Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot) - Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH

Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot)Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot)

poor

Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH visit their website
Germany

Schwarzbier |  3.90% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2005

to view more.
Ratings: 42 | Reviews: 36
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Bad Neuzeller in eastern Germany was up next. I'd had their Schwarzes Abt (Black Abbot) before and wasn't impressed, but I thought on tap, maybe it's better. NOPE. It was still a 3.5% dark, syrupy, sickenly sweet malt mess and not much else. Damn, suckered in by their marketing again. A 2-.

1.67/5  rDev -36.7%

My recent criteria, in the last few weeks before leaving Germany for more tropical shores, has been to go to the local beer shop, and buy every beer priced at or above about euro 0.85-1.0 per 0.5L bottle. I go maybe twice a week, and in this way choose maybe 8-odd beers each time - thus perhaps 2-3 hopefully good beers to enjoy per night. This selection strategy narrows the field down to about the top 20% or so, of the (maybe) 300-500 beers on offer..

With the idea that expensive should somehow hopefully loosely equate to good, this exercise is intended to give me a last blast through the huge German and central European offering, before heading to Singapore, and being resigned to only getting expensive swill, or hideously expensive imported mediocrity.

This 'Black Abbot' beer was one that came into these criteria, but what a jaw-dropping surprise!

A: Black. But very very dark chestnut when held up to the light. 1/2" pale caramel head that held up well.

S: No discernible smell to me.

T: Truly jaw-dropping. I have never had a beer anywhere approaching this. It is like a cola (Pepsi?), with extra sugar added. It was my first beer of the evening, so I had a clear palette and yet there was nothing in it that would make me identify it as beer, or for that matter any alcoholic drink. If blind-folded, I'd guess sweetened Pepsi. Last guess? Sweetened Pepsi. That is how strange I found it.

M: Like Pepsi

O: Perhaps the most surprising, disappointing, and unpleasant beer I have ever encountered in my life. The 2nd half got poured down the drain, and I cannot even imagine if, never mind when, I might have ever done that before, that dear reader is how dreadful this relatively expensive 'beer' was for me.

2.68/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Black. Pours a creamy two finger head.

Aroma: Malty, with a hint of liquorice. Very mild though.

Taste: Kind of a malt liquor flavour, not much depth or character.

Mouthfeel: Lightish body, low to moderate carbonation.

Overall: Nothing to impress.

2.19/5  rDev -17%

A: Pour is black with a rich large tan compact head that slowly sets into awsome lacings.

S: Hard roasted dark malts, mostly dryness. Bitter hops. Some smoked ham and even some tobacco.

T: Very, very sweet - it feels like they put suger in it. Dark, hard roasted malts and even the smoke gets overpowered by the sweetness.

M: Sweet, sticky aftertaste. Body is rather thin and carbonation mild.

O: How to ruin a beer with to much sweetness...

3.48/5  rDev +31.8%

Poured from a 500ml bottle.

Very light head, and very light lacing around the glass.

Initial smells are strong of caramel, hints of coffee and sweet malts.

Taste profile is very similar to the smell, dominant caramel flavor with hints of liquorice.

Mouthfeel is very light, body is small and carbonation also very light.

Aftertaste is an overpowering sweetness, almost to the point of making it unpleasing. I find this aftertaste spoils the rest of the experience of the beer, which has some complex and interesting elements to it.

2.81/5  rDev +6.4%

500ml Bottle poured into a strange looking mini-stemmed goblet glass (badged by the brewery) in ‘Aufsturz’, Berlin.

This is a true ‘schwarzer’ beer, it is black: well almost anyway. Very dark brown really: with a lighter brown head that produces good lacing as the beer level falls.

The smell and tastes are very similar: sweet. Malty molasses dominate both with a nut chocolate bar feel. The bodyfeel was OK, even with only 3.9%ABV it held together well and seemed rich and almost creamy in texture.

Overall the beer is just too sweet and although I enjoyed the first half of the bottle it was a chore to finish it: in fact I passed it around the table for my wife and two friends to try, sickly sweet was mentioned in their thoughts.

3.59/5  rDev +36%

Neuzeller Klofter-Brau Black Abbot

Appearance: dark brown, small head, and a little lacing.

Smell: caramel apple.

Taste: roasted malts, slight apple, and faint toffee.

Mouthfeel: light.

Overall:
This is a decent brew. It is slightly watery, but full of flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +59.1%

I was really impressed with this beer. After slowly enjoying a tall glass and passing it around my household, I eagerly looked for more information about it and found such an amazing array of disparaging reviews here.

