Sanctification - Russian River Brewing Company

SanctificationSanctification

Wants: 1,079
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  6.75% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 10-27-2004)
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle. Batch 004. Poured into a tulip glass a cloudy orange straw color with a slight white head that collars around the glass. The nose is pretty Brett with a very floral type aroma but not overly so in a bad way. The taste is fairly smooth with a strong Brett floral flavor. Some white wine like notes. Light mouthfeel. The lemon and sweetness is really nice in this beer. The Brett flavors really do a nice job in this beer.

kbutler1, Dec 29, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this. Poured into snifter.

Pours a light layer of white head. Color is a bright golden prairie straw. Good retention.

Aroma: Very golden ale like. Some herbal flavors with some floral notes. It is funky and has a decent amount of brett. It has some lemon citrus and a bit of sweetness.

Taste: Very similar to the nose. More brett here. Lemon citrus and sweetness. It has herbal and floral notes with a touch of spice. Again, very golden ale like with Belgian yeast. Has a grape/wine like flavor with some oak. Solid.

Mouthfeel: Dry and crisp. Pretty clean. Lighter bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends pretty clean.

Overall, a really nice sour beer for RR. It was different from their others, but still good. Pretty drinkable. I was a fan of this one.

mothman, Dec 29, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -12%

Not my favorite offering from RR but still a good beer.

Delicate straw orange color with lots of lacing and a nice head. Semi clear, has some haze to it though.

The smell is of funky, barnyard yeast saison with notes of bright fruit, brett.

Nice classic funk in the taste with a lesser wheaty saison base. Lemongrass notes are prominent, but theres a metallic edge that isn't great to it. Sweet as well. The mouth is good overall, bright on the palate.

Dreadnaught33, Dec 28, 2010

Had this on draft last week at Russian River Brewing Co. listed on their board as "100% Brettanomyces, 6.25%ABV" for $4 -poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a fairly clean straw-like hue, with a constant light effervescence, and basically no head and not much lacing either.

S: Very mellow woodiness and light Brett funk, green apples and grain.

T: Very mellow and similar to the nose, light funk, mild sourness with a grainy/bready finish. This is an extremely friendly Wild Ale and would be a good starting point for someone who wants to get into these types of wild/sour ales.

M: Light-bodied and similar feel to a dry champagne - smooth, crisp and clean, mellow carbonation and a bit of lactic bitterness that lingers a while, but is not overaggressive by any means.

D: All day drinker, especially in the hot summer months.

DeanMoriarty, Dec 21, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle shared by Joe - much obliged! Batch 004.

Pours a hazy golden color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light malts and huge amounts of brett - funk, wet hay, and light citrus.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Light malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by large hits of brett. There's less funk than in the aroma and the wet hay and citrus hold more sway in the flavor profile. The lightly tart citrus flavors intensify through to the end of the sip before they fade out into a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have another.

Overall after my first sniff of the beer I knew this was the most brett-forward beer I've had from RR. After giving it a few sips I found it to be close to a drier and more brett-forward version of Temptation. A very good beer that's well worth a shot.

glid02, Nov 20, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

Picked this up at Plumpjack Wine Store in San Francisco. Batch 004.

Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Appearance: Lightly hazed, golden body with a very thin, white, sticky head. A sparse column of carbonation stems from the etched bottom. Good retention. Impressive lacing.

Smell: Whoa! I can't help but smile when smelling this. Brett, overripe banana, lemon, flowers, and leafy vegetation. Pungent, complex, balanced, and gorgeous. Can't get enough of this.

Taste: Brett, lemon peel, candy-like tartness (think Warheads), and lighter flowery and/or herbal flavors - awesome!

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium in body, moderate-to-high in carbonation, and very tart. There's a bit of creaminess to this one, and I dig it. Very nicely done.

Drinkability: Very sour, very complex, and very enjoyable. Get some!

ThreeWiseMen, Nov 05, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle cracked open during an all day tailgate affair at the Penn State Michigan game last weekend. First, mighty props to ipa247 for sending a bottle of Sanctification my way. Jeff is a first team all BA pro; thanks Jeff.

A - Poured from a chilled bottle into an awaiting snifter. Pours a nice yellow with a white pillowy head. Pretty much what I expected.

S/T - Pretty much what has been written by the masses here. Smell is brett and citrus, with lemon seeming to rule the road. Taste is magnificent. I think I actually prefer this to the other RR beers that I have had including Temp, Supp, Damn, and Consecration. Tart but not overly sour, with a pleasing lemon citrus taste balancing out the brett. I would say that this is damn near sessionable.

