Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot) - Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH

Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot)Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot)

poor

Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH visit their website
Germany

Schwarzbier |  3.90% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2005

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.33/5  rDev -11.7%

Presentation: A distinctive looking black, gold and cream colored label sits affront the ubiquitous standard looking Teutonic 500ml brown glass bottle. A cream colored middle section has a dark blue triangle that has an image of a jovial looking Monk fondling a large golden stein. Brewed by “Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu” and listed as “Black Abbot Lager” and listed as a “Rare Black Beer from Germany’s Monastery Brewery Founded 1589…the taste of paradise”. Dated 14.07.04, which I presume (hope!) is the actual bottling date as this was advertised as a new brew at the store where I bought it.

Appearance: Very dark black body which had a murky look to it. Quickly after the pour the tan colored head relaxes to a thin covering, creamy looking but thin.

Nose: Sweet molasses and sweeter chocolate malts punctuate the aromas. Horribly sickly, I didn’t spend too long sniffing this one.

Taste: Light milk chocolate drenched in a sickly black treacle sweet middle. I struggled to get beyond this part of the Black Abbot to be honest and lost interest in even trying to explain this, but if I could sum it up quickly it would be something like “tastes like a Fizzy Sweet Supermarket brand Cola meets a Cold Cup of Coffee and 10 spoonfuls of Sugar”. Far too unbalanced & extremely heavy on the sweetness. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Nice enough but by now the Mouthfeel was the least of my concerns. The conditioning supports the brew nicely though but the sickly nature means that I couldn’t care less if it did because it’s like one of the sugary cheap and nasty Sodas which I love to hate.

Drinkability: I didn’t actually finish the whole bottle; I had some hot food calling my name from the Oven so I left the last third of the bottle, good job I guess as I really didn’t take to this one.

Overall: As with the other Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu brews, this cost me only $2.99 for yet another rarely seen Germanic offering from Hollingshead Delicatessen in Orange during a recent visit.

The Black Abbot is simply far too sweet for me, disappointing.

2.19/5  rDev -17%

A: Pour is black with a rich large tan compact head that slowly sets into awsome lacings.

S: Hard roasted dark malts, mostly dryness. Bitter hops. Some smoked ham and even some tobacco.

T: Very, very sweet - it feels like they put suger in it. Dark, hard roasted malts and even the smoke gets overpowered by the sweetness.

M: Sweet, sticky aftertaste. Body is rather thin and carbonation mild.

O: How to ruin a beer with to much sweetness...

2.18/5  rDev -17.4%

Utterly unilluminated umber, other than a thin rim of reddish gold where schwarzbier meets glass. The compact, two finger head is the color of malted milk, with an active, bubble-packed surface. The best part of an already attractive appearance is lace that looks like paint daubed on with a sponge.

The nose is much closer to the caramel-butterscotch-vanilla family than the chocolate-coffee family. Come to think of it, this beer smells exactly like the flavored coffees that some of my co-workers drink; the ones that don't smell or taste like coffee, but like the flavorings themselves. While it isn't really to style, it's a pretty good nose nevertheless.

Black Abbot is ghastly, sickeningly sweet beer. It tastes like sugar and watery molasses were added to a poor quality dark lager. It also tastes as artificially flavored as any beer in recent memory. Was any barley malt used? I can't appreciate it in the flavor or the mouthfeel.

Is this really beer? Seriously, it tastes like something that should be sold to flavor coffee. My first few sips contained a metallic tang on the finish that, thankfully, with time and warming, has faded. What's left is a thin, horrendously sweet, virtually carbonation-free stream of beer-like liquid. Gack.

I've had a few very good schwarzbiers in the past several months, so I was interested to see how this one stacks up. Without going into any further detail, my feelings should be obvious by now. The label states " ...the taste of paradise", but I beg to differ. More like the 7th Circle of Beer Hell.

2.13/5  rDev -19.3%

The first time I tasted this brew I thought it was ok, but I think the other beers I had prior to it masked it's undrinkability. It pours a very dark brown with a foamy cream colored head that dissapears almost immediately. The nose was that of brown sugar and maple sap. Flavors were just way too off for this style. It was almost sugary-sweet, with hints of spice. The beer is almost as if it were ten-year old cola with alcohol. The mouthfeel was mediocre as well. Thin and diluted, I am glad the finish didn't stick around for very long. I found Black Abbot to be undrinkable. For me, it was a drain pour after a third of the bottle.

2.1/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Cool 500ml bottle so I thought I'd give it a try. Color is black as night, opaque, with a thin tan head.

Smell is predominantly roasty chocolate with coffee and a hint of anise. Pretty good so far.

Here's where it goes south. The taste is surprisingly sweet, cloying, with slight cocoa and vanilla. Just way too darn sweet.

Mouthfeel is syrupy with no carbonation at all. Quite disappointing.

I tried to fight through, and I might've made it if it was only 12oz. I tried to let it warm (partially because I couldn't bring myself to drink it), but it didn't help at all. This turned out to be a rare drain pour for me.

Tasted on 11/11/08.

2.1/5  rDev -20.5%

Definetly a dark, even black beer. Not much head after pour and a little foam for most of the drink. The aroma is of light brown sugar, toffee and cheap caramel syrup. The taste has hints of roasted malt syrup with some Bullseye candy in the middle with some pecan torty flavors. All of these sweet flavors are heavily diluted with water. But still very cloying. This is beer feels like steeped grains with straight cain sugar added to the brew. Won't buy this beer again.

look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Bad Neuzeller in eastern Germany was up next. I'd had their Schwarzes Abt (Black Abbot) before and wasn't impressed, but I thought on tap, maybe it's better. NOPE. It was still a 3.5% dark, syrupy, sickenly sweet malt mess and not much else. Damn, suckered in by their marketing again. A 2-.

1.98/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a deep brown, almost black hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a smooth burnt grain with some coffee overtones. Some sweetness.

The flavor consisted of a full blown sugary sweetness. Tasted like cold coffee with milk and sugar substitute. Difficult to finish.

The mouthfeel was sickeningly sweet and milky.

This beer was difficult to finish. Not recommended.

1.96/5  rDev -25.8%

500ml bottle. Pours a dark pretty much black with some red notes. The head is large, foamy and off-white. As it recedes it leaves some pretty good lacing.

The smell is light, with a hint of cocoa. There is a subtle sweetness, and a bit of bread.

The taste is too sweet for my taste, I'm not sure what they were going for here, but it isn't that great.

The mouthfeel is rather thin.

1.9/5  rDev -28%

Poured a vitrually black color with moderate tannish head. Smell is enjoyable with nice dark fruit, rich chocolate and black coffee dlending together nicely. Slight molasses smell also present. Taste is absolutely horrible. One of the most disgusting tastes of any beer I have ever. It's akin to amixture of coke syrup, expresso, molasses and pure sugar. I am having trouble getting the taste out of my mouth. Horrible. Three sips is enough.

1.83/5  rDev -30.7%

Had high hopes for this after seeing how it was brewed in a monestary and all. I had a german hefe weisse just before this and couldn't believe the taste of this. Cleansed my palate and started over affirming the flat Dr. Pepper taste of this undrinkable "beer". Poured it down the drain.

1.78/5  rDev -32.6%

16.9oz bottle via Christmas gift. Thanks for the opportunity, Kris.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" brown head above the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head quickly fades down to an uneven layer of bubbles, with sticky light brown lacing. Aroma is sweet dark malts. Taste is the sweetest brew I have had in forever. Like dropping a sugarcube into a shot of schwartzbier and drinking that. Yuck. Mouthfeel and drinkability suffer the same fate. Will not be revisiting this, ever. I'd rather drink tasteless swill.

1.75/5  rDev -33.7%

1.67/5  rDev -36.7%

My recent criteria, in the last few weeks before leaving Germany for more tropical shores, has been to go to the local beer shop, and buy every beer priced at or above about euro 0.85-1.0 per 0.5L bottle. I go maybe twice a week, and in this way choose maybe 8-odd beers each time - thus perhaps 2-3 hopefully good beers to enjoy per night. This selection strategy narrows the field down to about the top 20% or so, of the (maybe) 300-500 beers on offer..

With the idea that expensive should somehow hopefully loosely equate to good, this exercise is intended to give me a last blast through the huge German and central European offering, before heading to Singapore, and being resigned to only getting expensive swill, or hideously expensive imported mediocrity.

This 'Black Abbot' beer was one that came into these criteria, but what a jaw-dropping surprise!

A: Black. But very very dark chestnut when held up to the light. 1/2" pale caramel head that held up well.

S: No discernible smell to me.

T: Truly jaw-dropping. I have never had a beer anywhere approaching this. It is like a cola (Pepsi?), with extra sugar added. It was my first beer of the evening, so I had a clear palette and yet there was nothing in it that would make me identify it as beer, or for that matter any alcoholic drink. If blind-folded, I'd guess sweetened Pepsi. Last guess? Sweetened Pepsi. That is how strange I found it.

M: Like Pepsi

O: Perhaps the most surprising, disappointing, and unpleasant beer I have ever encountered in my life. The 2nd half got poured down the drain, and I cannot even imagine if, never mind when, I might have ever done that before, that dear reader is how dreadful this relatively expensive 'beer' was for me.

1.66/5  rDev -37.1%

50cL bottle. Pours black with mahogany tinges; thick, fluffy taupe head. Strong chocolaty malt aromas with some metallic notes on the nose. Taste is incredibly sweet; very cola-like without much malt character. Slightly fruity finish. Medium bodied with very little carbonation. Way too sweet to be drinkable--actually poured this one down the drain after finishing half of it.

1.61/5  rDev -39%

Picked this up while on vacation in Berlin. Deep black pour with nice caramel colored head. Nose had a tinge of bacon to it but not really much else going on. The taste blew me away. I just reviewed a German Porter that was over the top sweet for the style but this was even worse! Almost all the German Schwarzbier I've had has been great. But this was straight up cola beer. I at least got half way through the Porter before having to pour it out, but this was almost immediately going into the sink. This was one of the worst German beers I've ever had!

1.25/5  rDev -52.7%

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot) from Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH