Schwarzer Abt - Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH

awful

Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH visit their website
Germany

Schwarzbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 08-20-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by dmbfrat420beers:
2.2/5  rDev -17%

Nice and dark brown with a large light tan head of small bubbles. Aroma is clean with notes of raison. Tastes sweet with raisons, brown sugar, chocolate and some roasted malts. I realized after opening this one that it contains some kind of syrup (“Invertzuckersirup”). I guess it’s not awful, but just way too sweet. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, good carbonation, fairly normal. Cloying sweetness, ended up pouring the rest out after 250ml. Seems like the actual beer in here is not so bad, but I would avoid this unless you like syrup with your beer.

2.2/5  rDev -17%

Wow was this beer a dud pours a deep ruby near black with no head and I mean no head to speak of.The aroma was decent some darck chocolate and a touch of nuttiness,talk about cloying sweetness I couldnt drink more than 4 sips my mouth was already coated with a sticky film.Bottle date says 7-04 not sure if it goes bad after that or if it was brewed on that date I really hope the former cuzz this was pretty bad.

1.4/5  rDev -47.2%

Presentation: 0.5l bottle purchased and consumed in Berlin, Germany. Freshness date and map to the brewery on the back. What got my attention was: "Die Rarität aus Schwarzbier mit nachträglichem Invertzuckersirupzusatz" ... which transaltes to: "The rare piece from black beer with additional Invert sugar syrup additive." Hmm? Sugar syrup in my Schwarzbier!! Sod that!!

Appearance: Pours a black beer with fine ruby edges, topped with a creamy, tight, tan lace head. Mediocre retention.

Smell: Coffee syrup-like aromas, some caramel. Seems odd. Contrived.

Taste: Raw sugar sweetness up-front that's hard to shake. Burnt sugar next with some earth notes and day old stale coffee. No discernable beer characters of malt or hops. Flavours linger into the finish, too long and to the point of nearly making me feel ill with sugar shock.

Notes: Way too sweet, in fact after drinking half the bottle I got a head rush, followed by a head ache. Absolutely disgusting and an utter disgrace to the Schwarbier style!

I'm not surprised though given all of the new "sugar+schwarzbier" and "cola+schwarzbier" products that are hitting the German market nearly as fast as alcopops hit the US -- the schwarzbiers are pasteurized and the sugar added.

Very disappointed.

1.98/5  rDev -25.3%

1 pint 9 oz bottle with an attractive label and freshness date. Pours dark and opaque, with a small tan head that retains well and generously laces the sides of the imperial pint glass.
Aroma is decent, with dark roasted malts, wood smoke, and brown sugar. No hint of hops in the bouquet.
Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and undercarbonated. A cloying sweetness is immediately detected.
Taste opens with candy sugar and mild floral hops. Wood smoke is prominent, but the sweetness quickly overwhelms the palate. I took another look at the label to see if it said "Sugar Added". This is, by far, the sweetest beer I've ever sampled. No hops or malts come forth to balance the cloying syrupy sweetness. Finishes very sugary, almost in an artificial sense.
Virtually no drinkability unless you want a sugary beer. Sickly sweet and cloying. I don't know what the brewery was thinking when they put this one together. Update on 02/04/05: After reading more about this style, I see that the imbibers of this style in its native environs actually added sugar to versions of this. Quite interesting, but I'm not changing my scores.

3.53/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Like all Neuzelle beers I've had, opaque black, a little brown light shows through. Tannish head, milky and leaving very delicate lace. Extremely malty aroma, blueberry pancake syrup and grains. Man this stuff is full, but jeez, its sweet -- sugar on berries, Frosted Flakes in the morning, the hyper sucrose raisins from the Raisin Bran box -- all lay in the mouth like a milkshake that's just recently melted. Carbonation is very low and the end is marked by just an uptick of cough syrup phenols and a speck of brightness. The bottle talks about a "roasty" flavor, I don't see that getting much traction in how it plays out. If you are in the mood, its drinkable, if you're not, its gloppy and cartoonish. It shares many malt flavor similarities to its dark brewery siblings from Nuezelle, but the degree varies. Though its been some time, the Badebier comes out as the best for me, this is like an evaporated milk version.

2.83/5  rDev +6.8%

Basically black. Sure, it's dark ruby if you hold it to a light. But look at it sitting there. It looks black. Gray-tan foam above.
Roasty and minorly smoky nose.
Begins with a grilled meat and smokiness akin to their bathbeer. Then in rushes a huge wave of saccharine sweetness. Hello, Sweet and Low! Lingers over-sweetly, as brown sugar creeps in. Hopping is not of note.
Thinnish and relatively drinkable if you like your coffee with 6 packets of artificial sweetner. Otherwise, it's a bit hard to swallow.

