Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot) - Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH

Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot)Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot)

poor

Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH visit their website
Germany

Schwarzbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.08/5  rDev -19.7%

Utterly unilluminated umber, other than a thin rim of reddish gold where schwarzbier meets glass. The compact, two finger head is the color of malted milk, with an active, bubble-packed surface. The best part of an already attractive appearance is lace that looks like paint daubed on with a sponge.

The nose is much closer to the caramel-butterscotch-vanilla family than the chocolate-coffee family. Come to think of it, this beer smells exactly like the flavored coffees that some of my co-workers drink; the ones that don't smell or taste like coffee, but like the flavorings themselves. While it isn't really to style, it's a pretty good nose nevertheless.

Black Abbot is ghastly, sickeningly sweet beer. It tastes like sugar and watery molasses were added to a poor quality dark lager. It also tastes as artificially flavored as any beer in recent memory. Was any barley malt used? I can't appreciate it in the flavor or the mouthfeel.

Is this really beer? Seriously, it tastes like something that should be sold to flavor coffee. My first few sips contained a metallic tang on the finish that, thankfully, with time and warming, has faded. What's left is a thin, horrendously sweet, virtually carbonation-free stream of beer-like liquid. Gack.

I've had a few very good schwarzbiers in the past several months, so I was interested to see how this one stacks up. Without going into any further detail, my feelings should be obvious by now. The label states " ...the taste of paradise", but I beg to differ. More like the 7th Circle of Beer Hell.

10-09-2005 16:04:53 | More by BuckeyeNation
Slatetank

3.75/5  rDev +44.8%

05-25-2013 14:47:22 | More by Slatetank
WesWes

4.72/5  rDev +82.2%

The beer pours a deep dark black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has a rich malty scent that boasts of crystal and roasted malts. It's sweet with a fruity yeast aroma. It's creamy with a chocolate feel. The taste is perfect. It is smooth and rich with a sweet burnt toffee flavor. It goes down very easy and finishes creamy with a fruity yeast character. The mouthfeel is great. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an exceptional beer. It is by far the best I've ever had tried of this style. I love everything about it; a good drinker. It's 7% abv., but you would never know it.

08-02-2005 02:04:47 | More by WesWes
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.78/5  rDev +7.3%

500ml Bottle poured into a strange looking mini-stemmed goblet glass (badged by the brewery) in ‘Aufsturz’, Berlin.

This is a true ‘schwarzer’ beer, it is black: well almost anyway. Very dark brown really: with a lighter brown head that produces good lacing as the beer level falls.

The smell and tastes are very similar: sweet. Malty molasses dominate both with a nut chocolate bar feel. The bodyfeel was OK, even with only 3.9%ABV it held together well and seemed rich and almost creamy in texture.

Overall the beer is just too sweet and although I enjoyed the first half of the bottle it was a chore to finish it: in fact I passed it around the table for my wife and two friends to try, sickly sweet was mentioned in their thoughts.

02-16-2012 12:51:01 | More by BlackHaddock
ppoitras

1.65/5  rDev -36.3%

16.9oz bottle via Christmas gift. Thanks for the opportunity, Kris.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" brown head above the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head quickly fades down to an uneven layer of bubbles, with sticky light brown lacing. Aroma is sweet dark malts. Taste is the sweetest brew I have had in forever. Like dropping a sugarcube into a shot of schwartzbier and drinking that. Yuck. Mouthfeel and drinkability suffer the same fate. Will not be revisiting this, ever. I'd rather drink tasteless swill.

03-03-2006 20:56:03 | More by ppoitras
plaid75

1.9/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured a deep brown, almost black hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a smooth burnt grain with some coffee overtones. Some sweetness.

The flavor consisted of a full blown sugary sweetness. Tasted like cold coffee with milk and sugar substitute. Difficult to finish.

The mouthfeel was sickeningly sweet and milky.

This beer was difficult to finish. Not recommended.

05-27-2007 16:48:08 | More by plaid75
chinchill

South Carolina

2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

16.9 oz bottle served in pint glass

A: nearly opaque, but rather brown for style. Small, short-lived head.

S: slightly sweet, caramel malt; not bad, but very light

T: sweet! Probably the sweetest beer I've ever had. Think, beer soda. Certainly way, way sweeter than is to be expected for a schwarzbier. Other flavor components in there, but the sweetness is just overpowering. I'm drinking this rather cold; if it warms up it is likely to taste even sweeter.

M: too thin and watery; low carbonation.

O - very disappointing beer from a monastic brewery. "ultimate German dark beer" (on label) ... not even close. {The ultimate would be the black beer from the Bavarian Weltenburg Brewery, in my experience).

04-01-2011 00:47:54 | More by chinchill
scruffwhor

2.03/5  rDev -21.6%

Definetly a dark, even black beer. Not much head after pour and a little foam for most of the drink. The aroma is of light brown sugar, toffee and cheap caramel syrup. The taste has hints of roasted malt syrup with some Bullseye candy in the middle with some pecan torty flavors. All of these sweet flavors are heavily diluted with water. But still very cloying. This is beer feels like steeped grains with straight cain sugar added to the brew. Won't buy this beer again.

11-14-2006 05:38:21 | More by scruffwhor
Evil_Pidde

Sweden

2.1/5  rDev -18.9%

A: Pour is black with a rich large tan compact head that slowly sets into awsome lacings.

S: Hard roasted dark malts, mostly dryness. Bitter hops. Some smoked ham and even some tobacco.

T: Very, very sweet - it feels like they put suger in it. Dark, hard roasted malts and even the smoke gets overpowered by the sweetness.

M: Sweet, sticky aftertaste. Body is rather thin and carbonation mild.

O: How to ruin a beer with to much sweetness...

07-07-2012 16:43:59 | More by Evil_Pidde
tavernjef

2.55/5  rDev -1.5%

Ink black with a dark brown coating. Very small yet firmly set off-brownish cap sits on top quickly disappearing to nothing but a very tiny collaring. Lacing is thin and close to minimal amounts with some broken blobs and sporatic dotting.

Aroma is darkly sweet of flat root beer and old molasses. Very sweet waftyness about it. Sugary chocolate cream pie filling makes an appearance quickly after it sits.

Wow. This is way too sweet. For a schwarzbier this is all wrong in my book. Awefully sweet with flat root beer soda sugar mixing with flat, old molasses, black licorice candy without its spice, silky chocolate milk, and Hostess cup cake toppings. Slightly tangy under its sweetness along with a sliver of roast. But all towering sweet, no doubt about it. Yuk.

Feel is syrupy and a bit heavy with a slick easy texture that seems more like very flat soda. Not sure where to begin or where to end with all the things wrong with this beer. I'm wondering if there's some off bottleing or old bottles or what?

08-05-2005 02:26:59 | More by tavernjef
TheLongBeachBum

2.3/5  rDev -11.2%

Presentation: A distinctive looking black, gold and cream colored label sits affront the ubiquitous standard looking Teutonic 500ml brown glass bottle. A cream colored middle section has a dark blue triangle that has an image of a jovial looking Monk fondling a large golden stein. Brewed by “Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu” and listed as “Black Abbot Lager” and listed as a “Rare Black Beer from Germany’s Monastery Brewery Founded 1589…the taste of paradise”. Dated 14.07.04, which I presume (hope!) is the actual bottling date as this was advertised as a new brew at the store where I bought it.

Appearance: Very dark black body which had a murky look to it. Quickly after the pour the tan colored head relaxes to a thin covering, creamy looking but thin.

Nose: Sweet molasses and sweeter chocolate malts punctuate the aromas. Horribly sickly, I didn’t spend too long sniffing this one.

Taste: Light milk chocolate drenched in a sickly black treacle sweet middle. I struggled to get beyond this part of the Black Abbot to be honest and lost interest in even trying to explain this, but if I could sum it up quickly it would be something like “tastes like a Fizzy Sweet Supermarket brand Cola meets a Cold Cup of Coffee and 10 spoonfuls of Sugar”. Far too unbalanced & extremely heavy on the sweetness. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Nice enough but by now the Mouthfeel was the least of my concerns. The conditioning supports the brew nicely though but the sickly nature means that I couldn’t care less if it did because it’s like one of the sugary cheap and nasty Sodas which I love to hate.

Drinkability: I didn’t actually finish the whole bottle; I had some hot food calling my name from the Oven so I left the last third of the bottle, good job I guess as I really didn’t take to this one.

Overall: As with the other Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu brews, this cost me only $2.99 for yet another rarely seen Germanic offering from Hollingshead Delicatessen in Orange during a recent visit.

The Black Abbot is simply far too sweet for me, disappointing.

07-31-2005 03:28:27 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Vancer

3.93/5  rDev +51.7%

Found this one thru Beergeek.com @ $3.29 for the 500ml. Pleasant find, quite a nice pour, with a black body topped with a brunette frothy head. Biggest disappointment was the aroma – just some subtle hints of chocolate malts. Taste improved dramatically; earthy, leathery, malty with a touch of anise. Medium bodied & rich throughout. Fairly sweet finish, it hides the 7% well. Very tasty – makes a good summer drink or for dessert.

Hey, the back bottle label notes: “During a fast, nothing will sustain you like Black Abbot”. Well, there ya go!

07-13-2005 12:51:17 | More by Vancer
tgbljb

1.75/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured a vitrually black color with moderate tannish head. Smell is enjoyable with nice dark fruit, rich chocolate and black coffee dlending together nicely. Slight molasses smell also present. Taste is absolutely horrible. One of the most disgusting tastes of any beer I have ever. It's akin to amixture of coke syrup, expresso, molasses and pure sugar. I am having trouble getting the taste out of my mouth. Horrible. Three sips is enough.

03-12-2006 00:32:25 | More by tgbljb
brewdlyhooked13

2.42/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance - pours a cola black with brownish edge hues. Minimal head despite the rough pour. Light mocha head with good striped lacing.

Aroma - light crackery grain, some buttery diacetyl. After it settles it has a very butterscotchy nose. Okay, but is that how a schwarz should smell?

Taste - sweet malt, very sweet. Roasted grain, light diacetyl, coffee with sugar - make that sugars... No hop presence, which is desperately needed to take some of the edge off the overdone sweetness. Missed opportunity, I think with one-third the sugar this beer would contend.

Mouthfeel - thin and with low carbonation. My first thought is that this beer was flat, but I think it's where they intended.

Drinkability - way too sweet for me to session, though I reckon that provides some additional sustenance during a fast.

12-12-2007 19:59:15 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Bung

2.4/5  rDev -7.3%

500ml. Pretty black, little brown edges. A thin white layer.

Aroma has light roast, molasses. Some anise and licorice maybe.

Taste- it is sweet. I get a ton of molasses. Some off cardboard flavors. Finishes with sweet molasses, brown and candy sugar. Bottom line, sweet.

Thinner bodied, the sweetness doesn't thicken it up. Not an easy brew to put down in spite of the low abv.

Maybe for getting a cola drinker into craft.

02-27-2011 19:14:00 | More by Bung
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.6/5  rDev +77.6%

Thanks to clvand0 for sharing this. Its hard to believe that I'm the first review. It pours a nice black color with a finger of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is divine, with big roasties, chocolate and a slight coffee hint. I'm excited to taste it. The flavor is almost like milk chocolate. Wow. Sweet and chocolatey and so easy drinking. This is a treat. The feel is moderate to thick, with a very light carb. I could sit and drink this beer all night. Very easily.

02-22-2005 01:26:14 | More by kmpitz2
matjack85

1.75/5  rDev -32.4%

02-02-2013 21:28:16 | More by matjack85
clvand0

Kentucky

4.65/5  rDev +79.5%

I brought this one back with me from a trip to Tennessee, but they now carry it in my area. Oh well. Pours a very dark color with a small head that doesn't hang around too long, but leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma is comprised of a lot of silky chocolate and roasted malts, slightly sweet. As kmpitz2 said, the flavor is very much like milk chocolate. Silky smooth and the body is right on. Drinkability is great. I'll be having this one again.

02-24-2005 19:41:13 | More by clvand0
crossovert

1.93/5  rDev -25.5%

500ml bottle. Pours a dark pretty much black with some red notes. The head is large, foamy and off-white. As it recedes it leaves some pretty good lacing.

The smell is light, with a hint of cocoa. There is a subtle sweetness, and a bit of bread.

The taste is too sweet for my taste, I'm not sure what they were going for here, but it isn't that great.

The mouthfeel is rather thin.

07-13-2010 03:07:18 | More by crossovert
wisrarebeer

Wisconsin

2.33/5  rDev -10%

A: great tawny head, near opaque in color
S: somewhat light, a bit of caramel malt, slightly sweet
T: yuck!, sweet, cloying, thin, very disappointing at $4.99 per bottle and a monastic brewery, not at all what I expected.
M: thin, sweet, watery
D: not, somewhat diacetyl too

If this is their flagship beer (as written on the bottle), look out! One of the most disappointing German beers I've ever had.

08-26-2010 00:51:11 | More by wisrarebeer
beerdrifter

Germany

1.53/5  rDev -40.9%

Picked this up while on vacation in Berlin. Deep black pour with nice caramel colored head. Nose had a tinge of bacon to it but not really much else going on. The taste blew me away. I just reviewed a German Porter that was over the top sweet for the style but this was even worse! Almost all the German Schwarzbier I've had has been great. But this was straight up cola beer. I at least got half way through the Porter before having to pour it out, but this was almost immediately going into the sink. This was one of the worst German beers I've ever had!

04-21-2010 16:08:48 | More by beerdrifter
chilidog

2.65/5  rDev +2.3%

Some good reviews below; I agree with most of them.
I bought thisone for the "New Beer Sunday" posts for a fair 2.99.
It poured ok, very dark, black as the name implies. The tan head was small but stable as it formed a thin film accross the top. Carbonation was moderate for this seemed to be a fair bodied beer. I thought by its appearance that it would be thick and heavy. I thought the mouthfeel had alittle water to it.
The aroma was of bakers chocolate and licorice. The taste was and mouthfeel go hand in hand, found it hard to take it all in. Very syrup like. Bakers chocolate, licorice, malasses, candied sugar and yes root-beer soda syrup. I don't think even my dentist would like me drinking this beer everyday. Far to sweet, but not raw sugar, in a bakers kind of way.
I had trouble taking in the whole bottle. It didn't get any better as it warmed. I used the last third as I was cooking Sunday dinner. I forget what we had, but in the pot it went. cheers.
Two weeks from taste to type.

09-04-2005 13:03:02 | More by chilidog
beveragecaptain

2.35/5  rDev -9.3%

1 pint .9 ounce bottle. Black Abbot pours out a nearly black color with almost no head. The aroma is chocolatey and overly sweet smelling. Even the sweet smell didn't prepare me for the flavor. It tastes like a cup of sugar was dumped in this beer. Sweet and chocolatey with little carbonation. There's a little bit or roasted malty flavor, but it is dominated by the sugary flavor. The finish is the worst part - it leaves a taste in your mouth like you ate a spoonful of sugar. This is a real disappointment. I'm surprised, since their other Schwarzbier (Badebier) is pretty good.

02-13-2006 00:38:59 | More by beveragecaptain
WYVYRN527

2.1/5  rDev -18.9%

The first time I tasted this brew I thought it was ok, but I think the other beers I had prior to it masked it's undrinkability. It pours a very dark brown with a foamy cream colored head that dissapears almost immediately. The nose was that of brown sugar and maple sap. Flavors were just way too off for this style. It was almost sugary-sweet, with hints of spice. The beer is almost as if it were ten-year old cola with alcohol. The mouthfeel was mediocre as well. Thin and diluted, I am glad the finish didn't stick around for very long. I found Black Abbot to be undrinkable. For me, it was a drain pour after a third of the bottle.

05-08-2009 08:10:13 | More by WYVYRN527
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

Picked up a single at Woodman's East here in Madison. Their Bathbeer was decent, thought I'd give this one a go.

Pour was pretty good looking, dark black with a finger of khaki head and some spotty lacing. Smell is pungent, sweet chocolate and coffee malts, with some mustiness. Taste is where this one gets lost, real lost. As some have aptly stated before, flavors of flat diet soda and old coffee with afterficial sweetener dominate here, very cloying. I actually shuddered with the first few sips. I don't know if I'll be able to finish this one, put the rest in the freezer as it was getting worse as it warmed and I'm not one to waste a brew, no matter how bad. A real disappointment here as I've come to appreciate a good schwarzbier. Sad. Anyway, I'd say if you're into day-old diet pepsi off-flavors in your beer, this is right up your alley. Otherwise steer clear, towards something like Sprecher's Black Bavarian, a black diamond in the rough.

09-15-2005 04:39:30 | More by Golden2wenty1
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot) from Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH