Redemption - Russian River Brewing Company

RedemptionRedemption

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.15% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 05-09-2004

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,505 | Reviews: 543

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Batch 11 poured into a chalice.
A small white head is produced and has excellent retention. Hazy yellow/gold. Lively carbonation can be seen.
Citrus/lemon, grass, ‘naner, and a slight spicyness. You can definitely pick up on the yeast.
Fruity and spicy.
Prickly on the tongue and a light-med body.
Not quite on par with its Belgian brewed counterparts but still a solid beer.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to Rconn006 for sending this. Batch 011. Consumed on 1/29/12. Poured from the bottle into a New Belgium tulip. It pours out a beautiful pale clear gold with lots of cascading bubbles and a big frothy white head. The nose is very champagne-like with notes of pears, apples, and bananas.

The taste follows the nose. There's a very faint sweetness in the front of the mouth, but the action is all at mid-palate with a nice fruity, peppery, champagne-like, appetizing dryness. I'm getting faint lemon and pear notes as well. The beer has a very light body and a nice thin mouthfeel, but it seems much livelier due to the high level of carbonation. The bubbles tickle and stimulate your palate constantly.

I don't have a lot of experience with this particular style. Overall, this was a thoroughly enjoyable drinking experience. I wish I could easily get RR beers. Living in Kentucky, I'm forced to acquire them via trade. Definitely worth the effort.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Poured into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. This bottle comes from batch 011.

Appearance: As poured the beer is a hazed lemon yellow color with a ¼” white head and visible carbonation. The head soon recedes to a ring of foam and a thin layer over the surface of the liquid. A few legs of lacing stick to the sides of the glass. Sipping leaves scattered patches of lacing that cling to the side of the glass.

Smell: The aroma is soft, gentle and faintly grassy and herbal. There are some citric notes here and I think I’m picking up a the yeast as well.

Taste: The flavors include some lemony citrus and some herbal, grassy character from the hops. There is also some bready sweetness here from the malts. I’m also picking up a trace of earthy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium bodied and has a creamy smoothness from the adequate soft and gentle carbonation. The finish is medium in length, beginning with some faint bready sweetness, then showing a bit of lemony citrus before it turns grassy, with a touch of earthy bitter and a bit of dryness as it disappears.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: With the Westvleteren Blonde having sold me on the drinkability of this beer style I was looking forward to this one and to seeing how it would compare to my 10 month old memories of that beer. I was not disappointed. The Redemption is a clean, crisp, easy sipper with one sip following another easily and comfortably. My overall impression is that this beer would show well in a side by side tasting with the Westvleteren Blonde and that I’ll be more than happy to be finding and drinking this again.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

375ml bottle of batch 8, poured into a medium-sized Duvel tulip. Thanks to jethrodium for sending this one my way.

A: Crystal clear pale straw body with a thin, frothy, off-white head. Clingy lace. Nice.

S: Piercy, fresh aroma of lemons, bread crust, and some grassiness. Simple and lovely.

T: Lemony up front, with bready malt carrying through solidly to a long, dry, spicy finish. Very grassy and herbal on the tail end, with strong hops bitterness closing everything out. Good stuff.

M: Delicate body with some light, creamy carbonation. Solid.

O: This wasn't a normal Belgian Pale by any means, and it was thoroughly enjoyable in its uniqueness. I loved the way the dry yeastiness and substantial hoppiness combined to make it immensely crisp and clean, even after quite some time (the trade in which I received this happened over a year ago). I'd love to try this fresh.

Cheers!

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from 375mL brown bottle Batch 009 to snifter glass.

A - The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a 1 finger cream colored head. Good retention and some lacing.

S -Fruity aroma with apple, light lemons, pear. Yeast character also strong.

A: A hazy yellow straw color with a half finger white head. Full glass lacing lingers.

T - The beer starts with the fruity character immediately, some tones as the nose: apple, light lemon, and pear. The beer opens in the middle slightly with some yeast character with some spice a bit of clove. The bitterness is very mild. The beer finishes very very crisp.

M - A bit over carbonated in my opinion. Light bodied.

D - Decent.

Overall, I was glad to try this beer but won't be back. I found the excessive carbonation really took away from the flavor and dominated the beer.

Reviewed on: 02-26-2011 01:57:39

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Batch 10
Wonderful extra from KevSal

A- Hazy lemon curd pour with a two finger tight bubbled white head. Lacing is sticky and chunky.

S- Bright yeast smell, with apples, pears, vanilla and a light refreshing grass notes.

T- Apple skins, pear, grapes, light lemon and vanilla. Grassy and light yeast.

M- Light bodied, good carbonation.

O- Second time having this and it just blows my mind how good this is.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.22/5  rDev +5%

A- pours yellow with a frothy head

S- yeast, citrus, yeast, vanilla

T- yeasty Belgium beer goodness with a vanilla-ey rootbeer-ey finish.

M- very good carbonation medium bodied with smooth finish.

O- I like this beer. It is very drinkable and I like the text on the back explaining the style. I get a root beer type flavor which reminds me of my youth. RR does it for me again!

3.35/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured into an oversized wine glass at altitude in Denver.

A: Pours a clear yellow color with a thin white head of almost no retention. Little in the way of lacing.

S: Slightly funky yeast notes are by far the most prominent, with hints of dark fruits in the background.

T: Complex yeast notes all the way through, with a bit of citric sourness on the finish. While I like the flavors, there’s an overarching watery flavor that puts me off; the flavors don’t linger at all.

M: Light- to medium-bodied with a slightly drying finish and some prickly carbonation. Spot on.

D: Not bad, but not something I would buy again. Certainly my least favorite Russian River offering to date.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

3.97/5  rDev -1.2%

batch 008 (might say batch 005, hard to read)...but thanks to G311 for the swap (and almost swap again next week!).

a - opened the bottle and filled my russian river "tion" glass. poured an almost clear that settled in the glass as a transparent pale yellow with raging carbonation. head was super thick and frothy and fuzzed away like a milk shake. the bottle was somewhat explosive, but i was fast on the draw, but that could explain the abundance of head on this brew.

s - crisp and clean. soft citrus with yeast.

t - crisp and clean with an almost vanilla tingle. yeasty with some lemons.

m - lots of carbonation, but not overly so. VERY smooth and easy to drink.

o - overall, unassuming. nice BPA, but not an archetype for the style, but certainly a non-polarizing beer. seems like a safe take on the style since it is so soft it is almost like drinking a flavored water. enjoyable, but not something i'll be ISO'ing for swap.

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 011

Pours a cloudy straw yellow, and even with a slow pour(as recommended), the pure white head hits the top of the tulip.

Even though I am a foot away while I pour this, I can smell the Belgian yeast scent. Up close, the yeast gains some tangy aspect, just about right. There is a light citrus and spice scent in there too.

Taste is really light, like a pilsner, just with some citrus, a touch of spice. There is a nice lemony hop finish at the end. Also the taste of a day somewhere between spring and summer, just perfect.

Feel is so smooth. Light, yet not fizzy, evaporates on the tongue and goes down perfect.

This is the ultimate session beer, low abv make this able to be drank all day. The flavor is mellow and well balanced. Don't expect it to be powerful, or strong, it's just not meant to be that way. Subtlety and balance are the focus. I almost cried a tear when I tasted this, I thought the lighter beers didn't have the flavors I was looking for anymore, yet this was stellar in all aspects.

DOA

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

from notes - split with my nigga D! pours an opaque blonde with a decent white head that falls quickly leaving solid lacing. the aroma is a lemony zest with the most subtle tart you can imagine. the taste is....something you really have to search for but it delicately tart with the same lemon as in the nose not real yeasty and alcohol is not present. the mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is moderate, i will say this is easy to drink but this beer is just lacking it. overall i didn't even finish my glass and i will not be revisiting this. i thought this was par, ok maybe this is what they wanted to brew but not for me. SDUB it son!

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a tulip from a bottle batch 11.

A: Pale straw color with a thin white head.

S: Ripe fruits at first with a lot of citrus and slight spice, pepper perhaps. Complex and inviting.

T: Lemon and other citrus, grassy earthy even, slight pepper.

M: Lively, foamy and fizzy carb.

O: Really easy to drink, but a bit pricey for me. I prefer it's brother beer Damnation.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Redemption from Russian River Brewing Company