This became more palatable as I acclimated myself to the sweetness. But unless you crave raw sugar, this is not something I'd recommend. Their Bathbeer (Badebier) was eons better.

4.35/5  rDev +64.2%

This beer pours a clear very dark red/brown with a large tan creamy head and a firm mouthfeel. The smell is a smokey malt with hints of coffee-very pleasant. The taste is a smokey very sweet malt with little or no hop character. I really enjoyed this beer and think it would be very good as a dessert beer although I could really drink it any time. The sweetness could be overpowering though, and if you find the thought of sweetness and beer not very palatable you might want to pass on this one.

2.03/5  rDev -23.4%

On tap at Hotel Till Eulenspiegel's Bierkeller in Würzburg(Probably the coolest bar I've yet seen in Germany), served in a narrow .3l mug.

Appearance- Didn't really have much of a light to check it against, but it was a very opaque brown, darkest German beer I've seen in a while, with a nice, soft, almost creamy head that rather resemble the bubbles on top of Swiss Miss. My first impression was something along the lines of: OMGKBS! That was about as good as it got.

Smell- My nose isn't terribly good, but I managed to pick out a little standard roastiness. Nothing special, nothing really off-putting either.

Taste- When the Bierliste said Caramel, Bitter Chocolate, and Coffee, they meant it. Except maybe the "Bitter" part. No bitterness, no backbone, no balance. Sweet Jesus, no balance. I didn't know anything about the brewery and didn't see the bottle, so I was quite amazed that such unchecked palate-sticking sweetness could come from pure malt. When I found out it was beer with sugar syrup added, I was kind of surprised, mainly because I thought they must have used some chocolate syrup and Starbucks syrup as well. I swear I could still feel it cloying to the back of my mouth when I woke up the next morning. Needless to say, hops nor anything that resembled them showed up at any point, regardless of temperature.

Mouthfeel- Not too shabby, thick and pleasantly soft for a few swishes. Later though, it becomes hard to distinguish the feel of the beer in your mouth and the chewy residue of sugar on your palate.

Drinkability- It was pleasantly different for the first few sips before the sweetness really started to build up, but after that it was simply a chore, even though I only got roughly 10oz. The sweetness and trying-too-hard flavor features are just too powerful and too persistent to make for an enjoyable drink. And the looks you get from the waiter and other patrons for drinking "Mädelbier" don't help.

1.5/5  rDev -43.4%

Bought on a short trip to Germany. 0,5 l bottle.
Smell is roasty, ashy even... so far so good. It's a black beer. One expects a robust flavour.... but the taste is just strange. Not bitter as it should be. It seems the brewer had this beer taste sweet and added some artificial sweetener. It's terrible.
It's an unpleasant experience overall. I didn't drink more than a few sips.

1.55/5  rDev -41.5%

Simply ghastly. Poured a nice black with a nondescript sweetish roasted malt aroma. On first sip, I was a bit shocked - quite sweet, and I though "hmm, a sweet or milk stout?" The sweetness swelled to unbearable heights. I tried to hang in there, but after a couple more sips, I could stand no more. It was as if someone had dumped the entire sugar bowl into the beer, and then added a few more lumps for good measure. This from the brewery website: "A black beer, manufactured after an old monastery prescription, which may be called however not beer and on that already much was reported in the so called "beer war". The beer, about everyone speaks, a fascination." A monastery prescription? Certainly, I've had medicine that tasted better than this.

2.1/5  rDev -20.8%

Comes in a brown long neck half liter bottle with a black and gold label featuring a happy abbot holding a mug and wagging his finger. Ingredients include invert sugar syrup. Yuck. Best before 11/5/04, I opened it on 8/4/04.

Pours a very nice deep yet clear burgundy under a lovely tan 2+ finger tan head that recedes slowly leaving significant lace. The nose is a bit sweet, but there's still lots of caramel to keep you interested. The mouth is fairly well carbonated and quite light. The taste is all sugar syrup. Wow, this is way too sweet. I'm searching desperately here for signs of the beer that goes with the sugar. OK, a touch of caramel (also sweet), and a hint of hops in the finish that try to fight their way through the sugar cane forest. They don't exactly make it. Like the proverbial spoonful of sugar that makes the medicine go down, this is way too sweet to be good. No, no, no...

4.88/5  rDev +84.2%

I am very surprise about the other ratings, my bottle came straight from Germany, a friend brought it ( a German) and recommended it, I wonder if they do not travel well or are too old...

v: Black and opaque color, luxurious, sticky tan head.

S:Dark roasty sweet, chocolate, molasses, a really nice beer.

M: is nice a smooth. silky smooth light body.

D:Truly an exceptional schwarzbier. Seek this out. the balance of that beer is outstanding, still do not understand the F grade of this beer, I guess it was a bad bottle...

no Pairing:

3.53/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

(500 ml bottle, bought in Norway). Pours with a good lasting head, colour is black (= very dark brown to ruby). Very nice aroma of hayloft, some barnyard, molasses, dark syrup, coffee and German bakery. Flavour and aftertaste have interesting rich malty notes with some roastiness, but are unfortunately ruined by the invertsugar syrup which has been added to the brew. Must be another beer for "convalescents and nursing mothers".

3.58/5  rDev +35.1%

Poured an opaque blackness with a smallish tan head. It looked a little thin and watery and tasted slightly thin but not as thin as it looked. I would have to say this is by far the sweetest beer I have ever had. It tasted like straight sugar, more sugary than coke. The were some other flavors like molasses, roastiness, and hops but they couldn't sway that sugary front. I drank this one fast because it was so easy going down and the lacked of complexity or thickness made it very uncomplicated. Truly an interesting beer.

4.63/5  rDev +74.7%

A clear, very dark red-brown Black Lager with a largish tan, creamy head. The smell is sweet and malty along with coffee. The taste is also SWEET and malty finishing like strong coffee. The texture in my mouth is firm. I found this beer to be fabulous, although very sweet; I would drink more as a dessert beer.

(source: Savannah, GA)

1.53/5  rDev -42.3%

The color is black, believe it or not. A nice oatmeal colored head sits on top. Dark malt in the aroma comes off as leather and spent gun powder (that's a first!). So the smell is.... weird. The flavor is freakishly sweet and damn near the grossest beer I've had. It tastes like flat cola mixed with coffee grinds and cigarette butts. Damn!!! Yuck! There are even hints of smoked malt in the flavor and aroma in the form of leather and salami. The mouthfeel is akin to a glass of sugar water. What the hell were they thinking when they released this beer. It's a Schwarzbier in that it's black, but otherwise it's just a mess of a beer that sucks.

1.65/5  rDev -37.7%

500 ml bottle from Germany

Pours black with a bit fizzy darkish head that is gone quite soon, full of small carbonation bubbles, almost no lacing. Aroma is weak sweet burnt.

I read in some reviews before that the beer was sweet - but nothing could have prepared me for this amount of sugar, I was not able to taste anything except than burnt sugar with sweet roasted aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light with average carbonation.

I am very dissapointed and could not drink more than a few sips. What is interesting, my wife, who is very much into sour beers found this one to be very nice and drinkable.

Wow! What an amazing beer to stumble upon. Best German Schwarzbier I have tasted. The Black Abbott is a beer to search for....

Pours midnight black and appears very well carbonated, but not overly so. A nice soft tan head forms and perches on top like a cloud. The aroma is rich, earthy, and breadlike with crisp roasted chocolate undertones. The taste is mellow and smooth with no harshness: chocolate, roasted -- perfect. The mouthfeel is also rich and thick, but not cloying. A great, great beer for those who can appreciate its ebony richness.

Thud. That was the sound of this dud of a beer hitting the ground. Boy was I disappointed in this beer. The bottle looked quite appealing, purchased at Whole Foods in Vienna. "Germany's Abbey Beer". Hmmm. Smell is very sweet, somewhat smokey but with a good whiff of corn, even though I don't think there's any in here. Maybe a little vanilla. Taste... yuck. So sweet I almost spit it out with a finish that tastes like the but of a cigarette. I'm not kidding. This stuff is a vile brew. It left such a horrid aftertaste in my mouth I had to go drink water for a few minutes. $3 down the tubes.

1.5/5  rDev -43.4%

4.8/5  rDev +81.1%

Every once in a while a beer comes along that makes you stop everyting else you're doing and focus on it. This is one of those beers. Black and opaque color, luxurious, sticky tan head. Dark roasty sweet, chocolatey, trace alcohol aroma. Those elements are noted in the flavor as well as some molasses. Mouthfeel is substantial, grainy, almost gritty. I had to restrain myself from chugging this rich, smooth treat. Truly an exceptional schwarzbier. Seek this out.

3.68/5  rDev +38.9%

Creamy, light brown head on top of a typical schwarzbier body. Sweet, coffeeish, roasty nose. Sweetness reminded me of of cola. Taste was slightly roasty up front. Tasty juicy malt was not too think. Mouth feel was slick and not too carbonated. All of the beer I've had by these guys have been perfectly carbonated. Bitterness from hops pairs well with the black malt astringency. The beer was a bit thin, but I've found this to be thie the case with the style. With that in mind, it's body was just fine.

1.75/5  rDev -34%