M - Pretty nice along the lines expected. Tart, crisp, and refreshing.

D - Really nice as said above, I could knock back a lot more of this than I had.

Thanks again Jeff. Always appreciate your generosity.

Beerisheaven, Nov 02, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to mymrnngjckt for the bottle!
Batch 004

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. A thin white film sits on top of a mostly clear, golden-yellow, body. Gets a little cloudier as we get towards the bottom of the bottle. Light lacing.

Sour bready malts with citrus on the nose. Grapefruit with a touch of earthy grassiness. Light brett presence. Touch of acidity.

Nice acidic sourness on the tongue. Brett funk is light at this point, but adds some dryness. Light bready malts with citrus. Lemon and grapefruit. Quite good as a fresh sour.

Mouthfeel has some good sourness to it. Somewhat dry already from the brett. Spritzy carbonation.

This is an easy drinker. Another solid addition to the Russian River lineup. This one seems more sour fresh than Temptation, yet I still prefer Temptation to this beer. Would probably pick this over Supplication or Consecration though. I'd really like to get another bottle for the cellar. I think this could be even better in another 2-3 years.

sisuspeed, Nov 02, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Handling this bad boy on my own tonight, my first sampling of this beer in the bottle and my first taste of it in over 3 years. Batch 004.

Poured at 45 degrees into a tulip. The appearance is mind blowingly beautiful. A standard half at 45 degree, rest at normal height pour provided a big 3 finger width bright white pillowy looking head. Retention is incredible, and eventually mellows out into about a 1/2 inch head that sticks all over the glass in bubble bath fashion. Most bubbles are small, creating a fine head texture. Wow, all that writing just for the head? Yes.

Onto the body... An awe-inspiring slightly hazy yellow that reminds me of a hay-bail, but there's orange highlights too, and every color in between as my eyes dart around the glass. Rising bubbles from the depths keep the head afloat seemingly forever.

The smell is a crazy promotion for what brettanomyces can add to a beer. Incredibly complex aromas, if I listed them all I would go over the 5,000 character limit. A few prominent aromas I can pick out are: Lemon, Apple, Lime, Straw/Hay, Pineapple, Peach, Earthy, Musty Funk, Black Pepper, and Spicy Clove.

Again, quite impressive, I can't fault it at all. It's hard to imagine Vinnie was holding this beer back because it was "sick", well I never thought I'd say this but, the doctor that cured it deserves a raise! Everything I mentioned in the smell can also be perceived by taste, but additionally there's a bunch of tartness in that lemony flavor and a good deal of zing. On top of that, in that tropical fruit range I am able to pick out coconut too, along with other stone fruits like apricot, and pear. The funk goes on for days and has so much depth that interacts so perfectly with the straw/hay/grassy character to make it seem "rustic".

The mouthfeel is relatively light and spritzy, and I think it's about where it should be for a beer deriving from a blonde ale. Pops in the mouth, has a great head texture, it's the whole package. It is BONE DRY. There's something intangible here that's preventing a perfect score in this category, but I can't describe it with words.

Overall the beer is fantastic. I don't know what it is about this beer, but it just suits me. When I had read Vinnie changed the recipe a lot with Batch 004, I was extremely worried in what I would think about the changes. It is different than it was, it's less sour, no longer mouth puckering. I would argue that it's basically the same beer underneath the covers, but the complexity has gone off the charts. The downplayed sourness has allowed this beer to speak the rest of its mind. Vinnie was leaning more towards Orval with this batch, and he nailed it with the funk, but added the tartness and more tropical flavors underneath. An absolute masterpiece. I can't imagine ever coming across a beer that rivals this one.

Bubba83, Oct 27, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a slightly hazy yellow gold body under a carefully managed one finger fizzy white head. Moderate visible carbonation. The nose is just full-on bretty goodness. Soft maltiness, and some fruity notes. Quite beautiful in its simplicity. Unique slightly biting acidity over a very soft doughy light malt. Finishes with some lemon zest, pineapple, and lots of cellar funk. A little bit of lingering pixie stick. Mouthfeel is light and airy with engaging pinpiont bursts of carbonation. A really great beer, and a nice showcase for all that is great about Brettanomyces...

hophead247, Oct 19, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -21.3%

On tap at RRBC. Batch 4, released around June 2010.

A: Pours a hazy straw body with a finger of off-white foam. Great retention, and it leaves thick washes of lace down the snifter as I drink. Can't fault anything here; it's great to look at.

S: Lemon zest, with a tartness suggesting sourness. The brett imparts a nice horse blanket aroma, hay, a touch of spice, and something else fruity (I am labeling this apricot).

T: Tart lemon zest, but as I implied in the nose, no actual sourness. It's just a bretty funk that delivers flavors of horse blanket, hay, apricot. The finish is... well, the closest approximation I can make is earthy and metallic. It's bitter, but not quite in a hoppy way, and it's not exactly a standard brett flavor (at least, one that I recognize). It reminds me more of aspirin. I detected this in the bottle and it was off-putting. I taste it here again on tap, so it wasn't just the one bottle. If others are tasting the same thing, they're certainly not noting it. In any case, I consider it a distinct flaw.

M: It's dry, with a lingering aspirin-like finish (see above). Effervescent and properly carbed.

D: I've avoided reviewing Batch 4 because I'm just not a big fan of it. When it warms, the metallic taste fades and it becomes better, but it's never quite right to me. I don't care to drink this too much.

Arbitrator, Oct 18, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Batch 4, 750ml corked and caged bottle care of CaptinRedBeard. Thanks Corey for sharing this brew.

Poured into a 6oz snifter, Sanctification appears a light hazed yellow color with a white cap of foam that fades quickly leaving faint spots of lace along the glass.

The nose of this brew is bretty with some light fruit flavors minorly reminescent of lemon zest. The primary characteristic of this brew's aroma is the funky goodness imparted by the brett and a minor almost lactic quality.

The taste of this brew is just like the aroma led on, primarily influenced by brett with some wet leathery character that clings to the tongue. A slight lemony rind flavor is evident just like the nose suggested. Throughout the body are funky notes, earthy, lactic and a light suggestion of something I keep coming across that seems to me to be quite plastic-like. It isn't offputting in any way but just adds a unique character to the brew.

This is a light bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is super drinkable and has a minor puckering quality to the tongue that made me salivate in ancitipation of the next sip.

stakem, Oct 18, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Had on tap at Russian River. Nice medium golden color with about a finger of head. Smells lightly of citrus, heavy Brett, some tree fruit like apple and pear. Nice fruity flavors, dry. Great sour bite without ripping my face off. Nice mouthfilling small bubbles. Dangerously drinkable. One of my favorite sours ever.

WestValleyIPA, Oct 15, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: poured a murky apricot orange with pineapple yellow highlights that had a finger of white head that dissipated quite fast but it did leave some bubbly lacing sticking to the glass.

S: a very nice bouquet of cirtus and oaky barrel funk from the brett pop out first on the nose with slight apples, vinegar, and acidic character which makes me think its gonna be nice and sour. It also has some vinous notes as well.

T: very tasty acidic citrus, vine grapes, and apple fruit mesh very well with corky barrel musty funk. You can definitely tell that it had brett but I also seemed to pick up apricot flavor and a touch of underlying spice.

M: the brew was medium in body with a perfect amount of prickly carbonation which had an acidic, fruity, bretty, slight spice, and tart finish.

D: it was drinking amazing and after every sip it I was fiending for more. Russian river really knows how to brew these wild ales and this one is definitely no exception. I'm really glad I was able to get my hands on one.

Gobzilla, Oct 11, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml corked & caged bottle poured into a Weyerbacher tulip; shared at a tasting.

A: Vibrant gold body with a 1/2" head of miniscule, fleeting white foam. Exciting, but not fantastic.

S: Pure, straightforward, intense and lovely lactic sourness. Tart lemons, and some slightly more balanced funk. Excellent.

T: Starts out purely sour, and soon opens into a more nuanced, cheesy, dry funk. Clean, dry finish. Very sour, very crisp, very good.

M: Fairly light bodied with a big burst of lively, prickly carbonation. Great with the tartness.

D: It's super sour, but I say bring it on. I could kill a 750 easy. I hope I can someday.

Notes: Huge thanks to Tony for sharing this gem. I'd actually been trying (unsuccessfully) to trade for a bottle, so it was awesome to see this make an appearance. It definitely lived up to my high expectations for RR - Sanctification is simply a delicious sour, and earns bonus points for truly earning the title. Great stuff.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Oct 07, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

There are a lot of "wants" and not many "gots" for this one, so thank you Matt (aka. Huhzubenbuh) for bringing this brew to a recent tasting. What a treat!

A: Pours a semi-dark yellow, with milky type cloudiness, and a generous foamy white head that was obviously the product of bottle refermenting.

S: Wow, the bottle says that this was "Fermented with 100% Brettanomyces" and really, that trademark sourness is all I'm getting on the nose.

T: Not a sour as I was expecting. The intense yeast in the beer washes away a lot of the "Sour Patch Kid" quality, actually making the brew a bit more refreshing. The finish is somewhat dry.

M: The sour hits, but doesn't linger and the beer is not on the sweet side of the spectrum at all.

D: I wonder if I'll ever get to try this brew again? I'll sure I will at some point and I sure hope so. Look out winemakers....there's a new enemy in town - "Sanctification."

Chaney, Oct 06, 2010

Batch 004

Opens with a formidable pop. Pours brilliant gold with a finger of head which settles to a thin foam cap.

Aroma is hops and funk, pineapple, and huge amounts of tangy citrus

Taste is tart, citrusy, hoppy, very light funk, with that classic RR musty cellar Brett aftertaste. Lemony, grassy hay. Delicate malt comes forward as it warms, with a dry, crackery finish.

Mouthfeel is slightly slick with moderate carbonation.

This is an easy to drink beer, not wildly complex (yet, hopefully!), very delicious. Here's hoping it can develop in the bottle from a good beer to a great beer.

MrFootstones, Sep 29, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

Drank at our Epic Chicago Tasting (I'm like 200 reviews behind).

A - Light golden color with a bit of off-white head. Not much retention with a slight bit of random lacing that didn't look all that great.

S - Reminds me of a toned down version of Temptation with some brett funk in it. Solid.

T - It tastes pretty good actually, really does taste like Temptation with some brett funk. Decent amount of sourness, with a little bit of oak, brett kind of detracts in my opinion. Nice sour bite on the end.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied, appropriate carbonation.

D - I think this is getting the RR sour benefit here, it's good, but not nearly as good as some of their other offerings. I like Temptation much better.

AgentZero, Sep 28, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle into Delirium Noël glass. Batch 004.

A: Pours a bright, slightly hazy golden color with a thin forthy bright white head that reduced into a thick self-regenerating film that left streaks of wispy lace down the glass.
S: Nose is full of lightly tart fruits and loads of funky brett. Notes of white grapes and white peaches.
T: Flavors are musty and fruity. I can still taste the Belgian blond base of this beer, but the brett has pretty much completely taken over. There is a light acidic tartness with a fair amount of sweet and bitter. Hints of apricot, pear, peach, and lemon come through as well. Aftertaste is sour rather than tart, and fairly dry.
M: Sourness intensifies near the end of the bottle. Not nearly as sour as some of RR other offering, but this one is definitely balanced very well. Medium bodied with soft carbonation.
D: Another refreshing and well-made wild ale from RR. Extremely drinkable and smooth. I'm looking forward to see what a couple years of aging does to this one.

EDIT: Batch 3 consumed 7/16/2011 (thanks Mike!)
Much more funky and dry than batch 4 or batch 5. The dryness was especially noticeable. This is definitely the best batch I've had, and it's almost a completely different beer from the other two.

scottfrie, Sep 26, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Batch 4 poured into a Stone Levitation flute. Review from notes.

4.0 A: Cloudy yellow medium-dark yellow color. Two fingers of frothy white head. Good retention and some lacing.

4.5 S: Apple cider. Loads of funkiness with lots of fruitiness as well. Barnyard, dank hay, wild apple, pear, and peach. Lots of spiciness too with clove and something similar to corriander.

4.0 T: Mildly acidic for just a touch of sourness. Fairly dry, but fruity with peach, pear, and wild apple again. Funky with horse blanket and muskiness. This didn't have a whole lot of flavor, especially for being all Brett. Good, not great.

3.5 M: Lighter body. Sour and dry finish. Good carbonation. Could be creamier.

3.5 D: Somewhat boring for a RR wild, but still solid.

DavoleBomb, Sep 25, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

750ml corked bottle, batch 4 - split and served in Stone Levitation flutes with a BA buddy

A - pours with two fingers of fluffy, sudsy white foam...clinging to the glass already as it falls, leaving random spots behind. the beer is quite cloudy, bright gold in color.

S - balanced funk, hay, fields, Brett with sour apples, grapes, and lemon. oaky vanilla sweetness more noticeable as it warms.

T - begins slightly sour, powdery candy, good bit of sweet fruits right away with white grapes and green apple. funky yeast slides in next with a bit of live fields and barnyard. oak and vanilla sweetness rounds out the end. warmed, a bit of metallic battery taste and vinegar slowly creep in.

M - insanely dry, leaves your mouth thirsty for something to wash it down. gets worse with each sip. airy carbonation fizzles in the mouth.

D - well, only a slight disappointment. good beer but imho not quite as good as the other RR sours. mouthfeel really starts to wear and tear about halfway through a glass.

Stigs, Sep 24, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A delicious and savory Sour Ale that puts on a tart and fruity display without challenging the palate too much.

The beer pours a glowing and cloudy light gold color. A dainty but creamy head forms on the beer, retains well, and laces remarkably. A fantastic appearance overall.

Sharp tartness of under-rippened fruits of peaches and berries accompany green apples, lemons, and a light spicy/grassy note, presumably from hops. Lightly must and dusty, stopping just shy of horse-y or barnyard aromas.

Medium lemon flavors take precidence early on in flavor, but flavors of peach, crab apple, berries, and white grapes rise to give complexity and roundness to the initial tartness. Cracker-like maltiness provides just enough of a buffer to protect the palate from the onslaught of the sourness, still a far cry from an attempt to balance. Hop flavor gives an earthy, spicy, and maybe even citrus flavor that rides just behind the wild yeast tartness.

Modestly creamy early, the beer makes a quick transition to crispness, cleaness, and ultimate refreshing nature. The sourness strips the thirst from the palate with ease, making this beer much more drinkable than it should be. Bitterness weaves in and out of a mild astringent character and blurs the lines between the two.

Delicious and with very high drinkability, this Sour Blonde seems to have a softer base beer than many others and makes it effortless to taste. The Brett character is young, yet to allow the more complex aromas and flavors of deep must, decaying oak, and even horse blanked notes to develop- but they will given proper cellaring. Regardless, this beer is an absolute joy to drink- consistent from the pour to finish.

Thanks Auroracrisis!

BEERchitect, Sep 22, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Corked and caged 750 ml bottle of batch four split with a friend. From a tulip glass 09/04/10.

Bright and clear blonde beer is topped by a surprisingly large white head. Head settles quickly to a smallish crown. Lacing is nice.

Aroma is more bretty than probably any American beer I've tried. The extra time in the bottle this spent conditioning would seem to have really allowed the brett to develop. Some sour lactic aromas are also there but not near as dominant.

Nice fruity flavor on the entry leads to a dry finish and a delayed but strong, earthy, brett-funk aftertaste. There's a nice lemon rind sourness in here but nowhere near as sour or tart as some of Vinnie's other barrel aged beers. Alcohol is well hidden, wouldn't have guessed it at 6.75. Light mouthfeel similar to Temptation.

Not quite as complex in flavor as some of my favorite Russian River beers but a great vehicle to showcase what brett can do for a beer.

berkey, Sep 05, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

From a 750ml shared by a generous BA. Thanks, Zack.

Pours a hazy golden with a dense white head. Aroma is sharply tart. Funky sour fruits present up front, with hints of Belgian style yeast throughout.

Taste is pleasingly sour. Not overbearing, not too simple. Just right. A good balance of sour and funk, with a crisp finish. This is a great beer for sipping on a warm summer evening. Mouth is superb, very well carbonated. Would love to have these readily available.

This has to be some of the best stuff going in the American Wild category. Glad to have had the change to try it.

mondegreen, Aug 30, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Batch 004. Pours an almost clear, very bubbly golden color with a nice frothy white head (clear become cloudy when I get lower in the bottle). Scent immediately once corked was lemons. When putting my nose to the glass I get light funk and some belgian yeasts. Then I get a bit of spice along with some grassy lemon scents. As the beer warms a bit, I get more funky/sour notes. The taste is VERY lemony with a definite Belgian yeast backbone. The brett is very noticeable in the taste. I get some very sour/tart flavors that are mouth-puckeringly tasty. The aftertaste leaves a bit of a pear with a hint of oak and leather taste. Very tasty. Mouthfeel is very crisp and refreshing. Not too full, and not to light either. The drinkability is fairly high, especially on these warm summer nights.

DovaliHops, Aug 20, 2010