Schwarzer Abt - Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH

poor

awful

Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH visit their website

Schwarzbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 08-20-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schwarzer Abt Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
DamageCase76

Ontario (Canada)

01-11-2014 05:26:38 | More by DamageCase76
ChrisBowers

Thud. That was the sound of this dud of a beer hitting the ground. Boy was I disappointed in this beer. The bottle looked quite appealing, purchased at Whole Foods in Vienna. "Germany's Abbey Beer". Hmmm. Smell is very sweet, somewhat smokey but with a good whiff of corn, even though I don't think there's any in here. Maybe a little vanilla. Taste... yuck. So sweet I almost spit it out with a finish that tastes like the but of a cigarette. I'm not kidding. This stuff is a vile brew. It left such a horrid aftertaste in my mouth I had to go drink water for a few minutes. $3 down the tubes.

09-16-2004 23:57:23 | More by ChrisBowers
merlin48

Kentucky

1.98/5  rDev -25%

1 pint 9 oz bottle with an attractive label and freshness date. Pours dark and opaque, with a small tan head that retains well and generously laces the sides of the imperial pint glass.
Aroma is decent, with dark roasted malts, wood smoke, and brown sugar. No hint of hops in the bouquet.
Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and undercarbonated. A cloying sweetness is immediately detected.
Taste opens with candy sugar and mild floral hops. Wood smoke is prominent, but the sweetness quickly overwhelms the palate. I took another look at the label to see if it said "Sugar Added". This is, by far, the sweetest beer I've ever sampled. No hops or malts come forth to balance the cloying syrupy sweetness. Finishes very sugary, almost in an artificial sense.
Virtually no drinkability unless you want a sugary beer. Sickly sweet and cloying. I don't know what the brewery was thinking when they put this one together. Update on 02/04/05: After reading more about this style, I see that the imbibers of this style in its native environs actually added sugar to versions of this. Quite interesting, but I'm not changing my scores.

11-28-2004 12:11:28 | More by merlin48
allengarvin

1.98/5  rDev -25%

Appearance: Dark dark black, with a head that fades away quickly.

Aroma: Jelly-belly cappacino jellybeans. Really.

Flavor: A bit of malt up front followed by a cloying sweetness. Really cloying. Thin body. Not a long aftertaste, fortunately.

I have a low tolerance for most sweets, and I never add sugar to tea or coffee, and I eat maybe one or two cookies a year. I appreciate the malty sweetness in some dopplebocks, but the sweetness of this beer lacks any balance. To my taste, it is very one-dimensional, and not drinkable at all.

08-28-2004 14:41:17 | More by allengarvin
jenitivecase

Kansas

1.85/5  rDev -29.9%

Let it be known that nowhere on the bottle does this beer advertise itself as anything other than a regular schwarzbier. Only by carefully reading the ingredient list can the hapless drinker notice the existence of the massive amounts of sugar in this beer (Invertzuckersirup).

A: Dark dark brown with a light tan head that dies away quickly, leaving no lacing. Carbonation continues to rise up from the bottom of the beer.

S: Malty, with definite sugary overtones, but they seem to be reasonably well balanced by a typical schwarzbier nose.

T: Oh god, sad times. I mean, I checked out this beer's profile after buying it and noticed the existence of the Invertzuckersirup, but I didn't think it was going to be quite like this. It's like someone took a perfectly decent schwarzbier, emptied out half the bottle, and replaced it with sugar - sugar that happens to have the incredibly unfortunate aftertaste of used charcoal and Robitussin. After about five sips to confirm its terribleness, I think I'm actually going to dump this out - and that's saying something.

M: It could be worse, but it's still pretty unhappy - okay going down (the carbonation helps), but the cloying, syrupy aftertaste just lingers in your mouth for what appears to be eternity, which kind of kills it for me.

D: This makes me sad and feels like quitting, but I'm going to go pour it out now. 'Nuff said.

07-10-2008 21:14:40 | More by jenitivecase
clarknova

1.75/5  rDev -33.7%

05-29-2013 15:38:00 | More by clarknova
atis

Finland

1.65/5  rDev -37.5%

500 ml bottle from Germany

Pours black with a bit fizzy darkish head that is gone quite soon, full of small carbonation bubbles, almost no lacing. Aroma is weak sweet burnt.

I read in some reviews before that the beer was sweet - but nothing could have prepared me for this amount of sugar, I was not able to taste anything except than burnt sugar with sweet roasted aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light with average carbonation.

I am very dissapointed and could not drink more than a few sips. What is interesting, my wife, who is very much into sour beers found this one to be very nice and drinkable.

06-12-2009 19:09:29 | More by atis
walleye

1.6/5  rDev -39.4%

from the bottle. poured dark brown, with tan head.aroma, roasted malts, caramel, molasses, cherries, honey. flavor smoke sweet. maple syrup, honey, cherries, malts. this was not a good beer. maybe they should up the alcohol and make it a sweet wine. will not buy this one again

12-18-2004 04:34:31 | More by walleye
Brent

Kentucky

1.55/5  rDev -41.3%

Simply ghastly. Poured a nice black with a nondescript sweetish roasted malt aroma. On first sip, I was a bit shocked - quite sweet, and I though "hmm, a sweet or milk stout?" The sweetness swelled to unbearable heights. I tried to hang in there, but after a couple more sips, I could stand no more. It was as if someone had dumped the entire sugar bowl into the beer, and then added a few more lumps for good measure. This from the brewery website: "A black beer, manufactured after an old monastery prescription, which may be called however not beer and on that already much was reported in the so called "beer war". The beer, about everyone speaks, a fascination." A monastery prescription? Certainly, I've had medicine that tasted better than this.

08-13-2004 15:27:54 | More by Brent
HappyHourHero

Indiana

1.53/5  rDev -42%

The color is black, believe it or not. A nice oatmeal colored head sits on top. Dark malt in the aroma comes off as leather and spent gun powder (that's a first!). So the smell is.... weird. The flavor is freakishly sweet and damn near the grossest beer I've had. It tastes like flat cola mixed with coffee grinds and cigarette butts. Damn!!! Yuck! There are even hints of smoked malt in the flavor and aroma in the form of leather and salami. The mouthfeel is akin to a glass of sugar water. What the hell were they thinking when they released this beer. It's a Schwarzbier in that it's black, but otherwise it's just a mess of a beer that sucks.

04-08-2007 21:56:54 | More by HappyHourHero
rinhaak

1.53/5  rDev -42%

0.5 litre bottle, purchased in Darmstadt.

Pours a very dark red, nearly black, with a full head that faded fairly quickly.

The nose is sweet (in a rotten-fruit sort of way) with a lot of smoke, cherry, and rum aromas.

The beer, which is very syrupy in mouthfeel, tastes horrifically sweet, with faint flavors of smoke, cherry cough syrup, and stale coffee.

Overall, this is among the worst beers I have ever had in my life. The first sip alone was nearly enough to make me gag. I could barely finish six sips before I threw the rest away. They add an inverted sugar syrup to the beer, and this is in no way balanced with everything else. The result is a syrupy mess of a drink that resembles NyQuil far more than it does beer.

Avoid it. At all costs.

10-18-2011 08:22:57 | More by rinhaak
RuudJH

Netherlands

1.5/5  rDev -43.2%

Bought on a short trip to Germany. 0,5 l bottle.
Smell is roasty, ashy even... so far so good. It's a black beer. One expects a robust flavour.... but the taste is just strange. Not bitter as it should be. It seems the brewer had this beer taste sweet and added some artificial sweetener. It's terrible.
It's an unpleasant experience overall. I didn't drink more than a few sips.

11-09-2013 09:58:38 | More by RuudJH
rredshift

1.5/5  rDev -43.2%

10-08-2013 17:08:10 | More by rredshift
Todd

Colorado

1.4/5  rDev -47%

Presentation: 0.5l bottle purchased and consumed in Berlin, Germany. Freshness date and map to the brewery on the back. What got my attention was: "Die Rarität aus Schwarzbier mit nachträglichem Invertzuckersirupzusatz" ... which transaltes to: "The rare piece from black beer with additional Invert sugar syrup additive." Hmm? Sugar syrup in my Schwarzbier!! Sod that!!

Appearance: Pours a black beer with fine ruby edges, topped with a creamy, tight, tan lace head. Mediocre retention.

Smell: Coffee syrup-like aromas, some caramel. Seems odd. Contrived.

Taste: Raw sugar sweetness up-front that's hard to shake. Burnt sugar next with some earth notes and day old stale coffee. No discernable beer characters of malt or hops. Flavours linger into the finish, too long and to the point of nearly making me feel ill with sugar shock.

Notes: Way too sweet, in fact after drinking half the bottle I got a head rush, followed by a head ache. Absolutely disgusting and an utter disgrace to the Schwarbier style!

I'm not surprised though given all of the new "sugar+schwarzbier" and "cola+schwarzbier" products that are hitting the German market nearly as fast as alcopops hit the US -- the schwarzbiers are pasteurized and the sugar added.

Very disappointed.

10-08-2012 11:28:58 | More by petluo
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

1.2/5  rDev -54.5%

How in the hell is this beer supposedly "Average"? I am looking forward to reading the good reviews. Given to me by a brewing friend so that I could "get it out my house, I'll never drink it", in fact our brewing club is making a Schwarzbier this year as a club brew and he challenged me that not a single person could conceivably make a worse beer. Sadly he was right.

Pours a fine dark body with minimal head that drops quickly. The nose? Banana. That's right in a lager it is full of ripe banana and not much else. The body itself made me realize it was a drain pour in the first sip. Syrupy sweetness, and let's be honest here I have no clue what else there is in this beer as it went down the sink after two sips (a new record!!). It is a shitty alcho-pop. God awful tripe. Life is too short to drink shit like this.

Shame on you MLCC for bringing this shit to our province. The only good thing about a liquor monopoly should be portecting me from finding beer this horrible, yet you insist on bringing this steaming pile of sweetened cow dung in place of other craft beer from Canada...

11-08-2012 00:17:40 | More by kjyost