2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot) - Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH

Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot)Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot)

poor

Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH visit their website

Schwarzbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-22-2005)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 39 | Reviews: 35 | Show All Ratings:
scruffwhor

2.03/5  rDev -23.1%

Definetly a dark, even black beer. Not much head after pour and a little foam for most of the drink. The aroma is of light brown sugar, toffee and cheap caramel syrup. The taste has hints of roasted malt syrup with some Bullseye candy in the middle with some pecan torty flavors. All of these sweet flavors are heavily diluted with water. But still very cloying. This is beer feels like steeped grains with straight cain sugar added to the brew. Won't buy this beer again.

11-14-2006 05:38:21 | More by scruffwhor
tmitch75

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Cool 500ml bottle so I thought I'd give it a try. Color is black as night, opaque, with a thin tan head.

Smell is predominantly roasty chocolate with coffee and a hint of anise. Pretty good so far.

Here's where it goes south. The taste is surprisingly sweet, cloying, with slight cocoa and vanilla. Just way too darn sweet.

Mouthfeel is syrupy with no carbonation at all. Quite disappointing.

I tried to fight through, and I might've made it if it was only 12oz. I tried to let it warm (partially because I couldn't bring myself to drink it), but it didn't help at all. This turned out to be a rare drain pour for me.

Tasted on 11/11/08.

11-13-2008 01:58:50 | More by tmitch75
crossovert

1.93/5  rDev -26.9%

500ml bottle. Pours a dark pretty much black with some red notes. The head is large, foamy and off-white. As it recedes it leaves some pretty good lacing.

The smell is light, with a hint of cocoa. There is a subtle sweetness, and a bit of bread.

The taste is too sweet for my taste, I'm not sure what they were going for here, but it isn't that great.

The mouthfeel is rather thin.

07-13-2010 03:07:18 | More by crossovert
plaid75

1.9/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a deep brown, almost black hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a smooth burnt grain with some coffee overtones. Some sweetness.

The flavor consisted of a full blown sugary sweetness. Tasted like cold coffee with milk and sugar substitute. Difficult to finish.

The mouthfeel was sickeningly sweet and milky.

This beer was difficult to finish. Not recommended.

05-27-2007 16:48:08 | More by plaid75
tgbljb

1.75/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured a vitrually black color with moderate tannish head. Smell is enjoyable with nice dark fruit, rich chocolate and black coffee dlending together nicely. Slight molasses smell also present. Taste is absolutely horrible. One of the most disgusting tastes of any beer I have ever. It's akin to amixture of coke syrup, expresso, molasses and pure sugar. I am having trouble getting the taste out of my mouth. Horrible. Three sips is enough.

03-12-2006 00:32:25 | More by tgbljb
108Dragons

1.7/5  rDev -35.6%

Had high hopes for this after seeing how it was brewed in a monestary and all. I had a german hefe weisse just before this and couldn't believe the taste of this. Cleansed my palate and started over affirming the flat Dr. Pepper taste of this undrinkable "beer". Poured it down the drain.

04-17-2009 02:25:15 | More by 108Dragons
ppoitras

1.65/5  rDev -37.5%

16.9oz bottle via Christmas gift. Thanks for the opportunity, Kris.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" brown head above the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head quickly fades down to an uneven layer of bubbles, with sticky light brown lacing. Aroma is sweet dark malts. Taste is the sweetest brew I have had in forever. Like dropping a sugarcube into a shot of schwartzbier and drinking that. Yuck. Mouthfeel and drinkability suffer the same fate. Will not be revisiting this, ever. I'd rather drink tasteless swill.

03-03-2006 20:56:03 | More by ppoitras
JonnoWillsteed

1.6/5  rDev -39.4%

My recent criteria, in the last few weeks before leaving Germany for more tropical shores, has been to go to the local beer shop, and buy every beer priced at or above about euro 0.85-1.0 per 0.5L bottle. I go maybe twice a week, and in this way choose maybe 8-odd beers each time - thus perhaps 2-3 hopefully good beers to enjoy per night. This selection strategy narrows the field down to about the top 20% or so, of the (maybe) 300-500 beers on offer..

With the idea that expensive should somehow hopefully loosely equate to good, this exercise is intended to give me a last blast through the huge German and central European offering, before heading to Singapore, and being resigned to only getting expensive swill, or hideously expensive imported mediocrity.

This 'Black Abbot' beer was one that came into these criteria, but what a jaw-dropping surprise!

A: Black. But very very dark chestnut when held up to the light. 1/2" pale caramel head that held up well.

S: No discernible smell to me.

T: Truly jaw-dropping. I have never had a beer anywhere approaching this. It is like a cola (Pepsi?), with extra sugar added. It was my first beer of the evening, so I had a clear palette and yet there was nothing in it that would make me identify it as beer, or for that matter any alcoholic drink. If blind-folded, I'd guess sweetened Pepsi. Last guess? Sweetened Pepsi. That is how strange I found it.

M: Like Pepsi

O: Perhaps the most surprising, disappointing, and unpleasant beer I have ever encountered in my life. The 2nd half got poured down the drain, and I cannot even imagine if, never mind when, I might have ever done that before, that dear reader is how dreadful this relatively expensive 'beer' was for me.

04-25-2013 20:12:46 | More by JonnoWillsteed
philipquarles

Connecticut

1.58/5  rDev -40.2%

50cL bottle. Pours black with mahogany tinges; thick, fluffy taupe head. Strong chocolaty malt aromas with some metallic notes on the nose. Taste is incredibly sweet; very cola-like without much malt character. Slightly fruity finish. Medium bodied with very little carbonation. Way too sweet to be drinkable--actually poured this one down the drain after finishing half of it.

04-02-2009 02:09:06 | More by philipquarles
beerdrifter

1.53/5  rDev -42%

Picked this up while on vacation in Berlin. Deep black pour with nice caramel colored head. Nose had a tinge of bacon to it but not really much else going on. The taste blew me away. I just reviewed a German Porter that was over the top sweet for the style but this was even worse! Almost all the German Schwarzbier I've had has been great. But this was straight up cola beer. I at least got half way through the Porter before having to pour it out, but this was almost immediately going into the sink. This was one of the worst German beers I've ever had!

04-21-2010 16:08:48 | More by beerdrifter
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Neuzeller Kloster-Bräu Schwarzer Abt (Black Abbot) from Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle GmbH