Redemption - Russian River Brewing Company

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.15% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 05-09-2004

Reviews: 548 | Hads: 1,545
4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

One of the best beers ever? I'm not sure. One of my favorite beers right now? Definitely. I want to say I've had this beer 50 times (on tap and in the bottle) and it's finally time I give it a review.

Redemption pours a bright blond color with a nice white head. It is super effervescent during the pour, which opens an awesome bouquet of light malt and Belgian yeast. The taste is similar to the nose, but there is a certain peanut butter/nutty flavor that I've always gotten from this beer. It's a flavor I almost always get from the 500 yeast and I absolutely love it! The light body and mouthfeel make this beer unbelievably drinkable! I hate that this beer is no longer in 750's :(.

Anyway, what a beer. It'll be one of my favorites for the foreseeable future. (769 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Big thanks to G311 for the brew. 375ml/#008

A - Pours a bright straw yellow, slightly hazed, and is capped with a big frothy white head; massive lacing ensues. Stellar looking.

S - The nose is crisp, bready, sweet and fruity; it is like a peach pie or apple cobbler, sans cinnamon. There is a pleasant floral quality as well. I am very impressed. As it airs out, the melange gets more splendiferous, including notes of melon, green cardamom, and custard-apple. Awesome.

T - The flavor is everything that was promised by the nose; it is deliciously fruity, bready and crisp, though the sweetness is put in check by some mellow herbal hops. Fruity notes range from luscious peach, strawberry and aromatic pear, to underripe lychee, plantain and green banana. This is one of the most tropically fruity profiles I've encountered (for an unfruited brew) and also quite unusual in its specific palate.

M - Beautiful feel; creamy, softly effervescent, very refreshing.

D - Amazing; one of the best beers I've had from Russian River, and a good reminder of why RR is considered to be a world-class brewery (and they totally deserve the acclaim.) This is not supposed to be a stunner, is it? No pre-release hype clamoring for a BPA? Shame, with a beer this good there should be. (1,275 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

A beautiful pour that is shimmering golden and quite clear. Great steady carbonation and a creamy white head that has unbelievable retention. It remains through the entire 750ml bottle and leaves sticky lacing down the glass. A refreshing smell that is light and airy but very complex. Soft and sweet fruits. Pear, orange, green apple, lemon. A light bready yeast and just a slight sour tinge in the end. Taste is excellent. Some sour up front along with the fruit. Slightly earthy as well with the slightest hint of funkiness and spice. Light grain and bread with a drying finish. In the mouth it's crisp and extremely smooth. A nice dryness in the finish with a tingle on the tongue, perfect carbonation. This is a memorable beer for sure. One that I wish I had on hand at all times. Complex, refreshing, and very approachable. I owe younger35 a big, big thank you for sending this as an extra many moons ago. I didn't know what to expect but what I got was pretty amazing to say the least. One of my favorite brews in recent and long term memory. (1,049 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Got this bottle in a trade with Bradford. Poured a golden yellow color with a nice smell of citrus and pine. It also had a faint hops smell. Poured a nice two finger head into an oversized tulip glass. The taste of this beer was nothing short of amazing. Light, crisp floral, fruity, hoppy and bubbly. This beer takes the best of any golden belgian ale I have consumed and morphed it into one amazing beer. The mouthfeel was complex and hit every tastebud with a different taste.

I would drink this every day if it were available. (534 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

A - Hazy golden pour accompanied by a finger of white head and sticky lacing. Looks sooo lively and appetizing.

S - Bananas, Floral, Belgiany, Citrus.

T - Light floral and yeast notes. Lightly sweet in the middle ends lemony and tangy. A very juicy beer, a lemon rind finish.

M - Wonderful mouthfeel, lively carbonation, excellent bottle fermentation characteristics.

D - So much flavor for a beer with a lower ABV. A lovely highly sessionable beer. (453 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Batch 002, aged in my cellar for a while. I'm a big fan of all the Russian River beers and this was no exception. In fact I think this is drinking so well right now that I really think its one of my favorite of theirs. Pours a hazy golden with a nice big head, but not overcarbonated at all. Settles to a medium cap that sticks around. Aromas of floral honey, as well as lemon, and orange blossoms. The barest hint of sour on the finish. Beautifully integrated nose. It just keeps getting better. The taste is slightly sour up front, followed by beautiful lemon, orange and floral flavors. Amazingly integrated as a harmonious whole, it turns slightly sweet on the end, and a tinge of bitterness right at the very finish. The mouthfeel has just enough carbonation. It's crisp and delicious. Another great beer from Russian River. (829 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Batch 007
Drinking right now, from a goblet

Appearance- Pours like a champagne, only darker in color; a peachy orange tone. Tiny bubbles come up from the center of the glass. Fizzy, one-inch white head quickly dissolves to about a third-inch frothy head with milky swirls.

Smell- Musky, sweet Belgian smell. Faint smell of apple juice and wheat.

Taste- Woody, earthy, a little more bitter than sweet.

Mouthfeel- Dry and moderately spicy, mild chalky feeling. Sparkling bubbles burn the tip of your tongue in a pleasant way.

Drinkability- Very light and thirst quenching. I find myself gulping more than sipping. (616 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Picked up a couple bottles of this about a eightish months ago when I visited Russian River. I went at absolutely the worst time of the year as Younger was getting tapped in two days and they cashed Elder literally hours before I showed. Karma sucks. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute. Batch 004.

Appearance- Pours a super light straw colored yellow with a giant two finger bright white head. The head really never recedes maintaining a quarter inch cap that leaves ring after ring of sticky lacing.
Smell- Bright and deceivingly fruity as green apple and pear sting my nose slightly. A bit dirty with some "funk" notes but I definitely wouldn't describe this nose as funky. More of a slight mustiness like that after too much rain. Slightly bready as well under those little yeasties.
Taste- Starts with the slightest of pale malt sweetness as the soft doughy grains lead the way. A bit of lightly fruity bitterness shows with hints of pears and earthy hops. The light graininess and just a tinge of yeast make this exactly what I was hoping it would be. Finishes with a slight lingering toffee sweetness and light citric bite.
Mouthfeel- Very light and crisp with a clean feel and fairly good carbonation with a soft dry finish.
Drinkability- My favorite of any of the brews that I've had so far from Russian River has been Temptation. It's a barrel aged Blonde Ale and absolutely delicious. This is a simpler version of that and I don't want to say I like it better, but it's exactly what I was hoping for. I love the drinkability and how well crafted and "simple" this brew is (I use simple as a description of the deliciousness, I know this brew is far from simple to make). A ridiculously awesome brew that I wish I would have grabbed a case more of. (1,764 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

Corked and caged Batch 006. Picked up by FooFaa in Cali for the low, low price of $7.99!

A-Bright, clear, golden honey with a medium, bright white head that reduced to a thin cap and left light rings of lace.

S-A delightful amalgamation of fruit with notes of honeydew, Granny Smith apple, peach, kiwi fruit and Bartlet pear all sprinkled with a spicy zing of white pepper.

T-A slightly more aggressive, spicy bite of the palate than in the aroma. The fruit flavour is absolutely delectable and while it has a noticeable tartness it simply adds to the overall experience. To quite on of my most favorite movies---"The snozberries taste like snozberries!"

M-Lighter than light! This beer is so light it actually dances across my palate before falling into my gullet. Sharp and crisp with a ton of lingering twang....outstanding.

D-A damn near perfect session "wild" ale, absolutely! This stuff is simply amazing! So light yet so flavourfull this brew could not get much better. Another exquisite concoction from the mind of Vinnie Cilurzo. (1,044 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +17%

Bottle (Courtesy of Jimbowood): Poured slightly hazy yellowish ale with a super huge foamy head with great retention. Perfect aroma of Brett is very nice with dry hops and some floral malt. Taste is mildly sour at first with some nice floral peak and ends with a dry finish. Body is quite full which kind of surprise me because of the low ABV I was expecting some light beer. Overall, this is a truly wonderful beer and I very much appreciated the fact that even though the alcohol is low enough the taste and body are reasonably strong. (537 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

SMELL: Bright earthy notes. Sweetly pungent citrus, particularly lemon rind with faint traces of funkiness. Similar to Saison spices.

TASTE: Starts off unassumingly dry and flat then flavor seems to build in the BACK of your palate slowly billowing forward as a the beer's unexpectedly thick mouthfeel lingers - causing multiple swallows. All the components are expertly balanced, yet strikingly separated through the wonderfully extended tasting process. The flavor is pronounced, but not overwhelming and still plays perfectly with the carbonation and slight tartness. That tanginess makes it exciting and is probably most defined by a grapefruit-like citrus flavor. (669 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

750ml bottle, Batch 001, Sampled January 2006
This beer is already explosively carbonated; I turned my eyes for a split second after popping the cork and the bottle foamed up and disgorged about a third of its contents onto my counter & floor (oh well the dogs enjoyed the mess). The beer pours a hazy gold color (with a definite contribution from the sediment kicked up from the bottom of the bottle) and is topped by a quickly disappearing, initially four-finger thick, pale white head. The Brettanomyces has already set in to the aromatics as well; musty notes are mixed with a sharp light acidity and some notes of urea even. It is almost like a musty cotton ball, or at least what I would imagine one smelling like. I get some notes of lemon zest, hints of ginger and something like the aroma of grains of paradise. The Brett has really added quit a bit to the nose. I really like the nose on this one.

The beer is sharp, which is a combination of the prickly carbonation and a light lemon like acidity. The Brettanomyces character, while definitely evident, is not as pronounced as it is in the nose. The Brett adds some light mustiness; it almost evokes a bit of cotton mouth astringency. The beer is quite light, but has oodles of character. The light palate in combination with the lemon-like notes almost make this refreshing, and definitely so for a beer.

I am a sucker for these light, yet full flavored, Belgian-inspired beers. Especially with a touch of Brett; in fact the Brett really makes this beer. I don't need all that boozy alcohol, and in your face malt and hops, give me complexity and flavor in a light refreshing tipple and I will be a happy man. I am a bit afraid that these are not going to last long, they are already incredibly carbonated, much more of it and the bottles are going to start exploding (though I did serve this on the warm side, about 58°F). I will definitely cold store these from here on out, hopefully I can eke out a couple months more of age. (1,999 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours pale and slightly cloudy with a golden wheat colored body. Fine textured, off-white, effervescent head that fizzles out to thin rings on the surface.

Crisp and floral in the nose with plenty of mild Brett character. Dry grain mixes with mild funk. Grassy with plenty of spicy yeast.

Yeasty with lightly toasted grain. Complex funk from the Brett with tartness of juicy, light fruits: tart apple and white peach. Clean and crisp with honey and lemon. Come faint estery character blends nicely with floral notes. Lingering semidry finish with subdued booze. Clean but still with a little barnyard feel sticking around.

Crisp and bright with effervescent bubbles fade to a warmer, chalky ester/yeast feel. Lingering palate coating yeast and tart with mild bitterness. One of, if not THE, most complex renditions of the style I've had. When it comes to sours, it's hard to top Vinnie and the folks a RR. (909 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Pours a light lemon yellow, with a white foaming head. Somewhat cloudy with a vigorous pour (not recommended as per the bottle). Suds stay lightly coating the edges of the glass as the beer is enjoyed.

S: Light Belgium spices, but a woody smell perhaps maybe due to the malt. This is a unique smelling blond ale.

T: Light Belgium blonde ale taste but balanced with the mouthfeel. I haven't had anything like it. There are the typical spices, and light fruit tastes of banana and mango. However, these are not over pronounced. This is a very dry Blonde Ale compared to most. Only lightly sweet on the front of the mouth, and dry at the end. Perhaps only a light estery finish, but so much less so than most blond ales.

M: The carbonation on this is interesting. It seems to go from bubbly on the front of the tongue, to silky in the finish.

O: Perhaps the only balanced blond ale I have had. Not too sweet or spicy, but not watery. The resulting mouthfeel is perfect for this style of beer. I have a theory that they use several yeasts to produce this beer. Unlike a lot of sweeter blond ales, which tend to be good before or after a meal but not during, this would go nicely hand in hand with many foods. I verified this by heating up some left over Thai spicy catfish to accompany the last of my glass of this beer. Wow, this is heaven. (1,348 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 011

Pours a cloudy straw yellow, and even with a slow pour(as recommended), the pure white head hits the top of the tulip.

Even though I am a foot away while I pour this, I can smell the Belgian yeast scent. Up close, the yeast gains some tangy aspect, just about right. There is a light citrus and spice scent in there too.

Taste is really light, like a pilsner, just with some citrus, a touch of spice. There is a nice lemony hop finish at the end. Also the taste of a day somewhere between spring and summer, just perfect.

Feel is so smooth. Light, yet not fizzy, evaporates on the tongue and goes down perfect.

This is the ultimate session beer, low abv make this able to be drank all day. The flavor is mellow and well balanced. Don't expect it to be powerful, or strong, it's just not meant to be that way. Subtlety and balance are the focus. I almost cried a tear when I tasted this, I thought the lighter beers didn't have the flavors I was looking for anymore, yet this was stellar in all aspects.

DOA (1,023 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

A= Pours a beautiful yellow color with a nice bright white head on it that holds great retention and lacing on the side of the glass. Beautiful looking BPA.

S= A little peppery and slightly lemon zesty. A little belgian yeast spice to it that puts it together nicely. Really nice smelling beer.

T= This beer taste just like I would hope it would. Light and peppery with a little lemon zest to it. Apples and a little Belgian yeast spice to it. There is a nice little hop character to it and a slightly grassy character.

M= Delicious light and airy. Perfection.

D= This may be the most drinkable beer I've ever had. This is awesome and reminds me a little of Westy Blonde. If I could drink this everyday I would. Amazing beer. (729 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Golden. Incredibly thick head and lacing.

Smell: Herbal notes in the nose. Reminds me of Saison Dupont.

Taste: Duvel with some additional funkiness at the end would be the best way to describe this beer. Incredibly enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: as smooth as smooth can be.

Drinkability: slight funkiness in finish has me coming back for more. A lot like Damnation, which was another fine brew. (409 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

What I wouldn't give to have this beer around all the time. So much flavor with such a low abv. I picked up a bottle a few weeks back at the brewpub, but have not ever seen it on the East Coast.

The beer pours a light gold, almost lemony color. There is decent head retention and very good lacing. Pretty impressive looking for a Belgian Blond/Single (style). On the nose this beer is other wordly. Man, the cajones it takes to make a beer that smells like this. I get this incredible smell of honey and saurkraut, with enough funk in the nose to scare me (I'm not a fan of sour beers). However, there was nothing to fear, as this beer on the palate was moderately sweet and quite light on its feet. It's quite delicious and very refreshing. There are some sweet apple and cherry flavors, but they're not at all over done. There's just a hint of bitterness in the finish, and ultimately this is as drinkable a beer as I've ever encountered. A fine effort from Russian River brewing. (983 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

Batch # 10. Once again, these RR guys hit the ball out of the park. I let the bottle warm some out of the fridge, then poured according to label. Got a smallish, frothy, sudsy, off white head that soon settled to a thin cover and a bit of lace. Color is a slightly hazy amber with loads of large bubble trails. Aroma has a lot going on with yeast, malt, citrus, apples, balsamic vinegar, perfume, wet grain. Flavor is similar to nose with the carbonic tang hitting you then all those other things & it's fairly dry. Body n carbonation are perfect for style. Finish is like flavor, plus it also leaves "sweet spit", I guess as mouth's reaction to the acids. Clean and average length. Sipping beer and I bet it'd be a blast to cook with. (735 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving: Bottle into a goblet.

A: Cloudy pale straw yellow color with a quarter inch of head. Lots of carbonation is visible. It glaces the glass fairly well. Very nice.

S: Big-time belgian yeast smell. Very tripel-like. Awesome.

T: Big belgian yeast flavor, with hints of pepper, and lemon and orange peel. Faintly sweet malt backbone. Spicy up front but smooth on the finish. Very, very good.

M: Excellent for the style.

O: Very, very good belgian pale ale. I'm sad that I only bought one bottle when I had the chance. (525 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Batch 001.
(Brewed on 1-Nov-05 and Bottled on 30-Nov-05)
Primary: R.R. Belgian Ale Yeast 1
Conditioning: R.R. Wine1 & **Brettanomyces**

Described (Website) as;
5.0%ABV / 1.048 O.G / 23 BUs
Redemption: Redemption is the younger sister to our award-winning ale, Damnation. Fashioned after a Belgian-style "single," this ale is rarely brewed in America, let alone Belgium. Typically, "singles" are brewed only at the Trappist Monasteries for the monks to enjoy with meals. They often drink only half a bottle with lunch and the rest with supper, despite the beer's low alcohol content. Redemption is modest in strength, robed in warm golden hues, and soft on the palate with a smooth dry finish.

The **bottled** version is however listed at **4.8%**, a lower ABV to that described on the Website (above) I noted. In addition to that, it is **Refermented in the Bottle with Brettanomyces**. Yum!!

Presentation: Picked up four 750’s of the newly bottled Redemption whilst on a recent trip to Russian River over the New Years weekend. Dark blue label has most of the above blurb on it and Two Egg-Timers indicating that it will keep for up to 2 years.

Appearance: Shining golden body, polished aura with a very slight milky haze. Fast rising streamers plummet and crash into a deep thick white head. Bubbled sheet like lacing forms when the Glass is tilted and disappears as soon as it is righted. The longevity of the white Vicars collar lends a fantastic Duvelian showcase.

Nose: Boulangerie laden aromas; yeast, proving ovens, baked bread and fresh from the oven Danish pastry kick start the relay race. A quick switch to a zingy middle section reveals a tangy lemon citric, especially as the head settles down, the last handover reveals a sharp hoppy but lightly spiced character.

Taste: Pretty much like the nose but a little quicker out of the blocks to the second leg, the third leg slows and allows the gorgeously balanced Brett to do its stuff. Fruity yet scorching dry last third, banana and clove dance in the background, as does a reticent melon-pear fruit salad sprinkled with lemon juice. Strong parched Brett finish that remains with you.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation quickly flashes from solution and rushes the cheeks. Soft though, with a spritzy character nonetheless. The carbon dioxide is so fine that it lends this a light fluffiness with a long soothing smoothness.

Drinkability: I am into my second bottle; I really don’t trust myself to ensure that the other two bottles I have will last long enough to get to their intended destinations. High carbonation can tend to produce some seriously tangy BrettBurps, through your nose…..oh yeah baby….some would complain, but not me…..this is an all-nighter!

Overall: A Sexy Stupendous Single!!! Waaaay better than the draft version.

……quote from the RRBC Website; “Who knows if we'll continue to add Brett the Redemption to bottles in the future”….

…..WTF!? you’re kidding right Vinnie!? Seems like a No-Brainer to me!!! (3,036 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Big thanks to solomon420 for sending this beer my way.

Pours a golden yellow straw color with an amazingly soft looking bubbly head that leaves awesome lacing as it subsides.

Smell is of light bready malts with earthy aromas, kind of grassy. Great aroma for a Belgian pale.

Taste is terrific, such a crisp and refreshing flavor. This beer was tailor made for a lovely summer afternoon. Very light malt flavors with slight hop flavors, maybe saaz hops. All the flavors just exist together in harmony.

Mouthfeel is soft, like a feather pillow for the tongue. The level of carbonation is medium to high, but it's like a softer carbonation, hard to explain awesome to drink.

So drinkable, this beer is exceptional. I recommend to any and all. (744 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Very bright golden with slight haze with a shining white one finger head. This beer almost glows it's so bright

S: Belgian yeast, bread, slight citrus notes

T: Lots of juicy pear notes, some green apple, a little bit of citrus and a very small amount of hops. Russian River has nailed the small beer with this one. Nothing too complex or crazy about it, it just has all the right flavors and balanced perfectly.

M: Super crisp and refreshing, thirst quenching, with medium-high carbonation.

Overall I freakin love this one. It might be my favorite pale ale, Belgian or American style. It's just the perfect blend of flavors and is extremely refreshing. (659 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Big thanks to csmiley for bringing over the 750.

Batch #005

Redemption pours a mildly murky gold color. I suspect haze becomes more prevalent with each glass. It's topped with a nice, foamy white head that stands over a finger tall. Retention was excellent. The Sam Adams motor at the bottom of the glass kept it going quite a while. Lacing was a little on the light side.

The nose is impressive. I like it. Some sweet apple and pear notes are notable from the first whiff. It has a musky presence from Brett that permeates throughout, though it never gets to a "funky" level. Rather, it gives it a nice earthy vibe. It's a wonderful addition to the nose here and is easily the highlight. Some light spices appear to be present. Pepper is most prominent, but the spices are secondary features that never seem too strong. Belgian yeast is rather prevalent throughout. It smells absolutely delicious and never ceases to amaze me. Toward the end, a bit of hops seem to surge through that really drives things home. Very nice touch. No alcohol is noted. Damn good smelling Belgian Pale here.

The flavor profile is equally impressive. This is damn good stuff. It's sweet and fruity up front. Apple and pear flavors kick it off nicely. The impact of Brett on the flavor really can't be understated here. It imparts a strong earthy character on the beer and gives it a very tasty musk-like flavor. It's still not quite "funky," but it works extremely well and is the driving force behind Redemption's great flavor. It's a little spicier than I initially expected, but that is a secondary aspect. Pepper is noted in addition to some others, to a lesser degree, that I can't identify. Belgian yeast is rather prominent throughout and plays very nicely with the other components. I'm a big fan of that flavor and Redemption delivers on that front. Alcohol goes completely unnoticed. Not too surprising given the style. Whatever needs to be redeemed, consider it done.

Redemption features a light body that leans a little toward medium. Carbonation is active, but not quite crisp. It's very smooth and goes down far too easy. Drinkability is extremely high. I could drink this stuff all night and then some. The bottle indicates the abv is 5.65% for this batch. It's damn tasty and not intimidating at all. On the other hand, it's very inviting.

I'm not sure that Vinnie and crew had anything in particular that needed to be redeemed, but if they did, this more than does the trick. Redemption is a top notch Belgian Pale that fits pretty squarely within its style guidelines. The use of Brett here works wonders. It complements its Belgian Pale characteristics wonderfully. There's no question that Russian River brews wonderful beer and Redemption is no exception. Do yourself a favor and find a bottle...now. (2,806 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

batch 001 750 corked and caged bottle of redemption. label says 4.8% abv.

sunny orange hue with a white head that faded pretty fast.

aroma is tangerine, lime, mint, perfume, vegetable and earth.

taste is light on the tongue, dry, very subtle. tangy and zesty, hints of duvel-like yeast character. brett funk comes through in the aftertaste especially as it warms, with slight barnyard characteristic and a touch medicinal/band-aid quality, but nothing over the top. creates great complexity while keeping the beer drinkable.

despite it's light flavor this paired well with a pan-seared NY strip steak, broiled asparagus, shallot/butter/lemon pan sauce and french bread. the dryness and earthy undertones with bright flavors on top provided a good backbone and contrast.

overall an amazingly good drinking beer. dry, light, complex and delicious. (860 characters)

Redemption from Russian River Brewing Company