Let's not misjudge someone else's beer culture. Yes, there is plenty of sweetness here, but it accents the rich malts of the recipe. The flavors are clean, roasty, chocolaty, full and yes sweet - not accidentally but with a purpose. Much has been told of those old German beers consumed during Lent, but this beer would be much more practical in comparison to those very strong dopplebocks.

The old beer community near this far eastern German brewery cares not one wit about the rest of the world's opinion - this recipe came before and will go on - that's what this beer say to me.

2.65/5  rDev +0.4%

16.9 oz bottle served in pint glass

A: nearly opaque, but rather brown for style. Small, short-lived head.

S: slightly sweet, caramel malt; not bad, but very light

T: sweet! Probably the sweetest beer I've ever had. Think, beer soda. Certainly way, way sweeter than is to be expected for a schwarzbier. Other flavor components in there, but the sweetness is just overpowering. I'm drinking this rather cold; if it warms up it is likely to taste even sweeter.

M: too thin and watery; low carbonation.

O - very disappointing beer from a monastic brewery. "ultimate German dark beer" (on label) ... not even close. {The ultimate would be the black beer from the Bavarian Weltenburg Brewery, in my experience).

2.48/5  rDev -6.1%

500ml. Pretty black, little brown edges. A thin white layer.

Aroma has light roast, molasses. Some anise and licorice maybe.

Taste- it is sweet. I get a ton of molasses. Some off cardboard flavors. Finishes with sweet molasses, brown and candy sugar. Bottom line, sweet.

Thinner bodied, the sweetness doesn't thicken it up. Not an easy brew to put down in spite of the low abv.

Maybe for getting a cola drinker into craft.

2.39/5  rDev -9.5%

A: great tawny head, near opaque in color
S: somewhat light, a bit of caramel malt, slightly sweet
T: yuck!, sweet, cloying, thin, very disappointing at $4.99 per bottle and a monastic brewery, not at all what I expected.
M: thin, sweet, watery
D: not, somewhat diacetyl too

If this is their flagship beer (as written on the bottle), look out! One of the most disappointing German beers I've ever had.

1.96/5  rDev -25.8%

500ml bottle. Pours a dark pretty much black with some red notes. The head is large, foamy and off-white. As it recedes it leaves some pretty good lacing.

The smell is light, with a hint of cocoa. There is a subtle sweetness, and a bit of bread.

The taste is too sweet for my taste, I'm not sure what they were going for here, but it isn't that great.

The mouthfeel is rather thin.

1.61/5  rDev -39%

Picked this up while on vacation in Berlin. Deep black pour with nice caramel colored head. Nose had a tinge of bacon to it but not really much else going on. The taste blew me away. I just reviewed a German Porter that was over the top sweet for the style but this was even worse! Almost all the German Schwarzbier I've had has been great. But this was straight up cola beer. I at least got half way through the Porter before having to pour it out, but this was almost immediately going into the sink. This was one of the worst German beers I've ever had!

2.13/5  rDev -19.3%

The first time I tasted this brew I thought it was ok, but I think the other beers I had prior to it masked it's undrinkability. It pours a very dark brown with a foamy cream colored head that dissapears almost immediately. The nose was that of brown sugar and maple sap. Flavors were just way too off for this style. It was almost sugary-sweet, with hints of spice. The beer is almost as if it were ten-year old cola with alcohol. The mouthfeel was mediocre as well. Thin and diluted, I am glad the finish didn't stick around for very long. I found Black Abbot to be undrinkable. For me, it was a drain pour after a third of the bottle.

1.83/5  rDev -30.7%

Had high hopes for this after seeing how it was brewed in a monestary and all. I had a german hefe weisse just before this and couldn't believe the taste of this. Cleansed my palate and started over affirming the flat Dr. Pepper taste of this undrinkable "beer". Poured it down the drain.

1.66/5  rDev -37.1%

50cL bottle. Pours black with mahogany tinges; thick, fluffy taupe head. Strong chocolaty malt aromas with some metallic notes on the nose. Taste is incredibly sweet; very cola-like without much malt character. Slightly fruity finish. Medium bodied with very little carbonation. Way too sweet to be drinkable--actually poured this one down the drain after finishing half of it.

2.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance is a deep black-brown with a minimal rocky tan head. Aroma has deep malt character with notes of raisin, burnt sugar, and just a hint of smoke. This just smells "German" too, with notes of melanoidans and flowery noble hops. Taste has some wonderful malty notes of the same character as the aroma....aaand that's where it all ends. This was sooo sweet and overpoweringly cloying that I could not finish this beer. It's got some really wonderful aromas and complex malty flavors but the sweetness is just to overwhelming. Maybe this is intended by the brewer for the style and I just don't get it, or maybe something went horribly wrong between the brewery and my glass. Either way, I really wanted to like this beer because of it's potential. Darn.

2.1/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Cool 500ml bottle so I thought I'd give it a try. Color is black as night, opaque, with a thin tan head.

Smell is predominantly roasty chocolate with coffee and a hint of anise. Pretty good so far.

Here's where it goes south. The taste is surprisingly sweet, cloying, with slight cocoa and vanilla. Just way too darn sweet.

Mouthfeel is syrupy with no carbonation at all. Quite disappointing.

I tried to fight through, and I might've made it if it was only 12oz. I tried to let it warm (partially because I couldn't bring myself to drink it), but it didn't help at all. This turned out to be a rare drain pour for me.

Tasted on 11/11/08.

2.46/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance - pours a cola black with brownish edge hues. Minimal head despite the rough pour. Light mocha head with good striped lacing.

Aroma - light crackery grain, some buttery diacetyl. After it settles it has a very butterscotchy nose. Okay, but is that how a schwarz should smell?

Taste - sweet malt, very sweet. Roasted grain, light diacetyl, coffee with sugar - make that sugars... No hop presence, which is desperately needed to take some of the edge off the overdone sweetness. Missed opportunity, I think with one-third the sugar this beer would contend.

Mouthfeel - thin and with low carbonation. My first thought is that this beer was flat, but I think it's where they intended.

Drinkability - way too sweet for me to session, though I reckon that provides some additional sustenance during a fast.

1.98/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a deep brown, almost black hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a smooth burnt grain with some coffee overtones. Some sweetness.

The flavor consisted of a full blown sugary sweetness. Tasted like cold coffee with milk and sugar substitute. Difficult to finish.

The mouthfeel was sickeningly sweet and milky.

This beer was difficult to finish. Not recommended.

2.1/5  rDev -20.5%

Definetly a dark, even black beer. Not much head after pour and a little foam for most of the drink. The aroma is of light brown sugar, toffee and cheap caramel syrup. The taste has hints of roasted malt syrup with some Bullseye candy in the middle with some pecan torty flavors. All of these sweet flavors are heavily diluted with water. But still very cloying. This is beer feels like steeped grains with straight cain sugar added to the brew. Won't buy this beer again.

3.65/5  rDev +38.3%

The brewers aren't kidding around when they call this a black beer; no light penetrates through my mug. This lager foams up real good and and leaves a nice little ring of foam. The aroma is quite wonderful, suggesting cocoa and bits of charcoal. This is ever so silky smooth schwarzbier is quite sweet, with a lot of cola-like sweetness from the start to the finish. This beer loses its carbonation quickly and ends up tasting a bit like a flat RC cola. There's actually a bit of jager-like spicines and flavor to this beer. Perhaps the addition of a small amount of licorice? Still, this beer may be a bit too sweet for my taste.

Overall, a very interesting schwarz for sure and one that may scare some people (especially hopheads) away, but is worth trying.

2.36/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours an opaque ebony, with a one and half finger head of biege cream. Good retention that leaves sticky sheets of lace. Roasted barley nose with faint dextrins and coffee notes, and a bourbon or oak-aged aroma. The taste is very sweet upfront, like under-attentuated. Roasted and coffee flavors, with an overall artificial sweetener taste. Drying aftertaste with a charred flavor and faint herbal hops. Nearly flat carbonation and full body give a creamy mouthfeel, but allow the unbalanced sweetness to become cloying. Final swig is very residual despite the herbal hops pulling through. This starts out nice, but I can't say it was easy to finish.

1.9/5  rDev -28%

Poured a vitrually black color with moderate tannish head. Smell is enjoyable with nice dark fruit, rich chocolate and black coffee dlending together nicely. Slight molasses smell also present. Taste is absolutely horrible. One of the most disgusting tastes of any beer I have ever. It's akin to amixture of coke syrup, expresso, molasses and pure sugar. I am having trouble getting the taste out of my mouth. Horrible. Three sips is enough.

1.78/5  rDev -32.6%

16.9oz bottle via Christmas gift. Thanks for the opportunity, Kris.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" brown head above the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head quickly fades down to an uneven layer of bubbles, with sticky light brown lacing. Aroma is sweet dark malts. Taste is the sweetest brew I have had in forever. Like dropping a sugarcube into a shot of schwartzbier and drinking that. Yuck. Mouthfeel and drinkability suffer the same fate. Will not be revisiting this, ever. I'd rather drink tasteless swill.

to view more.
Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot) from Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH