Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot) - Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH

Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot)Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot)

poor

Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH visit their website

Schwarzbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Troublebar

China

1.25/5  rDev -51.7%

06-30-2014 12:08:47 | More by Troublebar
beerdrifter

1.53/5  rDev -40.9%

Picked this up while on vacation in Berlin. Deep black pour with nice caramel colored head. Nose had a tinge of bacon to it but not really much else going on. The taste blew me away. I just reviewed a German Porter that was over the top sweet for the style but this was even worse! Almost all the German Schwarzbier I've had has been great. But this was straight up cola beer. I at least got half way through the Porter before having to pour it out, but this was almost immediately going into the sink. This was one of the worst German beers I've ever had!

04-21-2010 16:08:48 | More by beerdrifter
philipquarles

Connecticut

1.58/5  rDev -39%

50cL bottle. Pours black with mahogany tinges; thick, fluffy taupe head. Strong chocolaty malt aromas with some metallic notes on the nose. Taste is incredibly sweet; very cola-like without much malt character. Slightly fruity finish. Medium bodied with very little carbonation. Way too sweet to be drinkable--actually poured this one down the drain after finishing half of it.

04-02-2009 02:09:06 | More by philipquarles
JonnoWillsteed

Netherlands

1.6/5  rDev -38.2%

My recent criteria, in the last few weeks before leaving Germany for more tropical shores, has been to go to the local beer shop, and buy every beer priced at or above about euro 0.85-1.0 per 0.5L bottle. I go maybe twice a week, and in this way choose maybe 8-odd beers each time - thus perhaps 2-3 hopefully good beers to enjoy per night. This selection strategy narrows the field down to about the top 20% or so, of the (maybe) 300-500 beers on offer..

With the idea that expensive should somehow hopefully loosely equate to good, this exercise is intended to give me a last blast through the huge German and central European offering, before heading to Singapore, and being resigned to only getting expensive swill, or hideously expensive imported mediocrity.

This 'Black Abbot' beer was one that came into these criteria, but what a jaw-dropping surprise!

A: Black. But very very dark chestnut when held up to the light. 1/2" pale caramel head that held up well.

S: No discernible smell to me.

T: Truly jaw-dropping. I have never had a beer anywhere approaching this. It is like a cola (Pepsi?), with extra sugar added. It was my first beer of the evening, so I had a clear palette and yet there was nothing in it that would make me identify it as beer, or for that matter any alcoholic drink. If blind-folded, I'd guess sweetened Pepsi. Last guess? Sweetened Pepsi. That is how strange I found it.

M: Like Pepsi

O: Perhaps the most surprising, disappointing, and unpleasant beer I have ever encountered in my life. The 2nd half got poured down the drain, and I cannot even imagine if, never mind when, I might have ever done that before, that dear reader is how dreadful this relatively expensive 'beer' was for me.

04-25-2013 20:12:46 | More by JonnoWillsteed
ppoitras

1.65/5  rDev -36.3%

16.9oz bottle via Christmas gift. Thanks for the opportunity, Kris.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" brown head above the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head quickly fades down to an uneven layer of bubbles, with sticky light brown lacing. Aroma is sweet dark malts. Taste is the sweetest brew I have had in forever. Like dropping a sugarcube into a shot of schwartzbier and drinking that. Yuck. Mouthfeel and drinkability suffer the same fate. Will not be revisiting this, ever. I'd rather drink tasteless swill.

03-03-2006 20:56:03 | More by ppoitras
108Dragons

1.7/5  rDev -34.4%

Had high hopes for this after seeing how it was brewed in a monestary and all. I had a german hefe weisse just before this and couldn't believe the taste of this. Cleansed my palate and started over affirming the flat Dr. Pepper taste of this undrinkable "beer". Poured it down the drain.

04-17-2009 02:25:15 | More by 108Dragons
matjack85

1.75/5  rDev -32.4%

02-02-2013 21:28:16 | More by matjack85
tgbljb

1.75/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured a vitrually black color with moderate tannish head. Smell is enjoyable with nice dark fruit, rich chocolate and black coffee dlending together nicely. Slight molasses smell also present. Taste is absolutely horrible. One of the most disgusting tastes of any beer I have ever. It's akin to amixture of coke syrup, expresso, molasses and pure sugar. I am having trouble getting the taste out of my mouth. Horrible. Three sips is enough.

03-12-2006 00:32:25 | More by tgbljb
plaid75

1.9/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured a deep brown, almost black hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a smooth burnt grain with some coffee overtones. Some sweetness.

The flavor consisted of a full blown sugary sweetness. Tasted like cold coffee with milk and sugar substitute. Difficult to finish.

The mouthfeel was sickeningly sweet and milky.

This beer was difficult to finish. Not recommended.

05-27-2007 16:48:08 | More by plaid75
crossovert

1.93/5  rDev -25.5%

500ml bottle. Pours a dark pretty much black with some red notes. The head is large, foamy and off-white. As it recedes it leaves some pretty good lacing.

The smell is light, with a hint of cocoa. There is a subtle sweetness, and a bit of bread.

The taste is too sweet for my taste, I'm not sure what they were going for here, but it isn't that great.

The mouthfeel is rather thin.

07-13-2010 03:07:18 | More by crossovert
boddhitree

1.98/5  rDev -23.6%

Bad Neuzeller in eastern Germany was up next. I'd had their Schwarzes Abt (Black Abbot) before and wasn't impressed, but I thought on tap, maybe it's better. NOPE. It was still a 3.5% dark, syrupy, sickenly sweet malt mess and not much else. Damn, suckered in by their marketing again. A 2-.

05-21-2014 22:47:22 | More by boddhitree
tmitch75

Cool 500ml bottle so I thought I'd give it a try. Color is black as night, opaque, with a thin tan head.

Smell is predominantly roasty chocolate with coffee and a hint of anise. Pretty good so far.

Here's where it goes south. The taste is surprisingly sweet, cloying, with slight cocoa and vanilla. Just way too darn sweet.

Mouthfeel is syrupy with no carbonation at all. Quite disappointing.

I tried to fight through, and I might've made it if it was only 12oz. I tried to let it warm (partially because I couldn't bring myself to drink it), but it didn't help at all. This turned out to be a rare drain pour for me.

Tasted on 11/11/08.

11-13-2008 01:58:50 | More by tmitch75
scruffwhor

2.03/5  rDev -21.6%

Definetly a dark, even black beer. Not much head after pour and a little foam for most of the drink. The aroma is of light brown sugar, toffee and cheap caramel syrup. The taste has hints of roasted malt syrup with some Bullseye candy in the middle with some pecan torty flavors. All of these sweet flavors are heavily diluted with water. But still very cloying. This is beer feels like steeped grains with straight cain sugar added to the brew. Won't buy this beer again.

11-14-2006 05:38:21 | More by scruffwhor
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.08/5  rDev -19.7%

Utterly unilluminated umber, other than a thin rim of reddish gold where schwarzbier meets glass. The compact, two finger head is the color of malted milk, with an active, bubble-packed surface. The best part of an already attractive appearance is lace that looks like paint daubed on with a sponge.

The nose is much closer to the caramel-butterscotch-vanilla family than the chocolate-coffee family. Come to think of it, this beer smells exactly like the flavored coffees that some of my co-workers drink; the ones that don't smell or taste like coffee, but like the flavorings themselves. While it isn't really to style, it's a pretty good nose nevertheless.

Black Abbot is ghastly, sickeningly sweet beer. It tastes like sugar and watery molasses were added to a poor quality dark lager. It also tastes as artificially flavored as any beer in recent memory. Was any barley malt used? I can't appreciate it in the flavor or the mouthfeel.

Is this really beer? Seriously, it tastes like something that should be sold to flavor coffee. My first few sips contained a metallic tang on the finish that, thankfully, with time and warming, has faded. What's left is a thin, horrendously sweet, virtually carbonation-free stream of beer-like liquid. Gack.

I've had a few very good schwarzbiers in the past several months, so I was interested to see how this one stacks up. Without going into any further detail, my feelings should be obvious by now. The label states " ...the taste of paradise", but I beg to differ. More like the 7th Circle of Beer Hell.

10-09-2005 16:04:53 | More by BuckeyeNation
WYVYRN527

2.1/5  rDev -18.9%

The first time I tasted this brew I thought it was ok, but I think the other beers I had prior to it masked it's undrinkability. It pours a very dark brown with a foamy cream colored head that dissapears almost immediately. The nose was that of brown sugar and maple sap. Flavors were just way too off for this style. It was almost sugary-sweet, with hints of spice. The beer is almost as if it were ten-year old cola with alcohol. The mouthfeel was mediocre as well. Thin and diluted, I am glad the finish didn't stick around for very long. I found Black Abbot to be undrinkable. For me, it was a drain pour after a third of the bottle.

05-08-2009 08:10:13 | More by WYVYRN527
Evil_Pidde

Sweden

2.1/5  rDev -18.9%

A: Pour is black with a rich large tan compact head that slowly sets into awsome lacings.

S: Hard roasted dark malts, mostly dryness. Bitter hops. Some smoked ham and even some tobacco.

T: Very, very sweet - it feels like they put suger in it. Dark, hard roasted malts and even the smoke gets overpowered by the sweetness.

M: Sweet, sticky aftertaste. Body is rather thin and carbonation mild.

O: How to ruin a beer with to much sweetness...

07-07-2012 16:43:59 | More by Evil_Pidde
TheLongBeachBum

2.3/5  rDev -11.2%

Presentation: A distinctive looking black, gold and cream colored label sits affront the ubiquitous standard looking Teutonic 500ml brown glass bottle. A cream colored middle section has a dark blue triangle that has an image of a jovial looking Monk fondling a large golden stein. Brewed by “Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu” and listed as “Black Abbot Lager” and listed as a “Rare Black Beer from Germany’s Monastery Brewery Founded 1589…the taste of paradise”. Dated 14.07.04, which I presume (hope!) is the actual bottling date as this was advertised as a new brew at the store where I bought it.

Appearance: Very dark black body which had a murky look to it. Quickly after the pour the tan colored head relaxes to a thin covering, creamy looking but thin.

Nose: Sweet molasses and sweeter chocolate malts punctuate the aromas. Horribly sickly, I didn’t spend too long sniffing this one.

Taste: Light milk chocolate drenched in a sickly black treacle sweet middle. I struggled to get beyond this part of the Black Abbot to be honest and lost interest in even trying to explain this, but if I could sum it up quickly it would be something like “tastes like a Fizzy Sweet Supermarket brand Cola meets a Cold Cup of Coffee and 10 spoonfuls of Sugar”. Far too unbalanced & extremely heavy on the sweetness. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Nice enough but by now the Mouthfeel was the least of my concerns. The conditioning supports the brew nicely though but the sickly nature means that I couldn’t care less if it did because it’s like one of the sugary cheap and nasty Sodas which I love to hate.

Drinkability: I didn’t actually finish the whole bottle; I had some hot food calling my name from the Oven so I left the last third of the bottle, good job I guess as I really didn’t take to this one.

Overall: As with the other Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu brews, this cost me only $2.99 for yet another rarely seen Germanic offering from Hollingshead Delicatessen in Orange during a recent visit.

The Black Abbot is simply far too sweet for me, disappointing.

07-31-2005 03:28:27 | More by TheLongBeachBum
PBRstreetgang

2.33/5  rDev -10%

Pours an opaque ebony, with a one and half finger head of biege cream. Good retention that leaves sticky sheets of lace. Roasted barley nose with faint dextrins and coffee notes, and a bourbon or oak-aged aroma. The taste is very sweet upfront, like under-attentuated. Roasted and coffee flavors, with an overall artificial sweetener taste. Drying aftertaste with a charred flavor and faint herbal hops. Nearly flat carbonation and full body give a creamy mouthfeel, but allow the unbalanced sweetness to become cloying. Final swig is very residual despite the herbal hops pulling through. This starts out nice, but I can't say it was easy to finish.

06-13-2006 04:10:22 | More by PBRstreetgang
wisrarebeer

Wisconsin

2.33/5  rDev -10%

A: great tawny head, near opaque in color
S: somewhat light, a bit of caramel malt, slightly sweet
T: yuck!, sweet, cloying, thin, very disappointing at $4.99 per bottle and a monastic brewery, not at all what I expected.
M: thin, sweet, watery
D: not, somewhat diacetyl too

If this is their flagship beer (as written on the bottle), look out! One of the most disappointing German beers I've ever had.

08-26-2010 00:51:11 | More by wisrarebeer
beveragecaptain

2.35/5  rDev -9.3%

1 pint .9 ounce bottle. Black Abbot pours out a nearly black color with almost no head. The aroma is chocolatey and overly sweet smelling. Even the sweet smell didn't prepare me for the flavor. It tastes like a cup of sugar was dumped in this beer. Sweet and chocolatey with little carbonation. There's a little bit or roasted malty flavor, but it is dominated by the sugary flavor. The finish is the worst part - it leaves a taste in your mouth like you ate a spoonful of sugar. This is a real disappointment. I'm surprised, since their other Schwarzbier (Badebier) is pretty good.

02-13-2006 00:38:59 | More by beveragecaptain
Bung

2.4/5  rDev -7.3%

500ml. Pretty black, little brown edges. A thin white layer.

Aroma has light roast, molasses. Some anise and licorice maybe.

Taste- it is sweet. I get a ton of molasses. Some off cardboard flavors. Finishes with sweet molasses, brown and candy sugar. Bottom line, sweet.

Thinner bodied, the sweetness doesn't thicken it up. Not an easy brew to put down in spite of the low abv.

Maybe for getting a cola drinker into craft.

02-27-2011 19:14:00 | More by Bung
brewdlyhooked13

2.42/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance - pours a cola black with brownish edge hues. Minimal head despite the rough pour. Light mocha head with good striped lacing.

Aroma - light crackery grain, some buttery diacetyl. After it settles it has a very butterscotchy nose. Okay, but is that how a schwarz should smell?

Taste - sweet malt, very sweet. Roasted grain, light diacetyl, coffee with sugar - make that sugars... No hop presence, which is desperately needed to take some of the edge off the overdone sweetness. Missed opportunity, I think with one-third the sugar this beer would contend.

Mouthfeel - thin and with low carbonation. My first thought is that this beer was flat, but I think it's where they intended.

Drinkability - way too sweet for me to session, though I reckon that provides some additional sustenance during a fast.

12-12-2007 19:59:15 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

Picked up a single at Woodman's East here in Madison. Their Bathbeer was decent, thought I'd give this one a go.

Pour was pretty good looking, dark black with a finger of khaki head and some spotty lacing. Smell is pungent, sweet chocolate and coffee malts, with some mustiness. Taste is where this one gets lost, real lost. As some have aptly stated before, flavors of flat diet soda and old coffee with afterficial sweetener dominate here, very cloying. I actually shuddered with the first few sips. I don't know if I'll be able to finish this one, put the rest in the freezer as it was getting worse as it warmed and I'm not one to waste a brew, no matter how bad. A real disappointment here as I've come to appreciate a good schwarzbier. Sad. Anyway, I'd say if you're into day-old diet pepsi off-flavors in your beer, this is right up your alley. Otherwise steer clear, towards something like Sprecher's Black Bavarian, a black diamond in the rough.

09-15-2005 04:39:30 | More by Golden2wenty1
rredshift

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

09-09-2013 14:50:20 | More by rredshift
tavernjef

2.55/5  rDev -1.5%

Ink black with a dark brown coating. Very small yet firmly set off-brownish cap sits on top quickly disappearing to nothing but a very tiny collaring. Lacing is thin and close to minimal amounts with some broken blobs and sporatic dotting.

Aroma is darkly sweet of flat root beer and old molasses. Very sweet waftyness about it. Sugary chocolate cream pie filling makes an appearance quickly after it sits.

Wow. This is way too sweet. For a schwarzbier this is all wrong in my book. Awefully sweet with flat root beer soda sugar mixing with flat, old molasses, black licorice candy without its spice, silky chocolate milk, and Hostess cup cake toppings. Slightly tangy under its sweetness along with a sliver of roast. But all towering sweet, no doubt about it. Yuk.

Feel is syrupy and a bit heavy with a slick easy texture that seems more like very flat soda. Not sure where to begin or where to end with all the things wrong with this beer. I'm wondering if there's some off bottleing or old bottles or what?

08-05-2005 02:26:59 | More by tavernjef
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot) from Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH