitivecase

Kansas

1.85/5  rDev -29.9%

Let it be known that nowhere on the bottle does this beer advertise itself as anything other than a regular schwarzbier. Only by carefully reading the ingredient list can the hapless drinker notice the existence of the massive amounts of sugar in this beer (Invertzuckersirup).

A: Dark dark brown with a light tan head that dies away quickly, leaving no lacing. Carbonation continues to rise up from the bottom of the beer.

S: Malty, with definite sugary overtones, but they seem to be reasonably well balanced by a typical schwarzbier nose.

T: Oh god, sad times. I mean, I checked out this beer's profile after buying it and noticed the existence of the Invertzuckersirup, but I didn't think it was going to be quite like this. It's like someone took a perfectly decent schwarzbier, emptied out half the bottle, and replaced it with sugar - sugar that happens to have the incredibly unfortunate aftertaste of used charcoal and Robitussin. After about five sips to confirm its terribleness, I think I'm actually going to dump this out - and that's saying something.

M: It could be worse, but it's still pretty unhappy - okay going down (the carbonation helps), but the cloying, syrupy aftertaste just lingers in your mouth for what appears to be eternity, which kind of kills it for me.

D: This makes me sad and feels like quitting, but I'm going to go pour it out now. 'Nuff said.

07-10-2008 21:14:40 | More by jenitivecase
dmbfrat420beers

2.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Nice and dark brown with a large light tan head of small bubbles. Aroma is clean with notes of raison. Tastes sweet with raisons, brown sugar, chocolate and some roasted malts. I realized after opening this one that it contains some kind of syrup (“Invertzuckersirup”). I guess it’s not awful, but just way too sweet. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, good carbonation, fairly normal. Cloying sweetness, ended up pouring the rest out after 250ml. Seems like the actual beer in here is not so bad, but I would avoid this unless you like syrup with your beer.

05-13-2007 07:19:28 | More by dmbfrat420beers
HappyHourHero

Indiana

1.53/5  rDev -42%

The color is black, believe it or not. A nice oatmeal colored head sits on top. Dark malt in the aroma comes off as leather and spent gun powder (that's a first!). So the smell is.... weird. The flavor is freakishly sweet and damn near the grossest beer I've had. It tastes like flat cola mixed with coffee grinds and cigarette butts. Damn!!! Yuck! There are even hints of smoked malt in the flavor and aroma in the form of leather and salami. The mouthfeel is akin to a glass of sugar water. What the hell were they thinking when they released this beer. It's a Schwarzbier in that it's black, but otherwise it's just a mess of a beer that sucks.

04-08-2007 21:56:54 | More by HappyHourHero
walleye

1.6/5  rDev -39.4%

from the bottle. poured dark brown, with tan head.aroma, roasted malts, caramel, molasses, cherries, honey. flavor smoke sweet. maple syrup, honey, cherries, malts. this was not a good beer. maybe they should up the alcohol and make it a sweet wine. will not buy this one again

12-18-2004 04:34:31 | More by walleye
nomad

Kansas

2.63/5  rDev -0.4%

Ha ha ha ha - ah, this beer makes me laugh. See, I knew what I was getting myself into before I drank it, unlike some of the sorry souls who didn't. Yeah, its sweet - so what? Its fun how it completely turned the table on typical beer drinking - instead of roasty flavors with maybe a sweet lilt through out, this is sweet flavors with a small roasty tinge from front to end.

Jet black with no head retention, it tastes and smells like unfermented wort. If you've never brewed beer, well, this is what unfermented wort tastes like. A small coffee-like accent peaks around the immense sugar, probably from de-bittered chocolate malt (hence the extreme dark color but little dark flavor).

Its a bit much, but does go really well with spicy, roasty, and otherwise strongly-powered and palette-drying food. A bit bracing even if you're expecting it, but fun nonetheless.

12-03-2004 21:02:59 | More by nomad
merlin48

Kentucky

1.98/5  rDev -25%

1 pint 9 oz bottle with an attractive label and freshness date. Pours dark and opaque, with a small tan head that retains well and generously laces the sides of the imperial pint glass.
Aroma is decent, with dark roasted malts, wood smoke, and brown sugar. No hint of hops in the bouquet.
Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and undercarbonated. A cloying sweetness is immediately detected.
Taste opens with candy sugar and mild floral hops. Wood smoke is prominent, but the sweetness quickly overwhelms the palate. I took another look at the label to see if it said "Sugar Added". This is, by far, the sweetest beer I've ever sampled. No hops or malts come forth to balance the cloying syrupy sweetness. Finishes very sugary, almost in an artificial sense.
Virtually no drinkability unless you want a sugary beer. Sickly sweet and cloying. I don't know what the brewery was thinking when they put this one together. Update on 02/04/05: After reading more about this style, I see that the imbibers of this style in its native environs actually added sugar to versions of this. Quite interesting, but I'm not changing my scores.

11-28-2004 12:11:28 | More by merlin48
ADR

3.53/5  rDev +33.7%

Like all Neuzelle beers I've had, opaque black, a little brown light shows through. Tannish head, milky and leaving very delicate lace. Extremely malty aroma, blueberry pancake syrup and grains. Man this stuff is full, but jeez, its sweet -- sugar on berries, Frosted Flakes in the morning, the hyper sucrose raisins from the Raisin Bran box -- all lay in the mouth like a milkshake that's just recently melted. Carbonation is very low and the end is marked by just an uptick of cough syrup phenols and a speck of brightness. The bottle talks about a "roasty" flavor, I don't see that getting much traction in how it plays out. If you are in the mood, its drinkable, if you're not, its gloppy and cartoonish. It shares many malt flavor similarities to its dark brewery siblings from Nuezelle, but the degree varies. Though its been some time, the Badebier comes out as the best for me, this is like an evaporated milk version.

11-21-2004 20:28:58 | More by ADR
ChrisBowers

Thud. That was the sound of this dud of a beer hitting the ground. Boy was I disappointed in this beer. The bottle looked quite appealing, purchased at Whole Foods in Vienna. "Germany's Abbey Beer". Hmmm. Smell is very sweet, somewhat smokey but with a good whiff of corn, even though I don't think there's any in here. Maybe a little vanilla. Taste... yuck. So sweet I almost spit it out with a finish that tastes like the but of a cigarette. I'm not kidding. This stuff is a vile brew. It left such a horrid aftertaste in my mouth I had to go drink water for a few minutes. $3 down the tubes.

09-16-2004 23:57:23 | More by ChrisBowers
Mitchster

2.13/5  rDev -19.3%

"A rare black beer from Germany's Monastery Brewery founded 1589"-"the taste of paradise".

Pours out to a near-black, very very dark brown, forming a small tan head with average retention and lacing. Carbonation is mild. Aroma of molasses, milk chocolate, prunes, and a touch of coffee...reminds me more of a baltic porter...nice:) Mouthfeel is smooth and syrupy. Taste...prune juice mixed with corn syrup sprinkled with sugar and sweet and low. Very very sweet, probably the sweetest beer I've had next to Leiny's Berry-Weisse. This is as sweet as cider folks. Touch of coffee and roasted grains in the finish. No bitterness to comment on. Sweet, syrupy aftertaste.

Interesting...yes. Good...resoundingly no. I'd like more beer to go with my sugar, please. This blasphemy of a beer goes down the kitchen sink. Uck. Stay away.

09-07-2004 23:30:41 | More by Mitchster
oberon

2.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Wow was this beer a dud pours a deep ruby near black with no head and I mean no head to speak of.The aroma was decent some darck chocolate and a touch of nuttiness,talk about cloying sweetness I couldnt drink more than 4 sips my mouth was already coated with a sticky film.Bottle date says 7-04 not sure if it goes bad after that or if it was brewed on that date I really hope the former cuzz this was pretty bad.

09-05-2004 01:14:02 | More by oberon
allengarvin

1.98/5  rDev -25%

Appearance: Dark dark black, with a head that fades away quickly.

Aroma: Jelly-belly cappacino jellybeans. Really.

Flavor: A bit of malt up front followed by a cloying sweetness. Really cloying. Thin body. Not a long aftertaste, fortunately.

I have a low tolerance for most sweets, and I never add sugar to tea or coffee, and I eat maybe one or two cookies a year. I appreciate the malty sweetness in some dopplebocks, but the sweetness of this beer lacks any balance. To my taste, it is very one-dimensional, and not drinkable at all.

08-28-2004 14:41:17 | More by allengarvin